The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 20, 2021, 07:39:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2021, 07:39:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: Do you practice your religion/beliefs/worship/magic solitary or in a group?
solitary by choice - 62 (23.7%)
mostly solitary because I haven't found the right group for me yet - 33 (12.6%)
solitary newbie, haven't figured out yet what kind of group I'd like to be in - 18 (6.9%)
solitary work combined with group work - 17 (6.5%)
I attend gatherings/festivals/public rituals regulary - 8 (3.1%)
I attend gatherings/festivals/public rituals occassionally - 19 (7.3%)
I attend a group without initiation/formal membership regulary - 4 (1.5%)
I attend a group without initiation/formal membership occassionally - 4 (1.5%)
I'm a formal member/initiate of a group or coven - 9 (3.4%)
I'm in several groups or covens at once - 1 (0.4%)
I've changed groups or covens - 3 (1.1%)
I'm working on establishing a new group or coven - 3 (1.1%)
I have successfully (co-)founded a group or coven - 7 (2.7%)
momentarily solitary because I've just moved or some other life change - 4 (1.5%)
I practice my religion with my family - 15 (5.7%)
I attend an internet class - 6 (2.3%)
I do online group work (like Cauldron Cill) - 17 (6.5%)
most of my group practice happens with people who have very similar beliefs - 10 (3.8%)
most of my group work happens with people from various Pagan religions - 12 (4.6%)
other - 10 (3.8%)
Total Voters: 117

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do you practice your religion/beliefs/worship/magic solitary or in a group?  (Read 26745 times)
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #60: July 16, 2009, 11:59:37 pm »

Earth to those who see themselves and their path as more important than what they actually are . . .

Take a joke, get a massage, get a life, and grow a sense of humor.

(sheesh . . .Its like I am telling jokes to zerox machines)

Where I come from, a "joke" is defined by containing humor, not lies.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Allati
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 15, 2012, 06:51:13 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox and eclectic pagan
TCN ID: Allati

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #61: July 17, 2009, 06:47:10 am »

I just wonder how many Pagans practice in a group at all. I'm a newbie and don't have any experiences with Pagan groups.

Please notice that you can select more than one option.

Please name what kind of religion your group practices if it isn't obvious from your profile.

Most of my practice is solitary due to the (outside a few pockets of the US) sparse nature of Kemetic recon/revivalist practitioners, but I couldn't find an option that really allowed me to say that.

I am a formal member of a group/coven (Shemsu, soon to be Shemsu-Ankh hopefully), I attend online ritual when I can (a pox upon time zones), and I attend group festivals occassionally (new year celebrations in Joliet! Whee! Cheesy)

Henytenwepwawet
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #62: July 17, 2009, 09:58:43 am »

Most of my practice is solitary due to the (outside a few pockets of the US) sparse nature of Kemetic recon/revivalist practitioners, but I couldn't find an option that really allowed me to say that.

I am a formal member of a group/coven (Shemsu, soon to be Shemsu-Ankh hopefully), I attend online ritual when I can (a pox upon time zones), and I attend group festivals occassionally (new year celebrations in Joliet! Whee! Cheesy)

I chose...

Mostly solitary because I haven't found the right group yet.  I don't know of any Kemetic temples in Colorado.

Attend regularly with a group that doesn't require formal initiation (Rising stones, eclectic Neowiccish group).

Two different situations for two different religions.
anubisa
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 05, 2009, 02:26:42 am

Religion: Egyptian Wicca
TCN ID: anubisa

Dedicated to Anubis.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #63: July 18, 2009, 08:08:33 pm »

I just wonder how many Pagans practice in a group at all. I'm a newbie and don't have any experiences with Pagan groups.

Please name what kind of religion your group practices if it isn't obvious from your profile.

Me, I mostly practice solitary b/c I have not found the right group.

Anubisa

* Dedicated to Anubis. *
deFafnyr
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 17, 2010, 10:19:42 pm

Religion: Druidry

Damhán alla Líle

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #64: July 20, 2009, 09:15:26 pm »

I voted "other" because I am solitary but not by choice.  I have been off the path long enough to be completely out of touch with where to find other people in my area or if there are even any groups open to new membership.

firefly124
Journeyman
Last Login:January 24, 2011, 05:35:40 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: firefly124

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #65: July 21, 2009, 10:52:48 am »

I actually voted awhile ago, but I guess I didn't comment at the time.  I picked the following:

solitary work combined with group work
I attend gatherings/festivals/public rituals regulary
I attend a group without initiation/formal membership regularly
I attend an internet class
most of my group practice happens with people who have very similar beliefs

I'm eclectic, though becoming less so.  My primary patroness is Kwan Yin though I worship other Deities from other pantheons as well, particularly Apollon and Pan. 

Most of my worship of Kwan Yin is done on a solitary basis, though I occasionally travel to a Buddhist monastery for some of Her festivals.  That always feels a bit strange, as while much of Buddhist thought resonates with me, I'm very much not a Buddhist.  I wish there were some sort of local group that did regular Pagan worship of Kwan Yin, though even as I type it, I can think of a bazillion ways that would not work.  Periodically, friends tell me, too, that if that's what I want, I should just start something.  Maybe.  Not until I'm done with school, at any rate.  I'm too old to manage work, school, *and* starting up a worship circle of some kind, all together. 

There is a local Hellenic temple, called the Hellenic Temple of Apollon, Zeus, and Pan, where I worship regularly with a small group.  There's no initiation or formal membership, though there are online classes offered.  I've just completed the first one, because even though I've been "doing this" for years, it's fairly recent (the past year or so) that I've been doing regular group worship, and I was beginning to see some definite gaps in my knowledge that hadn't been evident in solitary practice.

