The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 28, 2022, 03:07:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2022, 03:07:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Half Moon - meaning, lore, ritual, magic?  (Read 14839 times)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 12, 2008, 12:23:08 pm »

Just wondering, is there any lore, ritual or magic associated with half moon?

I find this phase fascinating because it crosses and balances two different principles. It's a bit like Equinox, just with the moon.

What do you think and have heard/read about it? Do you practice any kind of half moon ritual or magic?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Chaotic Equilibrium
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 16, 2008, 07:18:42 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Discordianism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 12, 2008, 01:57:35 pm »

I find this phase fascinating because it crosses and balances two different principles. It's a bit like Equinox, just with the moon.

What do you think and have heard/read about it? Do you practice any kind of half moon ritual or magic?

Personally, not exactly. Though I do have an odd liking towards the moon. I often found myself talking directly towards it, as I went on walks with my dog during the winter months when it was dark out. I guess in a sense, there is something within that, I just generally found comfort within it and still do. Though towards no particular phase.

The Equinox as you say is also incredibly important to me. I also consider it the perfect point of time of a representation of harmony over the world, as night and day reach the same length in time. Again however, I don't exactly pay any specific ritual, though I generally don't perform rituals anyway... I just find myself taking some time to appreciate and acknowledge its event. As with the moon, I tend to watch the phases and pay some attention, though don't really perform any specific ritual or anything. More that I simply acknowledge that it is there, what it is and what is happening with it at that particular time.

As for through out other religious beliefs, the moon is often considered important within various beliefs. Some of which pay specific attention to each phase that it shares, so in that sense yes. However generally I believe there is more attention towards the full moon and new, rather than half.

I'd say, that if you feel it brings some kind of importance to your mind, to your belief. Then give it that appreciation, whatever feels right to you, in the end is that which is important. You could look into astronomy and other religious followings that take the stars and generally with that the moon and sun as well, directly into their practices and you may find specific things. However I'd simply say with such matter as that, do whatever feels right to you.

When one realises that the more we know about the universe;
The more confused we seem to be.
It's perhaps time that we consider the fact;
That the universe, is smarter than we are.
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 13, 2008, 04:20:08 am »

Not sure if my first post was clear. I mean the moon phase where light and dark are equal (like in my avatar).

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
ShadowHag
Last Login:April 21, 2008, 12:29:23 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 15, 2008, 03:52:48 am »

Not sure if my first post was clear. I mean the moon phase where light and dark are equal (like in my avatar).

Passionfruit (lovely name Smiley), I don't know about any specific lore attached to the quarters of the moon. What I do know that first quarter moon is the time when you could give extra boost to the magic you have started at the beginning of the waxing phase. Same with the third quarter, the time when the moon is waning. You could create your own personal half moon ritual. You could call it a "little nudge ritual" Wink.
When creating the ritual follow the rules of either waxing or waning moon. For instance (not to be too detailed) during waxing moon use white candles during waning moon black candles. Black candles are not only for hexing and cursing like many people would like you to believe but also for absorbing negativity. Anyway, follow your heart and tradition to create something like that.

I would love to hear about it from you. This sounds like a really interesting thing to do. Good luck and have fun! Kiss

Shadow Hag

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.