The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 24, 2017, 06:36:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 06:36:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Superstitions  (Read 4773 times)
dartxni
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 28, 2010, 09:47:31 pm
United States United States

Religion: Searching

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 22, 2008, 10:43:38 pm »

I start too many threads. In my defense, I always do search to make sure a thread about my topic isn't already there. Oh well. I'm just waiting (3 more days) to be a full member.

What superstitions do you know of?  Which ones do you follow? Are you embarrassed?

Ones I follow:
I know of the one saying that buying a tarot deck for yourself is unlucky, and that somebody should give it to you. I learned it when my mom gave my sister a tarot deck.
I knock on wood. If no wood is to be found, I knock on my skull.
I cross my fingers for good luck. When I was a kid I crossed my fingers if I knew I was going to break a promise as I was making it.
I throw spilled salt over my left shoulder.
Astrology. Nuff said.
I found a 4 leaved clover once.
Bad luck happens in threes.

Ones I know of:
Leaving milk outside for elves.
A horseshoe above the door to keep trickster elves out.
Never whistle behind stage. If you do, spin three times or the show will be a disaster.
A ghost light is kept on inside the theater when everybody is gone.
Crows are bad omens
Its bad luck if a black cat crosses your path.
If you sneeze, it means somebody is talking about you, somewhere.
If you walk over your own grave you will get a cold chill.
13 is an unlucky number.

3 is a lucky number.
4 is a lucky number.
5 is a lucky number.
6 is a lucky number.
7 (and multiples of) is a lucky number.
9 is a lucky number.
17 is a lucky number.
108 is a lucky number.
(Is it just me or do the lucky numbers seem to out number the unlucky one(s)?)

And as for the last question, I am not a bit embarrassed.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Enchanted Spirit
Journeyman
Last Login:March 26, 2008, 11:16:10 am

Religion: Pagan Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 22, 2008, 11:50:26 pm »

What superstitions do you know of?  Which ones do you follow? Are you embarrassed?

When I was little I used to avoid stepping on a crack in the sidewalk for fear of breaking my mothers back.  Of course, I outgrew that one.  Wink

Of the ones listed, I believe that black cats are good luck, not bad, and the number 13 is a lucky number.  Friday the 13th has never been a bad day and has always proven to be fairly nice when it occurs.  My grandmother was born on the 13th.  She was quite the sweetie pie (grandpa called her that as well). 

Bad luck does seem to come in three's (for me anyway).  I've always kept a small mirror over my entry door to deflect negativity.  I keep a gargoyle by my front door to deter demons.  My house has dragons in every room to denote strength, health, harmony, and good luck.  They also ward off demons and evil spirits.  I believe the numbers 3 and 9 are lucky (although I have yet to win the lottery with them!  Hmmmm!).   Undecided

As for the question of being embarrassed......I'm not sure of what to be embarrassed about.  If it's about my superstitious nature, the answer is no.     Grin
dartxni
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 23, 2008, 12:21:27 am »

When I was little I used to avoid stepping on a crack in the sidewalk for fear of breaking my mothers back.  Of course, I outgrew that one.  Wink

Of the ones listed, I believe that black cats are good luck, not bad, and the number 13 is a lucky number.  Friday the 13th has never been a bad day and has always proven to be fairly nice when it occurs.  My grandmother was born on the 13th.  She was quite the sweetie pie (grandpa called her that as well). 
I agree with you. I've always been of opinion that 13 is a number of change, and since change is sometimes scary it has a bad reputation. On the other hand, change is often good.
Slynth
Apprentice
Last Login:August 05, 2010, 02:02:44 am

Religion: Pagan-something

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 23, 2008, 04:26:52 am »

I also knock on wood! 
I try, really try, to live by "Do NOT tempt fate."   As in...  "Gee, I haven't had X happen to me in a long time.... OW!"  I am, apparently, NOT too old to skin my knee, get stung by a bee, or lock my keys in my car.
Knives/swords are not to be gifted.  If I receive one as a present, I'll give the other party a penny or whatever random coin I have on me.  I learned this one from a friend, and for some reason it stuck.

And I'm not embarassed.Smiley
dartxni
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 23, 2008, 04:47:45 am »

I also knock on wood! 
I try, really try, to live by "Do NOT tempt fate."   As in...  "Gee, I haven't had X happen to me in a long time.... OW!"  I am, apparently, NOT too old to skin my knee, get stung by a bee, or lock my keys in my car.
Knives/swords are not to be gifted.  If I receive one as a present, I'll give the other party a penny or whatever random coin I have on me.  I learned this one from a friend, and for some reason it stuck.

