The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 26, 2021, 12:59:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 26, 2021, 12:59:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Indigo/Crystal Children and Adults  (Read 8183 times)
Odjn
Master Member
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am
United States United States

Religion: Supreme Skeptic

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 26, 2008, 12:14:14 pm »

I have been researching this topic for quite sometime and, it my view, it seems like just another bunch of "New Age" hogwash. I realize I am being harsh but what are your views on this?

Is there any real validity to this or is it just a fad that won't die?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 26, 2008, 12:20:53 pm »

I am an indigo child. I don't believe in indigo children.

For one thing, you will absolutely  NOT convince me that no one was ever born with an indigo colored energy field before sometime in the 1970's. Sorry, no.

Secondly: when looking at 'colors' of energy, it's often subjective. I might see blue, someone else very well could see orange. (In my experience it's similar certain types of to synesthesia in that it's more of an association than physically seeing a color.)

Thirdly: while it's true that there are particularly gifted individuals on this planet (and the color of their energy is irrelevant), it's also a common trend to want to believe that your child is somehow special, or superior to other children rather than facing the fact that maybe they just can't function the same way that others do. While I think that labels such as ADD are very overused, it's still not appropriate to stick a "special" label on a child who has difficulties and to tell them that they're 'better than everyone else' because of it. This leads to a whole host of problems.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: April 26, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »

I have been researching this topic for quite sometime and, it my view, it seems like just another bunch of "New Age" hogwash. I realize I am being harsh but what are your views on this?

I wouldn't call it New Age hogwash, I would call it New Age bullshit Cheesy

Dania summed up my views well and, to me, I'd say that many New Age parents use this as an excuse to let their kids run wild.  Then again, everyone seems to be doing it these days so indigo may have little to do with it.

As a side note, I really don't believe that the apparent color of an INVISIBLE energy field has any significance whatsoever.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
OpenHands
Master Member
Last Login:January 11, 2012, 09:52:34 pm

Religion: Canaanite Polytheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 26, 2008, 01:48:20 pm »

I think it's one thing to appreciate the strengths that a child has and entirely another to convince them that they are somehow superior to others.  Definitely a fad and one that I hope goes out of style soon. 

- OpenHands

- OpenHands

"Gardens are not made by singing, "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade." -- Rudyard Kipling

http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
soulfire
Journeyman
Last Login:December 06, 2010, 02:51:14 pm

Religion: Practical Witch, Healer

Dance Anyway!

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 26, 2008, 03:10:13 pm »

I agree w/ everything posted thus far.  What really gets me is when people use it as an excuse not to discipline their child (Nods to Melamphorus).   Angry

**Please PRAY FOR ME.  I'm in the fight of my life right now. Thank you ~SF/K
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #5: April 26, 2008, 08:48:48 pm »

I'm a strong vote for the latter.  Personally, I see it mostly as a way for people to excuse their children's bad behavior, or to stick their head in the sand about their children's developmental and/or emotional problems.  We had a big discussion on this a few months ago; you can find it here:

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=4504.0

Sperran
Lunamoth42
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 10:56:08 am

Religion: New Age-influenced Celtic Polytheist & Kitchen Witch

First, there was nothing. Then it exploded.

Blog entries (0)

Lunamoth42

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 13, 2008, 05:53:10 pm »

It could be argued that Wicca falls under "New Age hogwash," depending on whom you ask.

I'm reticent to pass judgement on other people's beliefs, no matter how much I might disagree with them.
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #7: May 13, 2008, 06:46:18 pm »

It could be argued that Wicca falls under "New Age hogwash," depending on whom you ask.

I'm reticent to pass judgement on other people's beliefs, no matter how much I might disagree with them.

I have no such reticence if what they believe:

1)  there is no evidence whatsoever to validate those beliefs

and

2)  their beliefs can clearly, and do clearly cause harm.

I think that the "Indigo child" phenomenon falls into the same category as Fundamentalist's obsession with creationism, and Scientology's rejection of psychology and I feel no compulsion to refrain from passing judgment on those beliefs.

Sperran
Lunamoth42
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 10:56:08 am

Religion: New Age-influenced Celtic Polytheist & Kitchen Witch

First, there was nothing. Then it exploded.

