The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 12, 2021, 09:34:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2021, 09:34:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 106048 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Topic Start: February 28, 2007, 03:18:44 pm »

Someone had to start this thread after the move; I thought I'd go ahead and do it.  Smiley  What are you reading, how is it, and would you recommend it?

I've actually found it hard to read lately in general.  I don't know why.  I just haven't been terribly in the mood.  Sad  Which is really, really unusual for me.  When I get back to it, though, I'm in the middle of the Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper.  Excellent books.  Young adult, but that kind of young adult I could read for forever.  They make me feel magical.  Smiley

In addition, I keep an audiobook on my iPod to listen to in the car.  Right now that's Neil Gaiman's recent anthology Fragile Things, read by the author.  There are some stories I find more interesting than others, but generally it's been a good "read" so far.  The first story caught my attention right out of the gate: Lovecraft meets Sherlock Holmes!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: February 28, 2007, 03:51:33 pm »

I am .. entranced by Curse of Chalion, by Lois McMaster Bujold.  And the rest of the series, but that book completely entrances me.

I've also been working slowly through Tales of the Night Garden .. slowly, because it's wonderful and I don't want it to end. Smiley  Which is unusual for me, I usually just devour books.  But this one's incredible.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Egalas
Journeyman
Last Login:September 11, 2011, 02:34:10 pm

Religion: More of a Spiritual being then Religious

Ignorant people shouldn't breed!

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 28, 2007, 06:14:41 pm »

Marker, by Dr. Robin Cook.   The most recent in a series of books about two New York City Medical Examiners and their delving into special cases that seem to just happen to fall on their slab.

An excellent read.  Slow to start compaired to his earlier works, but a great book none the less.  It involves Dr. Laurie Montgomery findingfrom a series of unexplained deaths surrounding a hospital.  With no Pathology found within the autopsy and no way the healthy people sould have died, is there a serial killer on the loose, and what would be the perfect murder weapon?

While finding out that she has the marker for the mutated BRCA1 Gene that causes ovarian, and breast cancer, she also finds herself struggling with her wanting to have a family with her longtime lover Dr. Jack Stapleton.  However, his unwillingness to commit for fear of loosing her like his late wife and family, causes a split in the relationship at the same time Laurie finds herself pregnant with Jack's child.......

Hope this wasn't too long.. Smiley

---===<<< 0 >>>===---
"Perception is the key to unlocking the power of the subconscious mind…"
jazzie
Journeyman
Last Login:August 22, 2007, 01:44:23 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Eclectic

Yes, my dog DID grow into her ears!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 02, 2007, 08:46:51 am »

Marker, by Dr. Robin Cook.   The most recent in a series of books about two New York City Medical Examiners and their delving into special cases that seem to just happen to fall on their slab.

Hope this wasn't too long.. Smiley

I hope it wasn't too long as well because I really liked your "review" of it, and now I want to read that too. Sigh. These threads just make me want to read absolutely everything! But I can't help myself, I have to look.

I've actually found it hard to read lately in general....I just haven't been terribly in the mood.  Sad  Which is really, really unusual for me. 

I'm having trouble reading lately too, so I've gone with a very light read, and I'm going to be the first in the thread to say that I'm reading a Terry Pratchett book (you knew his name would come up sooner or later Grin). I'm reading Thud! and as per his usual form, it is entertaining. I love this guys warped views on things.

In addition, I keep an audiobook on my iPod to listen to in the car. 

I've been wanting to try these, but I don't want to miss out on anything if I tune out and don't notice. How do you go with them? Do you have to backtrack because you realise you haven't been listening? Or would it depend on the content? If it's great, might you still tune out anyway?

Cat people are different, to the extent that they generally are not conformists. How could they be, with a cat running their lives? - Louis J Camuti

Cat: a pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs, and patronizes human beings - Oliver Herford
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: March 02, 2007, 09:12:27 am »

I've been wanting to try these, but I don't want to miss out on anything if I tune out and don't notice. How do you go with them? Do you have to backtrack because you realise you haven't been listening? Or would it depend on the content? If it's great, might you still tune out anyway?

