The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 23, 2020, 04:17:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2020, 04:17:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Which Pagan religions are NOT nature-earth based?  (Read 19797 times)
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #60: May 06, 2008, 07:00:17 pm »

I personally think the terms "nature-based" and "earth-based" are too broad to really be useful in defining religions. Saying a religion "has festivals that follow the seasonal cycle of the northern temperate zone" tells me something. Saying the same religion is "nature-based" really doesn't say anything concrete about the religion.

Great point. And good example.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #61: May 06, 2008, 07:20:23 pm »

Generally, though, in this thread, I just meant "nature based" as any religion that observes some special kind of reverence for nature, some connection between it and Deity beyond the simple relationship of creator and creation, even if it's not the primary focal point of the religion, necessarily.

To my mind, though, saying 'X-based' means that X is the base or foundational principle of the religion, not just a significant part.  Nature-based or Earth-based seems like it should mean that nature or Earth is the central focus of the religion.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am
United States United States

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #62: May 06, 2008, 08:43:33 pm »

Generally, though, in this thread, I just meant "nature based" as any religion that observes some special kind of reverence for nature, some connection between it and Deity beyond the simple relationship of creator and creation, even if it's not the primary focal point of the religion, necessarily.  The Abrahamic faiths are what I would consider an example of non-nature-based religions, even if some of them appreciate the beauty of the natural world.

The problem with that is that Judaism, in particular would be considered a nature-based religion under this definition.  Many of the major festivals have an agricultural basis.  We even have a holiday that celebrates the birthday of the trees.  But I don't think most Jews would consider themselves nature based (although one of our very green Rabbis might be on the fence about that <g>).

Sperran
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #63: May 06, 2008, 09:09:39 pm »

The problem with that is that Judaism, in particular would be considered a nature-based religion under this definition.  Many of the major festivals have an agricultural basis.  We even have a holiday that celebrates the birthday of the trees.  But I don't think most Jews would consider themselves nature based (although one of our very green Rabbis might be on the fence about that <g>).

I don't know any Jewish people who would consider their religion nature-based, either. And this is a good example of the problems that can arise from the multiplicity of defintions that are applied to one term.

Therefore it would be better if only a member of a certain religion applied certain terms to their own religion; ie; a Jewish person saying 'my religion is not nature-based', or a Wiccan person saying 'my religion is nature-based'.

But then you have the problem of internal disagreements within the one religion. For instance, Wiccan A says their religion is nature-based and Wiccan B argues that their religion isn't nature-based.

*sigh* Be and let be, I would say...but I think we've already come to terms with the fact that this won't happen. Too many people feel the need to tell another person what that person's religion is or isn't, if only to clarify the religion in their own head. Aggravating stuff.

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #64: May 06, 2008, 10:25:49 pm »

I don't think you have to be a psychologist to realize that mental disorders actually exist, which the scientologists vehemently deny.  Sad

Scientology is based on an old form of pop psychology. It appealed to the masses then and can still do so, I'm afraid. Especially as Scientology has some popular people speaking for it and is basically ran as a money-making business.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #65: May 06, 2008, 10:38:29 pm »

I think one way of defining the difference between nature-based and non nature-based (though that's not what I originally set out to do here) is whether you see your God(s) as immanent with nature, or transcendent to nature.
Thoughts?

I really see it as imminent. All I do, all I am, is a gift from the World.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Lunamoth42
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 10:56:08 am

Religion: New Age-influenced Celtic Polytheist & Kitchen Witch

First, there was nothing. Then it exploded.

Blog entries (0)

Lunamoth42

Ignore
« Reply #66: May 07, 2008, 11:00:34 am »

Sperran

Right, though their festivals have an agricultural basis, the religion isn't *focused* on nature, it's focused on G_d.  The festivals are a component of the religion, but not the baseline of it.

It's like... just because Dr. Pepper is flavoured with prunes doesn't make it fruit-based.  Similarly, just because a religion *includes* ritual and such that references nature and seasonal cycles doesn't make it inherantly nature-based.
Grymdycche
Journeyman
Last Login:December 09, 2009, 03:42:56 pm

Religion: Aspiring Trad Witchcraft

I never speak in absolutes ..except this one

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #67: May 07, 2008, 12:16:41 pm »

Sperran

You didn't quite understand how I meant it, and I didn't communicate it very efficaciously.

