The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 08, 2021, 10:43:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 08, 2021, 10:43:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu?  (Read 3682 times)
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm
United States United States

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 13, 2008, 11:48:15 am »

I'm currently set up with Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon and I am really happy with it, but I am finding that I really need Windows for a few things. Particularly I need to do some courses online in order to be able to work on a summer internship I am interested in and they require Windows.

I'm pretty computer illiterate and I get pretty confused pretty easily when it comes to computers. All the instructions I can find on the web are for adding Ubuntu to Windows as opposed to the other way around and I don't think I'm really good enough at this to adapt them. Can anyone explain how I would dual boot this way around?

I seem to remember that Randall used to have some sort of link in his signature about something like this but it doesn't seem to be there any more.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 13, 2008, 12:38:05 pm »

I seem to remember that Randall used to have some sort of link in his signature about something like this but it doesn't seem to be there any more.

Kasmira, you're embarking on the journey I've wanted to go on for awhile.  As I haven't yet bought my ticket I can't offer a lot of useful info other than to say you have two options: 1) Dual boot Ubuntu and Windows or 2) run Windows in a virtual mode as Randall is doing. 

Dual booting will require you to select the operating system you want to work with when you turn the computer on.  Running Windows in a virtual mode on a primarily linux system will provide you the option to use either one as the specific need arises.

The link to Randalls Software Gadget Blog is in the menu on the left.  Reposted here for ease of clicking Wink

Here's a couple of other links Randall has posted over time re: his Ubuntu/WinXP system:

Playing with Ubuntu 7.10
Computer Desktop Show and Tell

And one from his blog:
"XPLinux” — Running Linux on Windows with VMWare and Xming

Other than that I'm not sure I can be of much help.  Running an Ubuntu/XP system (or maybe even Win98 w/ Win98Lite) is something that I really want to do but I need the system to do it first

Hope this helps out some.  I look forward to hearing about how this goes for you.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 13, 2008, 01:24:34 pm »

Kasmira, you're embarking on the journey I've wanted to go on for awhile.  As I haven't yet bought my ticket I can't offer a lot of useful info other than to say you have two options: 1) Dual boot Ubuntu and Windows or 2) run Windows in a virtual mode as Randall is doing. 

*snip*

Hope this helps out some.  I look forward to hearing about how this goes for you.

Ummm... OK *brain processes slowly*... when I say that I am computer illiterate I do rather mean it. I think I get what Randall is saying he has and it certainly looks like what I am looking for, however, I have no idea how to make my computer do that.

I noticed that in Randall's blog etc. he mentioned a few things that are necessary for his boot so here's some specs to see if my computer is compatible and to make sure that all of my stuff would work with that boot. I really don't have the money to buy extras for it.
Dell Inspiron 6400
Processor: Intel Core Duo T2350 (1.86GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)
Memory: 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM
Video Card: 256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory
Hard Drive:  Speed: 100GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Network Card and Modem: Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Sound: Integrated Audio
Wireless: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Internal Wireless

The only thing I have had any problems with on Ubuntu has been the sound which with a lot of fiddling I have managed to fix. I am rather afraid that I have fiddled so much using sudo in the shell that I have rather mucked up the functioning of Ubuntu. It now powers up rather oddly and I have to start x manually and there is no Shut Down icon so I have to shut down manually in the shell also. I think I should really clear off everything from my computer and start over (keeping the files I need safe on an external hard drive).

Yeah, so like I said I am rather computer illiterate, but I am getting better. That is another reason I am looking to start over as I think I have finally gotten to the point where I can work in the shell without destroying things right left and center and I would rather like to start anew with a system that does not have bomb craters scattered around for me to fall into.

I'll tell you how things go, Oak. Hopefully all will work well Smiley . I'm gonna look around the Ubuntu forums also, but most there seem to have a vendetta against Windows so it is a little hard to get a straight answer Smiley .

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: April 13, 2008, 01:52:33 pm »

I'm currently set up with Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon and I am really happy with it, but I am finding that I really need Windows for a few things. Particularly I need to do some courses online in order to be able to work on a summer internship I am interested in and they require Windows.

It's hard to add a Windows boot to another OS as Windows wants to be installed first and then have other OSes installed. (Note that it can be done the other way -- windows second -- but it is not easy and often requires payware boot managers to do it at all easily.)

If you don't need DirectX for your Windows software (and have at least a gig of ram), the easiest way to add Windows XP is to use Virtualbox to run XP in a virtual machine. Virtualbox is free and is the fastest affordable virtual machine I've seen.  I would use the commercial edition instead of the open source edition (both are free for personal use). I use this and can run about 95% of non-game windows software. I only have to boot into Windows for a few non-game things that I seldom use.

Virtualbox
http://www.virtualbox.org/

Installing Virtualbox and Windows in Ubuntu
http://www.blog.arun-prabha.com/2007/05/07/installing-virtualbox-and-windows-using-virtualbox-in-ubuntu/

Run Windows Apps Seamlessly Inside Linux
http://lifehacker.com/367714/run-windows-apps-seamlessly-inside-linux

Another way to run some Windows software in Linux is with Wine, but I'd say it only runs 30-40% of Windows software well enough to use in production (but will run some DirectX games).

