The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2019, 06:35:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2019, 06:35:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: I think I met a deity...  (Read 3462 times)
Ethel
Last Login:May 27, 2008, 05:04:26 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Celtic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 23, 2008, 02:26:07 am »

Apologies if this isn't where it should be - I'm not quite sure where, if anywhere, it 'fits'. 

I think I met Sulis last night.  Now I'm asking myself did that really happen?  Part of me isn't sure whether She really was who she said she was, or something else pretending to be in order to trick me into something... or whether that's just being ridiculously paranoid.  So, does this tally with anyone else's experiences of meeting a deity? Or does it sound fishy?  Or should I just stop obsessing and see what happens next?  Smiley

A little bit of relevant background: I have a tiny bit of healing ability.  I can 'pull' pain out of a person's body, and ground it.  It doesn't always work, and only seems to work on certain people.  I have some undiagnosed arthritis-type business going on at the moment... and no, I can't heal myself.  Smiley

Here's how it happened: I was trying to get to sleep with various aches and pains, I wasn't even meditating, when I felt a presence, very very powerful.  She told me she was Sulis, and that she could heal me, if I healed her.  Her arms were burnt - she said it was from the hot water of the spring and that while she could heal others, she couldn't heal her own burns.  So I 'pulled' the pain out of her and grounded it.  While I was doing that, I felt a sort of pressure against my right temple, that progressed through my body as though something were moving through it, and out the left side.  This took a few minutes and I was worried, because there was a very odd sense of having something not-me inside me.

When She'd finished, the pain was mostly gone.  She told me to have a warm shower, and that 'whatever isn't cured now, soon will be.'   And today I feel the best I have for quite a while.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 23, 2008, 07:05:01 am »

Apologies if this isn't where it should be - I'm not quite sure where, if anywhere, it 'fits'. 

I think I met Sulis last night.  Now I'm asking myself did that really happen?  Part of me isn't sure whether She really was who she said she was, or something else pretending to be in order to trick me into something... or whether that's just being ridiculously paranoid.  So, does this tally with anyone else's experiences of meeting a deity? Or does it sound fishy?  Or should I just stop obsessing and see what happens next?  Smiley

Interesting. Smiley I tried looking up Sulis, but all I could find was a VERY small article about her on Wikipedia.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulis

Do you have anymore info on her?  I'm just being nosy.  Grin LOL I honestly couldn't tell you if she was a real goddess or something else.  You could meditate and ask her. 
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 23, 2008, 08:23:05 am »

Sounds like you definitely met someone and no, I don't think it was a trick. Smiley Might not have been the actual goddess Sulis (there is very likely to be more than one being in existence with that name!) but it very well could have been.

I haven't worked with Sulis at all, so I can't share any experience from that front.

Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 23, 2008, 11:37:17 am »

It sounds like you had a very powerful experience. 

A little skepticism is healthy, not paranoid.  However, this entity - whether goddess or no - so far seems to be a helpful one.  Unless she asks you for something you're uncomfortable giving, I'd stop worrying and see where this goes. 

Maybe try some meditation as others have suggested, and if she shows up again, ask her about herself? 
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #4: March 23, 2008, 01:26:33 pm »

She told me she was Sulis,

Hopefully Moon Ivy will see this thread.  I'm not too familiar with Sulis but I seem to remember MI looking into her in connection to Bridget - the possibility that they are connected, or that she was renamed Sulis by the Romans at some point.

I'll give her a nudge for you.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: March 23, 2008, 01:44:31 pm »

Hopefully Moon Ivy will see this thread.  I'm not too familiar with Sulis but I seem to remember MI looking into her in connection to Bridget - the possibility that they are connected, or that she was renamed Sulis by the Romans at some point.

I'll give her a nudge for you.

Absent

Ethel,

I have done some research on Sulis, as Marilyn noted.  I have a working theory that Brighid and Sulis are actually two (of many) names for the same deity.

I'm a bit tied up with family Easter celebrations today, but will have some time to come back later this evening and post more about that.

In the meantime, here is a thread with several links to Sulis material, which I posted a while back when someone else was looking into Sulis:

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=4407.msg75576#msg75576

~MI

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: March 23, 2008, 08:12:33 pm »

I think I met Sulis last night.  Now I'm asking myself did that really happen?  Part of me isn't sure whether She really was who she said she was, or something else pretending to be in order to trick me into something... or whether that's just being ridiculously paranoid.  So, does this tally with anyone else's experiences of meeting a deity? Or does it sound fishy?  Or should I just stop obsessing and see what happens next?

