The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 20, 2021, 06:04:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2021, 06:04:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: Do you practice your religion/beliefs/worship/magic solitary or in a group?
solitary by choice - 62 (23.7%)
mostly solitary because I haven't found the right group for me yet - 33 (12.6%)
solitary newbie, haven't figured out yet what kind of group I'd like to be in - 18 (6.9%)
solitary work combined with group work - 17 (6.5%)
I attend gatherings/festivals/public rituals regulary - 8 (3.1%)
I attend gatherings/festivals/public rituals occassionally - 19 (7.3%)
I attend a group without initiation/formal membership regulary - 4 (1.5%)
I attend a group without initiation/formal membership occassionally - 4 (1.5%)
I'm a formal member/initiate of a group or coven - 9 (3.4%)
I'm in several groups or covens at once - 1 (0.4%)
I've changed groups or covens - 3 (1.1%)
I'm working on establishing a new group or coven - 3 (1.1%)
I have successfully (co-)founded a group or coven - 7 (2.7%)
momentarily solitary because I've just moved or some other life change - 4 (1.5%)
I practice my religion with my family - 15 (5.7%)
I attend an internet class - 6 (2.3%)
I do online group work (like Cauldron Cill) - 17 (6.5%)
most of my group practice happens with people who have very similar beliefs - 10 (3.8%)
most of my group work happens with people from various Pagan religions - 12 (4.6%)
other - 10 (3.8%)
Total Voters: 117

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do you practice your religion/beliefs/worship/magic solitary or in a group?  (Read 26742 times)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: March 20, 2008, 02:41:36 pm »

Solitary by choice.

I don't know if there are any Hellenic groups in my area and even if their are, I probably wouldn't join any because:

A. I'm too busy
B. I don't have my own transportation and
C. I'm not big on the idea.  I prefer solitary practice because to me it's more personal and meaningful.  Plus, half the time I can't stand being around myself let alone other people.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

NeedleSpell
Apprentice
Last Login:January 06, 2009, 07:42:42 pm

Religion: Wandering Solitary Eclectic Pagan Witch with Buddhist leanings

Blog entries (8)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 20, 2008, 03:24:09 pm »

I just wonder how many Pagans practice in a group at all. I'm a newbie and don't have any experiences with Pagan groups.

Solitary by choice. I find it more meaningful to be able to tailor my practices to my own needs, rather than the needs of a group. I also don't drive, nor do I want to.

I've been interested in attending public events, but never quite found the time. Undecided

"For behold, I have been with thee from the beginning and I am that which is attained at the end of desire."
~Charge of the Goddess

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
~Buddha
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: March 20, 2008, 03:43:38 pm »

I just wonder how many Pagans practice in a group at all. I'm a newbie and don't have any experiences with Pagan groups.
My daily practice is done alone or with my partner.  I used to attend public ADF rituals regularly, but now I'm working 7 days a week (Oh!  The joys of owning one's own business!) so I haven't been to a group ritual since Samhain.
Lorraine
Journeyman
Last Login:January 26, 2021, 10:25:36 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: polytheist but drawn to more than one pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: March 20, 2008, 04:52:04 pm »

I just wonder how many Pagans practice in a group at all.
I’m a member of OBOD and have been a member of my local seedgroup for a few years.  We don’t all have exactly the same beliefs but there is enough overlap for it to work and the fact you've been on the same course is going to give you some common ground anyway.  Although some people have moved away while others have joined it’s generally been a good mix of people.  However it’s not strongly focused on deity worship and if it was, it would be unlikely to be those I have a particular interest in (a couple of Hellenic deities plus one I don't have a name for).  So anything to do with those deities is usually more solitary.  There's also some shared practice on occasion with my partner but that tends towards the spontaneous and informal.
Cosima
Apprentice
Last Login:October 04, 2010, 02:11:23 pm

Religion: Lazy Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: March 20, 2008, 05:14:28 pm »

Please notice that you can select more than one option.

Please name what kind of religion your group practices if it isn't obvious from your profile.

