The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 16, 2018, 03:57:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2018, 03:57:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Druid Handbook  (Read 9542 times)
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm
United States United States

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 19, 2008, 05:22:53 pm »

Went on a trip to the local bookstore (a decent one, not the comercial sell-outs Grin) and purchased The Druid's Handbook by John Michael Greer, but I see that he borrows heavily on Robert Graves.  Did I just waste $20 or is there something worthwile in it?

And does anyone else agree with me that authors who publish crap should be covered in honey and feed to ants?

A show of hands, anyone?

*Síocháin*

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 19, 2008, 10:06:21 pm »

Went on a trip to the local bookstore (a decent one, not the comercial sell-outs Grin) and purchased The Druid's Handbook by John Michael Greer, but I see that he borrows heavily on Robert Graves.  Did I just waste $20 or is there something worthwile in it?

And does anyone else agree with me that authors who publish crap should be covered in honey and feed to ants?

A show of hands, anyone?

Greer is pretty respected by the Druid community, from my understanding. Obviously, he's no recon, but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for. From a "I'm looking for something Celtic" perspective, it's not too bad. I haven't read it since I bought it, so I'd have to dig it out for more in depth review, but it's not the worst thing you could've spent your twenty on.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 19, 2008, 10:17:48 pm »

A show of hands, anyone?

Greer is pretty generally respected, period.  He writes things that make sense.  If he borrows on Graves, it's probably him trying to glean the wheat from the chaff.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 19, 2008, 10:42:17 pm »

I would have to agree with Jorgath, I have his book Monsters A Field Guide to Hunting them. It sounds really dumb, but, he is at EVERY turn saying the first step to any investigation is say that it is a hoax, and try to DISPROVE the investigation, if you can't then it may well be real and you can continue to investigate with a BUNCH of safety precautions (mundane safety and some magical, but more mundane). So my whole point is, I would imagine that if is using a bad source, it's probably to sift through it.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: March 20, 2008, 07:54:21 am »

I would have to agree with Jorgath, I have his book Monsters A Field Guide to Hunting them. It sounds really dumb, but, he is at EVERY turn saying the first step to any investigation is say that it is a hoax, and try to DISPROVE the investigation, if you can't then it may well be real and you can continue to investigate with a BUNCH of safety precautions (mundane safety and some magical, but more mundane). So my whole point is, I would imagine that if is using a bad source, it's probably to sift through it.

I also have the monster book and I think the trying to disprove it first is a good touch.  However there are some things that made me raise my eyebrows.  For example, he said that lake monsters are dragons (actually, probably not too far a stretch) and the ufos and their occupants are really just modern incarnations of the fey.

And his section on vampires made me want to throw the book across the room.  I don't have time to check but IIRC he said that in folklore, vampires were always spirits of the dead that fed off psychic energy.  Then, I think he says that the idea of a resurrected corpse that drinks blood came from the imagination of Western European gothic writers.  I'll check to verify this later when I have more time and energy.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 20, 2008, 11:45:41 am »

I also have the monster book and I think the trying to disprove it first is a good touch.  However there are some things that made me raise my eyebrows.  For example, he said that lake monsters are dragons (actually, probably not too far a stretch) and the ufos and their occupants are really just modern incarnations of the fey.

And his section on vampires made me want to throw the book across the room.  I don't have time to check but IIRC he said that in folklore, vampires were always spirits of the dead that fed off psychic energy.  Then, I think he says that the idea of a resurrected corpse that drinks blood came from the imagination of Western European gothic writers.  I'll check to verify this later when I have more time and energy.

No need!  I grab my handy Vampire Slayers' Field Guide to the Undead by Shane MacDougall! 

I'm too lazy to write up an exact quote, but the "psychic energy" idea comes straight out of one place I could find in a hurry: the United States of America.  Most other vampire legends are of resurrected corpses, many of which drink blood or otherwise consume body parts.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: March 20, 2008, 03:44:10 pm »

No need!  I grab my handy Vampire Slayers' Field Guide to the Undead by Shane MacDougall! 

