The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 06, 2020, 06:18:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 06, 2020, 06:18:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hopi Indian legends?  (Read 2604 times)
ehbowen
Master Member
Last Login:September 15, 2019, 01:51:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Southern Baptist

The Loco Engineer

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 25, 2008, 06:22:16 am »

On vacation last year, I paid a brief visit to the Hopi Indian reservation in Arizona. While there, I saw an intriguing reference in a museum to a Hopi legend about the coming of the "white man"—which was one of the reasons they initially welcomed Europeans, until it became apparent that we were not the fulfillment of the legend. I asked a couple of people while I was there, but I couldn't get a simple answer as to the origin of this legend. Would someone be able to point me in the right direction for more information?

--------Eric H. Bowen

Where's the KABOOM!? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Resistance is futile. We will be assimilated.—treekisser

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Alan
Last Login:September 21, 2010, 06:39:04 pm

Religion: Traditional Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 25, 2008, 02:39:19 pm »

The Book Of The Hopi, by Frank Waters. This was very informative, Mr Waters sat with Tribe elders to document their beleifs and rituals so they would not be lost forever.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #2: March 25, 2008, 05:28:40 pm »

The Book Of The Hopi, by Frank Waters.

This book is not really considered 'truthful' by the Hopi themselves.  If you read this thread at NAFPS there is a brief mention of this book possibly being the source of some misinformation later expanded on by charlatons:

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=8418251902b5f63f24a2110d02029039&topic=130.0

There are a couple of better sources mentioned in the thread as well, and you will get some idea of the type of deliberate changes and additions 'researchers' tend to make to the legends to sell more books.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #3: March 25, 2008, 05:48:00 pm »

This book is not really considered 'truthful' by the Hopi themselves.  If you read this thread at NAFPS there is a brief mention of this book possibly being the source of some misinformation later expanded on by charlatons:

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=8418251902b5f63f24a2110d02029039&topic=130.0

There are a couple of better sources mentioned in the thread as well, and you will get some idea of the type of deliberate changes and additions 'researchers' tend to make to the legends to sell more books.

Absent

Add to this that the book is overwhelmingly, mind-numbingly boring.  Smiley

Sperran
Derg Corra
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 08, 2008, 09:29:15 pm

Religion: Aspiring Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 25, 2008, 08:18:54 pm »

On vacation last year, I paid a brief visit to the Hopi Indian reservation in Arizona. While there, I saw an intriguing reference in a museum to a Hopi legend about the coming of the "white man"—which was one of the reasons they initially welcomed Europeans, until it became apparent that we were not the fulfillment of the legend. I asked a couple of people while I was there, but I couldn't get a simple answer as to the origin of this legend. Would someone be able to point me in the right direction for more information?

I was watching part of a documentary on either the Aztec or Mayan cultures (I think it was the latter)  sometime in the last week or two and heard something strikingly similar about their god, who promised one day to return.  Apparently they initially mistook the conquistadors as being representatives of him since they were white, or something similar.  Talk about a bummer of a mistake... Lips sealed

Maybe there is a correlation?

EDIT:  Knew I heard this, check out this link.  Apparently it's more Aztec than Maya but there is some overlap:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatl

scroll down to "Moctezuma controversy" and the idea that the king thought that Hernán Cortés was the god.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 09:21:43 pm by Derg Corra, Reason: added info » Logged
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: March 25, 2008, 10:30:29 pm »

EDIT:  Knew I heard this, check out this link.  Apparently it's more Aztec than Maya but there is some overlap:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatl

scroll down to "Moctezuma controversy" and the idea that the king thought that Hernán Cortés was the god.

I really wish you would have posted this edit as a separate message. Many people might have read the original message in the hour or so between when you posted it and when you made the edit. And they would never know you had edited it. This is why the rules say no edits (other than for typos and the like) after more than a few minutes have passed.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.