The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 18, 2020, 03:34:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 03:34:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Flame Tenders  (Read 4721 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: April 01, 2007, 10:16:44 pm »

During this evening's Cill chat, Sparrow asked if anyone knew anything about the women who tended Brighid's flame in pre-Christian times, specifically if they were virgins.  I offered to check my resources.

In my not-completely-exhaustive search, I've found numerous references to the Christian practice of nuns (presumably virgin) tending St. Brigit's flame in Kildare, including several references to the supposition that this practice was a carry-over from a pagan practice.

However, the closest I've gotten to anything specifying a pagan practice of tending a flame to honor the goddess Brighid is in The Rites of Brigid: Goddess and Saint, by Sean O Duinn.  On page 65, the author quotes De Vries in discussing Brighid's likenesses to Minerva, and posits that Brighid and Sul (aka Sulis) are the same goddess.

In this regard, it must be remembered that the goddess "Sul" worshipped at Bath is assimilated to Minerva by Solinus who says that she is a goddess of springs, that is of thermal wells.  In her temple a perpetual fire burned.  This brings to mind Vesta the Roman goddess of the hearth, but also the Irish goddess Brigit.  The name "Sul" must mean "sun".

Tenuous, I know.  But that's the closest reference I've found so far of a perpetual flame linked in any way with the pagan goddess Brighid, rather than the Christian St. Brigit.

Does anyone have any other sources?

Thanks.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Sparrow
Journeyman
Last Login:October 26, 2014, 09:01:14 am
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 02, 2007, 02:04:52 pm »

During this evening's Cill chat, Sparrow asked if anyone knew anything about the women who tended Brighid's flame in pre-Christian times, specifically if they were virgins.  I offered to check my resources.

In my not-completely-exhaustive search, I've found numerous references to the Christian practice of nuns (presumably virgin) tending St. Brigit's flame in Kildare, including several references to the supposition that this practice was a carry-over from a pagan practice.

However, the closest I've gotten to anything specifying a pagan practice of tending a flame to honor the goddess Brighid is in The Rites of Brigid: Goddess and Saint, by Sean O Duinn.  On page 65, the author quotes De Vries in discussing Brighid's likenesses to Minerva, and posits that Brighid and Sul (aka Sulis) are the same goddess.

Tenuous, I know.  But that's the closest reference I've found so far of a perpetual flame linked in any way with the pagan goddess Brighid, rather than the Christian St. Brigit.

Does anyone have any other sources?

Thanks.

Celtic Gods and Goddesses by R.J. Stewart goes into that in the chapter Brighid/Minerva on pages 93-97.

Page 99 of the same book mentioning virgins and Brighid says 
originally this festival of a goddess at spring and in the procession of virgins would have led to a ritual mating ceremony, to bring new souls into the community. Even today certain folk ceremonies have a powerful undercurrent of sexualityand fertility.
Not specifically about flamekeeping and doesn't say that the practice was pre-christian.

I was just curious to know if the practice of only "pure" women tending the flame came from pre christian sources. I haven't come across anything that indicated that it did, but I haven't read the volume of material you have.

For some of us pure of heart will have to do  Cheesy
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 02, 2007, 07:58:35 pm »

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the original idea of virgin priestesses meant unmarried, which is not necessarily virginal. But like most things I recall reading, I can't remember where I read it.  Undecided

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
phoukamare
Master Member
Last Login:May 12, 2009, 10:56:35 pm

Religion: Irish pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 02, 2007, 08:04:32 pm »

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the original idea of virgin priestesses meant unmarried, which is not necessarily virginal. But like most things I recall reading, I can't remember where I read it.  Undecided

Karen

I have no idea where I read this, but at sometime in the last 30 years I read something (probably a pagan resource) that maiden meant never having had a child (not virgin, necessarily) and that virgin meant not yet sexually active. Again, this factoid has popped up and I have NO idea where I read it. But it does make sense to me. Which is why I probably rememered it.

Also, I don't remember reading that Brighit's priestesses (this is definitely pagan) were 'virgin', just priestesses. Now Saint Brighit's were ALWAYS nuns. So, virginal fer sure!

Phouka

edited to remove an extra Phouka
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: April 02, 2007, 08:06:19 pm »

But like most things I recall reading, I can't remember where I read it.  Undecided

Yeah, this whole thing is making me think I need to undertake the massive project of going back through all my materials and indexing them somehow, so I can find all this stuff.

Or maybe write a book...or at least a long essay Wink

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 02, 2007, 08:27:10 pm »

LOL... at least I have the cojones to actually admit I don't remember the source of something, rather than just making something up to sound smart and totally blowing smoke out my butt...  Grin

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 02, 2007, 11:23:08 pm »

Karen

I also have no idea where I came across this idea, but I've heard the idea of "virgin" = "whole and complete unto oneself".

SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: April 03, 2007, 12:44:40 am »

I also have no idea where I came across this idea, but I've heard the idea of "virgin" = "whole and complete unto oneself".
Most of my direct sources for that (in its various phrasings) were oral - that is, individuals of my acquaintance.  Well, to be exact, women (sometimes, "womyn") of my acquaintance.  I can guess, but don't know specifically, that their sources were probably folks like Merlin Stone, Mary Daly, and the like.

Now, just because the feminist Goddess-spirituality contingent was all over that one, doesn't mean that no academically-sound source has never presented a case for "virgin" having had such a meaning at one time.  Certainly there were cultures in which women could, in fact, belong to themselves rather than having to belong to some man - I'm reminded of what the Briton "tribal queen" said to the Roman matron (something about Briton women being free to consort with the best men in public, while Roman women consorted with the worst ones in secret) which I think comes from contemporary Roman sources - but for the word "virgin" itself, one should look only to cultures where that word was part of the language (i.e. Latin [IIRC], and later languages that inherited it from Latin).  Other words in other languages apply only to their own cultures, and can't be identically equivalent; something is always lost in translation.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)