The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 23, 2017, 02:22:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 02:22:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Weird Candle Burning Problems?  (Read 7281 times)
rudedog
Last Login:April 22, 2008, 12:40:43 am
United States United States

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 17, 2008, 07:07:48 pm »

For the longest time, I've felt someone had given me the evil eye to bring me harm, suffer, go through some bad times, etc.  I just couldn't catch a break.  So as a cashier for a grocery store, I would see some customers buying Reversing Candles and asked some questions about them. They said it works.  So here I am giving it a try.  I bought me an 8" tall reversing candle... it's 2" radius, but I thought the red was suppose to be on top and black on the bottom... oh well... this one is black on top and red on bottom. It has a picture of an eye surrounded by 2 broken arrows forming a square sitting on one of it's corners. 

I've read what I can about using these candles... So I held the candle... and thinking of all the bad things that has given me grief over the years and still today, lit the candle and still held that thought abit after lighting it... and thinking for the grief to go back to the sender (who ever it is).

The flame grew and shrank in a repeated manner and burnt out within 30 min of lighting it.  I made sure my cieling fan was off before I lit the candle.  So, after awhile I held the candle again and thought about retrieving my griefs back to sender once again and lit the candle. It stayed on with a normal flame until I went to bed.  The next day, I lit the candle with the same intentions and the flame was ok for a few min, then it got really tiny and has been tiny for the past 3 hours. It looks as if its about to go out.  All I can see is the hot cherry of the wick with a glimpse of flame surrounding it.

What does this flame mean?  Should I get another candle?  Is there some shananigans going on?  Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.  Thanx!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 04:13:23 pm by RandallS, Reason: Subject Changed » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 17, 2008, 07:13:01 pm »

What does this flame mean?  Should I get another candle?  Is there some shananigans going on?  Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.  Thanx!

It's probably just the candle.  Many candles of all types do that and I don't think that it would have any effect on your ritual.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 07:14:51 pm by Melamphoros, Reason: to finish a thought » Logged

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
rudedog
Last Login:April 22, 2008, 12:40:43 am

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 17, 2008, 07:24:11 pm »

I was thinking of that.  Generally the common grocery store and even the old stinky stores carry these and probably poorly made.... Will try another one and I'll try to stay away from Brand X.   Grin
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2017, 08:40:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: April 17, 2008, 09:16:23 pm »

Like Mel said, it's probably just the candle. Most are made so cheaply that a lot of them behave in very odd ways. My neighbors in San Antonio used to burn the religious candles common in supermarkets in areas with any sizable Hispanic population. They got one once that would get so dim they would think it went out only to see it flare back to life after 5 minutes or so. It was really weird to see, but it was probably just a bad wick.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 17, 2008, 09:36:31 pm »

Maybe try trimming the wick. If a wick is too fat at the top, it can make the flame either go out or burn too low.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
soulfire
Journeyman
Last Login:December 06, 2010, 02:51:14 pm

Religion: Practical Witch, Healer

Dance Anyway!

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 18, 2008, 12:04:03 pm »

I bought me an 8" tall reversing candle... it's 2" radius, but I thought the red was suppose to be on top and black on the bottom... oh well... this one is black on top and red on bottom. It has a picture of an eye surrounded by 2 broken arrows forming a square sitting on one of it's corners. 

You might consider dedicating your own candle to this end, instead of buying one.  That way the runes/symbols you use, etc are meaningful to you and may help you release the things that are worrying you.  Candle magic is not hard - I do it all the time and have found it is more powerful and effective with the things I make or do for myself.

**Please PRAY FOR ME.  I'm in the fight of my life right now. Thank you ~SF/K
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #6: April 18, 2008, 10:46:35 pm »

You might consider dedicating your own candle to this end, instead of buying one.  That way the runes/symbols you use, etc are meaningful to you and may help you release the things that are worrying you.  Candle magic is not hard - I do it all the time and have found it is more powerful and effective with the things I make or do for myself.

There is, however, a very large and legitimate school of thought that prefers to leave the preparation of magical items to professionals.  One buys the product and lights, disolves, wears, reads out, or otherwise activates it according to the instructions. 

In many cultures the person who prepares these things is a recognized expert and people who use the packaged magic don't find it lesser for not being 'home-made'.  From their perspective it is akin to buying a loaf of bread from a baker, or to having their brakes done by a proffessional rather than doing them themselves in the driveway.

A better product than they have the skills or inclination to produce, the security of knowing it was done by somebody who knows what they are doing.

And, as I said, a completely legitimate way to go about using magic.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
zyphre
Last Login:February 09, 2009, 08:56:44 am

Religion: Reclaiming and Feri

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 19, 2008, 07:11:10 pm »

I bought me an 8" tall reversing candle... it's 2" radius, but I thought the red was suppose to be on top and black on the bottom... oh well... this one is black on top and red on bottom. It has a picture of an eye surrounded by 2 broken arrows forming a square sitting on one of it's corners. 

The flame grew and shrank in a repeated manner and burnt out within 30 min of lighting it.  I made sure my cieling fan was off before I lit the candle.  So, after awhile I held the candle again and thought about retrieving my griefs back to sender once again and lit the candle. It stayed on with a normal flame until I went to bed.  The next day, I lit the candle with the same intentions and the flame was ok for a few min, then it got really tiny and has been tiny for the past 3 hours. It looks as if its about to go out.  All I can see is the hot cherry of the wick with a glimpse of flame surrounding it.

Hi, I'm not a big poster here, but I wanted to speak to the reversing candles.  Reversing candles come from folk magic, hoodoo specifically.

1) As part of preparing the candle, you are supposed to "reverse" the candle, burning the black side first.  Cat over at lucky mojo talks about it here: http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html#doubleaction

2) Divining from the candle's behavior is also part of hoodoo.  Cat also talks about how to read a candle that won't stay lit:  http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagicdivination.html#signsA6

In my magical practice, I look for signs in a candle.  Truthfully, this works better if you burn a lot of candles from the same manufacturer in the same place so you get a sense of how that candle normally behaves a baseline.  Once I have a sense of that, reading the signs in a candle is easier.  As others have said, it may simply be the candle itself.  You may want to start with a fresh candle and try it again (either the same brand or a different one).   

Before you do that, you may want to take a cleansing bath.  These kinds of baths are common in hoodoo (http://www.luckymojo.com/baths.html).  A very simple protective/uncrossing bath would be equal parts Epsom salt and table salt and then add some saltpeter (you don't need a lot).  All of which could be picked up at a local drug store (the saltpeter by be listed under its chemical name, potassium nitrate).  I'm not saying that I think you are being troubled magically.   I just think that cleansing work is really helpful regardless!  Good luck.
Mannun
Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 08:07:58 am

Religion: Wiccan

There is great Wisdom in Silence

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 21, 2008, 11:53:29 am »

A great book is The Candle Magick Workbook by Kala & Ketz Pajeon

www.witchsmark.com [Pagan Rock Band]

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)