The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 01, 2021, 10:30:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2021, 10:30:37 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wicca 404: Advanced Goddess Thealogy  (Read 13325 times)
RozLouise
Last Login:May 03, 2008, 02:48:49 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 02, 2008, 08:39:38 pm »

Wicca 404: Advanced Goddess Thealogy by Esra Free

I just finished reading this book and it has made a big difference for me. This book is all about theory...or rather theary, behind wicca beliefs. And as the author confesses, it may be a little controversial for those who are very by-the-book traditional wicca. I found it extremely refreshing, and for me, was able to put the 'reason' back into following a spiritual life. Esra's book is how I found these forums, I was so inspired...I wondered if there was a way to contact her or at least talk to others who have read her book. She has a few articles here on this site, and it seems to be a large active community here on the forums, I figured this was a good place to start.

Has anyone else read this book? What do you think?

A little personal background...
For the past few years, I was pretty inactive with my own spirituality. In high school, I found out about Wicca, and for a year or so I practiced it in the normal 'teen-newbie' ways (bought the "fluffy" books, started a book of shadows, got a bunch of candles, ect...). It was great at first, starting a new relationship with different way of looking at the world. But then I started to realize that most of my 'workings' I was just going through the motions with out feeling a ton of connection to what I was doing. And I think I just got bored with it...then college started and I didn't have a good place to practice so I just stopped. But I still held a pagan belief...I just packed it away in the back of my mind and let other things take my attention.

Fast forward...I'm two years out of college, moved out, working, completely independent. I've started to look for that spiritual connection again. I just know that whatever I do, it shouldn't feel like a chore. So I've concluded to myself that if we humans were meant to have a connection with the divine...we should be able to find it on our own with the 6 senses we were given. That is my basis, and I started to form other personal beliefs on how I thought things might be, and it's been a good re-start down the path. Then two weeks ago, I get an email from Amazon.com with a list of book suggestions and this book Wicca 404 book came up and got my attention. I was amazed while reading this book because it followed EXACTLY the spiritual theories I had started on my own, and expanded on those theories. So maybe Wicca is the right choice for me, but those '101' books alone we're not getting me to a place where a felt a true connection. (I'm sure thats a big "duh" from some of you more experienced practitioners)

Anyway, I highly recommend this book. Its a short read, with lots of thought provoking material. My only criticism about the book is that its full of very long run-on sentences...and sometimes its hard to follow on the first read though.

~Roz~

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: May 03, 2008, 04:08:48 am »

I just finished reading this book and it has made a big difference for me. This book is all about theory...or rather theary,

'Theary'?

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: May 03, 2008, 06:58:02 am »

'Theary'?

oh, because everyone KNOWS that theOry is just that awful patriarchal etc. etc.

stop inflicting your Os on us! Tongue  *runs*

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #3: May 03, 2008, 07:42:51 am »

oh, because everyone KNOWS that theOry is just that awful patriarchal etc. etc.

stop inflicting your Os on us! Tongue  *runs*

(*rolf* Yes, and we don't give a damn about the real etymology of a word - oh I mean etymalagy *runs same direction as shadow*)

The word theory comes from the greek word theoría which means insight, consideration - so I really don't know what to think about a book/author that massacres words in that way...until of course she intended something special by creating that word and explained that in her book.

Still doesn't sound like a book I would care to buy after reading the reviews on amazon. But then I'm not wicca. So I can't judge if it is of any worth.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: May 03, 2008, 07:46:40 am »

The word theory comes from the greek word theoría which means insight, consideration - so I really don't know what to think about a book/author that massacres words in that way...until of course she intended something special by creating that word and explained that in her book.

I haven't read it, so I can't say for sure, but I would guess she's looking at "theory" and picking out the Latin root "theo" (as in theology), and replacing it with "thea".  I've seen that done somewhere with "theology" ("thealogy")--and don't agree with it there either, incidentally.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #5: May 03, 2008, 07:52:02 am »

I haven't read it, so I can't say for sure, but I would guess she's looking at "theory" and picking out the Latin root "theo" (as in theology), and replacing it with "thea".  I've seen that done somewhere with "theology" ("thealogy")--and don't agree with it there either, incidentally.

