The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 26, 2021, 03:47:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 26, 2021, 03:47:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wicca 404: Advanced Goddess Thealogy  (Read 12579 times)
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #45: May 08, 2008, 10:06:15 am »

I've read fanfic too in my trekkie-phase, to be honest, I've written some, heterosexual though *cough*.

To be fair, the stories I was referring to are not explicit at all. Now, the stuff I've written, on the other hand ...

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #46: May 08, 2008, 10:17:04 pm »

Not sure if you'll like that source, but Peter David uses the same pronouns in his Star Trek - New Frontier novels. He has a hermaphrodite character in them. But I've no idea where he has the pronouns or the idea from.
That series postdates my construction by about 5 years.  'Course, he may have been using the system in other, earlier books as well.  It's possible his source eventually traces back to me; I was using them on the CitadelNet (a non-InterNet computer network, back in the day when the Internet wasn't the only network) and quite a few folks liked them and took to using them as well - or he could have got them elsewhere, or come up with them himself.  They seem to me to be sufficiently obvious constructions that independent invention is perfectly possible; I've just never run across evidence of it that stood up under scrutiny.

About 75% of the times when someone has said to me, "Oh, I've seen that system before," it's turned out that what they mean is, they've seen the idea of gender-neutral singular pronouns, and aren't making a distinction between different specific systems, or are supposing that a single shared term means the systems are the same.  So I've learned to double-check even with people I think of as quite reliable (like you!):  are you certain all David's pronouns match mine?

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #47: May 08, 2008, 10:29:21 pm »

There's also the zie/zir variant, which I like quite a bit.

There's a bunch of other variants listed in the Wikipedia article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender-neutral_pronoun - many of which I've never seen in action (and I spend time in areas where gender neutral pronouns are not uncommon.)
Yep, I've seen a number of archives recording a whole bunch of different systems (I think I may have found them by following the external links in the Wikipedia article) - I was poking into the subject only a few months back.

I've taken to using my system for "unknown person of unknown gender", while favoring zie/zir for a specific person of indeterminate or nonstandard gender, since many genderqueer folks seem to prefer the latter - a different set of pronouns for each really isn't necessary, but I like the nuance made possible by distinguishing between the two.

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #48: May 09, 2008, 02:49:33 am »

So I've learned to double-check even with people I think of as quite reliable (like you!)
Thanks. *blush*

are you certain all David's pronouns match mine?
No, I haven't read him since a while. I just thought you might be interested in knowing where something like this turns up (though SciFi in general isn't too hard a guess). If you're interested in researching how he uses them and where he got the idea I think there's loads of info and reviews on the net as he's one of the popular Star Trek authors (and there's lots of fan info about ST on the net in general).

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #49: May 11, 2008, 01:48:18 am »

No, I haven't read him since a while. I just thought you might be interested in knowing where something like this turns up (though SciFi in general isn't too hard a guess). If you're interested in researching how he uses them and where he got the idea I think there's loads of info and reviews on the net as he's one of the popular Star Trek authors (and there's lots of fan info about ST on the net in general).
<chuckle> And that's exactly how it happens, and why it can happen that way with otherwise-reliable people.

You're right that I was interested in knowing about it, especially since he's not a source anyone has mentioned before, but I don't think I'm interested enough to research it in detail - it sounds like something I'd have to read a lot of other info to find the relevant bits.  Still, yes, I'm glad you mentioned it.

Sunflower

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #50: May 14, 2008, 07:50:44 am »

Still, yes, I'm glad you mentioned it.
Glad it wasn't a complete shot into the blue. I'll come back to this if I happen to find out more about it, but at the moment I have no time for Star Trek.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)