It all kind of depends.

There are some times when I know I'm not going to be able to follow what's going on--for example, if the roads are icy I won't be listening to the book, or if it's raining the sound of rain hitting the car will sometimes override the sound of the book (unless I turn it up WAY too loud).  Also, if I've got something else on my mind it'll be hard to concentrate on the book.  In those circumstances, I just skip listening to the book entirely and go for the music.

Usually, barring the above circumstances, I don't tune out on the book.  I mean, I keep enough of my mind free to concentrate on driving too!  But I keep one mental "eye" on the book and do pretty well at staying tuned-in.  (I actually find it easier to stay tuned in to audiobooks than to people sometimes.  Tongue )  Inevitably distractions will happen, and then...  it depends.  If I just missed a few seconds, or a minute or two, and I can still follow what's going on, I'll just let it go.  If I missed a significant portion and/or am having trouble picking the story back up, I'll back up to the last thing I remember hearing.

Since you like Pratchett, I'd highly recommend starting with a Discworld book to see if you like the format.  Smiley  There are two readers particularly who do a wonderful job with them; Nigel Planer (Planar?) is my favorite.  I can unfortunately never remember the other guy's name, but look for the guy who's not Nigel who has read a lot of Discworld audiobooks...  I think between the two of them they've done the bulk of them.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
jazzie
Journeyman
Last Login:August 22, 2007, 01:44:23 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Eclectic

Yes, my dog DID grow into her ears!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 02, 2007, 09:45:59 am »

Thanks Star. I've been applying for Sales Rep jobs at the moment, and I can just imagine all that juicy time in the car for *reading*. Well, first I have to get the job and then treat myself to an ipod, but it IS going to happen for me sooner or later. I think I should look at what's available and see if I can find a well worn favourite to start with. That might be the way to go for me.

Cat people are different, to the extent that they generally are not conformists. How could they be, with a cat running their lives? - Louis J Camuti

Cat: a pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs, and patronizes human beings - Oliver Herford
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: March 02, 2007, 04:05:31 pm »

Since you like Pratchett, I'd highly recommend starting with a Discworld book to see if you like the format

My daughters and I (we're all huge Terry Pratchett fans) tried to listen to the audiobooks during a car trip summer before last.  None of us could stay focused on it though -- something about the voices.  They were very soothing, and our minds tended to wander off.

We're going to try the audiobook thing again in a couple of weeks on another car trip.  I have "Stationary Bike" by Stephen King and "Twisted" (short stories) by Jeffrey Deaver.  I'm also thinking about getting a hold of "World War Z" on Koi's recommendation.

As for what I'm reading... I just finished "The Celtic Tradition" by Caitlin Matthews, which had a few good moments but was not all that great; and "Kindling the Celtic Spirit" by Mara Freeman, which I liked a LOT better.  I haven't started my next non-fiction yet.

And for fiction, I just started "The Protector's War" by S.M. Stirling.  It's the second in the "Dies the Fire" series.  I really enjoyed the first one, so thought I'd keep going.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 02, 2007, 07:38:12 pm »

..."Kindling the Celtic Spirit" by Mara Freeman...

I love that book! I've lost several copies "loaning" them to friends. Be careful if anyone asks to borrow it! Wink

As for what I'm reading...sadly, nothing at the moment. I've just finished the Fitzwilliam Darcy trilogy by Pamela Aidan, which is Austen's Pride and Prejudice from Mr. Darcy's point of view. I rather liked it (I'm a huge P&P fan) though the ending of the second book was just horrible and contrived. Everything else was good, though.

I recently picked up Indian New England Before the Mayflower by Howard Russell, which I'm hoping will turn out to be a good resource. Maybe I'll start it tonight...

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: March 02, 2007, 10:04:51 pm »

I recently picked up Indian New England Before the Mayflower by Howard Russell, which I'm hoping will turn out to be a good resource.

Resource for what?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 02, 2007, 10:08:23 pm »

Resource for what?

