The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 09, 2020, 05:19:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 09, 2020, 05:19:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Morrighan--again  (Read 15728 times)
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #30: May 07, 2008, 11:49:49 am »

Poking. Constant poking.

I don't work with TM, but I get the poking alot. Especially in my ribs, and back when they want my attention.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: May 07, 2008, 04:33:08 pm »

I don't work with TM, but I get the poking alot. Especially in my ribs, and back when they want my attention.

Have I mentioned how Arianrhod likes to whack me in the back of the head? Sometimes, I swear she hurls chunks of her castle at me.  Undecided
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: May 07, 2008, 04:41:36 pm »

Have I mentioned how Arianrhod likes to whack me in the back of the head? Sometimes, I swear she hurls chunks of her castle at me.  Undecided

I get "tingles" in a ribbon I wear for TM.

I also feel her seeing things through me sometimes, and my vision changes, as my eyes are able to focus differently somehow?

I just feel a "pushiness" from Brighid however  Cheesy.

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Dalaigh Eoghan
Journeyman
Last Login:December 12, 2008, 10:24:39 am

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #33: November 11, 2008, 12:20:42 pm »

After I began to think Druidry/Celtic Recon. would be the best path for me, Morrigan has started to speak to me more and more every day... Crows are common around here but being partially deaf, these crows were speaking LOUD, and when I say it's loud... it's loud. LOL!

This morning was the best, by far. The crows were in a tree and speaking and when I spotted them, both of them moved to the tree in front of the place that I was going to get to work. It's like they were making sure my path was safe for me to travel.

Just my experience with the Morrigan, so far...
Féileacán
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 09:52:57 pm

Religion: Irish Celtic Witch

The Dragon Faery has a new form and a new name.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: January 01, 2010, 04:12:20 pm »

So should I be worried about all the crows I keep seeing?

As a devotee of the Morrigue, I usually take seeing large amounts of crows as her poking me about something important. The last time it happened was when I met the man who plans to become my husband. We were walking around the park and a large flock of crows, I'm guessing at least twenty birds total, was following us around. As we are both of Celtic background, we both took it to mean something big was going to happen.
UlsterYank
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2013, 02:18:03 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Traidisiúnachais Gaelach, Witchcraft, Thelema
TCN ID: UlsterYank

Déan mar is Toil leat, a bheas mar iomlán an Dlí

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #35: January 02, 2010, 09:34:48 am »

I want to explore Tm in Her other aspects.  I know about Her Warrior, Battle Goddess side, but I would like to explore Her soverignty, sexuality (labeled as "fertility" lol), and any other aspects.  I'm in search of websites because I am strapped right now, but book suggestions are always welcome.

Her "war goddess" role was a later one assigned to her in the legends, but a designation that has always been there for any tutelary deity, since Irish paganism was tribal, and conquests for land were common. The Lebor Gabála Érenn was a completely Christian creation, as is the Tuatha Dé Dannan, so some the roles of deities in the legends need to be taken with a grain of salt(just a tad, and only with certain ones, because our oral tradition is important)
An Mhór-Ríoghain has alternative names with many other High tutelary Goddesses, and her Land Goddess aspects are still alive with the associations of her with the land in lore, like the two hills by Newgrange bearing her name (dá chích na Morrígna) and the term for her hearth, fulacht na Mór Ríoghna. The Lore of Ireland: An Encyclopaedia of Myth, Legend and Romanceby Dáithí Ó hÓgáin is a good book to become more familiar with those associations. Maybe a little pricey, but well worth it. In fact I've referenced it so many times, I might just go ahead and type out the whole passage on her one day if I'm bored.  Grin

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9
Malkin
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:53:38 pm

Religion: BTW

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: January 02, 2010, 05:49:01 pm »

I want to explore Tm in Her other aspects.  I know about Her Warrior, Battle Goddess side, but I would like to explore Her soverignty, sexuality (labeled as "fertility" lol), and any other aspects.  I'm in search of websites because I am strapped right now, but book suggestions are always welcome.

This link talks a whole lot about her aspect as a goddess of Sovereignty, and a little about a possible "fertility" (haha) aspect. Little in that article is set in stone or anything, but the author explores some interesting possibilities. (She even suggests that Morrigan might be identifiable with Danu herself - that sounds pretty iffy to me, but as I said, she's exploring stuff.)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 10:12:01 pm by RandallS, Reason: HTML link changed to BBcode Link » Logged

Thessaly: It's time to draw down the moon.
Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Thessaly: Did she answer you?
Foxglove: Well, it felt good at the time. Empowering.
Thessaly: Hmph.
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #37: January 02, 2010, 05:52:26 pm »

This link talks a whole lot about her aspect as a goddess of Sovereignty, and a little about a possible "fertility" (haha) aspect. Little in that article is set in stone or anything, but the author explores some interesting possibilities. (She even suggests that Morrigan might be identifiable with Danu herself - that sounds pretty iffy to me, but as I said, she's exploring stuff.)

May I ask why you put fertility in quotes?

I've heard the Morrigan/Danu equation before; I don't hold to it personally, but it's not new.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #38: January 02, 2010, 06:12:20 pm »

I've heard the Morrigan/Danu equation before; I don't hold to it personally, but it's not new.