"[L]ive as though the world were what it should be, to show it what it can be." -- Angel, "Deep Down"
herbalgoddess13
Adept Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 08:07:55 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: herbalgoddess13

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #66: July 21, 2009, 11:26:08 am »

I seriously started studying a pagan path five months ago so this is still very new and fresh to me.  I'm studying a more Druid/Shaman path with some Wicca sprinkled in here and there but more and more I'm leaving the Wicca behind.

A few months ago I found a wonderful local study group of eclectic pagans.  Most are Wiccan a few Vampire, but many have explored and taken part of different paths/covens etc. so I'm surrounded by a lot of information and intense discussions.  We meet once a month for discussion and once a month for full moon rituals.  I really enjoy my solitary practice and find I'm discovering more about myself alone than with a group.  But I'm find the group extremely valuable - it's always great to have friends to learn and grow with.

My son is curious too and he's been learning along with me.  He's still not sure where he's at with it, so it's spotty for him, but he's enjoyed attending public rituals with me.  He's also interested in ceremonial magic and I've found myself being drawn into it too.  It'll be interesting to see where our interests lead us.

“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ~ Neil Gaiman

My Blog
Kullervo
Apprentice
Last Login:August 05, 2009, 10:28:33 am

Religion: Hellenic Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #67: July 21, 2009, 02:29:18 pm »

I'm a Hellenic polytheist with some Norse and Celtic leanings, and a heavy reliance on Hindu/Vedanta philosophy.  I'm kind of a revival druid wannabe, too.

I honestly am still trying to figure out what my practice should look like, so finding other people to do it with is not really feasible.  Actually, that's not true, because I have a fairly well-established routine of spiritual practice on my own.  It's more a question of not knowing what kind of group I would like to practice with and what kind of group practice I would do.  I'm extremely skeptical about magic, and have serious problems with Wicca, so the average eclectic/mixed pagan group does not appeal to me--great people, but not really what I am interested in spiritually speaking.

There's a fairly well-established ADF group nearby, but most of its meetings are at impractical times.  I also have serious qualms and reservations about the ADF, although I think it is mostly stuff that I could work out and resolve on my own, especially if the group practice turned out to be fulfulling.  The nearby grove even has a Hellenic group, and that is particularly interesting to me.

My major obstacle to being involved in a religious/spiritual group right now though is the fact that my life is pretty much dominated by studying for the bar exam.  Most everything else important to me is getting pushed off until I am finished with that (nine more days!).  When I am finally a freer man, I plan on looking into the ADF grove and the ADf generally.  My other issue is that we will be moving soon, before the year is over, so I'm not sure about the value of getting really involved in a group when I know i am just going to leave it in a couple of months.  I am prospectively researching groups in Chicago though (where we are moving to).
Randulfr
Apprentice
Last Login:September 15, 2009, 04:01:55 am

No Longer On TC

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #68: September 01, 2009, 04:28:00 pm »

As of now, I am a solitary Ásatrúar.  This is not because I wish to practice alone, I just haven't found any other heathens within a decent distance of myself.

In frith
Browen
Journeyman
Last Login:April 04, 2010, 09:21:31 pm

Religion: Pagan
TCN ID: BrandyNFerrell

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #69: September 01, 2009, 11:24:58 pm »

I am solitary for the most part. I actually just participated in my first esbat with someone else. My older sister has been practicing for a long time and is kind of teaching me some basics. She's not really sure of her path and neither am I. She did a lot of ceremonial at one time and I think she really wants to get involved in a true Gardenarian group. But neither of us has found a group we fit with, so we do things with each other sometimes. But for the most part, I work alone.

We are what we think...
All that we are, arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts
We make our world
- Buddha
ladysade
Apprentice
Last Login:December 22, 2009, 01:13:47 pm

Religion: wiccan
TCN ID: http://ecauldron.ning.com/profile/ladesade

I am part of the moon ... and its beauty

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #70: September 05, 2009, 09:10:12 pm »

I recently , Choose the path of wicca..as i found that doing spells and such are peaceful and calming to me

and right now..i am not sure what group to go to or even be in

AnhagaDaegal
Apprentice
Last Login:September 18, 2009, 08:01:48 am

Religion: Anglo-Saxon, Germanic, and Celtic Heathenry/Witchcraft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #71: September 17, 2009, 04:30:07 pm »

I'm a Solitaire by choice. Eventually, once I develop my path more in depth, I may take on students in person. Not sure yet.

My path is a blend of Anglo-Saxon, Germanic, and Celtic Heathenry/Witchcraft. All three are part of my heritage and since I love all three, I decided that I would embark on a journey to discover how to blend those in my spirituality. I do not blend it with Wicca or any religious system, but I do view witchcraft as just that, a Craft. So I call myself a Witch but will answer to Heathen, Pagan, or Witch.
skullhappy
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 12, 2009, 01:23:58 pm

Religion: Neo-Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #72: September 23, 2009, 09:02:47 am »

But along with that, I admit it's lonely sometimes...

Bieng a solitary practitioner, I can really relate. It can be terribly lonely, and one is often confronted with the thoughts of "am I doing this right?". Since there are no rules to follow, or people to share ceremony with, I think it is easy for one's thoughts to stray into this slippery territory, which can weaken the will and cause one to doubt one's own feelings and beliefs.

Having said that, being solitary can also be a very liberating experience. One is constantly forging a new path and making personal, intimate connections with Divinity (ies). This can be powerful and life changing.
alah01
Apprentice
Last Login:September 23, 2010, 01:41:23 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Solitary Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #73: September 27, 2009, 10:40:19 pm »

I choose to be solitary because I prefer to pratise in privacy and in the comfort of my own home.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.