I'm a member of a religious organisation and sometimes I do get together with them to worship, but for the most part I practice on my own. Smiley
SearchingTiger
Apprentice
Last Login:April 04, 2008, 09:55:39 pm

Religion: Exploring Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: March 20, 2008, 05:30:01 pm »

I am solitary mostly. I did attend one group but they werent what I was looking for, and now I just attend open rituals occasionally (like this weekend for example!)

I would love to find a coven, but I am in no hurry, if I find one in my journey, I'll cheerfully join (if its right for me!) I like people!

Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #21: March 20, 2008, 10:38:28 pm »

I chose "solitary by choice" and also "other".  I think I'd probably choose to be solitary anyway, but even if I wanted to practice in a group, I don't think there's a Hellenic group in my area to practice with.  So, solitary by choice but also for lack of opportunity.

Same here (not Hellenist though). There aren't any covens/groups in my city, not even in my country, that I know of, so I'm a solitary. I've got my own religion, but I'd like to participate on a pagan group, Wiccan or Asatruar, to learn more about those religions and get more involved with them.

Selegna.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: March 21, 2008, 12:11:52 am »

That's one of the best-designed polls I've ever seen on TC!  At first I thought, "no way will I be able to find choices that really cover my current situation" (which is kinda odd and complicated), but between how extensive (and well-thought-out, it looks to me) a list you included, and allowing for multiple choices, I felt I was able to pin it down quite well.

The coven I co-founded, and am still an initiate of (not to mention HPs), is on hiatus at present, in part because I'm preoccupied with the mental housecleaning following my marital collapse.  As such, my practice is, for the time being, entirely solitary aside from online work (the Cill, and quite a bit of informal mentoring, mostly).  I as a teacher, my coven, and my trad strongly and explicitly encourage people to maintain personal practices alongside group involvement.  Though there can be quite a bit of diversity among those I do group things with, ultimately there's a core of similarity, so I chose the "mostly similar" option as being closer than "mostly different", but it's not always a strong or noticeable similarity - the Cill is actually quite a good example of the "diversity with a core of similarity".

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Chi
Last Login:March 24, 2008, 11:29:57 am

Religion: Eclectic Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: March 21, 2008, 12:31:53 am »

Solitary by choice.

I don't know if there are any Hellenic groups in my area and even if their are, I probably wouldn't join any because:

A. I'm too busy
C. I'm not big on the idea.  I prefer solitary practice because to me it's more personal and meaningful.  Plus, half the time I can't stand being around myself let alone other people.

I  also checked Solitary by choice....

I am not big on groups....any groups really...

I truly enjoy practicing alone and thrive on the one-on-one relationship that I share with my deities...I would not want to change this for any reason...other than to further grow within these relationships..

I do live in a very rural area...but even here there are some bookstores and shops that cater to the occult and various religons beside the more orthdox...so there may be covens here that I am just unaware of...again, that is fine with me, as I do not feel that I would have appreciation for the rigorous structure that I imagine to resign within them...

Chi
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: March 21, 2008, 12:39:00 am »

Now that I have time to write, an explanation of my responses, which were:
- solitary by choice
- solitary work combined with group work
- with family
- mostly with people of other religions

Solitary by choice:  I dislike all the Kemetic organisations I know of, and given the natures of my dislikes, I rather suspect that I would dislike most of the ones I don't know about, too.

Solitary/group:  I have a vague ritual group, which supplements my ritual pratice.  I am still in contact with my Feri training group, though our formal course of study ended last year; I am considering advanced work.  I will be attending a one-off study course in June.

With family:  My ritual group is at this point composed of family members, though we may have a friend joining us in the future.  My shared serious religious (and magical, for that matter) work is with the Celt, my fiance.

Mostly with people of other religions: the ritual group is me, the Celt, his wife (who self-describes as 'Reform Jew Elementalist Earth Spirituality'), and maybe someone with Asatru leanings who doesn't know what he's doing yet.  QED.  Much off my Feri study has been with people whose primary affiliation is to Reclaiming, as well.

