The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 05, 2020, 08:21:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2020, 08:21:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How do you feel after ritual?  (Read 12487 times)
AsetAmitAb
Apprentice
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 04:14:12 pm
United States United States

Religion: Stregha & Preistess of Isis

Not all who wander are lost.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 20, 2008, 09:55:44 am »

Many people have told me that after ritual you should feel energized and refreshed.  However, after ritual I always feel exhausted!  Is there a way you are "supposed" to feel after ritual?  How is it for you? 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #1: April 20, 2008, 10:54:42 am »

Many people have told me that after ritual you should feel energized and refreshed.  However, after ritual I always feel exhausted!  Is there a way you are "supposed" to feel after ritual?  How is it for you? 

After what kind of ritual?

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 20, 2008, 10:56:52 am »

I usually feel buzzed. If I do it at night, it can take quite a while to get to sleep afterwards. It depends on the nature of the ritual, of course, but for the most part I feel really good aterwards. If you are feeling exhuasted I wonder if you are grounding properly before and after. You might want to read the having trouble grounding thread, there are a lot of good suggestions there.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 20, 2008, 10:58:21 am »

There is no one way to feel. If you've put a lot of effort into your ritual, I would say that exhaustion is normal. If you've had a lot of energy buzzing around you during ritual, it would make sense that you felt drained of it afterwards.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
AsetAmitAb
Apprentice
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 04:14:12 pm

Religion: Stregha & Preistess of Isis

Not all who wander are lost.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 20, 2008, 11:20:18 am »

After what kind of ritual?

I've noticed that it doesn't really matter what type of ritual.  I'm just usually tired after rituals in general.

If you are feeling exhuasted I wonder if you are grounding properly before and after. You might want to read the having trouble grounding thread, there are a lot of good suggestions there.

That's the thread that actually prompted me to post this.  I know how to ground and when, have been doing it for a while.  But I was just curious if there were others who still feel tired afterwards regardless of grounding. 
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #5: April 20, 2008, 01:03:34 pm »

But I was just curious if there were others who still feel tired afterwards regardless of grounding.

For me it depends on the purpose of the ritual.  If it is celebratory and I am taking energy into myself then I don't wind up tired.  I try not to wind up too buzzed, but that's what I use grounding the excess for.

If it is a spell or a purposed ritual, then yes I am sometimes exhausted.  After all, there is only so much energy I can hold by myself, and if I am sending it out as a spell then I want to send as much as possible, simply for the sake of the spell working.  I try not to send the 'base' amount I carry around with me all the time, but it is not always easy to recognize that cut-off point.

Spells and purposed rituals are often concluded by me taking a 24-hour nap.  It's just the nature of the beast.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #6: April 20, 2008, 01:08:27 pm »

For me it depends on the purpose of the ritual.  If it is celebratory and I am taking energy into myself then I don't wind up tired.  I try not to wind up too buzzed, but that's what I use grounding the excess for.

That was the reason I asked the OP what kind of ritual.
I mean if I'm doing something, that is intended to power me up and after that I end up even more tired - that would be a problem. But if I'm doing a spell or send energy off to heal or something like this, I usually feel afterwards like after a work out in the gym. Tired but good.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 20, 2008, 01:17:42 pm »

Depends. Sometimes I feel absolutely exhausted, sometimes I am walking on air, sometimes it's a mix between the the two. It almost always feels good, though. Smiley

For example I just spent the entire morning doing a house cleaning, starting with physical (scrubbing floors, etc) and ending with smudging, chanting and some energy work. I'm very 'in tune' now and as something feels 'off' I fix it.

I'm exhausted, really. But it's like ahhhh...it's done, I feel good, the whole place feels good. It's lovely. Feels like a good day to play couch-potato. Wink

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 20, 2008, 03:24:04 pm »

Like other people said, it depends on the ritual.  Sometimes I feel "shiny" and energized, sometimes I feel calm, and sometimes I feel tired in a good way, like I did a good day's work.

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 20, 2008, 04:50:23 pm »

I've noticed that it doesn't really matter what type of ritual.  I'm just usually tired after rituals in general.

That's the thread that actually prompted me to post this.  I know how to ground and when, have been doing it for a while.  But I was just curious if there were others who still feel tired afterwards regardless of grounding. 

are you feeling tired out in a good, hard work that is now done kind of way? Or are you channeling or drawing down a lot? If you are doing a lot of that kind of work, you could really wear yourself out.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 20, 2008, 05:03:21 pm »

I know how to ground and when, have been doing it for a while.  But I was just curious if there were others who still feel tired afterwards regardless of grounding. 

