The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 20, 2021, 06:58:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2021, 06:58:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: Do you practice your religion/beliefs/worship/magic solitary or in a group?
solitary by choice - 62 (23.7%)
mostly solitary because I haven't found the right group for me yet - 33 (12.6%)
solitary newbie, haven't figured out yet what kind of group I'd like to be in - 18 (6.9%)
solitary work combined with group work - 17 (6.5%)
I attend gatherings/festivals/public rituals regulary - 8 (3.1%)
I attend gatherings/festivals/public rituals occassionally - 19 (7.3%)
I attend a group without initiation/formal membership regulary - 4 (1.5%)
I attend a group without initiation/formal membership occassionally - 4 (1.5%)
I'm a formal member/initiate of a group or coven - 9 (3.4%)
I'm in several groups or covens at once - 1 (0.4%)
I've changed groups or covens - 3 (1.1%)
I'm working on establishing a new group or coven - 3 (1.1%)
I have successfully (co-)founded a group or coven - 7 (2.7%)
momentarily solitary because I've just moved or some other life change - 4 (1.5%)
I practice my religion with my family - 15 (5.7%)
I attend an internet class - 6 (2.3%)
I do online group work (like Cauldron Cill) - 17 (6.5%)
most of my group practice happens with people who have very similar beliefs - 10 (3.8%)
most of my group work happens with people from various Pagan religions - 12 (4.6%)
other - 10 (3.8%)
Total Voters: 117

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do you practice your religion/beliefs/worship/magic solitary or in a group?  (Read 26743 times)
Gwalchmai
Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 12:31:45 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permissable.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: March 21, 2008, 02:10:38 pm »

Solitary by choice.

me too. I have friends with whom i will get together for celebrations but I never work with anybody.

I have known people who have been coven members and they have created a weird dependency on the group which almost prevents them from being able to work solo.

Also, during a ritual the will has to be perfectly tuned and directed and so the group mind has to be perfectly in tune with it's members, this isn't always possible and can cause a ritual to fail.

Visit My Quick Tarot Guide Today

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

soulfire
Journeyman
Last Login:December 06, 2010, 02:51:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Practical Witch, Healer

Dance Anyway!

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #31: March 21, 2008, 02:16:19 pm »

'

I am a solitary pagan out of choice, but b'cuz my beliefs tend to gel pretty well with some New Thought stuff, Our family has begun attending a local 'church' that has similar beliefs.  It is helping my children find associations with others (they used to think we were the only ones out there that believed as we did) but I am maintaining my individuality of spiritual/religious beliefs.  Partly because I feel it's important and partly because I don't want to belong to anything (been there, done that, bought and burned the T-shirt).  I wouldn't be true to myself if I just went with the group mentality and didn't maintain individuality of purpose.  Besides my 'paganism' is such an eclectic mix there would never be an exact fit.  

But along with that, I admit it's lonely sometimes...

**Please PRAY FOR ME.  I'm in the fight of my life right now. Thank you ~SF/K
Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #32: March 21, 2008, 03:11:05 pm »

I attend gatherings/festivals/public rituals regularly is the one that I chose because I take my wife and step-daughter to them whenever they come up.  Being Asatru where I live makes it difficult to find other like minded people.  To make up for this I just bristle at my wife's (she is Wicca) groups gatherings and rituals. 

Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: March 22, 2008, 09:18:39 am »

I just wonder how many Pagans practice in a group at all. I'm a newbie and don't have any experiences with Pagan groups.

Please notice that you can select more than one option.

Please name what kind of religion your group practices if it isn't obvious from your profile.
I am solitary, mainly by choice and because I have never found a group that fits me just right. I have been in a couple of groups though.

One of my groups was a family trad that adopted me into their family. I learned a lot there, although their tradition (which was a Italian Witchcraft) didn't suit me.

I was also in a small group when I was in college with other college students. It was more of a discussion and exploration group. We did meditations, drum circles, divinations, learning about different traditions, etc... but we didn't do any rituals or energy work together.

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #34: March 22, 2008, 09:54:04 am »

I just wonder how many Pagans practice in a group at all. I'm a newbie and don't have any experiences with Pagan groups.

I chose:
solitary work combined with group work
I attend a group without initiation/formal membership regulary

My Dianic group has initiations, but you don't have to be initiated to organize or attend ritual.  (I think it's more a formal devotion to the religion and a step on the path to becoming a priestess, but I'm not sure since I've never been to one.)

I should have also picked I attend gatherings/festivals/public rituals regulary because we usually have either a public or private ritual for each of the 8 holy days.  And I also should have chose I'm a formal member/initiate of a group or coven because I am a member(not initiate) of ADF.  Apologies, that's what I get when I do polls before coffee.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #35: March 24, 2008, 12:37:49 pm »

Solitary by choice and I did some online stuff in the past.

