The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 23, 2021, 07:31:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2021, 07:31:33 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Experimentation and Magic  (Read 13145 times)
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: April 02, 2007, 08:01:27 am »

While experimentation isn't exclusive to chaos magic, I do find that Chaos magic tends to encourage experimentation in its practitioners.  However, this question *is* open to all magical practitioners.

What has been the most interesting magical experiment you carried out (ie, where you tested a new idea, or tested a variant of a working model, etc)?  It doesn't have to be your greatest succcess (although success is usually nice), just the most interesting experience/ lesson that you would like to share.  What did you do?  What happened?  Would you do it again?   Do you regret having tried it?

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 02, 2007, 08:07:10 am »

What has been the most interesting magical experiment you carried out (ie, where you tested a new idea, or tested a variant of a working model, etc)?

To answer my own question, I once decided to see what would happen if I mixed rituals from three different sources (although the paradigms themselves were not combined).  On halloween (or thereabouts) 2002, on a full moon, I opened up with a fluffy-eclectic wicca style circle casting, followed by some banishings from ceremonial magic, and finished up with a chaos vortex ritual (my own stripped down version of a ritual available on the web).

I found that the amount of energy raised was absurd.  I also learned that I should probably have a plan for what to do with energy - I'd done this battery of rituals to see what happened, without any particular plan for what to do beyond that.  I ended up having to ground it all as it was too much.  Plus I got a sense of seeing many shadowy figures in the room, but outside the circle, although these figures did nothing, and soon departed.  However, it was interesting.  While I have combined ceremonial banishings and the vortex since then, I've never done quite what I did that night.  I don't regret having done it, and it was fun to share the story with a friend the other day.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm
United States United States

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 02, 2007, 11:40:38 am »

I've done a Shamanic journey or three with no other purpose than to commune with my gods.  (For those who know anything about shamanic practices, it was an Upper World journey).  Also, on equinox I tried to invoke the forces of chaos and nudge them towards positive change without any other guidance.  I don't know whether they went with the nudge, but I know that they were amused.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
magicklynxx
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 18, 2009, 12:36:06 pm

Religion: Pagan

What if?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 03, 2007, 08:50:47 pm »

One of the interesting experiments I tried was automatic writing through typing on a computer.  I started out by typing out a passage I knew by heart (The Preamble of the Constitution, not that it matters) and then just let my fingers go into automatic.  I then turned the attention of my eyes to something else.  My friend and I carried on a conversation for about 30 minutes as I typed.  She didn't ask me what I was doing, except to say that she wished she could type as fast as I could.  I looked back at the screen and I read what I had written.  There were three different messages from separate entities.  One was from what I believe was a child who was smothered to death by her mother, another was an ancient soldier (Greek or Roman, I think?) who had died in battle at a very young age (15 or 16, I think.) He described how he died and how his death had meant victory for his people.  Another was from the father of a friend I've known since High School.  I delivered the message to my friend, and he told me that the words were something that he really needed to hear at that time. 

I've been interested in automatic writing since I was a child, and I had always tried to do it with paper and pen, but with no success... usually ends up being illegible.  The automatic typing was filled with typos, but it was discernable. 

Another experiment I did was with charging a wand with a crystal formation.  I placed the wand on an altar and started arranging stones around it.  First, quartz crystals pointing towards the shaft, double terminated crystals set parallell to the shaft, an amethyst pointing at the base of the wand and from the tip, and then several tumbled stones arranged according to the colors of the spectrum around the wand.  Then I placed my hand over this arrangement and began to pull energy into the formation up towards the tip of the wand.  I did successfully charge the wand to my liking, but what I didn't count on was that my SO was standing behind the amethyst at the base of the wand and nearly passed out.  It drew from his energy.  Since then, I have found that behind the amethyst, I need a really good energy source to draw on, and not just draw it willy nilly. 

Another experiment was from when I was teaching.  The student was not a raw newbie, so I took him pathwalking.  This particular journey is called Lake of Stars, and involves walking onto a glassy lake reflecting a starry sky and then removing the lake.  The effect is a feeling of floating in space.  Well, the cat kept interfering with us, so I left the guy laying there on the floor to lock the cat up.  Then I came back and tried to pick up where we left off. Later he said the feeling was like he was a balloon and I had the string and let it go and he just floated away.  He ended up flying for a bit before I could bring him back down.  We were not able to complete the astral ritual, as you could guess, but he did discover his spirit animal while he was out there.