Is it possible that you're grounding too much energy? Personally, I rarely ground (though I also don't do spellwork or anything similar) and it doesn't give me trouble.

Usually after a ritual I feel centered and alert, but very calm. If I don't, it's sometimes a sign that I wasn't mentally "in" the ritual; I've had this happen when I was worrying about the outcome of the ritual rather than the ritual itself.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 20, 2008, 05:56:58 pm »

It depends a lot on the ritual (and on how familiar I am with the techniques being used, or my role in the ritual.)

I find working with people I don't know very well particularly tiring.
Also rituals where there's a lot of very detail focused work - keeping close track of cues, other people's actions or comfort, etc. This makes sense: it takes a lot of personal energy to follow that kind of thing, and it's not easily recharged by group energy work. 

New techniques (and *especially* new ritual roles, like priestessing for a group for the first time) have tended to be both harder to ground from later (i.e. there is excess energy involved) but also far more tiring, once the grounding work is done. Ditto for what I call 'high expectation' rituals - in my path, that includes Samhain, initiations, etc. where there's a lot of expectations and hopes riding on things going smoothly.

The ones that tend to be highest energy for me involve group energy work (not just my own), and rituals where everything is going very smoothly and together

In my personal work, I tend to find meditation work and divination, and other self-focused work to be very relaxing. But I think it's important to differentiate between relaxing and tiring. Sometimes I've been running around so much in other ways that I get a chance to relax, and suddenly am tired. I don't do a lot of really extensive power-raising in my personal work, so I'm less inclined to get the energy high through that.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
PNorwood
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 16, 2008, 09:30:17 am

Religion: Pagan

carrying magick into the new mellenium

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 21, 2008, 10:06:51 am »

Normally I feel very good. I may feel a little tired if the rite has run long and it was with a group of people. solitary rites usually don't have that effect on me because I'm not having to barricade against others emotions. keeping personal shields strong in group situations sometimes takes a little more energy, and when that happens I end up re-grounding and centering and reinforcing my shields again, which I do before rites start and after they end because sometimes I run up against people who are unconscious psi-vamps in a group situation who have an awfully strong energy pull. if your are not grounded, centered and shielded going into a rite, solitary or group you can wind up with a huge energy drain.

healing, light and peace
White Raven
Mannun
Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 08:07:58 am

Religion: Wiccan

There is great Wisdom in Silence

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 21, 2008, 11:48:14 am »

I sometimes feel a little tired and sometimes I feel completely energized depending on the ritual and how much work was actually done if any. One thing I am after every circle no matter what is Hungry. It's like having the munchies or something... you can always find me after a good circle I'll be by the fridge.

www.witchsmark.com [Pagan Rock Band]
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 21, 2008, 12:02:46 pm »

if your are not grounded, centered and shielded going into a rite, solitary or group you can wind up with a huge energy drain.

Is the group work with people you know well, or open public rituals?

I certainly do some shielding when I'm in open public ritual, or at times when there are a lot of guests somewhere. But I'd frankly consider it an insult to my covenmates to deliberately shield in a small coven setting. (Where we're supposed to be on close terms, comfortable with each other, and familiar with how the other people work.) How can we do intimate magical work if we're consciously trying to keep each other out?

Also, when I'm working directly with specific deities, shielding seems rather rude (and if I'm doing aspecting/Drawing Down work, can seriously interfere with that experience going as smoothly and easily as possible.)

My personal shields are layered: the innermost layer before I let the whole thing down is explicitly designed for public ritual and other Pagan community settings where I want to be open, but also want a layer of protection (and really solidly defined boundaries) in case someone else gets grabby with my energy. It's a very passive layer, only triggered if someone starts directly interfering with me, but otherwise leaves me more open and able to sense the group energy, assist with keeping it moving, and be energetically open to the work we're doing together.

(I normally have a much stronger 'filter' layer up, as well, which helps me deal with working with many energetic and emotionally bouncy teenagers, but I don't like having that up in public ritual settings, as it affects my ability to help support the ritual in the most efficient/effective way.)

A lot of my shielding works on sound - the outer layer is sort of like white noise, filtering out distractions (but also, of necessity, filtering out some lower-volume details that might otherwise be useful), while the inner layer has a very clear sense of self, but is also structured in a way that other people can connect to and harmonise with it (sort of like a simple single instrument melody: there's lots of ways the harmony, other instrumentation can go.)

In small group/coven work, the shields come all the way down during the circle scribe (or immediately afterwards, if I'm the one scribing, which I'm usually not.) They go back up just before we open the circle again. I do this often enough that it doesn't take very long (maybe a long breath or two.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.