The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 26, 2021, 01:46:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 26, 2021, 01:46:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone know how to throw a baby shower? (Help!)  (Read 6432 times)
Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 30, 2007, 09:39:38 pm »

My best friend is expecting her first baby in September. Yay!

I've offered to give her a a baby shower, but I have no idea what to do at one.  I've only been to one before, and it was absolutely awful. A lot of soccer-mom types were clustering around the mom-to-be, making the all the women with no children feel like they couldn't possibly have anything to contribute to the conversation, since we haven't had their mystical transformative experience and all. I remember making a bitchy comment afterwards that producing offspring wasn't anything a goat can't do. (Where's that devil smiley when you need it?)

Anyway, I would really like to make this shower fun for everyone, including my best friend. I know she doesn't want a bunch of humiliating games involving measuring her tummy, but she wouldn't mind games that aren't stupid. Does anyone have any ideas?  I was thinking of asking everyone to come with a funny story about one of their own childhood misadventures, which would keep with the 'baby' theme without excluding anyone. Other than that, I'm drawing a complete blank.

What the hell do people do at baby showers?  Help!

Thanks.

Betty  Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm
United States United States

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: March 30, 2007, 10:28:51 pm »

I've offered to give her a a baby shower, but I have no idea what to do at one. 

Thanks.

Betty  Smiley

I'm not really sure, having never had nor been to one myself. However, my best guess would be to play silly games like "pin the diaper on the baby" (much like "pin the tail on the donkey" but with a baby picture and diaper-shaped cutouts to pin up) or "name the baby" (where each participant picks the most outrageous and/or funny names for the baby), have gifts for baby and mom, and have cake and just sit and talk.

Well, that's what I would do anyhow.  Grin

I remember making a bitchy comment afterwards that producing offspring wasn't anything a goat can't do.

I lurve it!  It puts me in mind of one of my favourite quotes: "Hell, even a log lies down when ya tell it to!"  Wink

Best of luck with the baby shower and best wishes to your friend for a continued healthy pregnancy and for a healthy baby, too. Smiley

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 31, 2007, 01:17:50 am »

I've offered to give her a a baby shower, but I have no idea what to do at one.  I've only been to one before, and it was absolutely awful. A lot of soccer-mom types were clustering around the mom-to-be, making the all the women with no children feel like they couldn't possibly have anything to contribute to the conversation, since we haven't had their mystical transformative experience and all. I remember making a bitchy comment afterwards that producing offspring wasn't anything a goat can't do. (Where's that devil smiley when you need it?)

Anyway, I would really like to make this shower fun for everyone, including my best friend. I know she doesn't want a bunch of humiliating games involving measuring her tummy, but she wouldn't mind games that aren't stupid. Does anyone have any ideas?  I was thinking of asking everyone to come with a funny story about one of their own childhood misadventures, which would keep with the 'baby' theme without excluding anyone. Other than that, I'm drawing a complete blank.

Thanks.

Betty  Smiley

I've been to a lot of baby showers- I have, um...8 cousins? I think it's 8...

A few have done the "guess how big around mom's tummy is with yarn" game, and that went over well- usually better if there are kids, they have fun with that. Telling stories about your childhood, putting out slips of paper for funny name suggestions...I think one of my favorites was putting up a clothes-line by the mom-to-be, and all the clothes she opened got hung, and all the rest of the gifts got displayed on a table under it. It was nice.

Brunch seems to go over well- having fruit and light snacks. One time we did a special table of foods that the mom had been craving throughout the pregnancy, which was amusing. I think my favorite gift from a baby shower was a decorated, overturned wine glass- there's a little ceramic baby boy with a teddy bear inside the glass, done like a snow globe, and lots of ribbons and such. Pretty simple and cheap to make.

A lot also depends on where you have it- at someone's home, at a rented hall, etc. Make sure there's someone who can collect wrapping paper as it's discarded, and someone with a notepad to write down who gave what (cards always get mixed up, with my family at least).

If there's anything in particular that I haven't messaged, feel free to ask!

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: March 31, 2007, 02:38:02 pm »

There are tons of websites with baby shower game ideas on them.  Just google "baby shower games" and you'll have more ideas than you know what to do with.  Some favorites in my crowd:

Guess the number of jelly beans (or M&Ms) in the baby bottle

Baby shower bingo: each guest gets a card -- you can find them online (sometimes they say "STORK" instead of "BINGO") -- that have squares with typical shower gifts; as the mom-to-be opens gifts, you cross off what it is on your card; first person to get a vertical or horizontal or diagonal line crossed off wins

Baby word scramble -- there are several versions online; they all have to do with pregnancy or child rearing

"What am I" -- when they come in, each guest gets a piece of paper taped to their back.  The paper has a word on it that has something to do with kids (like the word scramble).  They have to circulate through the other guests, and can ask each other guest 3 yes or no questions to try to figure out what their word is.  First one to figure it out wins.  This is a good ice breaker, especially if you have guests from different areas of the mom's life, who don't know each other

Diaper pins (my fave) -- when they come in, each guest gets a diaper pin to wear.  They are told they are not allowed to say the word "baby".  If you catch someone saying "baby", you get to take their pin, and any other pins they might have collected by catching other people.  The person with the most pins at the end of the party wins.

