The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 03, 2020, 12:02:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 03, 2020, 12:02:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 49   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 79876 times)
OpenHands
Master Member
Last Login:January 11, 2012, 09:52:34 pm
United States United States

Religion: Canaanite Polytheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 04, 2007, 10:54:35 am »

I'm slowly working through The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama.  It was an unexpected Christmas gift.  Not sure if I like books written by politicians, but I guess it could be helpful to understand a bit more about this guy.

- OpenHands

"Gardens are not made by singing, "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade." -- Rudyard Kipling

http://mathbatu.wordpress.com

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

hellfury
Last Login:January 02, 2008, 07:44:36 pm

Religion: spiritual, non-religious

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 04, 2007, 01:59:26 pm »

I'm in the middle of both print and audio stuff...

The print that I'm in the middle of is Jim Butchers Codex Alera series, currently a trilogy. I can't tell whether he'll be continuing that one or not, but I'm also keeping up with his Dresden Files series as new books come out.

The audio portion is Mur Lafferty's Heaven series, currently in "season 2" and available for free at http://www.podiobooks.com . Also available in her podcast, Geek Fu Action Grip (www.geekfuactiongrip.com).
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: March 05, 2007, 11:23:15 pm »

What are you reading, how is it, and would you recommend it?

I'm currently rereading Doc Savage novels. I find simple, familiar, action stories like these to be just what I need after losing a pet. I'm just not up for anything complex or even really new.

I did pick up Freemasonry: Symbols, Secrets, Significance from the library just before we lost Whimsy last week. It's more of a coffee table book, but it has lots of illos of masonic art.  It looks interesting.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
jazzie
Journeyman
Last Login:August 22, 2007, 01:44:23 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Eclectic

Yes, my dog DID grow into her ears!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: March 06, 2007, 12:00:54 am »

I did pick up Freemasonry: Symbols, Secrets, Significance from the library just before we lost Whimsy last week. It's more of a coffee table book, but it has lots of illos of masonic art.  It looks interesting.

It sounds interesting! But being a coffee table book I guess that that means there isn't quite as much info as we would normally like, but still I'm interested. Argh, I really need to stay away from the what are you reading thread. My list is far too large.

Cat people are different, to the extent that they generally are not conformists. How could they be, with a cat running their lives? - Louis J Camuti

Cat: a pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs, and patronizes human beings - Oliver Herford
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: March 06, 2007, 08:36:04 am »

It sounds interesting! But being a coffee table book I guess that that means there isn't quite as much info as we would normally like, but still I'm interested.

It's mainly pictures, although there is more text than some books like this.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: March 06, 2007, 08:46:32 am »

I just started reading The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.  I've only read a few of his stories, and now I'm plunging in like there's no tomorrow!

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
phoukamare
Master Member
Last Login:May 12, 2009, 10:56:35 pm

Religion: Irish pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: March 06, 2007, 10:21:36 pm »

Well, my books are still in Arizona (sign), but the Greenville Public Library is my friend. 3 of the librarians now know me by name and 1 even knows what kind of books I like and lets me know when something new is in that I may be interested.

I miss MY books, so, I've been getting copies of them from the library and visiting my friends.

Currently I'm re-reading the Dragonrider series. I alternate with with Lackey's Valdemar series.

Phouka
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #22: March 07, 2007, 04:12:11 am »

I just finished rereading The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings, and I'm working on Parallel Myths by J. F. Bierlein

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
jazzie
Journeyman
Last Login:August 22, 2007, 01:44:23 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Eclectic

Yes, my dog DID grow into her ears!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: March 07, 2007, 05:58:01 am »

I just finished rereading The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings, and I'm working on Parallel Myths by J. F. Bierlein

I LOVED the Redemption of Althalus. Have only read it twice so far though, unlike some of my more well-worn favourites. I plan on reading it again too Grin

Cat people are different, to the extent that they generally are not conformists. How could they be, with a cat running their lives? - Louis J Camuti

Cat: a pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs, and patronizes human beings - Oliver Herford
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: March 07, 2007, 07:05:47 am »

I LOVED the Redemption of Althalus. Have only read it twice so far though, unlike some of my more well-worn favourites. I plan on reading it again too Grin

Yeah, but its a shame eddings seems to be running out of ideas. (the younger gods was attrosious attroshis and rubbish and I Hate the "it was all a dream ending as well)

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: March 07, 2007, 08:26:51 am »

I just finished rereading The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings....

