The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 05, 2020, 09:10:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 09:10:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sending magical messages...  (Read 8850 times)
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am
United States United States

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #15: April 03, 2007, 03:27:08 pm »

with the release valve thing, I just had the most hilarious image of someones head popping like a bike tire gone wrong.

I'm a stress cleaner as well.  Tense discussions often find me scrubbing shadows off of already clean counter tops.  I think it's more about the result for me.  If I can scry in my counters, cause there so shiny, I can go *happy place happy place happy place* and other things get less important.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Diannaskye
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 16, 2008, 05:41:18 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: April 04, 2007, 05:09:24 pm »

I'm a stress cleaner as well.  Tense discussions often find me scrubbing shadows off of already clean counter tops.  I think it's more about the result for me.  If I can scry in my counters, cause there so shiny, I can go *happy place happy place happy place* and other things get less important.

For me it's more like a 'stress thrower', as in trying to clean but just throwing stuff.

With me I usually blow up once and then not again for a long time in one situation. I'll throw things at walls, punch lockers, but usually person-to-person confrontation is just once or twice. This girl, though, she just sets me off.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! And, Breeze, it's better than school/family. They're very unhelpful.

Also, good news on this front-she's not in math with me all the time anymore. Just on Thursdays/Fridays. She spends the rest of the time with another class. I'm in grade eight. Only a few more months though!
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #17: April 04, 2007, 05:50:56 pm »

This girl, though, she just sets me off.

Sounds like it's your problem then, not hers.  Maybe you should work on yourself and not worry about 'sending her a message' or wanting 'her' to learn something.  Try controlling yourself rather than someone else - it usually works better.

It does take work, though, and more investment than simply casting a spell at someone else.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Diannaskye
Senior Apprentice
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: April 04, 2007, 07:59:25 pm »

Sounds like it's your problem then, not hers.  Maybe you should work on yourself and not worry about 'sending her a message' or wanting 'her' to learn something.  Try controlling yourself rather than someone else - it usually works better.

It does take work, though, and more investment than simply casting a spell at someone else.

Absent

She sets /everyone/ off. She's got a problem, too. Sure, I know I do, but I don't think she'd set everyone off if she didn't, too.
mytiltedworld
Apprentice
Last Login:May 17, 2007, 10:09:39 pm

Religion: agnostic?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: April 04, 2007, 09:45:27 pm »

The only way I ever have a really clean house is when I'm totally P***ed off about something or someone.  For one, I hate ... no, that deserves capital letters ... HATE housework, and I found I can really physically pour my anger into scrubbing something without the fear of that item filing assault charges.

This is very much the same way I deal with anger.  I have a screaming, throwing things and punching the walls temper, inherited from my father and really perfected in my teen years but ever since I started "keeping house" (like my grandmother called it), I've found that cleaning is the best way to calm myself down.  Not only do I get a clean house but I completely zone out and before I know it I've looked up, a little quieter in the mind and with a whole shebang of cleaning problems accomplished with what felt like very little effort.  I sometimes knit when I'm upset but it's more of a calming effect from being annoyed or anxious than truely, ragefully angry...when I'm in that state, sharp needles and string are probably not the best things to have in my hands!! Wink
Breeze
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2007, 01:46:24 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: April 05, 2007, 04:02:19 am »

I'll throw things at walls, punch lockers, but usually person-to-person confrontation is just once or twice. This girl, though, she just sets me off.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! And, Breeze, it's better than school/family. They're very unhelpful.

Also, good news on this front-she's not in math with me all the time anymore. Just on Thursdays/Fridays. She spends the rest of the time with another class. I'm in grade eight. Only a few more months though!

First of all, it's good news to hear about math class.  I'm happy for you!   Cheesy

Second, regarding my comment about the public message board responses: remember, we're not "degreed professionals" (at least I don't think so) at helping with psychological issues.  Some of us though are parents and have gone through experiences with our own kids very similar to what you describe; others might have friends/siblings who have had trouble trying to cope in this crazy world; still others remember their own feelings/experiences from when they were your age.  Too many of the so-called professionals I've had to deal with (due to issues with my sons) are so hung up on the lastest "findings" and/or "studies" and/or "methods" in their fields, they have totally lost sight of common sense.

You are up in Canada, and I don't know how the educational system works up there, but here (around Chicago) our school district went through a whole period of "feel good" education.  It didn't matter whether answers were right or wrong, as long as the kids finished up with a high self-esteem.  Now, guess what, a lot of these kids are facing real world situations ... bosses/businesses don't care whether your happy or sad, feel good or bad, agree or disagree with their policies and procedures.  You either do what they want, when they want, how they want or you're gone, end of discussion.

What I'm trying to say is, some of your "anger management issues" (a great label some Bozo came up with that's now an industry standard) probably stem from not really learning how to cope/deal with/get over disappointment and/or failure at something when you were younger.  You're not sure how to deal with the "disappointment" that not everyone you meet will not live up to your expectations of what perfect people should be, or they won't instantly love you/befriend you, etc.  We, as a society and thanks to technology, have become an "instant" mentality group ... we want everything "now", want to "have it our way" (a la Burger King), etc.  Sorry, don't want to lecture, I'm sure you get my point.

The answers for all the problems of the world, according to most of these "experts" are either "weekly or daily programs" or "meds" or a combination thereof.

If you've noticed, several of us mentioned releasing anger/frustration through cleaning/housework (which is fine for us "oldies but goodies", not someone your age) ... not through smashing glassware, stabbing a fork into our couches, etc.  I'm trying to draw an analogy to your throwing things/punching lockers.  You're releasing your anger physically, but not in a positive way.  Aside from bleeding knuckles and dented-in metal, what did you accomplish?

