The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 23, 2021, 01:38:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2021, 01:38:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Warlock vs. Male Witch...  (Read 49762 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #75: May 01, 2008, 01:29:22 pm »

They didn't quite hit the surreal level I was aiming for.  That and searching through Delphi is a real pain in the arse. 

Tony Steele and the DoF weren't on Delphi; they were on the 2005(?) Beehive archive.  And technically, Tony did make it onto your list, though the DoF didn't--he's the "Tolkien is real" guy, though I don't think we knew there was a connection at the time.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #76: May 01, 2008, 01:34:09 pm »

You mean Brina (Yewberry)?
yeah her.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #77: May 01, 2008, 06:31:44 pm »

...like the Pagan Reparations gal. 

Lyric and I still joke about her whenever we see some beautiful old European Church or the like. For those who don't know, this person wanted all the churches, monasteries, etc. that might have been built on an old Pagan holy site torn down and the sites returned to "Pagan control." As I recall, she got quite upset when people here at TC thought that was a really bad idea.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #78: May 01, 2008, 07:12:29 pm »

Lyric and I still joke about her whenever we see some beautiful old European Church or the like. For those who don't know, this person wanted all the churches, monasteries, etc. that might have been built on an old Pagan holy site torn down and the sites returned to "Pagan control." As I recall, she got quite upset when people here at TC thought that was a really bad idea.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!! 
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #79: May 02, 2008, 01:41:45 am »

And then she came back and started a new thread when she insistd that in a survey, 'lots' of Pagans had agreed with her.  At which point posters switched to critiqueing her scientific method Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #80: May 02, 2008, 10:48:13 am »

And then she came back and started a new thread when she insistd that in a survey, 'lots' of Pagans had agreed with her.  At which point posters switched to critiqueing her scientific method Smiley

And if IIRC, the pagans she "surveyed" were at some pagan festival.

Randall and I still laugh about this whole thing.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #81: May 02, 2008, 04:28:56 pm »

And if IIRC, the pagans she "surveyed" were at some pagan festival.

That was one of the methodical issues Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #82: May 02, 2008, 05:50:04 pm »

I had forgotten all about her return visit.  If anyone here still has a paid Delphi membership, please try to find these threads. They should be good for a laugh or three.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #83: May 04, 2008, 07:18:27 pm »

The Narnia Flounce:

http://www.ecauldron.net/ab/index.php?webtag=CAULDRON&msg=8109.1

A young Christian girl offered to answer questions about the Bible.  As we pride ourselves on being an interfaith forum, this wasn’t a problematic thing.  In fact, for a few posts it looked like it would go well.  People asked questions.  None of these appeared particularly harsh, but the original poster didn’t take them too well.  The poster apparently thought we were the forces of darkness, and expected to be martyred.  To say that the flounce confused us is putting it lightly.
I have fond memories of that one, because it's also the Cookbook Thread.  NarniaGirl flounced quite early on (something like the tenth post in the thread, out of over 400), but the thread went on as a prime example of Cauldron Thread Drift and eventually found its way onto the subject of food and from there to swapping cookbook recommendations.  (I know this without looking, because I had to go dig it up - out of the slow archive, where the search function doesn't want to work for me! - at least twice; the third time, I found it easily because I remembered what its original topic had been, and saved the URL as a bookmark.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #84: May 04, 2008, 07:21:35 pm »

I have fond memories of that one, because it's also the Cookbook Thread.  NarniaGirl flounced quite early on (something like the tenth post in the thread, out of over 400), but the thread went on as a prime example of Cauldron Thread Drift and eventually found its way onto the subject of food and from there to swapping cookbook recommendations.  (I know this without looking, because I had to go dig it up - out of the slow archive, where the search function doesn't want to work for me! - at least twice; the third time, I found it easily because I remembered what its original topic had been, and saved the URL as a bookmark.)

Sunflower

I have often thought we could get a thread easily over 1000 posts just by talking about food.

I think that's the great love of TC's membership.  Grin

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #85: May 04, 2008, 07:47:40 pm »

You're close, she flounced on the twelfth.  However, there are only 216 posts in that thread.  Sorry about the small nit-pick. Tongue

What I can't figure out is if I was posting at that time because that seems like the type of thread I would love to be apart of.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #86: May 06, 2008, 07:32:02 pm »

You're close, she flounced on the twelfth.  However, there are only 216 posts in that thread.  Sorry about the small nit-pick. Tongue

What I can't figure out is if I was posting at that time because that seems like the type of thread I would love to be apart of.
Ah, okay - I was going from memory, and must have conflated it with another thread in which topic drift into food brought it to 400+.  (On that version of TC, we didn't have a Food & Cooking area at all - the folder closest to that was Crafts & Hobbies - so it tended to pop up everywhere.)

That's in the 2005 archive, so it's at least two-and-a-bit years ago, which I'm pretty sure is before your time.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #87: May 06, 2008, 07:37:59 pm »

That's in the 2005 archive, so it's at least two-and-a-bit years ago, which I'm pretty sure is before your time.

I was around in 2005, I just don't know if it was at a time when I had internet access.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Phoenix
Adept Member
Last Login:June 14, 2011, 05:51:50 am

Religion: Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #88: May 12, 2008, 10:04:59 pm »

I was wondering, is it taboo to refer to oneself as a Warlock or is it permissible?

The form that was used in medieval Europe was from a Welsh root word meaning "oath breaker"

OTOH ...

IIRC, there was also a similar Norse word that translates as "spirit song", and could loosely be interpreted as referring to a shamanic practice

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan
Phoenix
Adept Member
Last Login:June 14, 2011, 05:51:50 am

Religion: Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #89: May 12, 2008, 10:09:17 pm »

Oh yeah.  Although is it possible to warlock a non-Wiccan?

If I ever find my way out of the grey mists, I'll let you know

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)