For prizes, we usually use small plants like african violets or primroses.  These can double as centerpieces on the tables.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: March 31, 2007, 04:18:36 pm »

"What am I" -- when they come in, each guest gets a piece of paper taped to their back.  The paper has a word on it that has something to do with kids (like the word scramble).  They have to circulate through the other guests, and can ask each other guest 3 yes or no questions to try to figure out what their word is.  First one to figure it out wins.  This is a good ice breaker, especially if you have guests from different areas of the mom's life, who don't know each other

Oh, and another variation on this one is "Who am I" -- famous mothers from history and/or mythology.  The mom-to-be is always "Mommy Dearest"   Wink

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: March 31, 2007, 05:36:17 pm »

What do the people who are going to be at this shower like to do at gatherings?  If you know that (or know it about a majority), then go with it, and the heck with what anyone else might do at a baby shower.

Me, I get the sugar-shock creeps from some of the oh-so-twee shower games (Juni's and Moon Ivy's were okay, though seeing that many all in a row was a bit much).  Apparently for some folks, though it just isn't a "real" shower without every minute filled with organized gooey-preciousness (that goes for wedding showers, too, possibly explaining the rise in popularity of the "stagette").  If you don't know enough about what these folks like, I'd suggest striking a balance between the two extremes.  If the lovers of twee don't like it, well, they can do it their way when they're the ones planning it.

I'm not an authority on the conventional way to do these things; I come from a family in which "shower" means "at this family get-together, gifts are given to a) prospective or new parents, or b) a bride-and-groom-to-be".

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 31, 2007, 06:21:02 pm »

Thanks.

Betty  Smiley

Honestly, from my memory of my baby shower, it is a lot of food, and a lot of gals getting together sort of hazing the mom to be with stories about labor, early baby days, showering her with attention for what will probably be the last time before her kid starts college.  The prevailing theme, is that we all survived it, you will too.  There is a sisterhood and a camaraderie because this is for the most part, the most formal welcome to being a mom you will get from your sister-moms. 

Because of the nature of the event, you could avoid the games all together, order a pizza and put on a tape of "Baby Story" (a Lifetime Channel TV show that a lot of preggos watch religiously, all about the labor and birth experience, with a brief overview of the couple and the pregnancy) and everyone would have a good time comparing their experiences to the gal on the screen.

Don't worry about making it fun for everyone.  It's a baby shower.  It's not the super bowl.  Worry about making your friend feel that this is her special moment being celebrated by her sisters before she goes through a life change.  Probably the last party she will go to for the next year.  She wont be comfortable the whole time.  There are times where the intimacy of a room full of people celebrating the productivity of your sexuality to be a bit too intimate.  Regardless of how well celebrated the event, or close the friends.  There are moments where people who haven't gone through it are going to think it's stupid.  Everyone having the respect for the nature of the event, and making a commitment to how special the moment is to her,  is a big part of what makes it fun instead of stupid. 

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Elisabette
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 01, 2007, 05:19:12 pm »

Thanks, everyone. "Organization" is not my middle name, but I already feel a lot less overwhelmed.

Most of the people who will be at the shower are pretty low key, and would enjoy just relaxing and hanging out, so I'll probably only plan a few games and leave most of the day open. The mum-to-be likes games, but is the antithesis of ooky-pooky cutesy.  I really like the "Who am I" and "What am I?" ideas, and the clothesline display idea for gifts.  Pin-the-diaper-on-the-baby would probably go over well, too. I'll definitely try a google search for game ideas, too. And there will be lots of snacks.

If the weather is nice, the shower will be in the mum-to-be's backyard, so I think I'll buy a bunch of brightly coloured straw sunhats for everyone to wear and keep. (Everyone has more fun when they're wearing a special hat  Grin)

Betty  Smiley

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: April 01, 2007, 05:29:00 pm »

You're gonna be fine.

I didn't say this in my earlier post because I was focusing on games.  But showers (at least in my crowd) are really just an excuse to get together and have fun, eat, and give presents to the mom-to-be.  The rest is just gravy.  It's just like any other party you'd throw -- but with a theme.  And less alcohol. Cool

We use the games to fill in the empty spaces and sort of segue between things.  (The baby gift bingo game is particularly good for moving the party into the gift opening phase.)  If things are rowdy and going well, we don't use them at all.  The games aren't the REASON for the party, they're just sort of fun filler or ice breakers.