Maybe some of us can come up with some suggestions that would be geared to your age level to help you find a physical release.  Since I don't know what activities are available where you live (or financially what you/your family could afford), perhaps it would help if you gave us a clue what sort of interests you have.  We don't live too far from a bowling alley, and my boys used to (still do, actually) bowl when their frustration level gets too high ... nothing like using all that pent-up energy to throw a ball down the lane and watch those pins fly (and I understand they visualize the target(s) faces on those pins as they line up their shots).  Is there anywhere you can go where you can learn a physical contact sport like boxing?  If you feel the need to have to punch something, a leather, weighted bag would seem preferable to a metal locker (at least to me).

Here's a crazy one: crush aluminum cans.  My youngest son did that for awhile.  He'd walk around the neighborhood/park with a large plastic bag, picking up discarded cans (litter), bring them home and hubby put a can crusher up in the garage ... he'd spend 1/2 hour or so venting by flattening them.  Got the tension out, and once a month he'd turn them in at the local scrap metal place for a little $$$ (spending money for whatever he wanted).

"Think outside the box" ... there are lots of ways you can release all those negative emotions without drawing negative attention to yourself (my guess is your school is none too happy with your affinity to remodel the lockers).

Absent made a statement that you have to learn to deal with your problem and not worry/focus on correcting the other girl.  True, very true.  "How" you go about doing that will take effort on your part.  Like I stated before, perhaps if you can give us some ideas of things you like, interest you, make you feel good/happy, maybe we can offer some concrete suggestions to help.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 04:14:30 am by Breeze, Reason: correcting typos » Logged
Elspeth Sapphire
Co-Host
Senior Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:July 16, 2008, 10:44:04 pm

Passed Over -- 19 April 2010

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: April 05, 2007, 04:31:49 am »

I don't think there is much that I add -- everyone beat me to it.  Just remember that only the person involved can bring change to themself.  And take day by day.

Elspeth Sapphire
Diannaskye
Senior Apprentice
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: April 08, 2007, 11:14:36 pm »

First of all, it's good news to hear about math class.  I'm happy for you!   Cheesy

Second, regarding my comment about the public message board responses: remember, we're not "degreed professionals" (at least I don't think so) at helping with psychological issues.  Some of us though are parents and have gone through experiences with our own kids very similar to what you describe; others might have friends/siblings who have had trouble trying to cope in this crazy world; still others remember their own feelings/experiences from when they were your age.  Too many of the so-called professionals I've had to deal with (due to issues with my sons) are so hung up on the lastest "findings" and/or "studies" and/or "methods" in their fields, they have totally lost sight of common sense.
<snip>
What I'm trying to say is, some of your "anger management issues" (a great label some Bozo came up with that's now an industry standard) probably stem from not really learning how to cope/deal with/get over disappointment and/or failure at something when you were younger.  <snip>
"Think outside the box" ... there are lots of ways you can release all those negative emotions without drawing negative attention to yourself (my guess is your school is none too happy with your affinity to remodel the lockers).
Thanks for the advice. I think I prefer non-degreed people rather than PhDs who do nada. My  experiences with social workers and the like from school... not all that great.

Quick note-I don't expect perfection from anybody. Heck, if I met a 'perfect person' in my mind, I'd probably wonder what they had done to get themselves that way. I just really dislike gossiping people. (There's more, but I'm in no mood for that.) I learned how to cope before-but when Daddy got sick, all my 'coping' methods went to hell and just stopped working. (I still got in trouble, but it's been massively elevated since then)

Sadly, baseball leagues (my only sport (volleyball leagues don't exist here)) and martial arts lessons are out of our budget. About all I can do is write. And sometimes there's not a notebook nearby.

Don't worry, my punching lockers does very little. I rarely hurt myself and the lockers are pretty tough, so nothing happens with the school or anything.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #23: April 09, 2007, 08:49:34 am »

Thanks for the advice. I think I prefer non-degreed people rather than PhDs who do nada. My  experiences with social workers and the like from school... not all that great.

The point here, I think, is that you should not take anything anyone's saying here as professional medical psychological advice, and remember that the advice you're getting here may not be the Gospel Truth About The Way Things Work.  Wink  Which isn't to say that the advice you're getting might not be useful and accurate, just that...  we're not professionals, we're just some friends sitting around speculating about things.  You know?  Smiley  If something you hear here works for you, great, just be careful about doing anything major without talking to someone who actually has a better idea of what they're doing than we do.  We'd all hate for you to get worse, or get hurt, or anything like that, because something someone here advised you to try turned out not to be a good idea after all.  Sad

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Diannaskye
Senior Apprentice
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 09, 2007, 07:26:45 pm »

The point here, I think, is that you should not take anything anyone's saying here as professional medical psychological advice, and remember that the advice you're getting here may not be the Gospel Truth About The Way Things Work.  Wink  Which isn't to say that the advice you're getting might not be useful and accurate, just that...  we're not professionals, we're just some friends sitting around speculating about things.  You know?  Smiley  If something you hear here works for you, great, just be careful about doing anything major without talking to someone who actually has a better idea of what they're doing than we do.  We'd all hate for you to get worse, or get hurt, or anything like that, because something someone here advised you to try turned out not to be a good idea after all.  Sad

Don't worry, if you tell me to jump off a cliff I won't do it Cheesy (Unless you give me a parachute first.)
Sir Oracle
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 23, 2014, 04:51:11 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Chaos Magician/ Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: April 11, 2007, 07:24:12 am »

to answer the original question, could you not just use magic to get rid of her, or at least make sure that you never run into each other? that strikes me as a lot easier than trying to send her a magical message

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)