The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 02, 2020, 12:30:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2020, 12:30:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 79865 times)
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #705: February 21, 2011, 04:36:31 pm »

Revising.  Angry

But I did manage to finish Kim by Rudyard Kipling recently, and absolutely loved it. I picked it up because I'd heard it's a good example of colonial literature - and it is - but it's way more than that. It's subversive (the white boy-hero is more comfortable being Indian), the descriptions of 19th century Indian settings, people, customs etc are really vivid and sympathetic, Kim gets involved in espionage between Britain and Russia, and he also goes around with a (Tibetan?) Buddhist lama. Not used to having spy stuff interleaved with Buddhist philosophy, but it works.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #706: February 21, 2011, 04:59:11 pm »

Revising.  Angry

But I did manage to finish Kim by Rudyard Kipling recently, and absolutely loved it. I picked it up because I'd heard it's a good example of colonial literature - and it is - but it's way more than that. It's subversive (the white boy-hero is more comfortable being Indian), the descriptions of 19th century Indian settings, people, customs etc are really vivid and sympathetic, Kim gets involved in espionage between Britain and Russia, and he also goes around with a (Tibetan?) Buddhist lama. Not used to having spy stuff interleaved with Buddhist philosophy, but it works.

...And I just *started* Kim, today, reading it with a friend in our mutual quest to fill in the gaps in our well-read-ness.

Also currently reading...  Let's see...  Bleak House by Dickens is my long-commute audiobook; my current ebook is Pratchett's The Fifth Elephant (and I cannot for the life of me remember whether I've ever read it before, oddly); my current DailyLit is Agatha Christie, The Mysterious Affair at Styles; and I'm going through Raggedy Andy Stories (having already finished Raggedy Ann) with my three-year-old.

I'm insane.  I recognize this.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
omoyemaya
Master Member
Last Login:April 13, 2011, 12:27:33 pm
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Santeria and Boricua bohique path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #707: February 21, 2011, 05:22:05 pm »

Revising.  Angry

I read Kim a few years back and didn't enjoy it at all. I guess that's no surprise coming from what is still essentially a colony, and having strong political views about that.

Please help my babies with a click.
Taliesin
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 06:01:23 am

Religion: Celtic Panen/Polytheism

You are a child of the universe...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #708: February 24, 2011, 09:18:12 am »

I started The Picture of Dorian Gray last night, on an impulse, and so far it's fantastic. I've wanted to read it for years so it's about time really. Cheesy I'm also reading The Prodigal Mage by Karen Miller, the start of a sequel set to some books I read of hers last year, and I'm also still working through Jeffrey Gantz's Early Irish Myths and Sagas. A bit silly really when I should be focussing on revising but yano. I like reading. Roll Eyes

'When you do things from your soul you feel a river moving in you, a joy. When action come from another section, the feeling disappears.' - Rumi

'The landscape is always the sand, the sky, the clouds, the sea. Only the waves change, always the same and always different.' - L.E
Gillyflower
Journeyman
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 02:49:46 pm

Religion: Dark Paganism

I do what my M&Ms tell me to.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #709: February 24, 2011, 10:07:04 am »

A bit silly really when I should be focussing on revising but yano. I like reading. Roll Eyes

You tell me. I'm supposed to be revising The Lovely Bones for school, but I was done with it days ago. I'm going to finish The Complete Idiot's Guide to Buddhism before half-term break is over.

~Know this, and let it somewhat raise your spite,
Through darkness diamonds spread their richest light.~
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #710: February 24, 2011, 11:02:45 am »

I seem to be in a not-too-meaty mood these days when it comes to books.  I just finished The World Without Us, which is theoretically serious, but a really quick read (so it falls into the sorta-breezy category).  Now I'm reading Sloane Crosley's How Did You Get this Number, which is almost as funny as her first book I was Told There'd Be Cake.  An excellent summer read.

Brina
Taliesin
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 06:01:23 am

Religion: Celtic Panen/Polytheism

You are a child of the universe...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #711: February 24, 2011, 12:19:49 pm »

You tell me. I'm supposed to be revising The Lovely Bones for school, but I was done with it days ago. I'm going to finish The Complete Idiot's Guide to Buddhism before half-term break is over.

I love half-term, why does it have to go so quickly? Cheesy I've told myself several times this week that I'm going to do English coursework. Have I done it? No, of course not. I've been reading anything but what I'm supposed to be. xD

'When you do things from your soul you feel a river moving in you, a joy. When action come from another section, the feeling disappears.' - Rumi

'The landscape is always the sand, the sky, the clouds, the sea. Only the waves change, always the same and always different.' - L.E
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #712: February 24, 2011, 12:55:21 pm »

I love half-term, why does it have to go so quickly?

