The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 30, 2020, 08:37:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 30, 2020, 08:37:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: I was recently at my friendly local library...  (Read 11709 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #15: April 08, 2008, 06:00:47 am »

Manly Wade Wellman. ALL of the "Silver John" books. Set in Appalachia, short reads, engaging characters, interesting folk magic. LOVE them. (Again, old, but that's no reason not to have them.)

They can be difficult to find, though, as I understand it.  Dad's been looking for a copy of one of them (not sure which one off the top of my head) for ages and ages without real success.  (He almost had it through a local bookstore, but then Borders moved in almost literally next door and the local place shut down before his order was completed.  Really pissed him off; to this day he won't go into Borders.)  Maybe a library would have an easier time finding it, though, I don't know.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:May 26, 2020, 06:18:11 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: April 08, 2008, 09:04:33 am »

They can be difficult to find, though, as I understand it.

Someone really should reprint them.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
serpentrose
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 19, 2011, 05:51:20 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Serpent Caller

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: April 08, 2008, 02:00:08 pm »

All opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I'm fond of Robert Sawyer, the first contact scene in "Calculating God" is a classic.

Other than that most of the SF I read is older stuff. Due, in no small part, to the fact that much of it is snagged from my father's collection.

I will agree with whoever it was that said George R.R. Martin writes good stuff.

And for fantasy there's nothing better, imho, than Terry Pratchett's Discworld books.

Give from the heart
Own your decisions
Defy false desires
Deserve your own love
Embrace what is different
Seek what is true
Serve from the heart, or serve not at all
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: April 08, 2008, 03:52:41 pm »

I'll second the votes for Cherryh, Bujold, Weber and Lackey.

S.M. Stirling, Island in the Sea of Time and sequels.
John Ringo, There Will Be Dragons series.

up-and-comer: Naomi Novak, Temeraire series.

Classics: Wyndham. Doc Smith (if you can find any  Sad ). Moorcock. Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Foreign work: Haruki Murakami of Japan. Writes very dense and literary, like Heinlein crossed with Life of Pi. Personally I like something lighter, but she's very popular across the Big Pond.
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #19: April 08, 2008, 06:31:03 pm »

Eric Flint.  He's running a series that's half sci-fi and half historical fic.

David Eddings.

And then there's the well-known stuff like Pratchett, Adams, Clarke, Gaiman...

Dan Simmons' Hyperion Quartet.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: April 09, 2008, 12:52:30 pm »

First I'd like to thank everybody so far; there's a few individual responses I'll make in separate posts, but this is to the thread at large.

See, we actually have a pretty good sci-fi collection, no doubt thanks to my associate and his love of the genre. Smiley We have most of the big names, like RAH and Asimov and Cherryh and Pratchett and Adams and Anthony and Lackey and Gaiman and McCaffery (I should hope so, it'd be pretty pathetic if we didn't), etc., as well as a fair few mid-listers like Brin and Sawyer.  Which is why I'm to the point where I'm a bit outta my depth. 

I've thought before about what I would do if it were mine to remake, but some of my ideas aren't terribly practical.  I would really love it if he could get Asimov's and Realms of Fantasy and some other sci-fi and fantasy magazines, but somebody else is in charge of mags, and they're in another section of the library, so I don't know that he'd be allowed to.  Same w/comics; somebody else's bailiwick, and another section anyway.  I can imagine a really wonderful set up, but again, there's limits to what he'll be permitted to do.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: April 09, 2008, 12:57:38 pm »

Random list of people I like to read:

<snip list for space>

Actually, we have all that, I'm afraid.  Thanks for the suggestions, though. Smiley

Warriors of the Sun God.  absolutely brilliant.  *runs very fast*

LOL, I actually thought of that when he first said something about it. Cheesy  But seeing as it's not in print form,  it's probably not something to go on the list.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: April 09, 2008, 01:00:33 pm »

What about some of the stuff that Douglas Clegg has written recently.  Some of his books may be in your friend's horror section but recently he has taken to writing fantasy.  I'm thinking of hiss Vampyricon and Mordred: Bastard Son in particular.  Both are historic dark fantasy.

Excellent, I didn't even know he did fantasy. *adds to list*

George R. R. Martin's books are very good, but I'm not sure if they're hugely popular.

Have 'em. Smiley  And I don't think they really circulate terribly well, though you also have to realize I'm basing this statement on what I remember from a paging job I haven't had in approaching 2 years.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: April 09, 2008, 01:06:18 pm »

For urban fantasy: anything by Emma Bull. (Her recent _Territory_ is Tombstone-based, but several of her other books are classic urban fantasy). Also Charles de Lint.

