The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 20, 2021, 07:15:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2021, 07:15:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: Do you practice your religion/beliefs/worship/magic solitary or in a group?
solitary by choice - 62 (23.7%)
mostly solitary because I haven't found the right group for me yet - 33 (12.6%)
solitary newbie, haven't figured out yet what kind of group I'd like to be in - 18 (6.9%)
solitary work combined with group work - 17 (6.5%)
I attend gatherings/festivals/public rituals regulary - 8 (3.1%)
I attend gatherings/festivals/public rituals occassionally - 19 (7.3%)
I attend a group without initiation/formal membership regulary - 4 (1.5%)
I attend a group without initiation/formal membership occassionally - 4 (1.5%)
I'm a formal member/initiate of a group or coven - 9 (3.4%)
I'm in several groups or covens at once - 1 (0.4%)
I've changed groups or covens - 3 (1.1%)
I'm working on establishing a new group or coven - 3 (1.1%)
I have successfully (co-)founded a group or coven - 7 (2.7%)
momentarily solitary because I've just moved or some other life change - 4 (1.5%)
I practice my religion with my family - 15 (5.7%)
I attend an internet class - 6 (2.3%)
I do online group work (like Cauldron Cill) - 17 (6.5%)
most of my group practice happens with people who have very similar beliefs - 10 (3.8%)
most of my group work happens with people from various Pagan religions - 12 (4.6%)
other - 10 (3.8%)
Total Voters: 117

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do you practice your religion/beliefs/worship/magic solitary or in a group?  (Read 26744 times)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 20, 2008, 10:12:51 am »

I just wonder how many Pagans practice in a group at all. I'm a newbie and don't have any experiences with Pagan groups.

Please notice that you can select more than one option.

Please name what kind of religion your group practices if it isn't obvious from your profile.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 20, 2008, 10:19:41 am »

I just wonder how many Pagans practice in a group at all. I'm a newbie and don't have any experiences with Pagan groups.

Please name what kind of religion your group practices if it isn't obvious from your profile.

I'm mainly solitary right now because of my situation (no car, min wage job), so I can't get to anything at the moment.  But when I do have a vehicle, I attend rituals, classes and coffee hour with a local ADF Grove.  And there are a couple of 'social' groups that I visit with.    One of them does do open rituals, but I've never been to any of theirs yet.
Staroasis
Last Login:December 31, 2008, 08:01:39 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 20, 2008, 10:21:50 am »

I am a solitary, mostly by choice.  I do not drive, so transportation to group activities is awkward at best, plus I work graveyard shift.  My days off fall during the week, so timing and logistics are also a factor.

I label myself, (when I must provide a label), as eclectic Pagan with Fae influences.   

Hello  to all, from a long time lurker.

Staroasis
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: March 20, 2008, 10:24:30 am »

I chose "solitary by choice" and also "other".  I think I'd probably choose to be solitary anyway, but even if I wanted to practice in a group, I don't think there's a Hellenic group in my area to practice with.  So, solitary by choice but also for lack of opportunity.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 20, 2008, 10:25:18 am »

I am a solitary, mostly by choice.  I do not drive, so transportation to group activities is awkward at best, plus I work graveyard shift.  My days off fall during the week, so timing and logistics are also a factor.

I label myself, (when I must provide a label), as eclectic Pagan with Fae influences.   

Hello  to all, from a long time lurker.

Staroasis

So it was an overlong poll that brought you out of lurking? Lol, I'm honored. Welcome to posting, Staroasis. Smiley

Staroasis

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 20, 2008, 10:30:42 am »

So it was an overlong poll that brought you out of lurking? Lol, I'm honored. Welcome to posting, Staroasis. Smiley

Thank you for your gracious welcome!   

Pardon the off topic question, but where in Germany are you?  I was born in Bremerhaven.

Staroasis
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: March 20, 2008, 10:40:03 am »

Well, FlameKeeper, obviously.

and I've founded a group, I'm solitary by choice - if there were other FlameKeepers in the area, I'd cheerfully visit with them, but there aren't any group rituals so far!  (I'd proly have to write them.  in my copious spare time).

I sorta do online group work, so I checked that, 'cause I've done stuff online.  and I only do Pagany things (whatever that means!) with like-minded sorts - mostly because everyone else thinks I'm nuts.  (hey, they're right!)

if that makes any sense at all, check yourself into the nearest loony bin. Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 20, 2008, 10:50:38 am »

I chose other because I couldn't seem to find an option that suggested "work with Initiatory group regularly". (ftr, there's no such thing as a 'solitary' Gwyddon)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 20, 2008, 10:54:43 am »

Thank you for your gracious welcome!   

Pardon the off topic question, but where in Germany are you?  I was born in Bremerhaven.

Staroasis
I'm currently finishing my studies on the baltic sea cost, but born in Baden-W├╝rttemberg.

So did you grow up in Germany as well or did your family move over the pond early in your life?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #9: March 20, 2008, 11:12:56 am »

I chose other because I couldn't seem to find an option that suggested "work with Initiatory group regularly". (ftr, there's no such thing as a 'solitary' Gwyddon)

What about "I'm a formal member/initiate of a group or coven"?  "Most of my group practice happens with people who have very similar beliefs" would also seem to fit, to me; it doesn't specify that the group of people in question is not Initiatory and it is a multi-answer poll.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Shefytbast
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 30, 2011, 07:48:20 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 20, 2008, 12:13:03 pm »

For me, it's more like "I attend gatherings/festivals/public rituals [semi-]regularly"--I have something going on every month or two, which seemed a little too much to be "occasionally," but not quite enough to be "regularly."  Grin (In the end, though, I did choose "regularly.")

--L

I have not taken time away from the day,
I have done no damage to a beautiful hour.
                               --Megegi of Thebes
Allstar
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 19, 2009, 03:05:02 pm

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 20, 2008, 12:13:40 pm »

I belong to two groups - I can't even believe how lucky I am about that!

I belong to an open circle that I helped found a few years ago, and also to a small coven that I helped to find back at Samhain. 

Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 20, 2008, 01:21:00 pm »

What about "I'm a formal member/initiate of a group or coven"?  "Most of my group practice happens with people who have very similar beliefs" would also seem to fit, to me; it doesn't specify that the group of people in question is not Initiatory and it is a multi-answer poll.

I didn't see those options in the poll, honestly.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: March 20, 2008, 01:30:40 pm »

IRL, I'm solitary by choice.  My family knows about my beliefs and we occasionally do soething celebratory together -- like make Brighid's Crosses at Imbolc -- but that's more just because it's fun than because they share my religion (they don't).

I do attend the occasional public festival.  And I am a member of the local pagan association, but haven't attended any of the rituals.  I'm a member for to help with the festivals.  I'm really uncomfortable with group rituals, mainly, I think, because my particular beliefs are specific to me and aren't shared by the group other than at a very, very basic level.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Staroasis

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 20, 2008, 02:39:19 pm »

I'm currently finishing my studies on the baltic sea cost, but born in Baden-W├╝rttemberg.

So did you grow up in Germany as well or did your family move over the pond early in your life?

My father was a "lifer"  (in his case, quite literally) in the Air Force.  (US)   I spent most of my youth in Germany, France, and Belgium.  I hope to revisit sometime in the future, however finances do not currently allow for that trip.

I live in Houston, Texas now and have for many years.

My apologies to all for the diversion from the topic at hand.

Staroasis

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.