Danu and the Morrigan both seem to be associated with a wide range of other goddesses.  F'ex, in addition to seeing them equated with each other, I've also read that each is actually Brighid, and that each is actually Brighid's mother.  Cheesy

Just goes to remind us about the limitations of the existing Celtic lore and the likelihood of poetic license taken by those early Irish monks who tried to record the stories before they were lost to time.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Malkin
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: January 02, 2010, 06:23:35 pm »

May I ask why you put fertility in quotes?

I put fertility in quotes partly because the OP did, and partly because I'm skeptical of the idea that the Morrigan has a fertility aspect. Don't get me wrong, the author I linked to had a compelling argument. It's just a bias of mine. I admit the Danu equation was one I hadn't heard elsewhere - ignorance on my part.

Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Malkin
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: January 02, 2010, 06:28:15 pm »

Her "war goddess" role was a later one assigned to her in the legends ... The Lebor Gabála Érenn was a completely Christian creation, as is the Tuatha Dé Dannan ...

Would you be willing to explain these particular statements further?

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #41: January 02, 2010, 06:33:31 pm »

I put fertility in quotes partly because the OP did, and partly because I'm skeptical of the idea that the Morrigan has a fertility aspect. Don't get me wrong, the author I linked to had a compelling argument. It's just a bias of mine. I admit the Danu equation was one I hadn't heard elsewhere - ignorance on my part.

I haven't read the linked article, so forgive me if I'm redundant, but if you accept that tM is involved in sovereignty, then it would follow that she is involved with fertility as well, if only the fertility of the land. The two are inextricably entwined in Celtic lore. (That is to say- to be involved with fertility is not necessarily to be involved with sovereignty, but to be involved with sovereignty is inherently to be involved with fertility.)

And as Moon Ivy said, Danu, tM, and Brighid tend to get equated with everyone. I personally put it largely (but not entirely) to Christian influence.

Malkin
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: January 02, 2010, 08:05:42 pm »

I haven't read the linked article, so forgive me if I'm redundant, but if you accept that tM is involved in sovereignty, then it would follow that she is involved with fertility as well, if only the fertility of the land. The two are inextricably entwined in Celtic lore. (That is to say- to be involved with fertility is not necessarily to be involved with sovereignty, but to be involved with sovereignty is inherently to be involved with fertility.)

That's a very good point. Thank you.

UlsterYank
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2013, 02:18:03 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Traidisiúnachais Gaelach, Witchcraft, Thelema
TCN ID: UlsterYank

Déan mar is Toil leat, a bheas mar iomlán an Dlí

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #43: January 03, 2010, 05:15:10 am »

Would you be willing to explain these particular statements further?
Of course. First of all the "Celtic pantheon" doesn't exist like everyone seems to think it does. The "Tuatha Dé Dannan" is a Christian literacy creation coined by the monks who wrote the Book of Invasions, that's chalk full of Christian historiography&symbolism, and isn't a pre-Christian oral tale. Ireland's native paganism was tribal, and older designations of deities were simply known as Tuatha Dé, but Tuatha Dé Dannan is a Christian creation that contains regional deities from tuatha that were frequently at war with each other, all functioning in unison with certain roles like a pantheon similar to the Greeks, which Ireland didn't have, as mentioned it's paganism was tribal with no codified "state religion" or pantheon.
An Mhór-Ríoghain is a lot more than the simple "war goddess" she is known for. The label itself is a later classical imposition to the legends&lore, which possibly could of stemmed from her association of foretelling the death of kings. She was a tutelary sovereign Goddess,(hence my pointing out the association with her and the land above) and Goddesses of that role provided fertility to the land, and aided their tuatha in battle.

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #44: January 03, 2010, 12:57:48 pm »

Of course. First of all the "Celtic pantheon" doesn't exist like everyone seems to think it does.

I can't speak for "everyone" in general, but I think the majority of TC members who have any interest in the Celts recognize that their pantheons are not equatable with, say, the Greek pantheon.

The "Tuatha Dé Dannan" is a Christian literacy creation coined by the monks who wrote the Book of Invasions, that's chalk full of Christian historiography&symbolism, and isn't a pre-Christian oral tale.

Do you have any proof that nothing of the Book of Invasions predates Christianity? It's well known by Celtic scholars that the Book of Invasions was compiled after Christian conversion and by Christian monks; that Christian symbolism and history altered to reflect the Bible's teachings would appear is unsurprising and well acknowledged. That doesn't, however, mean that the essence of the myths could not have been passed down orally; the Celts were well known as a people with a prodigious memory.

An Mhór-Ríoghain is a lot more than the simple "war goddess" she is known for. The label itself is a later classical imposition to the legends&lore, which possibly could of stemmed from her association of foretelling the death of kings. She was a tutelary sovereign Goddess,(hence my pointing out the association with her and the land above) and Goddesses of that role provided fertility to the land, and aided their tuatha in battle.

I concur that tM is much more than a simple war goddess, but her involvement in battle does imply an association; I don't think that the label is inherently inappropriate for her simply because it was later watered down to the only label.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)