The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 26, 2022, 05:29:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2022, 05:29:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Possibilities?  (Read 9696 times)
Cent
Master Member
Last Login:May 01, 2011, 05:10:44 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Of the Earth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: May 08, 2008, 08:39:48 am »

Last Summer (Late June to mid-July?) I began studying the craft. At about the same time, I started having these... experiences (for lack of a better word...). The first one was when I was playing the card game "Rook" with my mom. I remember that she won the first round, and then she shuffled and re-dealt the cards. In my family, it's courtesy to wait until the dealer is done dealing to pick up the cards. But, before I had even picked up the cards, I knew that I had the Rook.

The second time was about two months ago. I was getting ready for school when a song popped into my head. I had only heard the song a few times before, and didn't particularly care for it, so it was kind of weird. When I started the car, the song immediately started playing. I was just like, "Oh.. That's cool... I guess..."

The third one happened last Monday. I was in Spanish class. My teacher would call on people to conjugate a verb and have them create a sentence with it. I looked at the list of verbs and knew the exact one that I would have (It was "hacer"- to make/to do), so I went ahead and wrote my sentence. (It was something like "El hizo un avion del papel"- He made a paper airplane.)

What I've noticed about these is that they are: 1) Short term. As in after I get one "experience," it actually happens within a few minutes. 2) Kind of pointless (or so it seems to me...)

I was just wondering what was going on and if might be possible to somehow develop them so that I could get long term "experiences"?

Starting to have "experiences" as you put it, could be knowings. *you haven't mentioned How you think you receive*

These small experiences may be an opening of awareness. It can allow the mind to see and accept possibilities allowing for growth.
Pushing the mind outside the box it is in, allowing portals/doors/windows... to open. IMO, almost always a good thing.

I wouldn't go along with just a coincidence just yet, dismissing them. Keep a journal on these. Not just the event itself but what else you sense. If these keep happening try to zone in on the experience itself rather than watching it play out. Was there something before the knowing what was about to happen? There is always (imo) a chain of manifestation that cause reaction before hand, during and after.
Learning to feel/see/or sense these chains of manifestation, allows growth and control on many levels.

What you call short term, I call real time, real space on the mundane level.
Pointless? I've found that to be far from the truth. You can think of it in many ways. Training/practicing, strengthen an ability. Learning control and awareness of how/what/where/when... the list is long. In my book anyways. *smiles*
An example that I find useful would be, hmm, like seeing my niece trip before she does. Knowing what she was going to trip on, allowed me to speak up. "Careful E don't trip on the log." Now she's young and wouldn't have fallen right down to the ground, but she is a "Budgirl" (Bud Beer)and her legs are part of her livelihood. If it were an elderly person it would save a lot of pain.

There are many ways to develop abilities SethR. The Craft may have allowed the thought of possibilities but I've had abilities long before I took up the craft. So I see things more.. mechanical than magickal where abilities are concerned. Though abilities are Very useful in the Craft.

I hope you do some study and practice... to at least see if there is a possibility that growth will happen in this area.
It may or not be your thing. *smiles* But things like this are worth investigating to be sure. You never know unless you try. Wink

Energy Follows Attention

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #16: May 08, 2008, 08:49:10 am »

I wouldn't go along with just a coincidence just yet, dismissing them. Keep a journal on these.

I would suggest that if one is going to do this, it's probably important to try to notice and record failed premonitions as well, not just the ones that come true.  That should help give a sense of how common premonitions that come true really are in the OP's life, which in turn would help discover whether it's just getting lucky every once in a while or whether it really is more than that.  And even if it turns out not to be coincidence (which I doubt, personally, but you never know), recording failures as well as successes may help the OP get a better feel for what a "true" prediction feels like as opposed to something that's just a hunch with nothing else behind it.

An example that I find useful would be, hmm, like seeing my niece trip before she does. Knowing what she was going to trip on, allowed me to speak up. "Careful E don't trip on the log."

