The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 28, 2020, 08:07:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2020, 08:07:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: I was recently at my friendly local library...  (Read 11371 times)
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm
United States United States

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: April 10, 2008, 12:44:49 pm »

Whatcha mean?  I got copies right behind me .. I can send you one ... Cheesy  *keeps on running* Cheesy

Heh! Cheesy

In all seriousness, I can point him in the direction of your site; I don't know whether it would be his style or not, but hey, can't hurt.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #31: April 10, 2008, 01:09:02 pm »

Heh! Cheesy

In all seriousness, I can point him in the direction of your site; I don't know whether it would be his style or not, but hey, can't hurt.

I'd love that.  and I'd be QUITE happy to send a free copy to his library if he'd stick it on the shelf. Smiley

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: April 11, 2008, 12:10:29 pm »

I'd love that.  and I'd be QUITE happy to send a free copy to his library if he'd stick it on the shelf. Smiley

I'll totally let him know; if he decides he wants a copy (because it still would take some money out of his budget, since it costs money to process it) should he just email you through your website?

It occurs to me, actually, that if you can find some library-working acquaintances in college towns (which mine kinda is, so no worries there), and HS libraries, who're allowed to pick out stuff, that would be the best place to send free copies.  Get 'em while they're young enough and they'll be loyal readers forever. Cheesy

~~~Pyperlie<^>

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #33: April 11, 2008, 12:12:41 pm »

I'll totally let him know; if he decides he wants a copy (because it still would take some money out of his budget, since it costs money to process it) should he just email you through your website?

It occurs to me, actually, that if you can find some library-working acquaintances in college towns (which mine kinda is, so no worries there), and HS libraries, who're allowed to pick out stuff, that would be the best place to send free copies.  Get 'em while they're young enough and they'll be loyal readers forever. Cheesy

ah, don't email through my website right now.  I can't get at it.  argh.  if he's interested, PM me with where to send it. Smiley

And that's not a bad idea ... muahahahahahaha .....

Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: April 11, 2008, 12:19:49 pm »

Most of the Japanese work I know is comics ... which, even if it counts, I believe a library should have the whole set, which can get pricey.

Actually, whoever buys the comics has really gone the extra mile to get manga that's appropriate for teenagers (they started out as part of the YA section before we got so many they had to be moved into a place of their own), and to get complete sets.  But they also get most things at a 40%+ discount because they're a library, so that probably helps.

I'll look into it.

Thank you. Smiley

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: April 11, 2008, 12:29:00 pm »

ah, don't email through my website right now.  I can't get at it.  argh.  if he's interested, PM me with where to send it. Smiley

Can do. Smiley

And that's not a bad idea ... muahahahahahaha .....

Well, god knows it worked on me. Cheesy  Elementary age is a bit too young, but middle and high school are, IMO, the best times to hook a kid on fantasy or sci-fi.  In 30 years today's kids could be in bidding wars over first editions of your stuff. Cheesy

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #36: April 11, 2008, 01:33:38 pm »

Well, god knows it worked on me. Cheesy  Elementary age is a bit too young, but middle and high school are, IMO, the best times to hook a kid on fantasy or sci-fi.  In 30 years today's kids could be in bidding wars over first editions of your stuff. Cheesy

*sigh*

Why did I have to write adult books?  Oh, wait, it's because I hate kids and love sex, violence and cuss words Grin

Still, tapping into the YA market doesn't seem like a bad idea from the POV of someone who (shamelessly) likes money.

Just thinking out loud, we now take you back on topic.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: April 11, 2008, 02:49:06 pm »

Actually, whoever buys the comics has really gone the extra mile to get manga that's appropriate for teenagers

Dang, now I wish I had your library. Ours has about 1 volume each (usually volume 2 or 3 Huh)of a bunch of second-tier titles, most from the same publisher. It looks like someone just said "oh, we should get manga" and ordered one each from "this month's new releases". Makes me wonder if *someone* also didn't realize that manga comes in volumes, not in series like novels. That kind of clueless would not surprise me.
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: April 11, 2008, 06:57:20 pm »

Still, tapping into the YA market doesn't seem like a bad idea from the POV of someone who (shamelessly) likes money.

Until the book tour comes along, or the local schools/library calls and wants [given author] to present a program (a paying gig, natch) to real live kids.  I wonder how attractive the money will look then...  Wink

