The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 15, 2020, 02:29:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 15, 2020, 02:29:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: I was recently at my friendly local library...  (Read 15524 times)
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm
United States United States

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #45: April 13, 2008, 03:28:45 pm »

Let me put it this way:  As someone who values silence, I tend to don't like being around loud things.  And seeing as how no one teaches "children should be seen, not heard" anymore the little bastards tend to get on my nerves.

Well, there's that, too.  One more shrieking child and I may need someone to bail me out of jail, because every time I get a tremendous urge to slap the little twit.

I like the relatively quiet, well-behaved, smart kids, but I just cannot deal w/the loud, stupid, and bratty ones.

With the exception of smart kids who are a little loud because they're excited (like smart kids w/ADHD who can't sit still or can't shut up), because I remember being unable to shut up when I was excited about something (people who know me IRL as an adult wouldn't believe me if I told them, but I was a chatterbox), so I understand what's going through their head.  Of course, I didn't shriek at decibels that would deafen a bat, either, so maybe that's the difference.  I didn't yell, I just talked a lot.  And I didn't tear everything around me all to hell.

I even can't stand being around high school kids because they act like apes (didn't like them even when I was in high school).

Well, nor did I, but a lot of them were creeps, too.  I don't get migraines or anything, but the loudness always bothered me. 

With me it is money lust.  Aside from selling books in a lucrative market, I could potentially earn life-long fans and sell more of my adult books.  Now that I think about it, that sword and sorcery I'm toying with could potentially fit into the high school crowed.  If I cut out some of the cussing and potential sex scenes than it could also be for middle schoolers.

You may do better to just make friends w/folks who do more youth-friendly stuff.  Then when they go to their favorite author's website and see a link to yours, they'll check it out. 

Well I figured your friend would have some of his stuff.  He is one of the most popular writer of our time, after all.

We also have pretty much everything by Dean Koontz, but that's not his fault; someone else orders for that section.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #46: April 13, 2008, 03:33:43 pm »

Dang, now I wish I had your library. Ours has about 1 volume each (usually volume 2 or 3 Huh)of a bunch of second-tier titles, most from the same publisher. It looks like someone just said "oh, we should get manga" and ordered one each from "this month's new releases". Makes me wonder if *someone* also didn't realize that manga comes in volumes, not in series like novels. That kind of clueless would not surprise me.

Well, I don't read the manga, so it may be all second-tier, but they do buy whole series.  I think my kinda-friend teams up w/the lady who orders a lot of the YA (he orders some of that, too, but SFF is his primary responsibility) to get the comics.

But we also get a ridiculous amount of theft in the comic section (someone stole the entire Sandman series and it took forever to get them in again), and I imagine your library does, too, so maybe they buy a whole series only to get them ripped off, and then refuse to buy it again.  I think once something has been stolen 2 or 3 times they just stop buying it.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #47: April 14, 2008, 03:23:14 pm »

Okay, y’all, here’s the list so far:

Jacqueline Lichtenberg, esp. the Sime/Gen books – http://www.simegen.com/

Lisanne Norman

Kobo Abe

Jayant Narlikar

Samit Basu

Ashok Banker

Ian McDonald

Spider Robinson

Iain Banks

Vera Nazarian

Bruce Balfour

Michael Cobley

Peter F. Hamilton

Michael Carroll (YA and SF)

Nick Sagan

Rhys Hughs

Kaaron Warren

Greg Egan

Mike McQuay

H. Beam Piper

Samuel R. Delaney

Vintage reprints

Shadow offers a free copy of her book: http://warriorsofthesungod.com/

Douglas Clegg’s fantasy

(If he’s involved w/the comics, Girl Genius)

Liz William’s “Inspector Chen” novels

Barry Hughart’s Bridge of Birds (will soon be in reprint)

Jo Walton

Sarah Monette

Elizabeth Bear

http://www.webrary.org/rs/flbklistgenre.html

Baen’s Universe magazine offers free subscriptions to libraries –  http://www.baens-universe.com/

Nalo Hopkinson

Manly Wade Wellman, esp. “Silver John” series

Naomi Novak, esp. Temeraire series

Haruki Murakami

E.E. “Doc” Smith

Sci-Fi and Fantasy mags, if permissible

Gary Gibson

Michael Scott Rohan

Round out James White’s Sector General series, and Elizabeth Moons’ Familias Regnant series

Tobias S. Buckell

Is there anything else anyone can think of?  Or is there anything on this list that probably shouldn’t be?