That doesn't seem, to me, to require premonition.  You see her not paying attention to where she's putting her feet, you see the obstacle in her way, the logical conclusion is that she is in danger of tripping.  You may not consciously go through those steps to get from point A to point B, but that doesn't make it premonition.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Cent
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: May 08, 2008, 09:10:58 am »

I would suggest that if one is going to do this, it's probably important to try to notice and record failed premonitions as well, not just the ones that come true.  That should help give a sense of how common premonitions that come true ...*snip*... better feel for what a "true" prediction feels like as opposed to something that's just a hunch with nothing else behind it.

That doesn't seem, to me, to require premonition.  You see her not paying attention to where she's putting her feet, you see the obstacle in her way, the logical conclusion is that she is in danger of tripping.  You may not consciously go through those steps to get from point A to point B, but that doesn't make it premonition.

Yes failed and successful are important to log. No doubt there.

I felt no need to go into a full tale of my niece premonition. But I will since it was mentioned.
I had no way of knowing it would happen other than see it like a mini movie in my mind. I have 5 sisters and when the family gathers up at my parents there are many ppl moving around. I was sitting talking with my husband when it came in. I voiced what I was seeing. He's use to it and often asks What? *I must get a duh look* no really, I tend to lean to the left and look down with a blank stare.

As soon as I mentioned E's name he was looking around for her. When the premonition was almost played out, (including me voicing to her to be careful) My husband said, "she is getting up" I turned and watched her move towards the beach and when she came close to the spot, I voiced.

That's it. Nothing special. Took more time to type it out than the minute of time it took to play out.
And yes watching her get close to the spot, anyone that was paying attention would see the danger.

Energy Follows Attention
Cent
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: May 08, 2008, 09:14:55 am »

That's it. Nothing special. Took more time to type it out than the minute of time it took to play out.
And yes watching her get close to the spot, anyone that was paying attention would see the danger.

*grins* course hard to say if she would have tripped in the first place. Whether I said something or not.
Though she wasn't paying attention, drinking some and laughing and talking to the ppl she was going over to see.

Energy Follows Attention
tigerlily717
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2010, 01:07:27 pm

Religion: witch

ThinkPositively LiveIntentionally LoveGenerously

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: May 11, 2008, 12:58:50 am »

I just don't think that seeing, for example, a couple of birds on such and such a tree means anything in particular.
Sometimes it may not mean anything in particular, but there are times that it does.

A simple example:  Most mornings, I eat breakfast in the car on the way to work. I bring a plastic storage container, eat while my husband drives, and then leave the container with the cover on, in the car, and retrieve it when we get home.  I would have never thought to bring it to work with me.  Until one day I got this overwhelming desire to bring it to work empty.  Because I have had these intuitive moment before, I decided to listen to myself, and brought it with me.  At some point in the day, someone dropped my container out of the fridge and put it back, obviously thinking it was okay, but it had cracked and started slowly leaking(soup).  Had I not had another container to put it in, I would have had to throw it out.

Now, considering I'd never before had the desire to bring empty rubbermaid to work, and had never before even seen a broken tupperware(those things are hard as hell to break), and seemed even logically/rationally strange to carry it around all day till lunch, but wouldn't feel "right" to leave it this time...I'd say that kinda falls into the category of premonitions.  Though it is maybe not THE BIG ONE yet, who knows, I might need that ability for more important things in the future.  And so I remembered that feeling, and kept an eye out for it again, and I have these moments more often now.  And they have been very useful, even if just for the simple things.  And maybe one day I will need this muscle to be stronger, for that BIG ONE moment, and honing it makes it that way.
SethR
Apprentice
Last Login:February 27, 2011, 10:09:50 am

Religion: Eclectic

Blessed Be

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: May 12, 2008, 12:53:57 pm »

Starting to have "experiences" as you put it, could be knowings. *you haven't mentioned How you think you receive*

These small experiences may be an opening of awareness. It can allow the mind to see and accept possibilities allowing for growth.
Pushing the mind outside the box it is in, allowing portals/doors/windows... to open. IMO, almost always a good thing.

