The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 12, 2020, 02:53:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 12, 2020, 02:53:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Which Pagan religions are NOT nature-earth based?  (Read 19264 times)
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #75: May 16, 2008, 09:58:19 am »

If you don't mind me asking: you said the earth is your mother and father, does that mean you view the Goddess and the God as the earth itself? Or do you worship the Gods separate to the earth? Or do you not in fact worship Gods at all?

Well, I take a more eclectic view than that. I do not see the gods and goddesses I serve as separate from the earth, no. I do worship Gods and Goddesses, and I see them as discrete in their functions, ie prosperity fertility, destruction/creation and so on, but not in their purposes, which to me is basically the reuniting of all, and then dispersing it again, endless contraction and expansion. The entities that I call Gaia and Green or Horned Man, I see as divine personifications of the earth itself, but I think of Kali and Shiva, for ex, as more of a Cosmic Mother and Father, part of Earth but not necessarily only of Earth-that's how They present to me, anyway. And the Earth is part of a greater cosmic pattern, and to me awareness and reverence for that is basically the same thing as worshipping the earth, but in the larger context. As Grym noted, we were made here, we are perfectly and divinely suited to live *here, no place else, as far as we know, without lots of special support. My primary focus, magically, is the Earth and care of it, and using the energy that is here for the good of all, to the best of my ability, b/c She is my mother and that is my role. But my focus, spiritually, is wider than that, b/c eventually reuniting with Her, in a cosmic sense, is my ultimate goal. Hope that makes sense.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #76: May 16, 2008, 08:47:03 pm »

Well, I take a more eclectic view than that. I do not see the gods and goddesses I serve as separate from the earth, no. I do worship Gods and Goddesses, and I see them as discrete in their functions, ie prosperity fertility, destruction/creation and so on, but not in their purposes, which to me is basically the reuniting of all, and then dispersing it again, endless contraction and expansion. The entities that I call Gaia and Green or Horned Man, I see as divine personifications of the earth itself, but I think of Kali and Shiva, for ex, as more of a Cosmic Mother and Father, part of Earth but not necessarily only of Earth-that's how They present to me, anyway. And the Earth is part of a greater cosmic pattern, and to me awareness and reverence for that is basically the same thing as worshipping the earth, but in the larger context. As Grym noted, we were made here, we are perfectly and divinely suited to live *here, no place else, as far as we know, without lots of special support. My primary focus, magically, is the Earth and care of it, and using the energy that is here for the good of all, to the best of my ability, b/c She is my mother and that is my role. But my focus, spiritually, is wider than that, b/c eventually reuniting with Her, in a cosmic sense, is my ultimate goal. Hope that makes sense.

Yeah that makes sense to me- thanks for answering.

I like the concept of divine personification of the earth. Sometimes that is the way I'm drawn to viewing the God and Goddess whom I worship.
For me, the Gods are both inherent of this earth, and transcend of it- the latter of which seems similiar to your 'Cosmic Mother and Father'.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 08:51:08 pm by Juniper, Reason: thought of extra point » Logged

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #77: May 17, 2008, 01:03:05 pm »

For me, the Gods are both inherent of this earth, and transcend of it- the latter of which seems similiar to your 'Cosmic Mother and Father'.

yeah, this is why I can't hang with JCI religions, they tend to concentrate solely on the cosmic and not on the microcosmic. What is in the dirt and what it does is exactly as important to me as Who made it, and why.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Grymdycche
Journeyman
Last Login:December 09, 2009, 03:42:56 pm

Religion: Aspiring Trad Witchcraft

I never speak in absolutes ..except this one

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #78: May 17, 2008, 02:28:20 pm »

yeah, this is why I can't hang with JCI religions, they tend to concentrate solely on the cosmic and not on the microcosmic. What is in the dirt and what it does is exactly as important to me as Who made it, and why.

Well put.  I read an article a while back, linked to from WitchVox, from some Christian commentator guy who, though somewhat knowledgeable (just enough to be dangerous) alluded to the "problem" with Wicca and Witchcraft" as being that practitioners make the mistake of worshiping the creation rather than the creator.

My answer would be -  There's a difference?   Tongue

Qualis vir, talis oratio
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard might not be what I meant
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #79: May 17, 2008, 05:20:27 pm »

I'm not a Christian, but my answer would still be "There's a difference." Of course, unlike Christians, I don't care who/what you worship. If you want to worship creation, that's fine and dandy with me.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #80: May 17, 2008, 06:03:33 pm »

Is there a difference between a baker and a loaf of bread?  Like Randall, I don't care who or what you worship, but I definitely see differences.

Sperran
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #81: May 17, 2008, 09:17:40 pm »

Is there a difference between a baker and a loaf of bread?  Like Randall, I don't care who or what you worship, but I definitely see differences.

Sperran

But ultimately, no, there is no difference b/w the baker and the bread, in my own view. Some find more meaning in the differences, some in the samenesses, I guess.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #82: May 17, 2008, 09:49:27 pm »

But ultimately, no, there is no difference b/w the baker and the bread, in my own view. Some find more meaning in the differences, some in the samenesses, I guess.

Remind me not to ask you for a sandwich.   Wink

Sperran
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #83: May 17, 2008, 10:01:50 pm »

Remind me not to ask you for a sandwich.   Wink

Sperran

lol....(rose munching delicious God sandwich...) mmmmm.....yummmy....you sure you don't want a bite?