Half-term...ah, you youngster. Those were the days.  Cheesy

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Sabine
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:46:56 am

Religion: Christian in faith, Pagan in practice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #713: February 28, 2011, 09:51:12 am »

I just read a terrible, terrible rip off of Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood. Awful. A brotherhood of warrior vampires with wings battling "death vamps." They're all terribly wounded, one's an alcoholic, they're commanded by a mother/goddess person. The whole way through, I kept snorting and waking up my husband.

I bought it because the cover caught my eye and it was 30% off. There's $5.60 and 3 hours I'll never get back.

darkwhispersdale
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2013, 03:41:49 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #714: March 06, 2011, 05:25:39 pm »

Currently have several books on the go

Tavelling Heroes: Greeks and their Myths in the Epic Age of Homer by Robin Lane Fox
The Great Transformation: The World in the Time of Buddha, Socrates, Confucius and Jeremiah by Karen Armstrong
The Classical World by Robin Lane Fox
Natural History by Gaius Pliny (the Elder Pliny)
On Love and Barley by Matsuo Basho

For what purpose humanity is there should not even concern us: why you are there, that you should ask yourself: and if you have no ready answer, then set for yourself goals, high and noble goals, and perish in pursuit of them! I know of no better life purpose than to perish in attempting the great and the impossible...

- Nietzsche, unpublished note from 1873
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #715: June 24, 2011, 10:25:46 pm »

Well, I ended up getting two books into this year's read-through of Kushiel's Legacy. Still need to start reading the last book in the first trilogy. Cheesy

Also right now I'm re-reading and starting to work through Evolutionary Witchcraft by T. Thorn Coyle. Annnd I'm reading through Portrait of a Priestess: Women and Ritual in Ancient Greece by Joan Breton Connelly.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Lovesdalionking
Master Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:39:44 pm

Religion: Searching Solitary Human Being

You are beautiful, no matter what

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #716: June 27, 2011, 01:40:39 am »

There is this program I plan to do called, "WAY/IRN" (What are/am you/I reading now?), where I read ten books in one year, make reviews on them and create a top 10 list on which were my favorites and least favorites.

So this year in '11, I am reading books I either had on my shelf but never got to, or books I always wanted to read, but never bought.

This Summer, I am reading the following:

*The Qur'ran (reading the whole year)

1. Little Women-DONE
2. North- In Progress
3. Animals in Translation
4. Looks

For Winter:

1. White Fang
2. Sanctuary
3. Dreams of my Father (cheating a bit one this one, reading this all year along with the Qur'ran)
4. Psychic Vampires
5. Thinking in Pictures
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #717: June 27, 2011, 06:08:21 am »

I usually find that if it's fiction I can tune out for a few seconds and still be able to follow what's going on.  If I tune out for longer than that I just rewind a little bit.  Nonfiction on the other hand I really have to be paying attention.  I've recently discovered several history audiobooks that I really enjoy, but I can't be doing anything I have to think about while I listen to them. 

The way I always describe my listening habits:  Audiobooks give my Left Brain something to do while my Right Brain is using my hands, and music gives my Right Brain something to do while my Left Brain is using my hands.

Since my quarter ended today I'm restarting and forging ahead on a few:

George R.R. Martin's A Feast for Crows (fourth in the Song of Ice and Fire series, trying to get it finished before the 12th when A Dance with Dragons is released) I'm just under halfway on this'n reading it on my kindle.

The Myth of Matriarchal Prehistory: Why an Invented Past Won't Give Women a Future by Cynthia Eller up to chapter four - Hardcopy as I couldn't find a digital version

Ronald Hutton's Blood and Mistletoe: A History of Druids in Britain - Just cracked the intro also hardcopy

I also have a backlog of ebooks I picked up awhile ago I haven't had time to get into. Need to get back to the gym and the treadmill, reading is a great way to distract myself from the agony of cardio Tongue

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Nixie
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 27, 2011, 04:03:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #718: June 27, 2011, 01:55:28 pm »

Christmas Menu's for the restaurant I manage.
Arienwen
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2011, 10:45:21 am

Religion: exploring hellenistic recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #719: June 28, 2011, 01:30:08 pm »

Christmas Menu's for the restaurant I manage.

I finally got in Amanda Quick's Burning Lamp.  It's wicked good.  But then, most of her books are  Cheesy

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)