This is one of my favorite Eddings books.  Great story and not a 10 book series. LOL.

Randall
Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #26: March 07, 2007, 08:43:55 am »

Right now I'm reading a book called The Gallery of Regrettable Food, which is mostly pictures from popular cookbooks from the fifties and sixties (You know, the everything gelatin era  Tongue ) with commentary. It's very funny. It's such a light book that I'm also starting up with Why Do People Hate America, which looks at how our culture influences other cultures, and why we are so unpopular. I haven't gotten into it enough to expound further, but it looked interesting in a Penn & Teller kind of way.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #27: March 07, 2007, 11:26:42 am »

I'm reading Jim Butcher's 'Dresden Files' series for lightness and a bunch of medical books to torture myself.  I think my husband plans to hide the latter next time I leave the house.  (I still can't visit my mom because of the flu endangering her treatment schedule and she's never liked the phone much).

All my books are on cds or on the computer because of my eyes, so it's just a matter for him of sticking them in his pocket when I'm not looking.  Ol Harry Dresden's trials and tribulations only take an hour or two each to read, but I've got I think eight or nine of them to go through.

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #28: March 07, 2007, 04:19:24 pm »

I've actually found it hard to read lately in general.  I don't know why...

I hear you there. I used to be that kind of reader who wouldn't stop till the book was through.
It's hard to focus for me at the moment, because I've so much on my mind.

...When I get back to it, though, I'm in the middle of the Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper.  Excellent books.  Young adult, but that kind of young adult I could read for forever.  They make me feel magical.  Smiley

Oh yes, very magical - it was 'The Dark is Rising' - which is called 'Wintersolstice' in german that kind of pushed me in a pagen way (with a few other books) I was fascinated by Herne and all that Wild Hunt Stuff  Wink I used to read it for years around the Wintersolsticetime - it was kind of my personal tradition.

At the moment I read 'Last Continent' from Terry Pratchett, I love the Discworld. Pratchett is a wise and funny man  Grin

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Acacia
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 26, 2009, 04:57:52 pm

Religion: Canaanite Polytheist, Feri Student, Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: March 07, 2007, 06:26:41 pm »

Right now I'm reading a book called The Gallery of Regrettable Food, which is mostly pictures from popular cookbooks from the fifties and sixties (You know, the everything gelatin era  Tongue

I am so jealous. That sounds awesome. Although it's too bad they didn't just call that book, "Regrettable Food." I think that would be funnier.

I just finished reading Monstrous Regiment and Jingo--the last of a set of Terry Pratchett books I bought for the library. I bought about 50 and I've read them all. And dammit! do I ever wish I had more...

I'm also reading Wind in the Willows. But I had to stop reading that for awhile because I don't want it to end. It's one of the best children's books I've ever read and I can't gush about it enough.

I'm still reading through Claudia Rodin's Arabesque. That is one amazing book (and a fantastic choice for a Valentine's day present--thanks, Husband!).

I recently finished Pride and Prejudice myself. I had never read it before, I'm ashamed to say. I celebrated finishing it by watching its latest remake plus the Bollywood version Bride and Prejudice. (Highly recommended.)

I also just finished Octavia Butler's Kindred, which I did not like as much as Wild Seed. In fact, I didn't really like it at all. (But I still love the late Octavia Butler!)

I'm trying to read L.M. Montgomery's other popular book "Emily of New Moon" but so far... I sort of hate it.

Acacia

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 49   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)