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #48: April 16, 2008, 12:06:18 pm »

Okay, y’all, here’s the list so far:

Jacqueline Lichtenberg, esp. the Sime/Gen books – http://www.simegen.com/

Just as a comment, my roomate in college was completely bonkers over the sime/gen series.  I;ve never read them.

You forgot david Brin in the list.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #49: April 16, 2008, 12:32:15 pm »

Just as a comment, my roomate in college was completely bonkers over the sime/gen series.  I;ve never read
them.

I've only ever read a couple of them (I got a couple at a library sale in Ohio, and then my uncle got me the first one, a '70's MMP original; did I mention he's one of my favorite uncles? Cheesy), but there's something about them that I really liked, and I would love to get to know them better.  So I'm hoping the library will buy them so I don't have to.  Grin

You forgot david Brin in the list.

We have quite literally every fiction book he's ever published, w/ the possible exception of The Life Eaters.  He doesn't really circulate well, but that could be because he's on the bottom shelf.

Personally, I have a hard time getting into his fiction.  I love his breadth of vision, but the execution is...I dunno, kinda weird.  Sundiver was just poorly done, IMO; I mean, what was the point to the dual personality in his ubermensch?  But I have a hard time getting into Asimov (I know, sacrilege, right? Cheesy) for the same reason; I love the sheer enormity of his vision, but I think it might've been better if he'd had someone to help him flesh out the details of the plots.  They're both, IMO, better universe builders than story tellers.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: April 16, 2008, 02:42:47 pm »

We have quite literally every fiction book he's ever published, w/ the possible exception of The Life Eaters.  He doesn't really circulate well, but that could be because he's on the bottom shelf.

Personally, I have a hard time getting into his fiction.  I love his breadth of vision, but the execution is...I dunno, kinda weird.  Sundiver was just poorly done, IMO; I mean, what was the point to the dual personality in his ubermensch?  But I have a hard time getting into Asimov (I know, sacrilege, right? Cheesy) for the same reason; I love the sheer enormity of his vision, but I think it might've been better if he'd had someone to help him flesh out the details of the plots.  They're both, IMO, better universe builders than story tellers.

Hubby and people like him will be happy.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Bree
Journeyman
Last Login:November 01, 2011, 07:45:11 pm

Religion: Irish Pagan - New to ADF
TCN ID: Bree

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #51: April 17, 2008, 09:16:37 pm »

Hubby and I really like Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series.

Juliet Marillier's Sevenwaters Trilogy is good, too. 

Oh, and he's telling me to add Raymond Fiest, his favorite author  Roll Eyes

Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: April 24, 2008, 12:29:20 pm »

First, I'd like to thank everyone who's made any suggestions up to this point. Smiley

I gave him the list thus far, and he says thank you Smiley and he'll look into them.  He's just started buying Jo Walton, btw, which I was unaware of, as well as the Inspector Chen novels.  He also will look at Shadow's site and get back to me.

He's still open to any suggestions, any additions to the list.  His main concern is that sci-fi in recent years "doesn't know where it's going," and he doesn't think rehashes of the same old story will be good for circulation or for hooking another generation.  Having talked to him about it again, I think he's looking for those hidden little gems on the cutting edge of the genre ghetto. Smiley

And thank you all again so far. Smiley

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Adele
Master Member
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 07:27:54 pm

Religion: Hellenic pagan

Image courtesy of iconomicon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #53: May 08, 2008, 03:19:22 pm »

He's still open to any suggestions, any additions to the list.  His main concern is that sci-fi in recent years "doesn't know where it's going," and he doesn't think rehashes of the same old story will be good for circulation or for hooking another generation.  Having talked to him about it again, I think he's looking for those hidden little gems on the cutting edge of the genre ghetto. Smiley

And thank you all again so far. Smiley

Sorry I'm jumping in so late, but maybe these could be a consideration for next time.

The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch (fantasy)

Scar Night - Alan Campbell (fantasy)

Kushiel's Dart - Jacqueline Carey (bit older fantasy, excellent trilogy)

For new Sci-Fi?  There's not much to suggest off the top of my head except maybe...

John Scalzi's "Old Man's War" (It's a trilogy) and his "The Android's Dream" (Humorous sci-fi)

Truly there just hasn't been tons of new Sci-fi space operas coming out recently.  Sad

"Say what you mean. Bear witness. Iterate."
       -John M. Ford, Making Light comment

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)