The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 16, 2021, 11:25:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2021, 11:25:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Having trouble grounding  (Read 4040 times)
Derg Corra
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 08, 2008, 09:29:15 pm
United States United States

Religion: Aspiring Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 24, 2008, 11:38:22 pm »

Up until recently I hadn't really had many significant ritual experiences, but as I have invested myself more into practice and also perhaps come more attuned with the powers that be, I have noticed that the warnings that I felt simply didn't apply to me now do.

For instance, I never really raised enough energy in a ritual to actually worry about coming out of it a little messed up, incoherent, jittery, etc...  I had thought the warnings in the books were for "sensitive" people or maybe the fanciful types that maybe just like the idea of getting so worked up that they have to release some of the energy.  But I have been working more in a group setting recently and for the second time in a row, I have gotten headaches after ritual.  I am the type of person who never, ever gets headaches.  So this is showing me that the whole need for grounding is not mere myth or something for people who are a little out there.

Even when I am supposed to have a headache, like with a sinus infection, I usually don't.  But after these two rituals I got a sort of splitting pain.  It isn't bad enough to stop me from what I'm doing, but it is troublesome if I am trying to focus, relax, or simply drive home.

I learned early on about the whole cakes + ale, eating/drinking to ground and center, but this is simply not doing it for me.  I tried to put my hands out on the ground and get rid of it at Ostara and still had a headache afterwards.

So on one hand I guess this means I am actually working with some type of energy during ritual, as opposed to not being able to do so before, which is progress, but on the other hand I am having a problem managing the side effects.  It is now hours later, after eating/drinking something, getting a shower, and I still have the slightest tinge of pain lingering.

Any suggestions?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #1: March 25, 2008, 01:18:19 am »

Any suggestions?

Ground before you start.  Not so that you can dump energy during the ritual, that wouldn't be fair to the others involved, but so that you can dump the excess immediately after when you might not be in a state to effectively ground 'from scratch'.

I don't do many multi-person rituals, but I am familiar with the spacey, headachey, left-a-window-open in my head feeling.  I find that if I pick a spot before ritual, somewhere outside the circle, and establish a draining-type connection, I can go there immediately after.  I usually leave a link there - a stone or feather that I can pick up to re-establish the connection without having to be mentally 'up to it'.

When I remember to do this, I have a much easier time with after-effects.  If I forget, I usually, as soon as I get home, go to any projects or open spells that I am working on and pour the energy into that.  It definitely adds a kick to what I'm working on, but it isn't always the appropriate kind of kick, depending on the purpose of the spell I'm working on and the purpose of the ritual I just finished.  It does save my aching head, though.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #2: March 25, 2008, 03:00:59 am »

Ground before you start.  Not so that you can dump energy during the ritual, that wouldn't be fair to the others involved, but so that you can dump the excess immediately after when you might not be in a state to effectively ground 'from scratch'.

I second that.
You should be grounded all the time anyway imho (except the guys that just can't stand that - we've had an interessting discussion about this topic once.)

The job of the base chakra is to keep up a constant exchange of energy with the earth to keep your energy system flowing and clean. There are a lot of different methods. You'll just have to experiment a bit to find the one that helps you the best.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 25, 2008, 10:21:08 am »

So on one hand I guess this means I am actually working with some type of energy during ritual, as opposed to not being able to do so before, which is progress, but on the other hand I am having a problem managing the side effects.  It is now hours later, after eating/drinking something, getting a shower, and I still have the slightest tinge of pain lingering.

First note: you may well have been working with energy during your personal work; sometimes group work hits people differently. (After all, you're dealing with not only your own energy, but other people's, and may not be using your preferred methods all the time.)

Things to try:
1) Explore some different grounding methods on your own (the tree version, the idea of extra energy flowing out of you, etc.) so that you can try them after your group work. Chances are good some methods will feel more comfortable/natural for you than others.

2) Try some other quick tricks.

- Food is a good one (especially dense carbohydrates or protein - avoid sugar until you're better grounded, in general.)
- Salt under the tongue is remarkably effective.
- Try sitting on the floor or stretching out on it for a few minutes. (Outside is even better if that's an option, but the floor will do.)
- One physical trigger: try tapping your fingers on the ball of your foot right below the space between your 2nd and 3rd toes (about an inch down, where the curve of the ball of your foot comes in). Tap 10-20 times with two fingers, about twice a second.

One other technique you might find useful - this is one of the reasons for ritual clothing, in that you can take it *off* when you're done: this can serve as a reminder to your subconscious that  you are no longer in ritual, and can let that extra energy go. For example, my ritual cords are always the last thing I put on, and they're the first thing to come off: it's a signal to my brain/body that the ritual's over now. Pendants, bracelets, a belt or cord, etc. all work - the idea is that it's got to be something you notice not being there.

