The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 26, 2020, 08:01:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2020, 08:01:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Offerings and shrines: books for the Kemetic N00b  (Read 3376 times)
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 27, 2008, 12:58:16 am »

Right now I'm reading "Offering to Isis" by M Isadora Forrest.  I'm really liking it.  Having shrines and making offerings feels like the right thing for me to be doing right now. 

Now, I do love Isis and all but then there's the rest of the pantheon. I was going to try to adapt the rituals in this book for other Netjeru, but perhaps another author has saved me the trouble (?)

Any help would be appreciated.  I don't see myself as going orthodox or being a very strict reconstructionist.  I do want some kind of regular practice that has some historical basis. Something I can learn by heart, get comfortable with, and slowly make my own. 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: March 27, 2008, 09:32:30 am »

Did you look at the Kemetic Recon page here:

http://www.ecauldron.com/reconegypt.php

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: March 27, 2008, 03:22:19 pm »

Any help would be appreciated.  I don't see myself as going orthodox or being a very strict reconstructionist.  I do want some kind of regular practice that has some historical basis. Something I can learn by heart, get comfortable with, and slowly make my own.

I don't know of any books on the subject.

However, the standard basic offering liturgy (used by both Kemetic organisations and the Church of the Eternal Source) is based in the Pyramid Texts, verse, uh.  Utterance 269.  Various other texts from those are used by various organisations; I can throw more things out for you to look at.  (Honestly, I want to get a copy of the Pyramid Texts to see what sorts of liturgies I can find in there myself, though I'll probably stick with 269 for general use.)

Standard procedure would be to have a ritual bath or at lesat washing-up (I generally shower), and offer fire, incense, and libations of cool water.  Plus whatever other offerings one might make.

Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 29, 2008, 02:28:26 pm »

I don't know of any books on the subject.

However, the standard basic offering liturgy (used by both Kemetic organisations and the Church of the Eternal Source) is based in the Pyramid Texts, verse, uh.  Utterance 269.  Various other texts from those are used by various organisations; I can throw more things out for you to look at.  (Honestly, I want to get a copy of the Pyramid Texts to see what sorts of liturgies I can find in there myself, though I'll probably stick with 269 for general use.)

Standard procedure would be to have a ritual bath or at lesat washing-up (I generally shower), and offer fire, incense, and libations of cool water.  Plus whatever other offerings one might make.

Thank you Smiley
alexbettencourt
Apprentice
Last Login:June 19, 2008, 11:12:09 am

Religion: Out-there pagan, member of Asphodel.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 31, 2008, 05:00:38 pm »

Check out Daily Life of the Egyptian Gods by Dimitri Meeks and Christine Favard-Meeks. It's probably one of the best books describing Egyptian deities and associated ritual and history.

"We cannot long for something that is not intimately close to us." J. Neuner
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 31, 2008, 10:13:17 pm »

Right now I'm reading "Offering to Isis" by M Isadora Forrest.  I'm really liking it.  Having shrines and making offerings feels like the right thing for me to be doing right now. 

Now, I do love Isis and all but then there's the rest of the pantheon. I was going to try to adapt the rituals in this book for other Netjeru, but perhaps another author has saved me the trouble (?)

If we're talking about Isis and not Aset....

Have you read:
Isis Magic by M. Isidora Forrest or Mysteries of Isis by deTraci Regula?  The first one is heavily ritualized and Hermetic in nature while the second one is very kitchen witch like as far as ritual goes. 

Have you also read Reed's Circle of Isis?  It has some Tamaren Wiccan rituals in there. 

Darkhawk answered the traditional format of ritual for Kemetics. 

There is also Eye of the Sun by Kerry Wisner.  It's Kemetic though and may be too Recon for you? 
The rituals here can be adapted to any Netjer, but for the book it focuses on Hethert. 

There is also Tamara Siuda's book The Ancient Egyptian Prayerbook which has a ritual there for any Netjer.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 10:16:01 pm by SatAset, Reason: added last book » Logged

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 09, 2008, 02:20:53 am »

Have you read:
Isis Magic by M. Isidora Forrest or Mysteries of Isis by deTraci Regula?  The first one is heavily ritualized and Hermetic in nature while the second one is very kitchen witch like as far as ritual goes. 

I would like to point out that these authors and Ellen Cannon Reed are not Kemetic Recons.  They are influenced by Hermetic Magic or Neo-Wicca or Traditional Wicca. 

Offerings to Isis is a good book and she does take from some Kemetic sources, but I don't think her approach is Kemetic Recon. 

YMMV.

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)