The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 16, 2019, 12:24:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2019, 12:24:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Daily Worship  (Read 10960 times)
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm
United States United States

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: April 11, 2007, 12:23:48 pm »

Washing of hands was aimed at recreating a common practice in ancient Hellenic practice. It provides a tie to ancient stuff.

I'd say such offerings should be to the gods as a whole or the family spirit. Not to one's patron since I feel it would discourage people from doing daily worship if they don't have a patron; or to think they have one when they don't.

Patron worship should be above and beyond the above.

I recommend a consistent time at a minimum. First part of the morning, before dinner or before bed seem likely to be easist to keep up.

I think any meal time things should be a seperate thread.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #16: April 11, 2007, 01:00:52 pm »

I'd say such offerings should be to the gods as a whole or the family spirit. Not to one's patron since I feel it would discourage people from doing daily worship if they don't have a patron; or to think they have one when they don't.

Patron worship should be above and beyond the above.

*nods*  I agree.  I'm a little unclear on the whole "family spirit" thing; I need someone more knowledgable to come in and comment on that, I think.  But generally, I think any mention of patrons should be in the sense of "if you have one, do something for them along with this", not in the sense that everyone should have one.

(And yeah, I know.  Personal patrons weren't part of ancient Greek practice.  But it seems like these days such relationships are developing sometimes, and I think we should allow for that.  At least, I know I don't want to be the one to tell Them that They can't be patrons anymore.  Wink )

I recommend a consistent time at a minimum. First part of the morning, before dinner or before bed seem likely to be easist to keep up.

Sounds like a good idea to me.  I wonder if the most reasonable course of action might not be to just say that it should be done at a consistent time, and leave when up to the practitioner?

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: April 11, 2007, 05:54:06 pm »

*nods*  I agree.  I'm a little unclear on the whole "family spirit" thing; I need someone more knowledgable to come in and comment on that, I think.  But generally, I think any mention of patrons should be in the sense of "if you have one, do something for them along with this", not in the sense that everyone should have one.

(And yeah, I know.  Personal patrons weren't part of ancient Greek practice.  But it seems like these days such relationships are developing sometimes, and I think we should allow for that.  At least, I know I don't want to be the one to tell Them that They can't be patrons anymore.  Wink )

Sounds like a good idea to me.  I wonder if the most reasonable course of action might not be to just say that it should be done at a consistent time, and leave when up to the practitioner?

The Roman version of the wording is lares or genius. To quote the Theodosius Code of 392 "...to worship ones' lares with fire, one's genius with uncut wine, one pentates with perfume..."

Each family had some minor spirits of the family / house that were worshipped at home every day.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 15, 2019, 12:34:15 pm

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: April 11, 2007, 06:00:31 pm »

1.  The above outlines ways to honor Hestia individually and all the Gods as a group.  Do we need to be recognizing Anyone else individually on a daily basis (or a daily rotation, or every few days, or etc.)?  (Or is this something best left to the individual practitioner to decide?)

The Athenians honored different deities on days through the month. We could do something like that.

2.  Are prayers necessary multiple times per day, or is once daily enough?  If multiple times, are they the same each time or are there differences?

Good question. I would think at least once a day. Additional prayers would be optional.

3.  Either way, does it matter when within the course of the day prayers are said?

I don't think it matters, but probably should be consistent from daty to day as far as is possible.

4. Any particular prayers/hymns to be used?  If not, any suggestions about resources people could find such things in?  (I mean, I'm kind of assuming we all know that the Homeric and Orphic Hymns exist, but I don't think they have things for "all the Gods", just for specific entities, unless I missed something, which is possible.  And there may be good sources outside of those too, I'm thinking?)

I'm not aware of any hymns to all the gods, although there might be one or two somewhere.

5.  Is anything done at mealtimes?

Traditionally, I think there was a libation at major menus.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
aingealoreiad
Apprentice
Last Login:June 30, 2010, 05:31:43 pm

Religion: Hellenic Polytheist

Not all who wander are lost.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: April 11, 2007, 08:47:41 pm »

I'm not aware of any hymns to all the gods, although there might be one or two somewhere.
Orphic Hymn #1

There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.  ~Socrates

Walking the Path: Anamnesis
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: April 12, 2007, 10:11:30 am »

1.  The above outlines ways to honor Hestia individually and all the Gods as a group.  Do we need to be recognizing Anyone else individually on a daily basis (or a daily rotation, or every few days, or etc.)?  (Or is this something best left to the individual practitioner to decide?)

2.  Are prayers necessary multiple times per day, or is once daily enough?  If multiple times, are they the same each time or are there differences?

3.  Either way, does it matter when within the course of the day prayers are said?

4.  Any particular prayers/hymns to be used?  If not, any suggestions about resources people could find such things in?  (I mean, I'm kind of assuming we all know that the Homeric and Orphic Hymns exist, but I don't think they have things for "all the Gods", just for specific entities, unless I missed something, which is possible.  And there may be good sources outside of those too, I'm thinking?)

