The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 05, 2020, 06:15:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 06:15:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Current Religious Projects?  (Read 14861 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Topic Start: February 28, 2007, 03:17:47 pm »

I don't know if "projects" is really the word I want here...  I know that many people here actively work on their religious development, either through exploring ideas and beliefs or by doing research or by developing or integrating new practices.  Or of course, less comfortably, through grappling with difficult questions.  I thought it might be interesting to see what everyone's doing.  What issues are you confronting in your spiritual and/or religious journey?  What things are you working on or learning more about?

I'm...  kind of working on just maintaining right now.  Pregnancy turns out to be a mindfrag on multiple levels, and it's been difficult for me to even just keep going with the old routine, much less do anything new.  When I get to the point where I can move beyond that, I really need to do some exploration of how my religious views and beliefs relate to my current life situation (i.e. pregnancy and impending motherhood).  And of course just generally continue my exploration of all things Greek, since that seems to be the direction I'm being pulled.

I had been blogging my explorations (see "The Song and the Flame" link in my sig), but lately I've been uninspired to blog much of anything, so the entries have been few and far between.  (And watch out for early entries, which contain a lot of angst IIRC.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: February 28, 2007, 03:30:50 pm »

What issues are you confronting in your spiritual and/or religious journey?  What things are you working on or learning more about?

Right now, my biggest hurdle is feeling confident enough in myself to regularly contribute to FlameKeeping in the form of written material, art, etc. Much of the failure has been due to personal issues that have been keeping me down. But since those things have been pointed out to me by a friend, Things are looking up.

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: February 28, 2007, 03:48:27 pm »

What issues are you confronting in your spiritual and/or religious journey?  What things are you working on or learning more about?

Well, as always, I'm working on my blog.  Which is a constant.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to integrate magic and prayer into my religious system - where they go, if they go, that sort of thing.  It's a huge and complicated project.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: February 28, 2007, 07:09:46 pm »

Im tied up in ideas that feel right, but occasionally running into places where I end up going

Does this fit there? or there? or under that but over there?

and as soon as pI sort one out another one gets blogged.

**growls at shad** sometimes Mysteries are to darn mysterious.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: February 28, 2007, 07:54:39 pm »

Im tied up in ideas that feel right, but occasionally running into places where I end up going

Does this fit there? or there? or under that but over there?

and as soon as pI sort one out another one gets blogged.

**growls at shad** sometimes Mysteries are to darn mysterious.

I swear I'm not doing it on purpose!

and I'm really only one step ahead, if that.  I'm putting it together, but I don't know where it's going either. Smiley

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: March 01, 2007, 07:55:51 pm »

As I have been for a while now, I spend a lot of time tracking down, reading, and trying to internalize information about Brighid.  It's been interesting to see how the information I need at a particular time just seems to come to hand.  F'ex, I've been struggling lately with a strong feeling of need for a mother-type deity.  Just in the last few days, I've picked up two different books that discuss Brighid as a mother archetype -- which most of the material does not discuss.

I've also been working on expanding my focus a little beyond Brighid.  I'm starting with Rosmerta, who is a Celtic (specifically Gaulish) goddess of prosperity and abundance. 

I set up a new altar shelf, most of which is for Brighid, with some space for Rosmerta.  And I've been thinking about offerings -- what's appropriate, what feels right, etc.

One thing I'm having trouble with is trying to nail down how I feel about polytheism.  It seems like some days I'm a hard polytheist and other days a soft polytheist.  And other days agnostic.  It's confusing and uncomfortable. 

I'm also thinking a lot about symbols: what symbols trigger those warmfuzzy feelings.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
jazzie
Journeyman
Last Login:August 22, 2007, 01:44:23 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Eclectic

Yes, my dog DID grow into her ears!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 02, 2007, 08:36:34 am »

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to integrate magic and prayer into my religious system - where they go, if they go, that sort of thing.  It's a huge and complicated project.

That is just too weird. I just posted about prayer in another topic, and when I came to this one the thing that I'm working on is actually figuring this out - and then I read your post! Not so weird when you consider it's a new board and there really aren't all that many posts, but it's still kinda weird.

Anyway, even though I'm not actually a FlameKeeper (or Keeper of the Sacred Flame) Wink, the path that I have been exploring and expanding on actually "steals" quite a bit from FlameKeeping, the major idea being that of the Divine. I wasn't praying, because I couldn't quite figure out if praying would, you know, go with this sort of belief. I'm still trying to sort out what it is that I think about it, and how and if it fits, but while I'm figuring these things out, I'm going to pray anyway Smiley

Cat people are different, to the extent that they generally are not conformists. How could they be, with a cat running their lives? - Louis J Camuti

Cat: a pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs, and patronizes human beings - Oliver Herford
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: March 02, 2007, 09:15:56 am »

That is just too weird. I just posted about prayer in another topic, and when I came to this one the thing that I'm working on is actually figuring this out - and then I read your post! Not so weird when you consider it's a new board and there really aren't all that many posts, but it's still kinda weird.