I wouldn't go along with just a coincidence just yet, dismissing them. Keep a journal on these. Not just the event itself but what else you sense. If these keep happening try to zone in on the experience itself rather than watching it play out. Was there something before the knowing what was about to happen? There is always (imo) a chain of manifestation that cause reaction before hand, during and after.
Learning to feel/see/or sense these chains of manifestation, allows growth and control on many levels.

What you call short term, I call real time, real space on the mundane level.
Pointless? I've found that to be far from the truth. You can think of it in many ways. Training/practicing, strengthen an ability. Learning control and awareness of how/what/where/when... the list is long. In my book anyways. *smiles*
An example that I find useful would be, hmm, like seeing my niece trip before she does. Knowing what she was going to trip on, allowed me to speak up. "Careful E don't trip on the log." Now she's young and wouldn't have fallen right down to the ground, but she is a "Budgirl" (Bud Beer)and her legs are part of her livelihood. If it were an elderly person it would save a lot of pain.

There are many ways to develop abilities SethR. The Craft may have allowed the thought of possibilities but I've had abilities long before I took up the craft. So I see things more.. mechanical than magickal where abilities are concerned. Though abilities are Very useful in the Craft.

I hope you do some study and practice... to at least see if there is a possibility that growth will happen in this area.
It may or not be your thing. *smiles* But things like this are worth investigating to be sure. You never know unless you try. Wink

Thanks! All of this was very helpful... I'm by no means claiming to be psychic of anything else.... Oh, and the way it happens to me... I just know. There's not a mini movie or anything. Which would be awesome, but... No... =)

Live, Laugh, Love
Cent
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: May 13, 2008, 08:17:42 pm »

Sometimes it may not mean anything in particular, but there are times that it does.

*snip*..  Though it is maybe not THE BIG ONE yet, who knows, I might need that ability for more important things in the future.  And so I remembered that feeling, and kept an eye out for it again, and I have these moments more often now.  And they have been very useful, even if just for the simple things.  And maybe one day I will need this muscle to be stronger, for that BIG ONE moment, and honing it makes it that way.

Nods ya... when there is an awareness of such, occurances become more frequent.. or is it we are just paying attention more and noting it?
This muscle to be stronger.  Smiley How I see it too, it is very much like a muscle, the more you use it, the stronger and more developed it gets.

Thanks! All of this was very helpful... I'm by no means claiming to be psychic of anything else.... Oh, and the way it happens to me... I just know. There's not a mini movie or anything. Which would be awesome, but... No... =)

Psychic? eep ... like Visions are words I don't use much even though they do discribe well. I prefer to use words such as, images, mini movies and knowings. Psychic and Visions have a hokey feel to them and conjour up ideas of the con artist at the local fair.*not that all.. are con artist*

You just know... hmmm. Yes I use to say.. I just See it, then the emotion and knowing come. At least that's how I use to think it worked. *for me anyways* Until a number of working and practicing brought out control in the speed in which it happens.
If your not a visual person, graduating to moving images from still ones may take more practice but I believe everyone has the ability to some extent. Working with it can strengthen it.

Anyways... I first started to realise there where "steps" so to speak as things came in. *incomings as I call them* I was having trouble with images overwhelming me. Hitting hard, placing themselves in my forehead causing me to feel.... held/no control as they played out. So I was being instructed how to sense before they came in, slow them down and prevent them from taking over like that.
It was then that I realised they didn't just Appear in my mind, they moved towards me. I began to slow them down as they moved in, block them from entering and view them from arms length.
I began to see that the images were coming to me.. as thought is energy and travels. A channel/thread behind it from where it came from.
Which adds a host of other... things to practice and explore. Like tracking, stepping into the image and move through the channel in order to AP to where it comes from.

But I still felt the Chain of events I did not have right. So a memory of mine was retold to me, just like it happened. Which opened up more.
As told to me....

Remember back when your children were small. At the dinner table you were feeding the baby and had your back turned to your youngest son.
You had a knowing that he was gonna ping a meatball at his older brother, and you said his name in a long drawn out way of warning.
Then you had the image play in your mind of him doing it. You voiced, "Do not ping that meatball T".
As you turned around and looked at him, he had the meatball in fork and about to ping it at his brother.
He looked at you and asked, "how did you know mom?"

