The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2019, 05:04:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2019, 05:04:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hellenism (Modern Day)  (Read 7106 times)
phoenix_goddess91
Apprentice
Last Login:May 09, 2008, 01:33:21 pm
United States United States

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 11, 2008, 12:44:56 pm »

I found this term on this website, and I looked into it. It sounds really interesting to learn about, but there isn't a lot of basic information on the Cauldron yet, and most people just refer you to the book Ancient Stones... about it. I, however, can't find this and I don't have the money or opportunity to order it online at the moment. Does anyone know a good website that just has general facts about it? Wikipedia isn't helping much on clearing it up at the moment either.

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower;
To hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
An eternity in an hour.

William Blake

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 11, 2008, 01:22:14 pm »

I found this term on this website, and I looked into it. It sounds really interesting to learn about, but there isn't a lot of basic information on the Cauldron yet, and most people just refer you to the book Ancient Stones... about it. I, however, can't find this and I don't have the money or opportunity to order it online at the moment. Does anyone know a good website that just has general facts about it? Wikipedia isn't helping much on clearing it up at the moment either.

I think Ancient Stones is out of print and iirc, it was difficult to find even when it was in print.  I think the author is now a born-again Christian and took down his website as well as letting the book go out of print.

You said that TC didn't have enough basic information?  Is this the page you looked at?

For more information, you can use the links on the above page.  I'll also throw in this site:

http://winterscapes.com/sannion

EDIT:

There is also our Hellenic Polytheism SIG

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?board=60.0
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 01:23:47 pm by Melamphoros, Reason: to add something » Logged

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
phoenix_goddess91
Apprentice
Last Login:May 09, 2008, 01:33:21 pm

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 11, 2008, 02:54:54 pm »

I think Ancient Stones is out of print and iirc, it was difficult to find even when it was in print.  I think the author is now a born-again Christian and took down his website as well as letting the book go out of print.

You said that TC didn't have enough basic information?  Is this the page you looked at?

For more information, you can use the links on the above page.  I'll also throw in this site:

http://winterscapes.com/sannion

EDIT:

There is also our Hellenic Polytheism SIG

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?board=60.0

Thank you! I hadn't found that page from TC - I think I stumbled somewhere else...or something...anyway, the websites really helped clear some stuff up for me. Thanks for the update - sucks that the book is out, though; it looked pretty good.

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower;
To hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
An eternity in an hour.

William Blake
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:Today at 11:13:29 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: April 11, 2008, 04:50:28 pm »

I found this term on this website, and I looked into it. It sounds really interesting to learn about, but there isn't a lot of basic information on the Cauldron yet, and most people just refer you to the book Ancient Stones... about it.

There is quiote a bit of what I consider "basic" info in the "Resources from Nomos Arkhaios" section near the bottom of the Greek/Hellenic Resconstructionist Paganism page. You can also find copies of all the primary sources listed there online.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: April 11, 2008, 06:25:28 pm »

If we're talking about Old Stones, New Temples here, my understanding is that Hellenion currently owns the copyright and has been planning a new edition, but that the whole project has kind of gotten bogged down.  There are others here (Lyric?) who would probably know more.

And yeah, it's damned near impossible to find at this point.  It's worth looking for, but be warned that you probably won't find it.  Sad

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: April 11, 2008, 06:31:09 pm »

If we're talking about Old Stones, New Temples here, my understanding is that Hellenion currently owns the copyright and has been planning a new edition, but that the whole project has kind of gotten bogged down.  There are others here (Lyric?) who would probably know more.

And yeah, it's damned near impossible to find at this point.  It's worth looking for, but be warned that you probably won't find it.  Sad

*smacks head*

Just goes to show how my brain is functioning these days Embarrassed

I probably wouldn't have figured it out if someone didn't point it out.  And Hellenion owns the copyright?  Didn't know that.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: April 11, 2008, 06:54:21 pm »

I probably wouldn't have figured it out if someone didn't point it out.  And Hellenion owns the copyright?  Didn't know that.

What I'd heard was that the author turned it over to them when he left.  That's secondhand info, as I've never been a part of Hellenion myself, but I seem to recall it coming from a source I trusted.  (Again, I want to say Lyric, here, but I'm not sure.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: April 11, 2008, 07:39:35 pm »

If we're talking about Old Stones, New Temples here, my understanding is that Hellenion currently owns the copyright and has been planning a new edition, but that the whole project has kind of gotten bogged down.

I don't see why they don't just give the current PDF version to new members -- and revise it at their leisure. But then, I've never understood how Hellenion does things.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: April 14, 2008, 04:44:48 pm »

What I'd heard was that the author turned it over to them when he left.  That's secondhand info, as I've never been a part of Hellenion myself, but I seem to recall it coming from a source I trusted.  (Again, I want to say Lyric, here, but I'm not sure.)

Yeah. It was me. Drew and I worked that out when he left Hellenion and I was still a member. They do own the copyright.

The problem is, yes, Hellenion owns the copyright, but there are issues with whether to rewrite the book or start new. There is a copy of OSNT available for Hellenion members, but the problem is it's locked down which makes making changes to it difficult. I just had an email exchange with the president of Hellenion and now that they know there's no way to unlock the .pdf file, I'm not sure what their next step will be.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: April 14, 2008, 04:45:36 pm »

I don't see why they don't just give the current PDF version to new members -- and revise it at their leisure. But then, I've never understood how Hellenion does things.

They do. I pushed it up into the files section a few years ago. The question of revision or writing a new book is something they're apparently dealing with now.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: April 14, 2008, 04:49:33 pm »

It's Old Stones New Temples. Smiley Or OSNT if you want to be fast. It is OOP, but there was never a standard print run on it. It was published by Xlibris who did the print on demand thing. AFA Drew's website goes, I think we managed to snag most of it before it went offline...he and I were working on that up to the end of his association with Hellenismos.

Also, he's Episcopalian. Not born-again (unless you mean he came to that religion late in life *g*)

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: April 14, 2008, 04:52:24 pm »

They do. I pushed it up into the files section a few years ago.

Good. I would hate to see all of Drew's work going to waste.

Randall
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: April 14, 2008, 04:54:20 pm »

AFA Drew's website goes, I think we managed to snag most of it before it went offline...he and I were working on that up to the end of his association with Hellenismos.

We got all he had -- I sucked down his web site with a "site snagger" program when he gave us permission to host the material here.

Randall
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: April 14, 2008, 04:54:59 pm »

Good. I would hate to see all of Drew's work going to waste.

Nope. It's up there. Like I told Zoe last week during our email exchange, in a way, I would like to see Drew's book left alone. It was, after all, the first book on Hellenismos that we have.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)