That was a way to run linux inside XP, which would not help you much.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 13, 2008, 05:25:06 pm »

OK, I think I've got it. So the virtualbox thing will let me do a course whose system requirements are as follows?

1. Microsoft Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, or later
   2. Netscape 4.0+ or Internet Explorer 4.0+ (JavaScript Enabled)

And I can get this working by following the instructions in the third link? It seems to be the clearest to me.

Also, I would be willing to to completely wipe my computer and start again with installing XP then Ubuntu as my Ubuntu is probably going to need a wipe and reinstall some time soon anyway because I have mucked around a little too much with it and I am not computer savvy enough to fix all of my mistakes. Would this be an easier route?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #5: April 13, 2008, 05:55:37 pm »

OK, I think I've got it. So the virtualbox thing will let me do a course whose system requirements are as follows?

If XP is the Windows version you're installing, it should run your course software.  (It's later than 95/98/NT/2000, and IIRC the version of IE that it installs is 6.0.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: April 13, 2008, 06:08:23 pm »

It should, provided that none of the software you need to run requires DirectX (especially the direct3d part). I run all sorts of software including an older version of Photoshop (CS, I think), Word 2003, an old version of Mathematica, IE 7 (when forced), etc.

And I can get this working by following the instructions in the third link? It seems to be the clearest to me.

You should be able to. I forgot to mention that this requires a real copy of Windows. The "restore CDs" most manufacturers include will generally not work.

Also, I would be willing to to completely wipe my computer and start again with installing XP then Ubuntu as my Ubuntu is probably going to need a wipe and reinstall some time soon anyway because I have mucked around a little too much with it and I am not computer savvy enough to fix all of my mistakes. Would this be an easier route?

If you want to. Just set up Windows in whatever disk partition size you want (say 20 gigs -- more if you do games or video), then install Ubuntu in the remainder. You can set it up to boot directly into Ubuntu unless you tell it to use Windows at startup. If you go this route, I'd wait until the end of the month when Ubuntu 8.04 LTS will be out.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 13, 2008, 06:22:09 pm »

It should, provided that none of the software you need to run requires DirectX (especially the direct3d part). I run all sorts of software including an older version of Photoshop (CS, I think), Word 2003, an old version of Mathematica, IE 7 (when forced), etc.

I'm pretty sure that would be fine.

You should be able to. I forgot to mention that this requires a real copy of Windows. The "restore CDs" most manufacturers include will generally not work.

Oh... I just have what I got with the laptop. Is it expensive to get a real copy of Windows? Where does one do this?

If you want to. Just set up Windows in whatever disk partition size you want (say 20 gigs -- more if you do games or video), then install Ubuntu in the remainder. You can set it up to boot directly into Ubuntu unless you tell it to use Windows at startup. If you go this route, I'd wait until the end of the month when Ubuntu 8.04 LTS will be out.

Can this be done with the restore CD?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: April 13, 2008, 06:25:58 pm »

Oh... I just have what I got with the laptop. Is it expensive to get a real copy of Windows? Where does one do this?

XP is still on sale for a month or so. It's not cheap, but you might be able to get a student discount.  Of course, you can pick up a copy of W2K on ebay for next to nothing and it will work in virtualbox as well. 

Can this be done with the restore CD?

The reformat/reinstall can be, but it will usually suck up the entire drive. This means you will have to shrink the Windows partition down to size when you install Ubuntu. The Ubuntu CD installer can usually do this with no problem.

Randall
Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 13, 2008, 09:05:50 pm »

XP is still on sale for a month or so. It's not cheap, but you might be able to get a student discount.  Of course, you can pick up a copy of W2K on ebay for next to nothing and it will work in virtualbox as well.

Everything I am finding is over $100 and for XP Professional (what came with the computer and what I have the restore CDs for) it's going up into the $200/300 range. I just don't have that kind of money so... I looked at Win2000 on ebay and I'm finding stuff $50-$80 with an hour or so of bidding to go which is getting on for two weeks of food for me so... doesn't look likely either.

The reformat/reinstall can be, but it will usually suck up the entire drive. This means you will have to shrink the Windows partition down to size when you install Ubuntu. The Ubuntu CD installer can usually do this with no problem.

This looks like my probable route as a stingy college student... hopefully I will have time to actually do this soon.

Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 13, 2008, 11:28:16 pm »

This looks like my probable route as a stingy college student... hopefully I will have time to actually do this soon.

Try checking with local computer shops or magazines, heck, check the computer lab or the college computer club and see if there is a computer faire coming to your area in the near future.  You can often pickup software and hardware at a much reduced rate.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #11: April 14, 2008, 05:29:36 am »

You might check with your college IT department...  I don't know how many (or which) schools do this, but I know Indiana University has some sort of special deal with Microsoft that lets them sell/give copies of various MS products to students, faculty and staff for next to nothing.  I can't imagine it's only IU that does it (though, like I said, I don't know who else might).  Might not turn up anything, but it's worth checking.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)