I would never consider any of the Abrahamic faiths as nature based. I only worded it that way to avoid too strict a definition, as I didn't want to set too hard of a line.  Such things are often fuzzy or gradual. For example, Wiccas are considered nature based because the Goddess and God are (usually) considered manifestations of nature, mother earth, the forest, etc...  but not all witches are wiccans.   I'm also not sure that all Wiccans view the Goddess as a manifestation of mother earth, for that matter (personally I do, but..)  I think it goes back to that immanent vs. transcendent thing.

So, though I said, "even if it's not the primary focal point", I should've added in "so long as it's the secondary" or "in the top three".
Same as Randall pointed out with Greek Mythology.  The mere story of Persephony alone (or Demeter) does not make Hellenism a nature religion, when Ares, Athena, Hermes, Zeus, Dionysus, Hera, et al.. have basically nothing to do with "nature".

Qualis vir, talis oratio
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard might not be what I meant
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #68: May 07, 2008, 12:48:21 pm »

You didn't quite understand how I meant it, and I didn't communicate it very efficaciously.

I would never consider any of the Abrahamic faiths as nature based. I only worded it that way to avoid too strict a definition, as I didn't want to set too hard of a line.  Such things are often fuzzy or gradual. For example, Wiccas are considered nature based because the Goddess and God are (usually) considered manifestations of nature, mother earth, the forest, etc...  but not all witches are wiccans.   I'm also not sure that all Wiccans view the Goddess as a manifestation of mother earth, for that matter (personally I do, but..)  I think it goes back to that immanent vs. transcendent thing.

So, though I said, "even if it's not the primary focal point", I should've added in "so long as it's the secondary" or "in the top three".
Same as Randall pointed out with Greek Mythology.  The mere story of Persephony alone (or Demeter) does not make Hellenism a nature religion, when Ares, Athena, Hermes, Zeus, Dionysus, Hera, et al.. have basically nothing to do with "nature".

In fairness, I think that Judaism is a complicated case, because I suspect the early religion of the Hebrew people was much more nature based than the modern faith.  Thus, we have the complications of transitioning a predominantly nomadic, rural faith into predominantly urban faith. 

Sperran
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #69: May 07, 2008, 07:06:39 pm »

In fairness, I think that Judaism is a complicated case, because I suspect the early religion of the Hebrew people was much more nature based than the modern faith.  Thus, we have the complications of transitioning a predominantly nomadic, rural faith into predominantly urban faith. 

Sperran

yeah, b/c Judaism is very much alive, even after many thousands of years. So even though it doesn't look anything like the religion of the nomadic tribes it sprang from anymore, there are vestigial bits of that more nature-based, agrarian religion present. And some of them have evolved into concepts of earth stewardship, like Tikkun Olam.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

OmPom
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 03:45:00 pm

Religion: Druid

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #70: May 14, 2008, 10:26:57 pm »

So, nature-based would include Wicca (BTW and neo-), many indigenous tribal religions (esp. non-nomadic ones), and I'd also put Druidry in there.  Non-nature-based would include Reconstructionsms whose overall focus and structural logic isn't nature (Hellenic, Religio Romana, Asatru).  I am willing to buy, though, that there are ways to do Reconstructionism in a more nature-based way -- maybe people who are following more of a "farmer" or "hunter" path (as opposed to, say, "warrior" or "scholar" or whatever), or those whose personal practice revolves around, say, Demeter or Artemis.             

One problem that I've seen in places where non-nature-based Recons and Recon-influenced types are dominant is the equation of "nature-based" with "fluffy":  I have seen many snorts of "I worship the GODS, not NATURE!11!"  Which completely misses the point of what "nature-based" means:  the gods in nature-based religions are *about* nature (and sometimes, not always, nature itself), and most things in the religion are intimately connected to nature.       

