The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 15, 2019, 04:48:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2019, 04:48:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic Creation Myth?  (Read 13341 times)
Savage_Spirit
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 03, 2008, 07:28:10 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Reformed Celtic Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 26, 2008, 09:05:32 pm »

Hey, I'm in the mood to pick people's brains again.  So here goes.

To my knowledge there does not exist a complete Celtic creation myth, but there are some fragments and hints floating around out there in different sources.

Have any of you tried taking those fragments and hints and combined them with UPG and/or myths from non-Celtic cultures to come up with a Celtic creation myth?  Know of anyone who has?

"Dream no small dreams, for they have no power to move the hearts of men." - Goethe

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:April 10, 2019, 03:38:06 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 26, 2008, 09:10:52 pm »

Have any of you tried taking those fragments and hints and combined them with UPG and/or myths from non-Celtic cultures to come up with a Celtic creation myth?  Know of anyone who has?

My Celt is of the opinion that it's important that the concept of creation myth is decentered in his neo-reconstructionism.  He is prone to exclaiming, "The closest we've (Irish recon perspective) got is 'Some people arrived here, and there were people here, and conquered them.  And then some other people arrived, and conquered them.  And then we arrived ...'"

He highly values the sort of continuity feel of it, the lack of beginning and implied end, just the ongoing interactions of people and gods and land.  (If I'm remembering his rambles on the subject clearly.)

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #2: April 27, 2008, 12:01:39 pm »

To my knowledge there does not exist a complete Celtic creation myth, but there are some fragments and hints floating around out there in different sources.

Many people that I've come across have decided against working on a creation myth for exactly the reasons Darkhawk's Celt mentioned- I myself have no use for one, really.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 27, 2008, 12:30:29 pm »

This is strictly UPG, but I wonder if the different invasion stories aren't a form of creation myth. It is shown that the Celt's did have some conception of an under realm, so it is possible that the first four were constructing the under realms (fairy world for all intents and purpose). Then humans come onto the scene (the origins are irrelevant in the stories) and one of them speaks a poem, something akin to saying a spell and almost like speaking the world into existence. This overlays the human world ontop of the original fairy world.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #4: April 27, 2008, 12:42:39 pm »

This is strictly UPG, but I wonder if the different invasion stories aren't a form of creation myth. It is shown that the Celt's did have some conception of an under realm, so it is possible that the first four were constructing the under realms (fairy world for all intents and purpose). Then humans come onto the scene (the origins are irrelevant in the stories) and one of them speaks a poem, something akin to saying a spell and almost like speaking the world into existence. This overlays the human world ontop of the original fairy world.

I don't know that I'd agree with that entirely; creation myths in all other cultures that I've ever heard deal with not only the creation of land but the creation of people. If the various invasions and their subsequent banishments in essence "creates" the world, where do the people fit in? Even if the Irish took an unusual creation route and made the people first (it's my understanding the land comes first in extant creation myths), and that the people willed the land into existence, where did they come from?

nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 27, 2008, 12:45:53 pm »

Who knows, wasn't the land already there and then the people just showed up? Maybe there is more we are missing, or maybe I'm completely off the mark.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:April 10, 2019, 03:38:06 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: April 27, 2008, 03:39:18 pm »

I don't know that I'd agree with that entirely; creation myths in all other cultures that I've ever heard deal with not only the creation of land but the creation of people.

(I know at least a half dozen Egyptian creation myths; none of them deal with people.  The closest we've got to 'creation of people' is a pun.  It's all pretty much 'this is where the cosmos came from, more or less, and once it's been let run it become full of people and animals and stuff like that'.)

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #7: April 27, 2008, 03:42:13 pm »

(I know at least a half dozen Egyptian creation myths; none of them deal with people.  The closest we've got to 'creation of people' is a pun.  It's all pretty much 'this is where the cosmos came from, more or less, and once it's been let run it become full of people and animals and stuff like that'.)

Really? That's very interesting- I guess I'll have to reconsider my position on the Irish myth nigel posited, then.

Savage_Spirit
Senior Newbie
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 27, 2008, 04:19:32 pm »

From what I've read, I don't think the Irish Book of Invasions has ever been interpreted as a creation myth.  Those are migration myths which some people have connected with real life migrations of the various races that inhabited Ireland.

For a creation myth, we would probably have to look farther to the east to the original Celtic homeland, I think.

I've constructed a creation story that incorporates some of the clues that I've found, but it is really at least 75% UPG and meant only as an illustration of my understanding of Celtic cosmology.  It deals with the sacred well and the sacred tree, the animistic beliefs of the Celts, the decent of tribes from various animals, and Caesar's account that the Gauls believed themselves to be descended from "Dis Pater", a god of the Underworld.

It is quite long (almost three pages), but if anyone would like to read it, I'll post it here.

"Dream no small dreams, for they have no power to move the hearts of men." - Goethe
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #9: April 27, 2008, 04:28:24 pm »

For a creation myth, we would probably have to look farther to the east to the original Celtic homeland, I think.

What are you referring to, here? It implies to me the common syncreticism with India.

Also, please don't forget to quote the post you're replying to- it makes following the threads of conversation much easier. Thanks!

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: April 27, 2008, 05:56:49 pm »

From what I've read, I don't think the Irish Book of Invasions has ever been interpreted as a creation myth.  Those are migration myths which some people have connected with real life migrations of the various races that inhabited Ireland.

Actually, it has. I read one man's interpretation in a book whose title escapes me. I'm vainly trying to dig it up.

Brendan Myers, I understand, has also used this story as a model for the Celtic creation myth, as I heard it on deo's Shadow podcast.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: April 27, 2008, 06:15:32 pm »

Actually, it has. I read one man's interpretation in a book whose title escapes me. I'm vainly trying to dig it up.

Brendan Myers, I understand, has also used this story as a model for the Celtic creation myth, as I heard it on deo's Shadow podcast.

Ah, here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Celtic-Magical-Tradition/dp/1855381494

He (Steve Blamires) even creates a magical system based on this myth, as well as telling it like a creation story.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Seren
Journeyman
Last Login:January 24, 2014, 04:19:00 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Gaelic Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 27, 2008, 06:38:11 pm »

I think Peter Beresford Ellis had a go at one in one of his books - I've not read it though, so I could be wrong.

The Lebor Gabala Erenn (Book of Invasions) could be seen as an origin myth because it tells of how Ireland came to be. Certain bits of it could imply evidence of an underlying creation myth, because as each wave of invaders comes to Ireland, they shape it in some way by creating the lakes and plains etc, or bring something in terms of social or moral structure (kingship, the arts, agriculture etc).

It's possibly also significant that the Fomorians come on the scene and start causing problems after agriculture is introduced to the land, and only stop causing problems after the Tuatha De Danann defeat them and Lugh extracts some valuable information from Bres about how best to sow and harvest etc.
Savage_Spirit
Senior Newbie
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 27, 2008, 08:32:39 pm »

What are you referring to, here? It implies to me the common syncreticism with India.

While I am one who does believe that Celtic myth has some syncretism with most Indo-European myths, that statement was not meant to direct our attention to India.  I was thinking more of the Danube river valley.

Coll9
Journeyman
Last Login:November 12, 2009, 08:03:23 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 28, 2008, 04:45:29 pm »

More specifically, Brendan is referring to the Cath Magh Tureidh which he believes contains the elements of a possible pre-Christian Celtic creation myth.
http://www.deos-shadow.com/?p=47

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.