The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 24, 2021, 06:52:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2021, 06:52:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hestia and Vesta Resources  (Read 3806 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: April 03, 2008, 06:37:59 pm »

I'm hoping some of the Greek and Roman recon types can help me.

I'm looking for good (i.e., academically trustworthy) resources about Hestia and Vesta.  I'm particularly interested in comparing how they were worshipped to what we know about how Brighid and Sulis were worshipped.

No, I'm not going to argue that they're ALL the same goddess.  However, there are some really interesting parallels in their worship that intrigue me.  I'd like to know more.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 03, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

I'm looking for good (i.e., academically trustworthy) resources about Hestia and Vesta.  I'm particularly interested in comparing how they were worshipped to what we know about how Brighid and Sulis were worshipped.

No, I'm not going to argue that they're ALL the same goddess.  However, there are some really interesting parallels in their worship that intrigue me.  I'd like to know more.

For starters, there is Theoi.com's Entry on Her

You could also find a little bit on her in Walter Burkert's Greek Religion and Carl Kerenyi's The Gods of the Greeks.

I don't know of any comparisons between her and Brighid and Sulis.

As another bit of information, the cults of Hestia and Vesta were a bit different.  Vesta's cult was more in the public whereas Hestia was worshiped primarily in the home.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: April 03, 2008, 07:18:48 pm »

As another bit of information, the cults of Hestia and Vesta were a bit different.  Vesta's cult was more in the public whereas Hestia was worshiped primarily in the home.

Thanks for the references.  I'll look into them.

I thought the two cults were at least somewhat different, but wasn't sure.  There are elements of each, I believe, that share similarities with some of the worship of Brighid and Sulis.  For example, the perpetual flame and the 19 female attendants.  That's what I'm interested in learning more about.  I'm curious about why those similarities existed.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 03, 2008, 08:12:12 pm »

There is a ton of Roman stuff on UNRV. Specifically: Vestal Virgins.

Hope that helps. I am a member of UNRV and they try to make sure that all articles posted are scholarly.

fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 04, 2008, 01:46:42 pm »

Have you ever seen the book Devoted To You: Honoring Deity In Wiccan Practice (title is misleading, the book isn't actually about Wicca...dumb publishers...)? Judy Harrow's name is on the cover, but it was a collaboration of four different authors. (great book by the way, I highly recommend)

Anyway, Alexei Kodratiev wrote a large chunk about Brigid, but as part of that section of the book, he also wrote a decent bit about Hestia, and Vesta (mostly about Vesta).

Probably nothing that you won't find anywhere else, but it's a really good book overall.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: April 04, 2008, 01:49:34 pm »

Devoted To You: Honoring Deity In Wiccan Practice

Yes, I have that book, and am very familiar with the Brighid section.  I didn't think to look in it for Hestia or Vesta.

Duh.  Embarrassed

Thanks!

sashapablo
Board Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:January 19, 2012, 05:37:09 pm

Religion: Hellenic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: April 09, 2008, 06:00:57 pm »

There's not really a lot out there on Hestia. I suggest the Homeric Hymns for a primary source, and probably Burkert has some stuff on her in Greek Religion. Hestia is less anthropomorphic than the rest of the Greek gods. She didn't have a cult in the way other deities did, but she was very important, nonetheless.

Vesta fulfilled similar functions in Roman society that Hestia did in Greek, but the worship of her was much different. Lefkowitz & Fant have a small section on Vesta in their book, Women's life in Greece and Rome: A Source Book in Translation. IIRC (it's been a few years since I read it), there is also some information in Sarah Pomeroy's Goddesses, Whores, Wives, and Slaves: Women in Classical Antiquity.

Sasha
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: April 09, 2008, 06:34:56 pm »

Thanks!  These are going on my Amazon list.

sashapablo
Board Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:January 19, 2012, 05:37:09 pm

Religion: Hellenic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: May 12, 2008, 11:59:09 am »

Thanks!  These are going on my Amazon list.

Moon Ivy,

I came across a reference to a book recently and thought of you:

Rome's Vestal Virgins: A Study of Rome's Vestal Priestesses in the Late Republic and Early Empire, by Robin Wildfang

BMCR has a review: http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/2007/2007-10-12.html

Sasha
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: May 12, 2008, 07:30:29 pm »

Moon Ivy,

I came across a reference to a book recently and thought of you:

Rome's Vestal Virgins: A Study of Rome's Vestal Priestesses in the Late Republic and Early Empire, by Robin Wildfang

BMCR has a review: http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/2007/2007-10-12.html

Sasha

Thanks, Sasha!  I'll try to hunt this down.

Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 16, 2010, 04:49:28 am »

I'm just bumping this thread because I am madly looking everywhere for in depth information on Hestia. Books, journals websites anything.

Cheers

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)