The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 26, 2020, 07:11:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2020, 07:11:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Which Pagan religions are NOT nature-earth based?  (Read 20198 times)
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:July 10, 2020, 02:41:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: May 01, 2008, 01:32:46 pm »

Just a quick question:  I've read that most  Pagan religions are Earth-centered or nature worshiping, but that begs the question (so to speak) - which ones aren't?   I was also wondering if maybe it's not always a cut and dried kind of delineation to make, as few things in reality are simply black and white.

I agree that it's not always cut and dried.  "Nature-based" vs. "not nature-based" can get weird and sticky, because prior to the Industrial Revolution, most religions had *some* kind of tie to the natural world, at least the "agricultural festivals" part of it -- the bit that affects humans most directly.  I think the best distinction to make is one of, well, for lack of a better word, "rootedness"; if the overarching mythos and ideology -- the guiding principle of the religion -- is rooted in reverence for the natural world (whether it's actually "earth worship" or not), that's nature-based.  Like, the Greeks have plenty of gods connected to nature (Artemis, etc.), but that's not, like, the central theme/metaphor/linking factor of Greek religion in general; therefore, Greek religion=not nature-based (at least in the forms we know a lot about, like Athenian civic religion).  On the other hand, the natural world *is* a major principle of Wicca in all its forms; the gods are explicitly connected with nature and the natural cycle (Wheel of the Year), and it forms a major organizing principle of the religion.  The logic (I think that's the word I want) that underpins Wiccan practice -- as well as the practice of other nature-based religions -- is intimately tied to the natural world.   

So, nature-based would include Wicca (BTW and neo-), many indigenous tribal religions (esp. non-nomadic ones), and I'd also put Druidry in there.  Non-nature-based would include Reconstructionsms whose overall focus and structural logic isn't nature (Hellenic, Religio Romana, Asatru).  I am willing to buy, though, that there are ways to do Reconstructionism in a more nature-based way -- maybe people who are following more of a "farmer" or "hunter" path (as opposed to, say, "warrior" or "scholar" or whatever), or those whose personal practice revolves around, say, Demeter or Artemis.             

One problem that I've seen in places where non-nature-based Recons and Recon-influenced types are dominant is the equation of "nature-based" with "fluffy":  I have seen many snorts of "I worship the GODS, not NATURE!11!"  Which completely misses the point of what "nature-based" means:  the gods in nature-based religions are *about* nature (and sometimes, not always, nature itself), and most things in the religion are intimately connected to nature.       
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 01:34:44 pm by catja6, Reason: clarity » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)