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Grymdycche
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #84: May 17, 2008, 10:03:20 pm »

I'm not a Christian, but my answer would still be "There's a difference." Of course, unlike Christians, I don't care who/what you worship. If you want to worship creation, that's fine and dandy with me.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.     Wink   lol

Qualis vir, talis oratio
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard might not be what I meant
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #85: May 18, 2008, 12:44:22 pm »

Well put.  I read an article a while back, linked to from WitchVox, from some Christian commentator guy who, though somewhat knowledgeable (just enough to be dangerous) alluded to the "problem" with Wicca and Witchcraft" as being that practitioners make the mistake of worshiping the creation rather than the creator.

I do think there is a difference, but not a big one; I believe the Gods are inherent in the earth. So if I were to worship the earth, I would feel that I were also worshiping the Gods. I don't worship the earth, however, or at least I don't direct my worship towards it- I direct my worship towards the Gods themselves. But I am thankful for everything that is on and in the earth, and I do think that showing as much respect towards the earth as I possibly can is in itself is a form of worshiping the Gods.

As far as the attitude that you are describing here- that the problem with Wicca is that practitioners make the mistake of worshiping creation rather than the creator- sounds similar to something a Jehovah's Witness said to me. But my big problem with their outlook on this is that they don't see the GOOD in nature/the earth. They just see the bad. They see Satan's influence everywhere, and can't wait for the day when Jehovah's is going to say 'enough' and make the earth the paradise it was intended to be in the first place. My reaction to this is always a shocked face and the internal thought: you mean it's not a paradise now? Because when I'm sat outside with the trees, the birds, listening to the sound of the stream and loving the cool breeze on my skin: that feels like paradise to me. Ok, so the world's not perfect by any means- the suffering that goes on all over the world is awful. But I don't therefore ignore the good, and I also don't blame Satan for any of the bad.

(Sorry that this somehow turned into a bit of a rant  Huh)

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #86: May 18, 2008, 01:18:24 pm »

you mean it's not a paradise now? Because when I'm sat outside with the trees, the birds, listening to the sound of the stream and loving the cool breeze on my skin: that feels like paradise to me. Ok, so the world's not perfect by any means- the suffering that goes on all over the world is awful. But I don't therefore ignore the good, and I also don't blame Satan for any of the bad.

yes! It's the awareness of paradise being right here and now that makes life really worth living Smiley

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Grymdycche
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #87: May 18, 2008, 02:20:57 pm »

I do think there is a difference, but not a big one; I believe the Gods are inherent in the earth. So if I were to worship the earth, I would feel that I were also worshiping the Gods. I don't worship the earth, however, or at least I don't direct my worship towards it- I direct my worship towards the Gods themselves. But I am thankful for everything that is on and in the earth, and I do think that showing as much respect towards the earth as I possibly can is in itself is a form of worshiping the Gods.

As far as the attitude that you are describing here- that the problem with Wicca is that practitioners make the mistake of worshiping creation rather than the creator- sounds similar to something a Jehovah's Witness said to me. But my big problem with their outlook on this is that they don't see the GOOD in nature/the earth. They just see the bad. They see Satan's influence everywhere, and can't wait for the day when Jehovah's is going to say 'enough' and make the earth the paradise it was intended to be in the first place. My reaction to this is always a shocked face and the internal thought: you mean it's not a paradise now? Because when I'm sat outside with the trees, the birds, listening to the sound of the stream and loving the cool breeze on my skin: that feels like paradise to me. Ok, so the world's not perfect by any means- the suffering that goes on all over the world is awful. But I don't therefore ignore the good, and I also don't blame Satan for any of the bad.

(Sorry that this somehow turned into a bit of a rant  Huh)

We could call them the "Half Empty Glass people".  Wink

I should probably elaborate more on my stance, BTW - which I can't do completely, because even I'm not 100% sure what it is - I'm constantly evolving (hopefully), but I think  - maybe -  the Divine itself became it's creation;  nature, the universe, etc.. you could say "morphed" but that conjures up corny images of "Transformers" or something. (There's a bumper sticker for you:  Optimus Prime is God  Grin)   Sperran's baker and bread analogy was cute, and I understand his perspective and point, but I think in this case, the baker became the bread, so to speak, and uh.. obviously the analogy breaks down here  lol

Qualis vir, talis oratio
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #88: May 18, 2008, 05:12:22 pm »

We could call them the "Half Empty Glass people".  Wink

I should probably elaborate more on my stance, BTW - which I can't do completely, because even I'm not 100% sure what it is - I'm constantly evolving (hopefully), but I think  - maybe -  the Divine itself became it's creation;  nature, the universe, etc.. you could say "morphed" but that conjures up corny images of "Transformers" or something. (There's a bumper sticker for you:  Optimus Prime is God  Grin)   Sperran's baker and bread analogy was cute, and I understand his perspective and point, but I think in this case, the baker became the bread, so to speak, and uh.. obviously the analogy breaks down here  lol

In the Reclaiming Tradition, they use a wonderful myth about that; the Goddess sees her reflection in the curve of space, and falls in love with herself, and thus begets creation. It's very beautiful.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #89: May 18, 2008, 05:53:18 pm »

In the Reclaiming Tradition, they use a wonderful myth about that; the Goddess sees her reflection in the curve of space, and falls in love with herself, and thus begets creation. It's very beautiful.

So, creation is in the image of the Goddess? Is that what that's getting at?

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)