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #25: March 21, 2008, 04:34:48 am »

That's one of the best-designed polls I've ever seen on TC!
Thanks. *blush* I'm glad there are so many interesting answers!

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
thesilverbow
Apprentice
Last Login:August 07, 2012, 04:29:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: March 21, 2008, 09:45:47 am »

A. I'm too busy

This is the same for me as well.

I voted solitary by choice as that's exactly what I choose to do -- I like having people to talk to about my spiritual path, but I really don't play well with others. As someone else mentioned, having that 'one on one' solitary relationship with the gods is what's best for me and I don't see myself ever wanting, or needing to change that. Because I operate by myself I can do what I want when I want (within reason), and I don't have to feel bad for being too lazy to celebrate a festival or something! Tongue
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #27: March 21, 2008, 10:24:51 am »

My selections (somewhat out of order from the poll.)
I'm a formal member/initiate of a group or coven
I've changed groups or covens
I'm working on establishing a new group or coven

I've been an initiate in a small structured eclectic Wiccan-based tradition since February of 2003, and got my 3rd degree last November. 3 degree system, initiatory mysteries and related ritual experiences, and a standard structure for ritual. We've got a reputation for very thorough ritual method and teaching.

I'm currently forming the first new hived coven in the tradition, and am taking a sabbatical from attending any rituals with my former group for a bit (at least six months), so we can all settle into our new roles. (I need to get used to not doing a whole host of things there, and they need to get used to me not being there doing them. It's remarkably like growing up and moving out of the house.) But I do anticipate going back as a guest occasionally once that's done.

I am *adoring* forming a new coven. It is making me very very very very very happy.

solitary work combined with group work

I have a firm belief in the idea that you cannot have long-term healthy and productive group work without a healthy personal practice. The tradition I work in explicitly teaches us to build a personal practice, too.

This isn't necessarily "I do Samhain with my coven, and then I do it again by myself." - I rarely do that, and usually only when there's some specific demand or need that isn't met in my group ritual work like a very particular kind of working. Mostly, it's a daily practice, and specific work with the deities I work with personally, as opposed to in group.

I attend gatherings/festivals/public rituals occassionally

I'm on the board of our local Pagan Pride Day, and have been for the past 2 years, too, so I obviously go to that. Due to my role in that, I also try to make it to occasional public rituals in the community, too. (Missed Imbolc due to headache, expect to make it to Beltane if manageable, etc.)

I've gone to a few small festivals: one of my hopes for next year is to have the money to make it to Pantheacon.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #28: March 21, 2008, 11:27:17 am »

I am *adoring* forming a new coven. It is making me very very very very very happy.
That's great to hear, keep up with it!

Not quite related to Paganism, but...
I'll have to leave my martial arts school when I'm finished with my university studies and move out of town. It makes me sad, because there's still so much stuff I could learn there. On the other hand maybe it brings something good. In one of the martial arts styles I'm practicing I'm ready to teach classes of my own. I've already done some teaching and most of it was a good experience. But then I've also just started on a new style that is uncommon in Germany and wonder if I'll find a teacher for it where ever I end up.  Undecided

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Enchanted Spirit
Journeyman
Last Login:March 26, 2008, 11:16:10 am

Religion: Pagan Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: March 21, 2008, 01:35:11 pm »

This is the same for me as well.

I voted solitary by choice as that's exactly what I choose to do -- I like having people to talk to about my spiritual path, but I really don't play well with others. As someone else mentioned, having that 'one on one' solitary relationship with the gods is what's best for me and I don't see myself ever wanting, or needing to change that. Because I operate by myself I can do what I want when I want (within reason), and I don't have to feel bad for being too lazy to celebrate a festival or something! Tongue

I agree.  I don't play well with others either. I also find that my path is different than everyone else I meet in my area.  I seem to be the only non Wiccan Pagan.  That's fine, but I feel no one understands where I'm comming from.  I keep to myself and don't discuss my beliefs with anyone even if I know they are Pagan so I don't have to justify my beliefs.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.