3) Try different methods over a short period of time
I.e. try grounding out extra energy at the end of ritual. 10 minutes later, find a quiet corner, and walk yourself through a more deliberate version (walking yourself step by step through whichever method seems to work best.) Have some food. If you still need more help, try salt  under your tongue.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 25, 2008, 10:59:20 am »

Up until recently I hadn't really had many significant ritual experiences, but as I have invested myself more into practice and also perhaps come more attuned with the powers that be, I have noticed that the warnings that I felt simply didn't apply to me now do.

For instance, I never really raised enough energy in a ritual to actually worry about coming out of it a little messed up, incoherent, jittery, etc...  I had thought the warnings in the books were for "sensitive" people or maybe the fanciful types that maybe just like the idea of getting so worked up that they have to release some of the energy.  But I have been working more in a group setting recently and for the second time in a row, I have gotten headaches after ritual.  I am the type of person who never, ever gets headaches.  So this is showing me that the whole need for grounding is not mere myth or something for people who are a little out there.

Even when I am supposed to have a headache, like with a sinus infection, I usually don't.  But after these two rituals I got a sort of splitting pain.  It isn't bad enough to stop me from what I'm doing, but it is troublesome if I am trying to focus, relax, or simply drive home.

I learned early on about the whole cakes + ale, eating/drinking to ground and center, but this is simply not doing it for me.  I tried to put my hands out on the ground and get rid of it at Ostara and still had a headache afterwards.

Any suggestions?

For me, being aware of how much energy I'm raising, BEFORE I get to the point where I'm talking a mile a minute, can't sit still and movement becomes a blur is key.  When you first start working with a group, it takes awhile to notice that sometimes you start building energy long before the ritual starts.  The anticipation, the preparation, the arrival - even the walk across the parking lot, especially if you had to screw up some courage to even go, can raise a static charge before you ever begin, and that extra charge lingers afterwards, since it's not really connected to any purpose.

Nervous energy counts.  When you walk in and you feel those first curls in the pit of your stomach, let them go.  Ground them out.  Tell yourself no.  Champing at the bit, ready to storm the gates... NO.  Bad.  Sit.  Stay.  There will be plenty of time to get your buzz on.

Find someone to make small talk with.  Stay connected to 'the real world' until you are directed into altered awareness.  Wait until you are given the *go* to allow that energy to build, and when you do focus on pouring it into the group container rather than allowing it to build in your body.   

I think also being less aware of the people around you afterwards when you're trying to ground is important.  I've found turning my back on others to do this helps because facing them I get caught up in their energy with a 'one more drink, and then I'll stop' mentality.  I'll taste just one more person and then I'll settle down.  The high energy of others afterwards is like a sparkly toy that you don't want to put away.  By wandering off afterwards, and 'reorganizing' myself I can force myself to move back inside myself.

I would also be very aware of dehydration.  That could be contributing to the headaches as well.  I did an event back in the day where I danced for 6 hours, and the first thing that came was the headache, then the cold sweats and dizziness, and eventually even water wasn't helping.  All the way home I had to pull over ever five minutes to puke back out all the water I had tried to put in too late to help.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Grymdycche
Journeyman
Last Login:December 09, 2009, 03:42:56 pm

Religion: Aspiring Trad Witchcraft

I never speak in absolutes ..except this one

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 02, 2008, 03:05:46 pm »

Any suggestions?

Are you 100% the headaches to are due to grounding or energy related problems?  Has anything else changed recently, in the physical environment?  It could be a form of allergic reaction, maybe to a kind of incense being burned or oil being diffused (if any), or something in the environment - maybe even the cakes or ale, if different or new. 

Qualis vir, talis oratio
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard might not be what I meant
Chaotic Equilibrium
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 16, 2008, 07:18:42 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Discordianism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 02, 2008, 03:24:43 pm »

Any suggestions?

From anything and everything I've ever studied on rituals and workings, the primary thing is to practice grounding properly before you actually go ahead with anything else. As you've already started practicing other rituals etc, I'd advise taking some time out now to practice grounding proficiently.

There are simple methods as many have mentioned and you will find some better than others for you, best advice is to look some up and try them. Preparation is the key to work anything out properly, so being prepared to ground yourself efficiently is the best thing you can do before approaching other rituals.

If you're talking about energy work and visualization within energy work. I've always enjoyed the method of creating a tree within your mind, watching it grow and as it grows upwardly, vision the roots going deeper and further into the Earth. With this picture your own energies that you no longer want to hold, flowing down those roots and dissolving completely away from your own self. It also works on an opposite side of the coin, that; ( Though in many instances it is polite, again depending on your specific beliefs, to ask first.) You are able to take in energy from the ground as well in the same method, merely in reverse. - Just a personal favourite method that I believe is quite common.

