The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 29, 2020, 11:09:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 11:09:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Current Religious Projects?  (Read 14841 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: March 05, 2007, 01:52:43 am »

I'm doing this coherently? Tongue

Well, your FAQ is certainly more coherent than most of what goes on in my brain.   Tongue

Maybe you just *seem* coherent, but it's only a clever disguise.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 05, 2007, 12:30:16 pm »

Maybe you just *seem* coherent, but it's only a clever disguise.

I think that's probably closer to the truth! Tongue

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: March 05, 2007, 02:39:10 pm »

What issues are you confronting in your spiritual and/or religious journey?  What things are you working on or learning more about?

Projectwise, I'm still working on and off with trying to systematise Kemetic theology in a mostly non-denominational way (in practice, I suspect it willb e my denomination, which is currently me, but hey); this project has morphed in several places since I started it, and is currently at what I think is a workable level in current state of cope and sanity.

Personal-wise ... I'm currently going through a lot of work on integrating fragmentary bits of self (this was provoked by my Feri training, and I wound up picking up a book on shamanic soul retrieval in the Harnerian paradigm to supplement that) and doing a lot of wrestling with personal demons.  We shall see how that goes.

sashapablo
Board Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:January 19, 2012, 05:37:09 pm

Religion: Hellenic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: March 05, 2007, 03:31:41 pm »

I don't know if "projects" is really the word I want here...  I know that many people here actively work on their religious development, either through exploring ideas and beliefs or by doing research or by developing or integrating new practices.  Or of course, less comfortably, through grappling with difficult questions.  I thought it might be interesting to see what everyone's doing.  What issues are you confronting in your spiritual and/or religious journey?  What things are you working on or learning more about?

My current project really is a project in the craft-y sense of the word. I'm working on some pencil drawings of Aphrodite that I am going to frame and put up as part of my shrine to her.

Sasha
nfurman
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 01, 2010, 08:30:48 pm

Religion: Ifa, more or less

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: March 05, 2007, 09:51:40 pm »

Well , first, congratulations.  Take good care of yourself, and realize you are doing a huge and demanding job... not to worry if spiritual work snoozes for a while.  I did 4 !! and basically took a pretty long sabatical Smiley

Right now, having moved most of the munchkins into their own lives, I am trying to kick my rear into actually focusing on beginning my long contemplated project of re-interpreting the Ifa Odu into something resembling current European based concepts... cause they told me to.  But.. easier approached than accomplished.

Many blessings,
Nanette
MojoDiva
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 04, 2011, 10:00:19 am
Japan Japan

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: March 07, 2007, 12:44:27 am »

I purchased the Tanakh, (English translation, Jewish Publication Society, 1985, ISBN 0-8276-0252-9) last week and will be reading it throughout the year.
The Tanakh is Torah ('Instruction'), Nevi'im ('Prophets'), and Kethuvim ('Scriptures').

I am kinda excited right now, I hit Wikipedia to find the meanings for Torah, Nevi'im, and Kethuvim and found this study guide via one of their links:
http://skadish1.googlepages.com/guide

That's going to be helpful.
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #21: March 07, 2007, 07:35:07 am »

Right now I'm working on living more in my body than in my mind.

Spanish fluency has become a high priority, and with the new waitressing job - which I'm already contemplating quitting, (OVER SCHEDULED!!! I asked for 15-20hrs, not 30-35 hrs...) has me speaking it more regularly, and in a pressured situation.  Speaking it at the school is kind of a safe place.  You aren't going to mess up colors in a way that pisses someone off.  Food orders OTOH...

The job thing has also thrown the entire household balance out of whack.

Add to this the joy of repeated and direct confrontation with a forty something year old career waitress that hence forward shall be called bitchface, and I'm having a good old time lately.

We have been involved in multiple confrontations that have nearly become physical.  She apparently can't handle just talking, she's got to get up in your face and spit through her teeth.  I've stood my ground both times this has happened by my self control is cracking.  I'm quite literally one confrontation from knocking her cracked brown teeth out of her head.

The last time was when she *Shisshhh'd* me from four inches, spraying spit; when she tried to steal my section in front of a manager.  I refused, and forced the (weak) management) to put her feet back on the ground.

Which resulted in her in my face once again.

The mental drain of this has left me without much to offer, because shutting down the rage that would like to put my knees into her elbows and smear her nose off her face means everything else sort of shuts down along with.

The self control it's taking not to kill her, is leaving me fairly exhausted.

Deity?  My gods would support pounding her wholeheartedly.  Tonan don't take no crap, but unfortunately, the police would take issue, as would the management.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
MojoDiva
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 04, 2011, 10:00:19 am
Japan Japan

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: March 07, 2007, 05:49:37 pm »

Mandi, please PLEASE take your concerns to the management!