Blog entries (0)

Lunamoth42

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 13, 2008, 09:23:21 pm »

I have no such reticence if what they believe:

1)  there is no evidence whatsoever to validate those beliefs

and

2)  their beliefs can clearly, and do clearly cause harm.

I think that the "Indigo child" phenomenon falls into the same category as Fundamentalist's obsession with creationism, and Scientology's rejection of psychology and I feel no compulsion to refrain from passing judgment on those beliefs.

Sperran

I have nothing to validate my beliefs other than UPG.  I guess that means it's fair game to be mocked.

I don't know what harm they're causing apart from creating kids who feel entitled... but then I know people who have kids like that who are Christian, Jewish, you name it. 
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #9: May 13, 2008, 09:55:45 pm »

I have nothing to validate my beliefs other than UPG.  I guess that means it's fair game to be mocked.

I don't know what harm they're causing apart from creating kids who feel entitled... but then I know people who have kids like that who are Christian, Jewish, you name it. 

First of all, I see a big difference between passing judgment on others beliefs and mocking individuals.  If you decide that a belief is harmful or helpful (although it is typically used to describe a negative reaction) you are passing judgment.  Mocking means to make fun of or ridicule, and I don't typically do that, but I have no compunctions about telling folks I think they are wrong if I think their beliefs cause harm to the greater world.

Secondly, I'm not sure how "indigo children" would fall under the same umbrella as your religious UPG because the phenomenon is not typically pitched as a spiritual belief, but as a pseudoscientific theory about how these children are somehow the next evolution of human kind.  If one attempts to make a scientific claim, then one should be prepared to back it up with scientific evidence.  If folks try to back up scientific claims with "God said it.", "Aliens did it." or "Their aura is a funny color.", they shouldn't be surprised, nor have a right to be offended, when the scientific community comes down on them like a ton of bricks.

Third, do your beliefs clearly cause harm?  It was an "and" not an "or" statement.  Personally, I don't think that any additional method of creating spoiled brats should be encouraged, but that isn't my primary problem with this nonsense.  The harm this theory creates, aside from creating spoiled brats, is that clinging to the Indigo idea is often way for parents to avoid facing the fact that their children that have serious developmental problems.  Disorders like Aspbergers and autism are most effectively treated when treatment starts as young as possible.  Pretending that a child is the next evolution of our species might be a comforting lie, but it means that time is ticking away that could be spent helping that child become functional in our society.  I see that as direct and serious harm, and don't feel any need to coddle people espousing ideas that harm children. 

Sperran
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: May 13, 2008, 10:31:46 pm »

I don't think you are being mocked. However, the Indigo Children belief isn't usually presented as a religious belief, but as a factual statement about reality. Unlike religious beliefs, factual/scientific claims about reality require the same type of hard evidence as any other such claim.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Halstrom
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2010, 04:42:20 pm

Religion: Seeker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 13, 2008, 11:03:47 pm »

I could be called an indigo child/adult, and I don't believe in it. It's all New Age bullshit.
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 14, 2008, 05:06:07 pm »

I could be called an indigo child/adult, and I don't believe in it. It's all New Age bullshit.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Wink

Vyktor
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2013, 08:48:21 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gwyddon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 08, 2008, 04:04:20 pm »

By the whole theory of Indigo/Crystal Children maybe my daughter is not Autistic after all. Wow think of the time money and efffort it could have saved my wife and I! Roll Eyes **sarcasm off**

I think that we live in a world of denial. People can't accept that maybe there is something wrong with their child or on the flip side look for a label like ADD when what they need to do is give their child some disipline. That is not to say that there are not gifted children or that ADD is not a real thing. I just think people are really quick to look for any answer that makes them feel better rather than face some truth.

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 09, 2008, 09:09:25 am »

By the whole theory of Indigo/Crystal Children maybe my daughter is not Autistic after all. Wow think of the time money and efffort it could have saved my wife and I! Roll Eyes **sarcasm off**

I think that we live in a world of denial. People can't accept that maybe there is something wrong with their child or on the flip side look for a label like ADD when what they need to do is give their child some disipline. That is not to say that there are not gifted children or that ADD is not a real thing. I just think people are really quick to look for any answer that makes them feel better rather than face some truth.

I do not get how autism is equal to indigo, since indigo are supposed to be expecially empathic.  Autistic children tend to NOT be empatic, it's part of the deal.  What empathy Victor has has been entirely forced into his brain.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)