We've got a couple Emma Bull, but could always do w/more.  Charles de Lint we've got lots of, but not a complete collection. 

Neil Gaiman.

Guy Gavriel Kay, especially his most recent _Ysabel_, which is urban fantasy. (No vampires. Ancient mythological figures, yes, but not vampires.)

Lois McMaster Bujold - start with the Cordelia duology and the first few Miles books for SF, or on the fantasy side, with Curse of Chalion.

Have 'em.

For non-Western Europe based stuff, I've heard fantastic things about the Inspector Chen novels by Liz Williams. Also, I understand Barry Hughart's _Bridge of Birds_ is in print again, or will be, and it's *fabulous*.  (This one's historical fantasy, set in China.)

Sweet! *adds to list*

On either a fantasy or alternate history take, Jo Walton is a longtime friend of mine online (and in person, when I get to see her!): She has a set of 4 books (one out of print) that are sorta-Arthurian, but not really, one that is a manners novel with dragons (Tooth and Claw) and a three-book alternate post WWII history thing (collectively called the Small Change trilogy: Farthing, Ha'Penny, and Half a Crown - the last one is coming out in September.)

Other friends - Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear are also up and coming in the field. In general, getting at least the Hugo and Nebula nominees for each year is probably not a bad bet.

Y'know, I've never seen Jo Walton or Sarah Monette, and I don't remember seeing Elizabeth Bear.  More for the list! Cool

Finally, I'm sure he knows this one, but the Fiction-L listserv lists are often a great place to start. http://www.webrary.org/rs/flbklistgenre.html has the genre ones: there's a bunch of SF and F specific ones, and the title suggestions come from other librarians, and are usually things that are either circulating well or are just fabulous.

Oh, thank you!  That may be very helpful.  Even if he already knows about it, I'll enjoy it. Smiley

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 09, 2008, 01:08:44 pm »

I'll add John Ringo and Tom Kratman for military SF.  You can look at the Flint and Ringo books in their entirity on Baen's Free Library website.  Other Baen authors mostly have the third of each book on-line. 
We've got a fair few of those, but I think he's starting to loathe them. Cheesy

Baen also offers it's Jim Baen's Universe for free to librarys.  I don't know the details.

That's very good to know, I shall have to tell  him about that; thank you. Smiley

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: April 09, 2008, 01:13:42 pm »

up-and-comer: Naomi Novak, Temeraire series.

Never heard of her. *adds to list*

Classics: Wyndham. Doc Smith (if you can find any  Sad ). Moorcock. Edgar Rice Burroughs.

It's always the finding it that's a PITA. 

Foreign work: Haruki Murakami of Japan. Writes very dense and literary, like Heinlein crossed with Life of Pi. Personally I like something lighter, but she's very popular across the Big Pond.

I didn't even think about the fact you lived in Japan for awhile!  Anyone else you can think of who's been translated over here?

While I'm thinking about that:  HEY BEACHGLASS!  Anything cool outta s. Korea on that front?

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: April 09, 2008, 01:15:25 pm »

Actually, we have all that, I'm afraid.  Thanks for the suggestions, though. Smiley

LOL, I actually thought of that when he first said something about it. Cheesy  But seeing as it's not in print form,  it's probably not something to go on the list.

Whatcha mean?  I got copies right behind me .. I can send you one ... Cheesy  *keeps on running* Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: April 09, 2008, 02:08:19 pm »

I didn't even think about the fact you lived in Japan for awhile!  Anyone else you can think of who's been translated over here?

Most of the Japanese work I know is comics ... which, even if it counts, I believe a library should have the whole set, which can get pricey. I'll look into it.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 16, 2020, 07:39:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: April 09, 2008, 10:01:04 pm »

and I don't remember seeing Elizabeth Bear.  More for the list! Cool
You'll want to check out Bear's stuff yourself, once they get it in, I'm thinking - her SF at any rate.  It's top-notch, and I think it'll be your cuppa.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: April 10, 2008, 12:42:12 pm »

You'll want to check out Bear's stuff yourself, once they get it in, I'm thinking - her SF at any rate.  It's top-notch, and I think it'll be your cuppa.

Yeah, I've been peripherally aware of her for awhile, but it's so easy to lose track of people one intends to read when the list is so damn long, y'know. Cheesy  Especially w/mid-listers, for some reason.  People who're still kinda in the genre ghetto like Karrin Lowachee (whose work I adore, btw, if you ever get a chance and think your tastes are similar enough to mine) and Bruce Balfour are easier to remember, somehow.

Which really is primarily what I was wanting; mid-listers I may be unaware of and gems in the SFF ghetto. Smiley

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)