At which time.. I was asked... So.. How did you know Cent?
*one of those Eureka moments* The feeling came first, then the knowing came, then the image played in my mind.
I now understood and could see the time frames/the steps in which info was sent or received by me.
Here I had always relied on waiting for the image to play to gain understanding, and yet the knowing came first. I no longer had to Wait for the image to play out.

I see many things as pieces that come together to create a whole.
What I describe may not be how it works for others but may give a.. broader sense to possibilities.

You may want to practice with playing cards SethR. My youngest sister was good at guessing cards when she was a child.
I went through a similar convo with her, and she started knowing And seeing the card after practicing the Possibility.

Energy Follows Attention
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #22: May 14, 2008, 10:48:02 pm »

I still don't follow your point.  If there's no meaning to the things that the OP is noticing, and the things that are being noticed are not in themselves important, what value is there?  Besides, encouragement tends to have to come from something or someone.  Generally someone.  If the OP is just noticing completely random items, where does encouragement come into it?

the gods...guardian angels...nowhere...whatever suits you best.

My experience with this, when I was young and developing my psy. skills, is that, much as EF is saying, the more you use them and are open to them, the more stuff appears. It may very well go away again for awhile too. But I think the most important thing is to get to a place where you *really trust your intuition, and that comes with practice and experience and time time time. There is no substitute, in any religion or spiritual practice, for learning to totally trust your gut, your heart, and your Higher Self.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: May 15, 2008, 01:35:55 am »

the gods...guardian angels...nowhere...whatever suits you best.

My experience with this, when I was young and developing my psy. skills, is that, much as EF is saying, the more you use them and are open to them, the more stuff appears.

I think you're putting somewhat of a different accent on what I said than I intended.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #24: May 15, 2008, 07:54:35 pm »

I think you're putting somewhat of a different accent on what I said than I intended.

well, I think what you are saying, and please, correct me if I am wrong, is that the more you look for the pattern, the more you train your mind to see it, and so it's not coming from anywhere else; to think that it is is an illusion. And to the extent that it is a pattern that our minds create for us, and the way we are able to perceive it is, ultimately, an illusion, I agree. But I don't believe that *because the patterns we perceive are in and of themselves self-created illusions, they aren't real in their own way, it's just that my ability to make sense of those patterns is limited by my own psychospiritual development at any given point. In the same way, for ex. that a baby hasn't got a clue what you are talking about when you say "come on honey, let's go to the park!", but does perceive from your tone, and the other stuff that is happening that likely something good is going to happen soon. 'course the baby may be wrong, you might be taking her to the dr. to get her 18 month shots or something, but she's doing her best, and working with what she's got. I feel the same way about my connection to the Divine. And like a baby, I grow in experience and my ability to interpret what I perceive grows in complexity and sophistication. Over quite a few lifetimes, you can get pretty good at it, in my personal belief.

We have to use our imaginations, we have to interpret what we get from the patterns we perceive as best we can. We make mistakes, and if we are lucky we learn from them. In my own experience, my ability to be present to the Divine and how It communicates grows and changes over time. And all I have to go on of course is my own UPG, that's true, but I have also witnessed change and growth in my life and made really good decisions b/c I have attended to those patterns I see, however obscurely.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: May 16, 2008, 01:48:52 am »

well, I think what you are saying, and please, correct me if I am wrong, is that the more you look for the pattern, the more you train your mind to see it, and so it's not coming from anywhere else; to think that it is is an illusion. And to the extent that it is a pattern that our minds create for us, and the way we are able to perceive it is, ultimately, an illusion, I agree.

That's fine.  Where I took issue with your last post was where it looked like you were saying that I was all on board with the 'train your psychic skills to get omens!' crowd.  How you state my position here seems clearer, thank you. Smiley  Of course, we're going to disagree on whether the percieved pattern exists or not. Wink

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #26: May 16, 2008, 09:42:09 am »

Where I took issue with your last post was where it looked like you were saying that I was all on board with the 'train your psychic skills to get omens!' crowd.

lol...dude, I would *never say that about you! Wink

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)