The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 12, 2020, 02:16:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 12, 2020, 02:16:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help Needed Finding My Path  (Read 9528 times)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 21, 2008, 05:54:15 pm »

I hope it's ok to link to other sites, but these quizzes might help you.
Spiritual beliefs: http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html
Lol, I've got 100% Neo-Pagan, 88% Mahayana-Buddhism, 85% New Age, but some question were awkward and I didn't know what to choose.
With this one I have major problems to answer the yes/no questions, also often I just don't understand how most of them are meant.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

christyfl99
Apprentice
Last Login:July 25, 2010, 07:03:50 pm
United States United States

Religion: Neo-Pagan- Beginner

Blog entries (0)

christywild

Ignore
« Reply #16: April 21, 2008, 11:44:14 pm »

Pagan Traditions quizz: http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=PaganTraditions

They might help point you in a new direction, at least one that will allow you to think about and research some paths that fit with your basic beliefs. 

I took the beliefnet quiz and was told I'm 100% Neo-Pagan, which, when I read more about what that entailed, it pretty much dovetailed with what I, as a person, regardless of how I might have been brought up, still feel about things.  It felt more like someone telling me that I'm going in the right direction- for me anyways.  The other quiz was no help to me whatsoever...very confusing results.

Age is only important when it comes to wine and whiskey!
Butterfly30
Apprentice
Last Login:January 20, 2010, 02:33:54 pm

Religion: Spiritual

Every day is an adventure

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: April 26, 2008, 09:53:02 pm »

One of the first witches I met while searching for my path told me to sit down with a pen and paper and write out all my personal beliefs, exclusive of anything else.  Sort of like Randall (I think) said.  This was a very good exercise for me as it made me more focused about how I believed and then my reading and research did not confuse me so much as clarify details and refine things for me.
Blessings on your Journey~SF

(and remember it's a journey, not a destination)
I came from beliefnet. I took the belief-o-matic quiz. The top one was Neo-Paganism which brought me back onto this path. I just took the traditions quiz and the top one for me was Celtic Wicca, the 2nd one was Hellionis, Celtic Reconstructionist and something called Num..I don't know, but it came from the Romans, never heard of it. I am not taking the quiz too seriously though. I think I may just stick to being electic and learning from the different traditions, for now at least

Always learning and growing
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: April 26, 2008, 09:55:50 pm »

I came from beliefnet. I took the belief-o-matic quiz. The top one was Neo-Paganism which brought me back onto this path. I just took the traditions quiz and the top one for me was Celtic Wicca, the 2nd one was Hellionis, Celtic Reconstructionist and something called Num..I don't know, but it came from the Romans, never heard of it. I am not taking the quiz too seriously though. I think I may just stick to being electic and learning from the different traditions, for now at least

From the listing of Hellenismos and Celtic Recon, I suspect it's Nova Roma. That's the Roman equivalent to Hellenismos (or Greek Reconstructionism).

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: April 26, 2008, 10:28:37 pm »

I hope it's ok to link to other sites, but these quizzes might help you.
Pagan Traditions quizz: http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=PaganTraditions

I took that quiz once years ago.  I just retook it and I got 100% Neopagan followed by Secular Humanism (91%)

They might help point you in a new direction, at least one that will allow you to think about and research some paths that fit with your basic beliefs. 

I took this for the first time and the path I follow is #3.  My top five are as follows:
1. Mesopotamian
2. Numinism (which I never heard of)
3. Hellenic (the one I follow)
4. Finnish Paganism
5. Satanism (my parents would be real happy about this)

In both quizzes, the moral/ethic questions had nothing to do with my religion and I answered based on my own personal philosophy.  I agree with those that say there are flaws in them.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Caelesti
Journeyman
Last Login:October 14, 2011, 05:20:57 pm

Religion: Celtic/Hellenic Polytheist, ADF, UU

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: April 27, 2008, 12:39:35 am »

Numinism, from what I recall is a revival of early Roman Religion- focusing on numina (plural of numen) which are more like abstract spiritual powers than gods. There was 1 website I saw on it, but I don't think it's there any more.
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #21: April 27, 2008, 03:15:54 am »

I took that quiz once years ago.  I just retook it and I got 100% Neopagan followed by Secular Humanism (91%)