And I'm not embarassed.Smiley

I like this one because it makes good symbolic sense. Knives cut and therefore giving one might accidentally cut the friendship. Have you heard of the one where you put a penny in a wallet that you are giving to someone, so that it attracts more wealth?
Violet
Journeyman
Last Login:December 07, 2009, 12:44:07 am
Australia Australia

Religion: ...Who Knows

If you wait, I'll give all my aches to you...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 23, 2008, 06:28:57 am »

I always knock on wood
I never let someone i care about leave/drive off if weve just had a fight without making up (im frightened they'll have an accident or something)
I dont walk under ladders etc
I cant knowingly drive off without my license or P-plates because if i do it knowingly i become convinced i will get pulled over by the cops - kind of a Murphy's Law/Tempting fate thing...

Apparently its good luck to be pooped on by a bird (though i dont know anyone who would see it that way)
I find 4 leaf clovers all the time in my backyard, ive heard its something to do with the amount of nitrogen in the soil.....or something like that...

Let us go then, you and I
When the evening is spread out against the sky,
Like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 23, 2008, 06:47:30 am »

That's interesting. I was always told it was bad luck UNLESS you were born on it.  I have a cousin that was born on that day, it's his luckiest day. Smiley
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 23, 2008, 09:38:34 am »

I knock on wood, and I avoid walking under ladders. I also follow astrology/horoscopes, though in general I just use it to help me prepare myself mentally for the day.

I think I've actually become slightly more superstitious over the years. Being a filmmaker means being a little superstitious, though, given, most of the superstitions are there for safety or practical reasons (yelling, "watch your eyes" when turning on lights; yelling out when your task is done and what you did; only letting the director say "cut"; not saying "we'll fix it in post" or "it's all up here"--while pointing to your head)*. And then there's more theater stuff like "the Scottish play" and "break a leg", but I'm not involved in theatre work so I tend not to say things like that unless talking to my theater friends.

*Those last two reasons are my personal inventions--I always get nervous on shoots where the director (or I) am saying those things, because then I know I am truly in trouble.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Enchanted Spirit
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 23, 2008, 09:58:46 am »

That's interesting. I was always told it was bad luck UNLESS you were born on it.  I have a cousin that was born on that day, it's his luckiest day. Smiley

I suppose it all depends on what you were brought up to believe.  Maybe Grandma didn't want us all to think we were all doomed but her on Friday the 13th.   Wink
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #9: March 23, 2008, 11:58:09 am »

If you sneeze, it means somebody is talking about you, somewhere.

Not about sneezing, exactly, but 'if your nose is itchy it means you are going to kiss a fool' provokes a fair bit of kissing between my husband and I.

Giving/getting a knife as a gift requires getting/giving a penny in return.

Never give an empty wallet or purse.

Never go to bed angry - this doesn't mean you have to resolve the fight, but you do have to move it from 'highly emotional' to 'this needs work'.  Still, it has resulted in a few all-nighters for hubby and me.

Sleeping with your feet covered means waking up with a headache - silly, but it actually applies to me.

Throwing salt over shoulder to avert bad luck after spilling some.

Itchy feet mean travel, hands mean money going out (right) or coming in (left).

I'm sure there's more, but that's all that come to me off the top of my head.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Maggie
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 12, 2012, 04:18:49 pm

Religion: ADF Style Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 23, 2008, 12:51:06 pm »

I still try not to step on the cracks "just in case". 
\
In college, my roommate told me that it was good luck to tap on the window if you go through a yellow light.  If you go through three on the same trip you can make a wish.  It's a little weird explaining to a coworker why you are tapping on the window.  Luckily most of them know that I'm a little bit different anyway.

Maggie

"Few things are needful to make the wise man happy, but nothing satisfies the fool---and this is the reason why so many of mankind are miserable."                 
                                                       LaRochefoucauld
sevenrabbits
Apprentice
Last Login:July 14, 2009, 09:01:00 am

Religion: Alla luce dei santi

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 23, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »

In addition to following some of the ones already mentioned (salt over the shoulder, lucky numbers, bad luck comes in 3's, etc.) I also...

only pick up a penny if it's heads up

believe that a cricket in the house is good luck

wish on shooting stars

throw coins in a fountain and make a wish

make a wish while breaking a wishbone

I've also always been very fond of cats, black ones included.  Grin

That's all I can think of right now but I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting. Oh, and not embarassed at all.  Wink

In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous. - Aristotle
Enchanted Spirit
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 23, 2008, 02:38:11 pm »

I agree with you. I've always been of opinion that 13 is a number of change, and since change is sometimes scary it has a bad reputation. On the other hand, change is often good.

I agree, change is often good, even if we aren't of that opinion when it happens.  Could you imagine what our lives would be like if they never changed?  How depressing.
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 23, 2008, 07:44:51 pm »

I knock on wood. If no wood is to be found, I knock on my skull.

That's the only one of mine I think, and I do exactly as you do. All the time. Obsessively so. My coffee table is soon to have a knuckle print on it.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 23, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

Friday the 13th is a lucky day.

I make wishes upon the first star I see at night.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)