I help schedule similar programs as part of my job, and I can tell you how badly things go for the kid-haters who attempt to wring a few extra bucks and book sales out of their audience.  Kids know, believe me (and so do their angry parents).

Brina
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #39: April 11, 2008, 07:11:12 pm »

Until the book tour comes along, or the local schools/library calls and wants [given author] to present a program (a paying gig, natch) to real live kids.  I wonder how attractive the money will look then...  Wink

I help schedule similar programs as part of my job, and I can tell you how badly things go for the kid-haters who attempt to wring a few extra bucks and book sales out of their audience.  Kids know, believe me (and so do their angry parents).

Brina

Lucky for me I like the little monsters. Cheesy

I'm actually writing a novel that looks like it might fall into the YA category.

.... paid gigs? Cheesy

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #40: April 11, 2008, 07:27:58 pm »

Damn, and I'm such a bad actor that I could never pull it off.  Oh well, I'll just stick to my Plan A to get rich (ie, publish something that would piss off the RR).

That reminds me, I have to get back to it one of these days.

My Spiritual Blog
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #41: April 12, 2008, 11:27:44 am »

I just remembered that Stephen King wrote some fantasy as well.  Try his Dark Tower series (which is a blend between fantasy, scifi, horror, and some western) and the two books he co-wrote with Peter Straub, The Talisman and Black House (both dark fantasy).

My Spiritual Blog
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: April 13, 2008, 01:12:17 pm »

Why did I have to write adult books?  Oh, wait, it's because I hate kids and love sex, violence and cuss words Grin

Do you actively hate them on general principle, or just not really want to be around them?  Because I may say I hate kids, but it's more that I don't really want to be around them much.  I didn't really like them even when I was one, at least in part because, much as adults idealize childhood, a lot of them are real little bastards (those 6 girls and their 2 male accomplices who beat the shit out of 1 girl for mouthing off on myspace being a prime example, Bill Maher's attitude on it notwithstanding).  And just like everything, there are a (admittedly scant) handful of exceptions to my general dislike of kids.

I don't know that it's necessarily always shameless money-lust; if I owned an SFF & comic bookstore you bet your ass I'd be doing my best to bring in the middle and high school age kids, partly to ensure some lifelong customers, but also for sheer love of the genre. Smiley  As well as for the sake of the few kids I do like.

I just remembered that Stephen King wrote some fantasy as well.  Try his Dark Tower series (which is a blend between fantasy, scifi, horror, and some western) and the two books he co-wrote with Peter Straub, The Talisman and Black House (both dark fantasy).

Don't worry, we have them all; if Stephen King was involved in it, we have it.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: April 13, 2008, 01:22:23 pm »

I know you can't name names, but how do people writing for adults try to wring a bit of extra bread outta kids?

And how can the kids tell said author isn't a big fan of them?  And why are parents pissed off about it?  I mean, a lot of people don't like kids, it's nothing personal (usually) against their little Johnny/Susie.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #44: April 13, 2008, 01:32:06 pm »

Do you actively hate them on general principle, or just not really want to be around them?  Because I may say I hate kids, but it's more that I don't really want to be around them much.  I didn't really like them even when I was one, at least in part because, much as adults idealize childhood, a lot of them are real little bastards (those 6 girls and their 2 male accomplices who beat the shit out of 1 girl for mouthing off on myspace being a prime example, Bill Maher's attitude on it notwithstanding).  And just like everything, there are a (admittedly scant) handful of exceptions to my general dislike of kids.

Let me put it this way:  As someone who values silence, I tend to don't like being around loud things.  And seeing as how no one teaches "children should be seen, not heard" anymore the little bastards tend to get on my nerves.  I even can't stand being around high school kids because they act like apes (didn't like them even when I was in high school).

I don't know that it's necessarily always shameless money-lust; if I owned an SFF & comic bookstore you bet your ass I'd be doing my best to bring in the middle and high school age kids, partly to ensure some lifelong customers, but also for sheer love of the genre. Smiley  As well as for the sake of the few kids I do like.

With me it is money lust.  Aside from selling books in a lucrative market, I could potentially earn life-long fans and sell more of my adult books.  Now that I think about it, that sword and sorcery I'm toying with could potentially fit into the high school crowed.  If I cut out some of the cussing and potential sex scenes than it could also be for middle schoolers.

Don't worry, we have them all; if Stephen King was involved in it, we have it.

Well I figured your friend would have some of his stuff.  He is one of the most popular writer of our time, after all.

My Spiritual Blog

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)