I took this for the first time and the path I follow is #3.  My top five are as follows:
1. Mesopotamian
4. Finnish Paganism

In both quizzes, the moral/ethic questions had nothing to do with my religion and I answered based on my own personal philosophy.  I agree with those that say there are flaws in them.
Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one who got Satanism in that quiz! I completly misunderstood one of the questions about 'embracing the dark' or what it was. Thought it meant something along the lines of coming to terms with your negative side and also with death & decay, I didn't realize they meant worshipping some sort of negative force or protest against Christianity or whatever Satanism does. But I admit I was tired and didn't read the questions very carefully. The results really shocked me.  Shocked Cheesy

With my colorful clothes and nature love I don't think I'd mix in well with Satanists. Also I have some ethics quite different from them.  Roll Eyes Maybe I'll try the quiz a second time when I'm properly awake.

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: April 27, 2008, 06:01:07 am »

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one who got Satanism in that quiz! I completly misunderstood one of the questions about 'embracing the dark' or what it was. Thought it meant something along the lines of coming to terms with your negative side and also with death & decay, I didn't realize they meant worshipping some sort of negative force or protest against Christianity or whatever Satanism does. But I admit I was tired and didn't read the questions very carefully. The results really shocked me.  Shocked Cheesy

Actually your original interpretation is closer to what Satanism actually *is*.  Most Satanists I've encountered in meat life or online don't put a lot of energy into protesting Christianity.  A sizeable portion use Satan as a metaphor or rolemodel anyway, rather than a deity to worship.  Largely Satanism is about embracing some of Christianity's sins as virtues, such as lust, greed, etc, as natural parts of what humans are.  That doesn't necessarily mean acting out on all of these drives, but in a way gives you more tools to work with those drives.  If someone punches you, do you really love and forgive him?  Or do you *want* to smash his head in?  It might not be the appropriate response, and Satanism doesn't suggest an absense of common sense or anything.  But it does focus on honesty.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
QuercusRobur
Journeyman
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 05:18:37 pm

Religion: Irish Traditionalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: April 27, 2008, 09:39:23 am »

I still don't know whee to go with myself, which path to choose. Please can someone help me

a) What have you done so far to find a path?

b) As others have said, it's not necessary to find a path.  I've known and respected some on-line pagans who'd been pagan for over ten years and still didn't have a path.  Sometimes the only path I think I'm on is my own.
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 27, 2008, 03:25:04 pm »

1. Mesopotamian
4. Finnish Paganism

1.    Neo-Pagan  (100%)
2.    New Age (90%)
3.    Unitarian Universalism (70%)
4.    Liberal Quakers (69%)
5.    Mahayana Buddhism (67%)

Scarily enough, Scientology was a 55%

The second one:

1. Hellenic
2. Old English Heathenry
3. Romuva
4. Slavic
5. Numinism

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
Butterfly30
Apprentice
Last Login:January 20, 2010, 02:33:54 pm

Religion: Spiritual

Every day is an adventure

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: April 27, 2008, 10:16:52 pm »

a) What have you done so far to find a path?

b) As others have said, it's not necessary to find a path.  I've known and respected some on-line pagans who'd been pagan for over ten years and still didn't have a path.  Sometimes the only path I think I'm on is my own.
I've been doing a lot of online reading, my present circumstances means that I can't order online(folks watching my spending and I am using my debit card less(learned a big lesson a summer ago) I need to see where my money goes so ordering anything online was out of the question.

I am private and don't like to draw attention to myself, I have no intention of letting my friends or family know because they'd think I'd gone crazy obsessive, I've discussed my beliefs at other times and hit a wall.
As of yet I haven't found a diety to worship just yet, there is still quite a bit of research to do, all of it online. I have a Barnes and Noble, but it doesn't offer much or anything good. Maybe will look into mythology next time...hmm
 I am a newbie, I've only been following the path for just over a month. I have constructed an altar, that looks like an arrangment. It's my spring altar. I have my handmade prayer beads to hold while I meditate for 5 to 10 minutes. That's what I've started with. My question that I hope someone can answer for me is: Do you need all those tools to do ritual? I chose to be solitary( I live in good ol New England, I don't drive and there aren't any good bookstores around here or other people to learn from so the net's all I have) What do I really need even if I don't find a path? Anything would be helpful, I am like a sponge, ready to absorb anything and everything. I love to read anything that interests me . Guidiance please