~Lecia~

May you ever walk comfortably in the shadows. Neither blinded by the light nor lost in the dark...
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: April 04, 2007, 04:54:18 am »

Thank you for sharing those stories. Smiley  They were very interesting.  Plus all three experiments involve things that I don't do, so I think there's stuff to learn in there. Smiley

violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 04, 2007, 08:19:56 pm »

I love to experiment with magic. It's one of my great failings. *laughs*

October 2005 was a month-long experiment with death and consciousness dissolution. I did several rituals, one of which took place on the Stanley Park Ghost Train of all places (the theme for the ride was Day of the Dead). The rituals were very emotional and instructive and I'm glad I did them... even if a month later I had a seizure and blacked out. (To this day none of my doctors have figured out what the heck happened, so the going theory in my house is that I overdid it. So, er, dubious success on that one?)

I once 'made up' a demon - I called it the Demon of Inertia and created a sigil for it, an appearance, etc etc. I then summoned it into a triangle (which was blocked out with underwear for some reason I can't recall now... I think I ran out of string or something) and banished it from my life. It seemed to work decently enough as I found myself full of more energy and motivation to pursue the various projects I had on the go at the time.

I recently discovered some cheap candies packaged in a bottle with this cheesey oldschool art on it - the overall intent is to make the candy look like snakeoil medicine. I've been having some difficulties with a good friend (essentially our friendship is over) so my latest experiment is charging these candies with a "cheer up, emo kid" intent. It seems to trick me into a better mood, if onyl because it's hard to take yourself seriously when you're popping FAKE pills.

I'm sure there's plenty of other ridiculous crap I've tried that will spring to mind soon enough...

- N
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: April 05, 2007, 09:49:55 am »

I once 'made up' a demon - I called it the Demon of Inertia and created a sigil for it, an appearance, etc etc. I then summoned it into a triangle (which was blocked out with underwear for some reason I can't recall now... I think I ran out of string or something) and banished it from my life. It seemed to work decently enough as I found myself full of more energy and motivation to pursue the various projects I had on the go at the time.

That reminds me of the time I summoned and bound my depression.  I still get depression at times of course, but so long as I have the presence of mind I can tell it to go away.  (one of those cases where mundane tools are better than magical, but the magic adds an extra possibility).

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 05, 2007, 01:08:52 pm »

My plant killing experiments were probably the closest thing to true *experimentation* I've done.

I figured, since a plant is a living thing, with energy; and responds to your energy - even seems to magnify the invested energy; then one should also be able to pull that energy back out in a time of need.  Like a battery.

I had a petunia that for a good while was my pride and joy.  Spent weeks dead heading it, water, fertilizer - the works.  The thing was a monster.  I've noticed when I'm happy, my plants take on this shiny happy plant look.  When I'm bummed they start looking a bit anemic.  SO I figured I 'd see what deliberate effort would do.

Came on a rough point, and just stopped caring.  About pretty much anything.  So I started pulling back the energy out of the plant.  MINE.  ME.  Instead of me lavishing attention of the plant, I visualized the plant sending energy to me, trying to get my attention, like an obsessive crush.

In return I also visualized the plant giving off this energy like the energy of the sun shining on me.  Warming and invigorating.

I think because the plant although large for a petunia, was so small and the drain took place over the course of a few days, there wasn't much of a boost coming from it.  The plant did in fact die, but not much was gained from it.  I guess you really wouldn't get much more energy out of a petunia than you would from eating a large intentionally prepared salad.  Less because of the indirect means of energy consumption.

I'm working the theory in opposite on my garden right now.  Every day I spend some time with each plant. Sending admiration to it's various attributes, shining energy on it.

My rose bush is getting sort of scary.  I have a climber that in under 2.5 months (since coming out of winter dormancy) has reached 6ft.  That might be normal for roses though.  I've only had this one for about two years, so I'm not sure.

That one I wouldn't pull out of though, since it's become a pet more than a plant.  I've shed enough blood tying the thing up, and pruning it back that I'm invested.  It's got canes like snakes, and thorns like fangs.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
violentsound
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 05, 2007, 06:05:44 pm »

(one of those cases where mundane tools are better than magical, but the magic adds an extra possibility).

I find those sorts of situations crop up a lot, actually.