I would do some rl-group work occasionally if there was a group around...or like-minded people.
But I don't really need this, though it would be nice for a change.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Psimon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 04:10:11 pm

Religion: ADF (very new dedicant)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: March 24, 2008, 12:41:37 pm »

I am more or less a newbie as well, at least to the idea of naming what I believe Paganism. I chose "solitary by choice" because I don't currently worship in a structured way -- I think that more or less anything I do, from making music to brewing a pot of tea, can be a religious and devotional act.
Wanderer894
Master Member
Last Login:April 07, 2011, 10:47:22 pm

Religion: The Way of the Dragonfly/Ignostic Pagan Humanist
TCN ID: Wanderer894

another day, another round of "WTF?"

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #37: March 24, 2008, 01:06:36 pm »

Please name what kind of religion your group practices if it isn't obvious from your profile.

I am solitary by choice.  I have attended one gathering so far, although I hope to go to at least one more before I leave the US.  Being solitary mostly all the time, though, suits me just fine.

Rituals do not make Life; Life is what you consider the most important, and the most fun.
Just another hapless human trying to figure out what the frell makes this world tick, and how to avoid the idiots who make my head hurt
Stop the war, impeach the war criminals.

Bored much? My Blog: Gray Reverie
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #38: March 24, 2008, 01:39:38 pm »

My primary response is that I am solitary by choice.  However, I have been known to work with others one-on-one as the occasion calls for it, so I'm also going with the ubiquitous "Other".   

Grymdycche
Journeyman
Last Login:December 09, 2009, 03:42:56 pm

Religion: Aspiring Trad Witchcraft

I never speak in absolutes ..except this one

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: March 27, 2008, 09:03:43 pm »

I wasn't sure I should vote at all, being that I'm in that "research" phase, and and am not even active at this point.
In all likelihood, I'd like to try out a coven, but if it doesn't seem right for whatever reason, I'm more than willing to go solitary.

The biggest problem I have is family - I have a very Catholic wife, who, while fairly tolerant (she loves tarot cards and my runes and all that) I think she would draw the line at seeing me cast a circle in the basement and utter incantations to a different "god(ess)".
I'd hate to hide things from her, but I might have to work something like that out before I can get active.
Likewise, with a coven, I'd have to explain my goings out every esbat and sabbat.
I'd ask for advice, but something tells me this is fodder for a separate thread.

Qualis vir, talis oratio
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard might not be what I meant
ladywhitewolf
Journeyman
Last Login:September 23, 2012, 12:21:57 am

Religion: polytheist pagan with leanings towards Shamanism/animism

Whitewolf

Blog entries (0)

White_Wolf1 Lady Whitewolf

Ignore
« Reply #40: April 01, 2008, 11:17:02 pm »

I usually get together with a group of other witches and Pagans.  I'm not solitary.  I haven't gotten together with them in a few months.   I feel more comfortable doing rituals with them than by myself.

Jessica [aka Whitewolf]
FireWillow
Apprentice
Last Login:May 24, 2008, 01:19:25 pm

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: April 07, 2008, 09:46:26 pm »

I practice solitary by choice, as I am very set in my beliefs and practices, and I like the ability to hold rites when and how I see fit.

I do, however, attend circles that I am invited to.
Mama SummerWind
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 08, 2009, 01:14:44 pm

Religion: Wiccan

Mother, bless me and all those around me.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: April 10, 2008, 05:24:32 pm »

I'm a solitary because I haven't found the right group yet.  I live in a small town where pagans are far and few between and the ones I have met are flaky and unreliable.  I used to live in Los Angeles where there was a greater pagan population but alas, I couldn't seem to find anyone "serious" enough to include in my workings.

*~* Anything less than mad, passionate, extraordinary love is just a waste of time. *~*
AsetAmitAb
Apprentice
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 04:14:12 pm

Religion: Stregha & Preistess of Isis

Not all who wander are lost.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: April 10, 2008, 05:28:44 pm »

I am an initiate of a coven, but not all of my work is with them.  I practice solitary rituals and attend public functions occasionally. 
mandy1216
Journeyman
Last Login:February 15, 2011, 02:13:39 pm

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: April 10, 2008, 05:50:24 pm »

I'm a solitary because I haven't found the right group yet.  I live in a small town where pagans are far and few between and the ones I have met are flaky and unreliable.  I used to live in Los Angeles where there was a greater pagan population but alas, I couldn't seem to find anyone "serious" enough to include in my workings.

I'm working to find the right group right now and I am so excited! I want to experience the energy that a group can provide, as well as the mentoring/teaching aspect. Don't get me wrong--I love solitary ritual, but there is something about finding deity along with others that I am missing.

I think it's hard to find a group too, as you are constantly having to deal with people that have watched one too many episodes of Buffy and Charmed and really want to practice magic, not a religion.

Jim Halpert:     We didn't play many video games in Scranton. Instead we'd do stuff like.. uh, Pam and I would sometimes hum the same high pitched note and try to get Dwight to make an appointment with an ear doctor. And, uh, Pam called it... Pretendinitis.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.