Always learning and growing
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #26: April 28, 2008, 07:54:12 am »

Actually your original interpretation is closer to what Satanism actually *is*.  Most Satanists I've encountered in meat life or online don't put a lot of energy into protesting Christianity.  A sizeable portion use Satan as a metaphor or rolemodel anyway, rather than a deity to worship.  Largely Satanism is about embracing some of Christianity's sins as virtues, such as lust, greed, etc, as natural parts of what humans are.  That doesn't necessarily mean acting out on all of these drives, but in a way gives you more tools to work with those drives.  If someone punches you, do you really love and forgive him?  Or do you *want* to smash his head in?  It might not be the appropriate response, and Satanism doesn't suggest an absense of common sense or anything.  But it does focus on honesty.
Thanks for enlightening me. Still not my crowd, I can't even stand gothic style (not that I mind people wearing it, but not my kind of thing).

I think it's necessary to be honest to yourself and admit that you feel jealousy, greed, anger and everything. It's just human. But I wouldn't dwell on a rebell figure all the time either or see that sort of work as the prime one. Just think it's an obstacle you have to overcome at a certain point on your path.

And isn't this sort of work (coming to terms with your own negative side) also included in other paths? I think Starhawk talks about 'confronting your shadow' in Spiral Dance.

Just think the quiz is largly oversimplifying (like many quizzes). Look at another question: For example the one with 'do you believe all Gods are aspects of one Horned God?' Another one I didn't know how to answer. I believe the Horned God is just an image for a certain kind of energy. But of course he shares aspects with other male Gods so you can group them together under one label, but even then he'd be one in a larger crowd equal to other Gods. IMO he can stand metonymically for all male Gods like an apple can stand metonymically for all fruits, but so could a pear. So in a way I cold cross 'yes', but not sure it is the kind of 'yes' they meant.

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #27: April 28, 2008, 08:13:25 am »

Just retook it and realized that they didn't even ask if you think your path should be earth-centered, what would be a primary factor for me. Still some funny results here, some may fit partly, especially the 'ecclectic' in #3  Tongue :

1. Thelema Huh
2. Celtic Wicca
3. Ecclectic Wicca
4. Numism Huh
5. Satanism  Roll Eyes

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: April 28, 2008, 08:17:45 am »

Thanks for enlightening me. Still not my crowd, I can't even stand gothic style (not that I mind people wearing it, but not my kind of thing).

I think you might be conflating Satanism with goth.  There may be an overlap of the two cultures, but it isn't a large one, and not all members of one belong to the other.

And isn't this sort of work (coming to terms with your own negative side) also included in other paths? I think Starhawk talks about 'confronting your shadow' in Spiral Dance.

Is only one path needed for each spiritual goal that exists?  meditation is included in Buddhism for example.  Does that mean it's unnecessary for anyone interested in meditation to pursue anything other than Buddhism?  On a different note, I've seen Pagan books talk about confronting the dark side.  It often sounds half hearted to me.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #29: April 28, 2008, 10:07:19 am »

Is only one path needed for each spiritual goal that exists?  meditation is included in Buddhism for example.  Does that mean it's unnecessary for anyone interested in meditation to pursue anything other than Buddhism?
No, but it depends on how ecclectic you are. I'd combine different aspects of different paths, but for me those should all be paths I'm feeling generally comfortable to. Not saying you can't otherwise, just that I wouldn't look into a path where I just like 10% or less of the whole thing. I'd check out paths I share the basic concepts and their place on my importance list first.

I wouldn't go into a Christian church for example, just because I think a couple of the ten commandments do make some sense, while I don't believe ethics have to come from an omnipresent God in the first place.

On a different note, I've seen Pagan books talk about confronting the dark side.  It often sounds half hearted to me.
I think it depends on what you see as half-heartedly. Christians may think I take ethics lightly just because I don't believe they need to be dictated from an omnipresent God or be part of your religion at all. I don't think I do take ethics lightly, but I don't have to see them as a main factor in religion. The main factor for being Pagan for me is my love for earth and life and my belief that everything is interconnected energetically. Everybody has some importance list, that doesn't mean you do something that isn't on top of it just pro forma without your heart in it. Not saying the books you read didn't really adress it half-heartedly, I'd have to know the books.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)