I've never really thought about it. As a Druid I respect nature and believe that there is a bit of the gods in all living things. I didn't see it so much as worshiping nature though. I do believe we aren't the only planet with living things out there, but it makes sense for people to worship our nature since that's all they know. Is Druidism considered nature-worship? I'm relatively new to the religion. I've been reading up on it for a little over 7 years, but I never really read in any of the books that it was necessarily nature worship. I know there are nature gods, but I  too believe the gods to be a universal and much larger entity, not just localized. Druids also have war gods, and non nature orientated gods, so I find it hard to think of us as exclusively nature orientated.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:39:28 pm by cedardryad » Logged
Grymdycche
Journeyman
Last Login:December 09, 2009, 03:42:56 pm

Religion: Aspiring Trad Witchcraft

I never speak in absolutes ..except this one

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #71: May 15, 2008, 11:51:45 am »

I've never really thought about it. As a Druid I respect nature and believe that there is a bit of the gods in all living things. I didn't see it so much as worshiping nature though. I do believe we aren't the only planet with living things out there, but it makes sense for people to worship our nature since that's all they know. Is Druidism considered nature-worship? I'm relatively new to the religion. I've been reading up on it for a little over 7 years, but I never really read in any of the books that it was necessarily nature worship. I know there are nature gods, but I  too believe the gods to be a universal and much larger entity, not just localized. Druids also have war gods, and non nature orientated gods, so I find it hard to think of us as exclusively nature orientated.

I can't answer the Druid question, but had a thought about not being the only planet, etc..

I have no doubt there is life on other planets,  in fact,  I used to think so far forward (as a Sci-Fi fan) that I didn't see Earth as a steward and guardian, but as little more than a nursery and launching point for mankind.
However,  with NASA feverishly working on sending men to Mars, they (and we) have become more critically aware of the numerous ways in which the Earth protects us, and just how darn good we have it here.

Not just air, water, and food, of course, but the magnetic field that prevents solar and cosmic radiation from making pincushions out of us, or stripping away the atmosphere as happened to Mars, to the very way we evolved due to being in a 1 gravity environment. We are tied to this planet in many ways, many of which we won't realize until we attempt to leave.  It's coded in our DNA.
Couple all this with the immense distance and time that other planets are from us, and at this stage, they become nearly moot, from a purely human standpoint.
Perhaps, there are separate sets of God for each solar system, planet, or region. It could be that we give them life, each planet it's own little tidal pool "community" and unique Gods. 
But then, maybe not, too. Maybe we are simply as algae to our little tidal pool, and the Gods are as humans are to the algae, free to move about from pool to pool and vastly beyond.  The only problem with that analogy is, humans don't listen to, nor give a crap about the algae in tidal pools, except for the few select scientists who study them dispassionately.  Wink

Qualis vir, talis oratio
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard might not be what I meant
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #72: May 15, 2008, 07:34:13 pm »

Not just air, water, and food, of course, but the magnetic field that prevents solar and cosmic radiation from making pincushions out of us, or stripping away the atmosphere as happened to Mars, to the very way we evolved due to being in a 1 gravity environment. We are tied to this planet in many ways, many of which we won't realize until we attempt to leave.  It's coded in our DNA.

And see, this is why, for me, the earth is my mother and father, my beginning and ending, my point of departure and return in body mind and spirit. So I consider myself to be a person who worships the earth, yes.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #73: May 15, 2008, 08:33:07 pm »

And see, this is why, for me, the earth is my mother and father, my beginning and ending, my point of departure and return in body mind and spirit. So I consider myself to be a person who worships the earth, yes.

If you don't mind me asking: you said the earth is your mother and father, does that mean you view the Goddess and the God as the earth itself? Or do you worship the Gods separate to the earth? Or do you not in fact worship Gods at all?

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #74: May 15, 2008, 10:35:04 pm »

IME, it's usually considered a nature-based religion (though there are several different Druidic organizations that may have different takes on that, and lots of folks who identify as Druidic who aren't connected to any of the groups) - but OTOH, I don't think I've ever seen it characterized as being exclusively nature-oriented.

That actually seems a bit odd to me; I'm not sure why something would have to be exclusively nature-based for it to count.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)