Anyway, even though I'm not actually a FlameKeeper (or Keeper of the Sacred Flame) Wink, the path that I have been exploring and expanding on actually "steals" quite a bit from FlameKeeping, the major idea being that of the Divine. I wasn't praying, because I couldn't quite figure out if praying would, you know, go with this sort of belief. I'm still trying to sort out what it is that I think about it, and how and if it fits, but while I'm figuring these things out, I'm going to pray anyway Smiley

Well, that is part of why I posted the thread.  to get other people's ideas on the subject. Smiley

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 02, 2007, 08:43:32 pm »

Well, as I've "finished" the FAQ (I think FAQs are inherently unfinished, but...) I'm starting to work on actual practices. I've procrastinated a bit, trying to figure out which practices to start with (and then I got a much needed clue-by-four that hey, maybe the beginning might not be a bad place to start), but I'm finally sitting down and getting to work.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 02, 2007, 08:50:21 pm »

A lot of what I'm currently doing has to do with focus, and actually using what I've learned, instead of just storing it in the back of my head like trivia.  Most of my attention right now is wrapped up in finishing the project I'm doing at work, and finding a new job, but I'm going about it...differently than I have in the past.  I've always had a tendency to put my religion and/or magic on a shelf when I'm very busy and stressed, which it occurs to me now, really doesn't make any sense.

I've felt like I've been approaching an active growth stage for a while, but it's too early for me to tell exactly how it's going to happen.

Along more specific "project" lines, I've decided to learn tarot (again), after some experiences that made me very uneasy in the past.  I'm really looking forward to it; it will probably be a few weeks before I get my new deck.  This also ties into my current "focus" theme; I feel like I've spent a lot of time gathering information and impressions (which is something I needed to do) but now I want to do more, and choose a few things to explore in more depth. I'm not quite sure what yet, but it's coming.

Betty  Smiley

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 03, 2007, 10:40:04 am »

My biggest issue is work taking away time which I could be using for far more fulfilling pursuits. I'm working on a blog currently, which I'm filling with spiritual essays. Unfortunately thanks to work, I haven't had the time or inclination to keep up with it near as much as I had first planned.

Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 03, 2007, 04:27:16 pm »

I'm trying to learn more about Ancient Egypt and their ways of life. I have three decent books that I'm muddling through at the moment, and then I'm supposed to learn to read Heiroglyphs (::grumble:: deities and their demands  Tongue ).

I'm currently confronting the fact that I have almost no ability to be a good Kemetic, in that the desire is there, but I either forget or put off doing proper worship, and I tend to forget holy days. I need to just do it, just get going and properly serve the deities I adore, or else I will be faced with a very pissed Set and a dismayed Anpu. Not pretty, not wanted. I wish to keep them happy.
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 04, 2007, 06:46:30 pm »

I'm also working on a blog, The Barefoot Bard, that's in my profile, that lists my journey on my own path, the Path of the Poet.  It's a long process, but I'm getting there.

The biggest project that I am concerning myself with is a calendrical year of the holidays and rituals associated with the Path of the Poet.  Most of my practice is not based in ritual; heck, it's not based on practice much at all--it's still in the theory stage.  It needs to be brought out into the light of real action, and thus, making these rituals is my first step. 

It's based on the Celtic fire festivals, which makes some things easier, but it's still a bugger; I think I've been working on it for nearly two years now.  Has anyone else struggled to make theory into practice?  I know Juni and Shadow are in the same boat, as they are building their religions from theory up, but what about everyone else?  Is it easy to do ritual on a path that you're not in the process of making, or is it just as hard to move from theory to real practice?

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: March 04, 2007, 10:01:25 pm »

Has anyone else struggled to make theory into practice?  I know Juni and Shadow are in the same boat, as they are building their religions from theory up, but what about everyone else?  Is it easy to do ritual on a path that you're not in the process of making, or is it just as hard to move from theory to real practice?

Yes, I am, but not as coherently as Juni and Shadow. 

Actually, I think what I'm struggling with is putting the practice into theory.  I seem to have an innate understanding of what to *do* at least some of the time, but I don't always (usually?) know *why*.  This is translating to a LOT of reading.  I'm just starting The Religion of the Ancient Celts, J.A. MacCulloch.  It was written in 1911, which is giving me a different perspective.  I'm keeping the salt shaker handy, but finding it interesting.  So far.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 05, 2007, 12:10:22 am »

Yes, I am, but not as coherently as Juni and Shadow.

I'm doing this coherently? Tongue

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)