Yes, I guess that was the her reason.
I don't like such word...creativity either. In german the moon is a male word, because the old moon deity was male and the sun is a female word because the old sun deity was female. I always wince when somebody is saying 'die Mondin' (-in being often a female ending) just to make the word female *shudders*

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 03, 2008, 08:03:51 am »

Yes, I guess that was the her reason.
I don't like such word...creativity either. In german the moon is a male word, because the old moon deity was male and the sun is a female word because the old sun deity was female. I always wince when somebody is saying 'die Mondin' (-in being often a female ending) just to make the word female *shudders*
Gee, I never got scratches by calling a male cat 'die Katze' (general term for both sexes, but grammatically female), so why should the moon mind?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 03, 2008, 08:04:39 am »

So... what's the Latin root "thea"? Or is it just a feminization of "theo"? Somehow I have a feeling it's not nearly as interesting a word construction as I think it is, and it's just a feminization.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: May 03, 2008, 08:09:47 am »

In german the moon is a male word, because the old moon deity was male and the sun is a female word because the old sun deity was female. I always wince when somebody is saying 'die Mondin' (-in being often a female ending) just to make the word female *shudders*

According to many bad Pagan 101 books, the moon deity is ALWAYS female and the sun deity is ALWAYS male in ALL cultures throughout the world and in all eras of history. Reality is NOT allowed to intrude on this TRUTH. Roll Eyes

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #9: May 03, 2008, 08:35:43 am »

According to many bad Pagan 101 books, the moon deity is ALWAYS female and the sun deity is ALWAYS male in ALL cultures throughout the world and in all eras of history. Reality is NOT allowed to intrude on this TRUTH. Roll Eyes

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: May 03, 2008, 12:09:40 pm »

* doesn't know if he should  Grin or Angry *

It should also be noted that the Germanic/Norse groups are not the only one with male moon and female sun.  In the Egyptian Pantheon all of the solar and lunar deities are male (or at least the ones considered to be the actual sun and moon.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong) and the Japanese sun deity is female (not sure about the moon deity).

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: May 03, 2008, 12:56:01 pm »

....and the Japanese sun deity is female (not sure about the moon deity).

The Japanese moon deity is male (Tsuki-yomi). He is the brother of the sun goddess.  And you are right, male moon deities are actually relatively common as even a little research will show. This proves yet again that many Pagan 101 book authors really don't do any fact checking on their claims.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 03, 2008, 01:08:26 pm »

I detest people messing with grammar and etymology more than I can say, but "thealogy" never really bothered me, as long as it was referring to the study of goddesses and goddess worship.  Now "Herstory" OTOH, is guaranteed to send me through the roof. 

I'm currently reading Drawing Down the Moon - which I've really enjoyed to this point.  The chapter on feminism and goddess worship, however, with Z Budapest and all her "wimmin"s and "womon"s, is making me spar.  It's been tough to get through, to say the least.  A double shame, since there's a lot of interesting information in that chapter.

I had assumed the OP was using "theary" in a tongue-in-cheek way.
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 03, 2008, 01:10:08 pm »

* doesn't know if he should  Grin or Angry *

It should also be noted that the Germanic/Norse groups are not the only one with male moon and female sun.  In the Egyptian Pantheon all of the solar and lunar deities are male (or at least the ones considered to be the actual sun and moon.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong) and the Japanese sun deity is female (not sure about the moon deity).
Sin is another moon god.  Babylonian?  Sumerian?  Akkadian?  I get all those early cultures confused.

Lot of exceptions to that "rule."
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: May 03, 2008, 01:18:01 pm »

Sin is another moon god.  Babylonian?  Sumerian?  Akkadian?  I get all those early cultures confused.

A quick search tells me that Sin is a Sumerian God.

Lot of exceptions to that "rule."

To tell the truth, the only pantheons I can think of where the sun=male and the moon=female are the Greek and Roman ones.  AFAIK, Wicca is more influenced by the Celts so is the male sun and female moon in that culture as well?  I mean, I vaguely recall a male solar deity, but what about female?

As another note, according to the Egyptians, the Earth is male and the sky is female.  Just trying poke holes in another deity misconception found in 101 books.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)