I'm too lazy to write up an exact quote, but the "psychic energy" idea comes straight out of one place I could find in a hurry: the United States of America.  Most other vampire legends are of resurrected corpses, many of which drink blood or otherwise consume body parts.

Actually, I think many cultures worldwide have beliefs in psychic vampires (I'm thinking about some African tribes but it's been a while since I read up on it).

Back to Greer, I just skimmed a little bit of the vampire section of the monster book (because that is the part I have done considerable reading in) and I found some objectionable things:

• He says that Vlad Dracula's real last name was Tepes.  No, he used Dracula as his surname.  Tepes (meaning "the impaler") was a name given to him by his enemies.
  • Sunlight and garlic are universal vampire deterrents.  While that may be true for garlic, the sunlight thing was mainly the work of filmmakers.  In some areas, vampires attacked during the day instead of at night.
  • And as I mentioned earlier in this thread, he said that most folkloric vampires are "predatory ghosts" and that the reanimated corpse is a minority view.
I'm not in a mood to critique the entire section so I'll leave it at that.

My Spiritual Blog
nigel
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 20, 2008, 04:06:18 pm »

Well, ya, it's not a perfect book, by any means. There were a number of places I was like, wait, what? Like the vampire section, however, it was an interesting thing linking UFO sightings with Fairies.

I'm a naughty monkey
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: March 20, 2008, 04:23:07 pm »

linking UFO sightings with Fairies.

Say what?

The only thing I've run into with Greer is someone over on Get Religion stamping his feet when I said he wouldn't be accepted as a source by all Recons. That was a long conversation.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
nigel
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 20, 2008, 04:31:21 pm »

Well, he basically said that the way we talk about UFO's and the like are analogous to how ancient people talked about fairies.

I'm a naughty monkey
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: March 20, 2008, 04:46:28 pm »

Well, he basically said that the way we talk about UFO's and the like are analogous to how ancient people talked about fairies.

I found that to be one of the more interesting ideas, actually.

My Spiritual Blog
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: March 20, 2008, 06:27:07 pm »

The only thing I've run into with Greer is someone over on Get Religion stamping his feet when I said he wouldn't be accepted as a source by all Recons. That was a long conversation.

GASP!

But he's published by Llewellyn!  They're known for only publishing the MOST reputable authors!

*quickly turns away*

Sorry, I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

My Spiritual Blog
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: March 20, 2008, 09:05:34 pm »

Aha. Now I get it.

Really, can you imagine going back in time and flicking your Bic? Probably get your ass burned at the stake.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: March 20, 2008, 09:12:32 pm »

GASP!

But he's published by Llewellyn!  They're known for only publishing the MOST reputable authors!

*quickly turns away*

Sorry, I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

This was actually a very strange conversation. One of the guys had Greer placed as some sort of Pagan theological wunderkind and was going on and on about how he couldn't wait for someone like that to get involved in discussions amongst the various Recon faiths about all the similarities and such. I just finally told him that I didn't really give a rat's ass how revered the guy might be amongst Celtic Recons, but he carried zero weight amongst Greek Recons and I would be interested in watching the conversation he had with us.

The guy also mentioned some professor who apparently spent his time unearthing Native American and Chinese religious similarities and then doing the usual pointing at commonalities and equating the religions.

I'm not sure when people got it in their minds that someone who might be considered a religious authority on the Chinese religions won't be considered an authority on the Greek religions.

Like I said. It was a very strange conversation.

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: March 21, 2008, 12:34:42 am »

Yeah.  i have the book too, and appreciated that "it's probably a hoax or mistake, most of the time" attitude.  But what did bother me, IIRC, is that he has a very specific worldview, about energies, etc., that he then proceeds to universalize.  I didn't like the universalization.  Also, his stuff on vampires was not really correct, if one looks at folklore.  The most consistent ways of getting rid of a vampire are either beheading or cremation, and in most European contexts, they were, indeed, reanimated corpses.

That said, his thing about UFOs functioning in our culture the way fairies did in times past is a pretty common view among folklorists; there's an essay on just that in Narvaez's The Good People.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.