I want to be respectful in honoring the local land spirits, but I've had a hard time finding good resources for the beliefs and practices of the indigenous people in New England. I'm in CT, specifically, and a lot of what I come across is either Midwestern, Southern, or very close to New England (like the Seneca, who were NY and PA) but a bit more south than where I'm at.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Fausta
Reserve Staff
Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 09:06:42 pm
Finland Finland

Religion: Thelema / Religio Romana -ish

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: March 02, 2007, 10:25:13 pm »

My "living room table" book (read while relaxing on the sofa... or on the living room floor) is  Peter Gay's "Freud", a biography of Sigmund Freud. It's very well written, informative on the man, the time period of his activities, his theories and friends & foes.  I'm enjoying it.

The bedroom book is "Oxford History of Rome", which I think I've mentioned before in the same thread... This isn't to say it's a boring book (it isn't at all), just that I don't get to bed early enough to get much of the book read.

The loo book (well, why not?) is W. Somerset Maugham's "Catalina". Suitable quick & easy read for a loo book. The one before was "The Moon and the Sixpence" by the same author.

Fausta Acilia Mus
Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 03, 2007, 12:32:04 pm »

When I get back to it, though, I'm in the middle of the Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper.  Excellent books.  Young adult, but that kind of young adult I could read for forever. 

I love this series, too.

Right now, I'm rereading Fifth Business by Robertson Davies.  I read so much fantasy, that every once in a while I feel a need to read something that's set on regular old planet Earth, full of ordinary human goings-on.

Betty  Smiley
Thesaly
Journeyman
Last Login:May 13, 2008, 06:10:33 pm

Religion: Ecclectic Wiccan (for now)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 03, 2007, 12:35:28 pm »

Someone had to start this thread after the move; I thought I'd go ahead and do it.  Smiley  What are you reading, how is it, and would you recommend it?

Right now I've got Michael Crichton's Next in the bathroom for when DD gets her bath.  So far I'm really not liking it that much.  It's too scattered and disconnected.  I know it's a literary device that he's using and I'm sure all the individual stories will connect somewhere at the end, but it's really not doing it for me Sad

When I get back to it, though, I'm in the middle of the Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper.  Excellent books.  Young adult, but that kind of young adult I could read for forever.  They make me feel magical.  Smiley

One of my all-time favorite series!  My lifelong preoccupation with Wales started with those books!

In addition, I keep an audiobook on my iPod to listen to in the car.  Right now that's Neil Gaiman's recent anthology Fragile Things, read by the author.  There are some stories I find more interesting than others, but generally it's been a good "read" so far.  The first story caught my attention right out of the gate: Lovecraft meets Sherlock Holmes!

I love audiobooks!  It's the multitasker in me - lets me do two things at once Cheesy  I was lucky enough to attend a reading Neil Gaiman did from Fragile Things at Yale this summer, and I agree he's one of those rare authors who is also a good reader.  He read "Instructions," "How to Talk to Girls at Parties," and "The Day the Saucers Came."  Had the whole audience in hysterics!

Thesaly
Journeyman
Last Login:May 13, 2008, 06:10:33 pm

Religion: Ecclectic Wiccan (for now)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 03, 2007, 12:41:59 pm »

I usually find that if it's fiction I can tune out for a few seconds and still be able to follow what's going on.  If I tune out for longer than that I just rewind a little bit.  Nonfiction on the other hand I really have to be paying attention.  I've recently discovered several history audiobooks that I really enjoy, but I can't be doing anything I have to think about while I listen to them. 

The way I always describe my listening habits:  Audiobooks give my Left Brain something to do while my Right Brain is using my hands, and music gives my Right Brain something to do while my Left Brain is using my hands.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 03, 2007, 03:34:17 pm »

Lets see.

Listening to "Empire" by Orson Scott Card while driving to and from work. Should get that done in about 8 days.

Reading?  About a third of the way thru Ram Rebellion, part of Eric Flint's 1632 series.

Recently finished "Protector's War." I didn't think it was all that great. Seemed a very middle book, setting stuff up for book 3. First, Dies the Fire was good. Hope that Meeting at Corvalis is good.

also in hte past month: Chooser of the Slain and Unto the Breach by Ringo. Cannon Law by Flint, and probably something else.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)