The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 15, 2020, 04:31:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2020, 04:31:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: wands/athames for air/fire? tarot or craft, which do you prefer?  (Read 3407 times)
tigerlily717
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2010, 01:07:27 pm
United States United States

Religion: witch

ThinkPositively LiveIntentionally LoveGenerously

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 29, 2008, 01:23:35 pm »

I'm a believer in wands/staffs representing air and swords/athames for fire.  I'm interested in knowing the history/logic/explanation for the wand=fire and athame=air traditions.  I bought a beautiful tarot deck which i cannot connect to becuase of this slight difference.  It seems small, but is actually quite a hinderance to a reading for me.  I find this dilemma akin to chinese beliefs of 5 elements, simply something i do not follow and can't wrap my head around.  I'm not protesting/questioning the correspondance in other's practices.  Just looking for some insight.

For the record, i learned through books, discussions with other witches, and deep thought, and concluded this: 

>>>swords are forged in fire, so thus hold this energy.  They also share with fire the ability to destroy or create tangible things.  ('creation through destruction', intangible things)

>>>wands are (classically/traditionally) branches.  Though it is debatable whether the tree itself corresponds to earth or air, it does notcorrespond to fire.  And the branch spends it's life off the ground, surrounded by air and thus holds this energy.

What are your opinions on this subject?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 29, 2008, 01:50:58 pm »

I'm a believer in wands/staffs representing air and swords/athames for fire. 

That's my interpretation.

Though it is debatable whether the tree itself corresponds to earth or air, it does notcorrespond to fire.

I would argue for neither.  A tree is a living being, like you or I.  I would put any plant under the 5th, spirit, category if I were trying to pigeonhole it into an elemental correspondence.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 29, 2008, 03:18:17 pm »

I'm odd, I guess. 

For ritual or spellwork, I use blade/fire wand/air.  (When I use them.  It's been a long time since I've done rituals using these tools.  I do still use my knife for spellwork fairly regularly.)  The blade is a better tool for focusing my will, which I associate with fire.

But for divination - which is something I do far more often - I've always read the opposite attributes.  A sword or blade is cutting, like the intellect.  A wand or stave, coming from a living being, better represents the creative element or will.

I just go with what feels most appropriate to the task at hand.
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 29, 2008, 04:08:02 pm »

For ritual or spellwork, I use blade/fire wand/air.  (When I use them.  It's been a long time since I've done rituals using these tools.  I do still use my knife for spellwork fairly regularly.)  The blade is a better tool for focusing my will, which I associate with fire.

I always associate blades with fire. I just can't get my head around the other way. Huh

Although, your explanation does make sense to me (and that's the first, I've found, that does) for using blades to represent air.

sodapopninja
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 01, 2010, 03:44:19 am

Religion: Some sort of pagan

Voracious Devourer of Books

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 30, 2008, 12:46:46 pm »

I use blades for fire. I do not, however, use a wand because I have some difficulty connecting what is more or less a stick with the element of Air. I use a lit stick of incense or a feather instead, as these make muvh more sense to me.
FireWillow
Apprentice
Last Login:May 24, 2008, 01:19:25 pm

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 04, 2008, 09:11:23 am »

I don't use and athame in my practice.  I use the want for directing and inviting energy, and I use a boline for cutting herbs and such.  These are the tools that I associated with fire and air respectively.

I'm of a different opinion than the other posters ITT.  I associated the blade with air as I have always associated it with mental and intellectual powers.  I associate the wand with fire because I see strength in trees and wood is a product of photosynthesis which is a product of sunlight.  Wood also produces fire when ignited.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)