Oh, and they don't have to be cutesy.  The competition in that diaper pin game gets really brutal.   Wink

The hats sound like a blast.  Have fun!

Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 01, 2007, 05:33:35 pm »

>>And less alcohol.<<

But SOMEONE has to give the mom-to-be "BM in a diaper."

Bloody Mary mix, a mini bottle of vodka, and a tiny bottle of Tabasco sauce. In a diaper (cloth or disposable doesn't matter). It's a MUST. :-)

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 01, 2007, 05:48:03 pm »

I like to make candles for special events.  Maybe you could have a candle-making party.  Some of the candles could be burned during your friend's labor.  You could also create a sentimental talisman bag for her to wear while she's in labor.  The party attendees could contribute tiny objects meaningful to them (stones, feathers, whatever).

A friend of mine bought a dozen pairs of baby socks that the shower attendees painted with fabric paints.  They turned out very cute and were a welcome gift to the new mom.

Personally, I like to give new moms something just for them.  Baby showers create a glut of baby items and very little for the mom herself.  At the shower where we made the socks, my gift was a CD of "indie lullabies" and a gift card to Bath & Body Works.

Brina
Elisabette
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 01, 2007, 05:52:26 pm »

>>And less alcohol.<<

But SOMEONE has to give the mom-to-be "BM in a diaper."

Bloody Mary mix, a mini bottle of vodka, and a tiny bottle of Tabasco sauce. In a diaper (cloth or disposable doesn't matter). It's a MUST. :-)

rotflmao

Oh, gods. She'd kill me. I might just do it anyway, though.  Cheesy

Betty  Smiley
ShadowcatCM
Adept Member
Last Login:July 16, 2009, 05:14:58 pm

Religion: witchy Pagan - quite eclectic

Every action, even inaction, affects someone.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 01, 2007, 05:53:59 pm »

Thanks.

Betty  Smiley

Hm. The last baby shower I went to was my cousin's a year or two ago. It was a pretty big party, but it was at her mother's house, so things were kinda, I dunno, homey and nice. The big things were the food, the gab, and the presents. Wink Heck, the partygoers basically ate all my homemade candies before the party was over! I had to promise my other cousin that I'd make more for her future baby shower. Ha-ha.

There were some games, yeah. Let me think - there was a word scramble game - a list of words related to babies were scrambled and everyone had to figure it out in less than 15 minutes. Just little words like diaper spelled priade, etc. The winner got some kind of prize, I forgot what it was.

There was also a game in which cans of baby food were passed around with the labels hidden and you had to figure out what flavor it was. The winner was the one that got the most correct.

There were others, but I can't remember them. It was mostly the talking and eating that went on, as well as the presents (there were a lot of presents!).

Shadowcat

Shadowcat Cloudmoon
Chat Host at The Cauldron
Elisabette
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 01, 2007, 06:04:11 pm »

I like to make candles for special events.  Maybe you could have a candle-making party.  Some of the candles could be burned during your friend's labor.  You could also create a sentimental talisman bag for her to wear while she's in labor.  The party attendees could contribute tiny objects meaningful to them (stones, feathers, whatever).

Brina

That's a great idea!  I think the guests would be really into it, too. I love the idea of having everyone make something special for the mum-to-be. Beeswax sheets would probably be the easiest for candle-making at an outdoor party.

I'm planning to make her a talisman bag for her labour, but I'm going to give it to her privately.  I've been drying hyacinth flowers to put in it, and I'm going to use the fabric scrap I put out for Brighid's blessing at Imbolc to make the bag.

Betty  Smiley
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #14: April 04, 2007, 10:11:48 am »

While we're on the subject of baby showers, I have a question for y'all.  Have you ever heard of throwing a shower after the baby's born?  I mean, assuming that there's no pressing reason to wait, just doing it then so that everyone can pass the baby around and coo over it and stuff.

Word through the grapevine is that this is what my aunts want to do for me.  I...  feel like I can't object because it seems terribly mercenary and ungrateful to be all, "But...  um, I kinda was hoping to have those shower gifts to help me get ready for baby being here, so that we wouldn't have to buy so much stuff ourselves, which I thought was half the point, the other half being advice and stuff," but it does strike me as really odd.  (I mean, why not just throw a regular old party, no gifts expected/required, everyone invited and not just the usual girls-only thing, to celebrate the baby's birth and show her off?)  I was just curious as to whether this is some common practice that I hadn't heard about, or whether my family really is just being...  odd.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)