Sounds like that job is pure hell...I will be hoping you can find something else much better for your health!
Acacia
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 26, 2009, 04:57:52 pm

Religion: Canaanite Polytheist, Feri Student, Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: March 07, 2007, 06:40:27 pm »

I don't know if "projects" is really the word I want here...  I know that many people here actively work on their religious development, either through exploring ideas and beliefs or by doing research or by developing or integrating new practices.  Or of course, less comfortably, through grappling with difficult questions.  I thought it might be interesting to see what everyone's doing.  What issues are you confronting in your spiritual and/or religious journey?  What things are you working on or learning more about?

I actually do have a religious project I've been working on for awhile. I'd say I'm about a third of the way done, but because of another (more practical-more urgent) project I've been working on, the religious one was sidelined.

I'm actually working on a Book of Shadows for my Canaanite studies. It will be more of a place of reference and information that I will use to build my personal practice later on than my personal practice at the moment. One step at a time, you know?  Cool Astarte may be my girl, but Ba'al put me up to this one.

I'm also anxious to finish my ancestor shrine. Now that we have a house we actually have a guest bedroom. We've painted it and moved in my family heirloom furniture and now I'm anxious to get the shrine set up. I need picture frames, lots of picture frames...

Acacia
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #24: March 07, 2007, 06:46:49 pm »

Deity?  My gods would support pounding her wholeheartedly.  Tonan don't take no crap, but unfortunately, the police would take issue, as would the management.

I think those of us whose deities aren't exactly supporters of 'order' (as in 'law and...') have to flip that coin a lot.  No 'gods, give me patience!' for us, it's more like 'gods, shut up, it's not worth getting arrested for!'.  Now, if they would only promise protection from consequences in exchange for following their more 'direct' methods, it'd be a whole different story. Smiley

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: March 07, 2007, 08:04:52 pm »

I think those of us whose deities aren't exactly supporters of 'order' (as in 'law and...') have to flip that coin a lot.  No 'gods, give me patience!' for us, it's more like 'gods, shut up, it's not worth getting arrested for!'.  Now, if they would only promise protection from consequences in exchange for following their more 'direct' methods, it'd be a whole different story. Smiley
Ain't that the truth?

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Malkin
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:53:38 pm

Religion: BTW

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: March 08, 2007, 02:28:08 am »

Right now I feel as if I'm starting my spiritual journey all over again...dang, hasn't this happened enough times already?

I'm on the cusp of a BTW initiation. After having been of a Hellenic Neo-Wiccan bent for several years, I'm making a serious attempt to delve into Celtic mythology and history (which I know a lot less about than I thought), both because of a deity thwapping, and to see how it relates to the witchcraft traditions of the British Isles. And of course, in my newfound zest for authenticity, I am also researching the cunning craft (or "pre-Gardnerian") traditions. My relationships with my gods and my familiar spirit are shifting (for the better, I daresay), and I'm feeling a lot of anxiety about how my atheist boyfriend is going to respond to my coven work, and yeah. It's all shifting.

It's almost as if it's come full circle, though. My first, fluffy little Wicca book was DJ Conway's Celtic Magick. I took a long arc away from that "insert-culture-here" Wicca stuff, only to come back and learn that the ancient Celts never had a four-element system...I've been learning so much these past several months...

Thessaly: It's time to draw down the moon.
Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Thessaly: Did she answer you?
Foxglove: Well, it felt good at the time. Empowering.
Thessaly: Hmph.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: March 08, 2007, 07:18:21 am »

I thought I'd posted in this thread, but didn't see it in re-scan.

I"m working on learning Hebrew (again!).

Also trying to trace ancestors and cousins. Some interesting stuff, but so far most of the people who I'd want to meet are dead or so far out on the tree that meeting their important friends isn't going to happen.  I can't see asking to meet a friend of a second or third cousin of a cousin.

Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #28: March 08, 2007, 10:35:56 am »

I thought it might be interesting to see what everyone's doing.  What issues are you confronting in your spiritual and/or religious journey?  What things are you working on or learning more about?

My big thing right now is that I am enrolled in the Kemetic Orthodoxy beginner's class.

Learning about Kemeticism has been a little difficult for me because of my immersive learning style and my tendency to be easily distracted by shiny objects.  It's like trying to take a drink from a waterfall.  I need a nice, structured "begin here, go there, now this" method to get me started.  From there, I should have all of the tools I need to continue on myself in confidence.  Whether or not I'll choose to join the KO remains to be seen.  It could be a fun journey for a while, but we'll see.

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: March 11, 2007, 12:53:04 am »

What issues are you confronting in your spiritual and/or religious journey?  What things are you working on or learning more about?

Writing the myths for my gods is a big challenge. I just posted in the Least Favorite Myths topic how I'm struggling to do justice to a difficult, pivotal moment in the myth I'm tackling now. But its a creative challenge, not a spiritual one.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)