5.  Is anything done at mealtimes?

1. I say that an offering to all the Gods is best.  If a practitioner has a patron (s)he could honor them seperately, but this part should be optional.

2. Once a day is enough, though it should be consistant.

3. I think the time of day should be whatever works for the practitioner.  For example: if someone is a morning person then they could do it right after taking a shower.

4. Someone could use hymns that are already written (Orphic# 1 f'ex) or could write their own if their own if they want.

5. As mentioned before, the offering to Hestia.  One could also say a short prayer to all the Gods but I'm thinking of the ones involved in food production in particular.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Therapon
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 12, 2008, 12:01:20 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hellenismos

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: April 13, 2007, 08:07:50 am »

Khairete

I've just joined the group and hope you don't mind me just jumping in?

For my daily practice I have a small glass of khernips and a brass tray with a tea-light candle, kept for purpose.  Every morning I dip a finger in the glass and put a drop of khernips on my forehead, light the candle and recite the Homeric hymn to Hestia, adding any private prayers or devotions as and when required.

I've tried more elaborate practices but I usually get despondent when I can't keep to it. The one I've outlined above seems to fit in with my daily routine and so never gets missed out.

Erroson Therapon
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: April 13, 2007, 08:38:18 am »

Welcome to The Cauldron!

I've tried more elaborate practices but I usually get despondent when I can't keep to it. The one I've outlined above seems to fit in with my daily routine and so never gets missed out.

This is one of the reasons why I favor simple practices that can and will be done as opposed to the elaborate practices that are going to fail to actually get done more often than not.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #23: April 13, 2007, 08:53:51 am »

Welcome to the Cauldron!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Therapon
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 16, 2007, 03:42:36 am »

"This is one of the reasons why I favor simple practices that can and will be done as opposed to the elaborate practices that are going to fail to actually get done more often than not."

Exactly and simpler practices may mean that we can may be able to observe more rites and do more devotions.

Thanks for the welcomes Smiley
Lorraine
Journeyman
Last Login:March 17, 2018, 09:39:57 pm

Religion: polytheist but drawn to more than one pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: April 16, 2007, 11:08:45 am »

Hello, I'm another new person.  I don't have a daily practice, as such, unless you could blowing a kiss from my hand at my Apollo shrine when I walk past.  So I'm very interested but don't know how much I can contrubute to this. 

Where Hestia is concerned, I have a halogen cooker, central heating, and even the ignition on my boiler is a self-igniting one.   Roll Eyes No eternal flames in sight, and I wouldn't feel all that happy about keeping a candle going 24/7.  One thing I do for her is to keep a special candle for her on my dining table, light it before I light a candle to another deity, and put it out last.  I'll also leave an offering of a small portion of my meal for the evening meal - which is the one me and my spouse will be having together.  But I've been a bit sporadic about that and I also eat out a lot, so it's not daily by any means.
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #26: April 16, 2007, 11:23:27 am »

Hello, I'm another new person. 

Welcome to the Cauldron!

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Therapon
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: April 17, 2007, 07:29:23 am »

Hi Lorraine  Grin

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: April 17, 2007, 08:15:27 am »

No eternal flames in sight, and I wouldn't feel all that happy about keeping a candle going 24/7.

That is exactly how Lyric and I feel -- especially with three dogs and a cat in the house.

But I've been a bit sporadic about that and I also eat out a lot, so it's not daily by any means.

I think this is one of the differences between ancient Greece and the modern western world. In ancient Greece it would be unusual not to have _someone_ at one's home all the time and extremely unusual not to eat at least a meal a day there.  In the modern western world, the former is seldom true and even the latter isn't all the true as many people eat out every meal of the day a few times a week.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 08:20:43 am by RandallS, Reason: I originally posted without writing anything. » Logged

Randall
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #29: April 17, 2007, 09:29:45 am »

In the modern western world, the former is seldom true and even the latter isn't all the true as many people eat out every meal of the day a few times a week.

*nods*  Or at the very least don't eat at home, even if they're not buying food out.  For instance, every work day I eat breakfast and lunch at work.  Hubby and I have a standing "date night" (well, at least until the kid gets here!) on Mondays, which involves eating out.  So on Mondays I don't eat any meals at home at all.

The meals at work are kind of confusing to me, in my personal practice at the moment, as far as whether to do any kind of offering the way I always try to remember to do for meals at home.  Because...  Well, I made them (to varying degrees), so that's kind of related to the whole hearth-and-home thing.  But I'm not *at* home, nowhere near my "hearth".  (Similar problem in reverse when we eat takeout, too.  Home and hearth are right there, but not exactly a high level of household involvement in preparing the food.)

Something to consider, I guess, either for the group if people generally like going the "offer the first bite" route at mealtime or for individuals like myself and Lorraine who may want to continue it if the group doesn't go for it.  What is important?  The location?  The making of the food?  Both?  Neither?

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)