There's a book by Ramsey Dukes about personifying emotions/situations/things in order to deal with them (Uncle Ramsey's Little Book of Demons) - I haven't read it myself yet, but my sister has it waiting for me in Dublin. It sounds like it might be about stuff along the lines of what both you and I have attempted.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: April 06, 2007, 04:49:16 am »

There's a book by Ramsey Dukes about personifying emotions/situations/things in order to deal with them (Uncle Ramsey's Little Book of Demons) - I haven't read it myself yet, but my sister has it waiting for me in Dublin. It sounds like it might be about stuff along the lines of what both you and I have attempted.

Let me know if the book is any good. Smiley

violentsound
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 08, 2007, 01:01:27 am »

I have high hopes for the book since he touched on the subject briefly in S.S.O.T.B.M.E. and I found it both intriguing and amusing. But anyway, yes - I will definitely let you know if it's any good.
Fausta
Reserve Staff
Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 09:06:42 pm
Finland Finland

Religion: Thelema / Religio Romana -ish

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: April 10, 2007, 10:18:38 pm »

What has been the most interesting magical experiment you carried out (ie, where you tested a new idea, or tested a variant of a working model, etc)?

I don't know if this one really counts as my most interesting magical experiment, but it was interesting. The experiment was about getting rid of a mental block with a version of identify-objectify-banish. Something along the lines of what others in this thread have told about.

:: digs for notes ::

Ah, found 'em.

I was having troubles concentrating on meditation and even basic rituals were growing difficult to do with full concentration. Needless to say, I wasn't a happy camper about this, and each case of not succeeding as well as my own criteria told me I should have was putting a tiny bit of self-defeating anxiety into every new attempt. I had created a mental block for myself.

Something had to be done to break the cycle and get things flowing again.

A friend of mine had told me about a successful experiment of easing his neck pain with (as a short version) envisioning the pain as a nasty critter, drawing the beast, catching it on the paper and then destroying the paper and the image & beast on it.

Using my friend's experiment as a starting point of a kind, I made my own version of it. I had already noted there was a problem to do something about, identified it as a mental block and started to objectify it.
Main things I needed to change from my friend's experiment notes were:

- No drawing. At that state of mind, I would have grown anxious over my lack of drawing skills, self-defeating the whole point of the operation. Thus, I thought of another way of making the object 'visible' and thus easier to get rid of.

- I had to be sneakier. This block of mine was sitting in my head and direct approach (which I did try...) gave me a splitting headache.

- Including ritualistic elements. This critter (see, objectifying in progress Wink ) was messing with my rituals, so I decided to include traditional ritual elements as a way of showing I had an upper hand on it by the end of the working.

I started out by making the block-critter visible. I crafted a bunch of "disposable probes" and sending them out into my head. The object of these probes was to wander around where they could, without trying to get through any possible hindrances. If they met a border, they were to leave a mark. Meanwhile, I was doing something completely different - that is, not really thinking about the whole process. The probes did they thing and the outline of the block-critter and its hideout became visible, but as it wasn't really bothered in any way, my actions didn't alert it and it didn't cause headaches or similar problems.

I didn't do anything else about the matter that day, nor the next one - except for casually checking the markings were still intact. I went to bed early and got myself a nice dose of good night's sleep.

After waking up, I took action. Major part was using two consecutive banishings. First one was to drive the block out of my head and me, the other to banish it completely.

Rest of the day was dedicated to pampering myself. Cheesy There was a remarkable difference in how I felt over all and the problems were gone.

I consider the experiment successful, would do it again and have done similar workings later on as well.

Fausta Acilia Mus
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: April 11, 2007, 06:28:17 am »

I don't know if this one really counts as my most interesting magical experiment, but it was interesting. The experiment was about getting rid of a mental block with a version of identify-objectify-banish. Something along the lines of what others in this thread have told about.

:: digs for notes ::

Ah, found 'em.

That sounds very interesting.  I'm beginning to think that there's a few more parts of myself that could do with binding.  I wonder if a similar process would work for virtues as well as vices?

Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: April 11, 2007, 07:38:33 am »

That sounds very interesting.  I'm beginning to think that there's a few more parts of myself that could do with binding.  I wonder if a similar process would work for virtues as well as vices?

trying to stop being such a nice person?

I've never regarded it as magic as such - but the whole process seems similar to one of the tricks I use when im getting off-center. find and focus, then squash/break down.

although the first thing I do it the "dispel" part is have all my finders crash straight into it and cut it into managable chunks

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: April 11, 2007, 09:36:57 am »

trying to stop being such a nice person?

Heh, I was thinking more of bringing everything into line, so I have command over all of my self. Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)