Sorry I was rushed in my reply earlier.

I'm not sure I have much to add, actually -- unless you want to talk about my Brighid-Sulis theory.

About your experience, I'd say it sounds real enough to me.  I have to admit, though, the part about Sulis needing her arms healed sounded a bit...odd.

She is a healing goddess and was also associated with justice.  There is physical evidence in the form of inscriptions on metal plaques that Her worshippers petitioned Her to avenge wrongs that were done to them by other people.  I believe She was considered quite powerful, so the idea that She would need a mortal to heal Her strikes me as a little unusual.

Did you have the feeling that the request was really about healing?  Or was it more of a sort of..."test"...to see if you were willing to work with Her?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Ethel
Last Login:May 27, 2008, 05:04:26 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Celtic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 23, 2008, 10:30:10 pm »

About your experience, I'd say it sounds real enough to me.  I have to admit, though, the part about Sulis needing her arms healed sounded a bit...odd.

She is a healing goddess and was also associated with justice.  There is physical evidence in the form of inscriptions on metal plaques that Her worshippers petitioned Her to avenge wrongs that were done to them by other people.  I believe She was considered quite powerful, so the idea that She would need a mortal to heal Her strikes me as a little unusual.

Did you have the feeling that the request was really about healing?  Or was it more of a sort of..."test"...to see if you were willing to work with Her?

Yes... it struck me as rather odd, too, which got me tied up in an ever-increasing circle of paranoia.  I hadn't considered the possibility of it being a test, so thanks every so much for that suggestion.

When I was much younger and even sillier than I am now, I got involved in bubblegum-Wicca of the 'chuck some stuff in a pot, call a random deity' variety, being too green to realise what I was doing was disrespectful and potentially quite dangerous.  So these days I tend to go to the other extreme, researching everything in minute detail and panicking if anything unexpected or out of the ordinary happens. 

I've done a fair bit of research on Sulis lately, which makes me wonder whether a) it really was Her, having noticed the attention (or maybe She was guiding me to the research in the first place?), or b) it was another deity or being, using Sulis' name because they knew it was one I was familiar with.

Thank you very, very much for your replies.  It's much appreciated.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2019, 03:35:54 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: March 23, 2008, 11:31:16 pm »

When I was much younger and even sillier than I am now, I got involved in bubblegum-Wicca of the 'chuck some stuff in a pot, call a random deity' variety, being too green to realise what I was doing was disrespectful and potentially quite dangerous.  So these days I tend to go to the other extreme, researching everything in minute detail and panicking if anything unexpected or out of the ordinary happens.
As a bit of input that might help you find a balance point on that, the disrespect/danger of the approach you describe does depend quite a bit on other attitudes.  Call up a deity you're not acquainted with to make demands - bad manners indeed, and likely to piss off even a very mellow and good-natured deity.  But if you're asking for, not demanding, their presence and good will, and treat them with respect while they are present, it can be an effective way to become acquainted.  Very bootstrap and seat-of-the-pants, but workable.  (Example:  Years ago, I got to know Brigid because she seemed like the appropriate goddess to invoke at Brigidfeast - it seemed less disrespectful to call her, though she didn't know me from a hole in the ground, than to call someone else for the sabbat that bears her name.  Now I'm in the Cauldron Cill.)

I've done a fair bit of research on Sulis lately, which makes me wonder whether a) it really was Her, having noticed the attention (or maybe She was guiding me to the research in the first place?), or b) it was another deity or being, using Sulis' name because they knew it was one I was familiar with.
Yep, could be any of those.  You've summed up the possibilities very well, I think.  To determine which is accurate, though, I think you may need to step a bit out of your comfort zone - research only goes so far, and ultimately you'll need to talk to whoever-it-was, which means a certain amount of "unexpected and out of the ordinary".

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 24, 2008, 07:08:08 am »

Interesting. Smiley I tried looking up Sulis, but all I could find was a VERY small article about her on Wikipedia.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulis

Do you have anymore info on her?  I'm just being nosy.  Grin LOL I honestly couldn't tell you if she was a real goddess or something else.  You could meditate and ask her. 

She is definitely a real goddess.

I have been doing a lot of research on her recently - she is my local Deity after all.  Moon Ivy gave me some links to start with. Try also searching under Sul ( her Celtic name before it was romanised to Sulis and Sulis Minerva ) Searching google images for Sul also brings up hits that the normal google search doesn't.

My own experiences of her have been overwhelmingly positive - I am not sure what to make of the burned arms  though.

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.