When one realises that the more we know about the universe;
The more confused we seem to be.
It's perhaps time that we consider the fact;
That the universe, is smarter than we are.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 02, 2008, 04:52:40 pm »

Are you 100% the headaches to are due to grounding or energy related problems?  Has anything else changed recently, in the physical environment?  It could be a form of allergic reaction, maybe to a kind of incense being burned or oil being diffused (if any), or something in the environment - maybe even the cakes or ale, if different or new.

While all of these are possible, why *not* try grounding? It's free, relatively simple to do for oneself (if a little time consuming at the start), and if it's what the actual issue is, it will likely help quickly.

In situations of this kind (and again, working with a reasonable range of students), I've yet to see harm come to someone from trying to work through grounding in this kind of situation (discomfort, but not "totally incapacitated/must go to emergency room" sorts of things). And it helps at least 50% of the time (maybe not all the way, but usually enough to really narrow down the other issues much faster.) I'm actually inclined to say it's more like 75% effective.

Checking on other stuff is definitely a good idea, of course - but in the case of cakes and ale, is the response to the physical food (someone reacting to nitrates, for example) or is a response to taking in the energy imbued into that food and drink? The answer to that is not always easy to figure out without making sure the energy side is under control. (Traditions vary, too. I will say I get more of a hit from the alcohol on 2 swallows of ritual wine from the Great Rite than I do from a glass of wine at dinner the next week.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Grymdycche
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 02, 2008, 05:36:59 pm »

While all of these are possible, why *not* try grounding? It's free, relatively simple to do for oneself (if a little time consuming at the start), and if it's what the actual issue is, it will likely help quickly.

I never suggested they don't try grounding too.   It was just an alternate possibility to consider as well.  Wink

Qualis vir, talis oratio
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard might not be what I meant
PNorwood
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 16, 2008, 09:30:17 am

Religion: Pagan

carrying magick into the new mellenium

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 18, 2008, 12:03:41 pm »

Any suggestions?

healing, light and peace
White Raven
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 18, 2008, 12:50:48 pm »

In situations of this kind (and again, working with a reasonable range of students), I've yet to see harm come to someone from trying to work through grounding in this kind of situation (discomfort, but not "totally incapacitated/must go to emergency room" sorts of things). And it helps at least 50% of the time (maybe not all the way, but usually enough to really narrow down the other issues much faster.) I'm actually inclined to say it's more like 75% effective.

Checking on other stuff is definitely a good idea, of course - but in the case of cakes and ale, is the response to the physical food (someone reacting to nitrates, for example) or is a response to taking in the energy imbued into that food and drink? The answer to that is not always easy to figure out without making sure the energy side is under control. (Traditions vary, too. I will say I get more of a hit from the alcohol on 2 swallows of ritual wine from the Great Rite than I do from a glass of wine at dinner the next week.)
Hehe, this is quite a complex (and interesting) topic. Grounding helps me against headache even if the headache isn't induced by energy work, but simply by doing too much head work or eating/drinking the wrong stuff.

I see it that simple: The energy goes where your conscience is. If you use your head all day, but your feet not very much you end up with a lot of energy sticking in your head. You can test your grounding with any balance exercise on one foot. Just look at the differences of how you perform in the exercise after an office day, a good sleep or a walk.

I second what Jenett says. Grounding also helps if the headache was induced by the wrong food at the wrong time as vice versa some food (herbs included) can also have a grounding effect. Eating is also taking specific sorts of energy, for example massive amounts of ginger are a bad combination with headache (especially if it's a PMS headache), but peppermint tea or ointment might cool the headache down (depending on what sort of headache it is).

Just my experiences. Headaches can be so different and caused by such a variety of factors it's hard to tell what someone else's problem is.

I also find the 'amount' of grounding I need depends a lot of what energy work I'm doing. If I'm practicing something that doesn't influence my personal energy structure in a healthy way, but I do it because I'm practicing in a group or I need that piece to complete a series of exercises I'm learning, I need more grounding than if I do something that nudges my system already into the healthy direction, so I don't need to counterbalance the exercise by extra grounding.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Grymdycche
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 19, 2008, 03:14:49 pm »

Any suggestions?

Use a 3 prong plug?    Cheesy  Cheesy  Ba dum dum..   Sorry, someone had to say it!!

Now that that's out of my system..
There's a nice section dedicated to grounding in Bonewits' "Real Energy" if you want to check that out.  I know I sound at times like a shameless plug for his books, but what can I say - he's one of my favorite authors on this kind of subject. Maybe it's a technique thing?

Qualis vir, talis oratio

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)