The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 21, 2020, 03:18:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 03:18:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help Needed Finding My Path  (Read 9749 times)
christyfl99
Apprentice
Last Login:July 25, 2010, 07:03:50 pm
United States United States

Religion: Neo-Pagan- Beginner

Blog entries (0)

christywild

Ignore
« Reply #30: July 25, 2010, 07:02:37 pm »

I took the beliefnet quiz and was told I'm 100% Neo-Pagan, which, when I read more about what that entailed, it pretty much dovetailed with what I, as a person, regardless of how I might have been brought up, still feel about things.  It felt more like someone telling me that I'm going in the right direction- for me anyways.  The other quiz was no help to me whatsoever...very confusing results.
Retook the quizzes today, after having studied the pagan religions in a little more depth for about two and a half years...Belief net said I was still Neo-Pagan and the other quiz said my first was Christo-Pagan and the second was Eclectic Wicca, so, if nothing else, beliefnet still says I'm the same

Age is only important when it comes to wine and whiskey!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RootRealm
Journeyman
Last Login:August 21, 2010, 07:37:59 am

Religion: Hermetic Witchcraft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: July 30, 2010, 12:02:37 am »

I've been doing a lot of online reading, my present circumstances means that I can't order online(folks watching my spending and I am using my debit card less(learned a big lesson a summer ago) I need to see where my money goes so ordering anything online was out of the question.

I am private and don't like to draw attention to myself, I have no intention of letting my friends or family know because they'd think I'd gone crazy obsessive, I've discussed my beliefs at other times and hit a wall.
As of yet I haven't found a diety to worship just yet, there is still quite a bit of research to do, all of it online. I have a Barnes and Noble, but it doesn't offer much or anything good. Maybe will look into mythology next time...hmm
 I am a newbie, I've only been following the path for just over a month. I have constructed an altar, that looks like an arrangment. It's my spring altar. I have my handmade prayer beads to hold while I meditate for 5 to 10 minutes. That's what I've started with. My question that I hope someone can answer for me is: Do you need all those tools to do ritual? I chose to be solitary( I live in good ol New England, I don't drive and there aren't any good bookstores around here or other people to learn from so the net's all I have) What do I really need even if I don't find a path? Anything would be helpful, I am like a sponge, ready to absorb anything and everything. I love to read anything that interests me . Guidiance please

I feel for you, wishing for information and not finding much yet.  If you've been on the path only a month, take heart, that's a very short time, and it may help to focus on what you've already accomplished (you have an altar, a spring altar you call it, and your prayer beads) instead of focusing on what you don't know yet.  Tools aren't necessary to ritual, though they help.  If you're interested in finding better books than you have in your area, why not browse online on Amazon or Abe's or Alibris or one of the big online booksellers, searching under whatever subject or word seems most meaningful to you at the time. 

Continue to read everything that interests you.  Stay with what interests you the most and you're sure to find your way! 

If you live according to an example, you live the life of that example.  There is only one way and that is your way.  You seek the path? I warn you away from my own.  May each go his own way....  ---Carl Jung
Kat38
Senior Newbie
Last Login:September 12, 2010, 05:51:49 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: July 31, 2010, 10:18:36 pm »

Retook the quizzes today, after having studied the pagan religions in a little more depth for about two and a half years...Belief net said I was still Neo-Pagan and the other quiz said my first was Christo-Pagan and the second was Eclectic Wicca, so, if nothing else, beliefnet still says I'm the same

I took the quizzes for the first time just now. I matched 100% for neo-paganism, and 82% Quaker?!?! Somewhat disturbing, it was the #2 thing on there! I don't think I'll be studying their path, though!

Kat
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: July 31, 2010, 10:35:29 pm »

I took the quizzes for the first time just now. I matched 100% for neo-paganism, and 82% Quaker?!?! Somewhat disturbing, it was the #2 thing on there! I don't think I'll be studying their path, though!

Well, Quakers are pacifists and don't have clergy so if you answered questions with these leanings it makes sense. (Can't offhand remember what the test entails) Why not study their beliefs? You may find something in it that calls to you. Taking a Western Religions class has been really interesting to me, even though JCI religions aren't my thing. I've enjoyed learning about them, and to what extremes some of my classmates take their beliefs. Smiley

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #34: August 01, 2010, 12:13:13 am »

Aww, Quakers are cool! Why the adverse reaction?

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Kat38
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: August 01, 2010, 01:14:05 pm »

Aww, Quakers are cool! Why the adverse reaction?

Just my impressions of them, I guess. I've always thought of Quakers as being quite devout, strict, and their religion overshadows everything, somewhat overtaking their lives, instead of being a part of their lives. Hrmmm. Hard to explain, and that's not exactly what I mean. I keep my beliefs with me in whatever I do, but I live my life with them beside me, and guiding me, not I live my life because of what my beliefs tell me to do. Does that make sense?

Kat
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #36: August 01, 2010, 01:50:55 pm »

Just my impressions of them, I guess. I've always thought of Quakers as being quite devout, strict, and their religion overshadows everything, somewhat overtaking their lives, instead of being a part of their lives. Hrmmm. Hard to explain, and that's not exactly what I mean. I keep my beliefs with me in whatever I do, but I live my life with them beside me, and guiding me, not I live my life because of what my beliefs tell me to do. Does that make sense?

That's very alien to me, as I know Quakers (the local Friends' Meeting House has let my Unitarian group have a place to crash, since we don't have a church building ourselves yet) and lived near a Quaker-affiliated school, and all I've seen are good, peace-loving folk who believe that the spark of the divine is in everyone. I'm really confused as to where you're getting these other impressions. In my experience, Quakers have been some of the most open (and liberal) folks I know.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #37: August 01, 2010, 01:54:37 pm »

You might find this interesting. 

http://quakerpagan.blogspot.com/

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 11:52:16 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #38: August 01, 2010, 03:12:09 pm »

And there are non-theist ones as well.

We have a thread here for posting/discussing results from one quiz of that sort, and it makes a distinction between Liberal Quakers and Orthodox Quakers.  I'm not sure if that's the way the Society of Friends (their formal name) breaks it down, or whether they make a clear distinction at all, but I do know that there's a very wide spectrum of positions (not really surprising given that one of their core tenets is, as Ellen mentioned, that everyone has a spark of the divine).  The ones Marilyn and I linked are definitely on the liberal end.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: August 01, 2010, 03:26:07 pm »

Absent

Thanks for that link Marilyn. Very interesting and informative. Smiley

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Kat38
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: August 03, 2010, 12:47:29 pm »

Absent
Thank you for posting this, and everyone for all your posts and links. I guess that the impressions I have about the Quakers are due mostly to lack of information about them, their beliefs and ways. Very interesting reading, and my impressions were actually WAY off! I guess that the first thing that pops into my head (yeah I know, this is stupid) is the guy on the Quaker Oats container. Then next thing I think of are the early Quakers, and I was off and running in quite the wrong direction. Of course, had I stopped to think, their beliefs have grown and changed quite a bit over the years!

Kat

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)