The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 20, 2021, 01:24:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2021, 01:24:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Growing Perennials from seed  (Read 4027 times)
Cent
Master Member
Last Login:May 01, 2011, 05:10:44 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Of the Earth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 09, 2008, 08:39:48 pm »

I do grow a few annuals to fill in the Perennial gardens but I much prefer Perennials.
Although I was giving a bunch of Dahlias that I find tiresome digging up each fall and replanting each spring.  Tongue

I find perinnials to be very expensive *where I live anyhow*, so I bought a mini green house 5 years ago, for indoors, and starting growing my own. I've been working a number of years on the boulder gardens. I've got Rocks in the beds as well.
This year I would say once this years new plants are bedded the exisiting 2 gardens are done. *well the top tiers anyhow*
So now I'm moving on to the bottom tier's, at least the West bank boulder garden anyways. *it's smaller and half done*

Also have cracks, crevases to fill. These are large gardens with large and small cracks to fill.
Any suggestions for perennial rock garden plants would be great.

I tried last year to grow Alyssum from seed but only 2 out of 6 germinated and then about 3 weeks later the 2 seedling turned white/yellow and died. They were a white variety.
I had good success with many new perennials I tried last year but the Alyssum... not a one to plant.

So this year, as it turns out, my teen daughter was with me when I was buying seeds months ago. The only flower she choose.. just had to be Alyssum Saxatile. A yellow variety. I bought them with hopes this time I would have luck. After all my daughters namesake plant of course she would choose it.

Well I seeded many this time to have a better chance of growing this... stubborn to me plant.
Only 3 germinated... 2 have parished and one hangs on to life.
I just can't figure it, the seed packet seems straightforward enough, no special hints or anything. *I could type it up*

Does anyone have ideas as to what the problem is I'm running into?  Huh

I could stop being stuborn and go out and buy this plant, a few bought isn't so hard on the pocket book, but it would be nice to grow it myself for her.

Energy Follows Attention

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 10, 2008, 01:52:34 am »

I tried last year to grow Alyssum from seed but only 2 out of 6 germinated and then about 3 weeks later the 2 seedling turned white/yellow and died. They were a white variety.
I had good success with many new perennials I tried last year but the Alyssum... not a one to plant.

When you say mini-greenhouse, do you mean a indoor set up or something like a cold frame outside? Most alyssum need both light and warmth (best 18-20 C) to germinate, so its possible you need more of either or both - you might be starting it too early if you're doing it outdoors. (Mine generally self-seeds but when I do scatter sow there's generally no sign of it here until well into June. By August I'm looking for the scythe.)
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm
United States United States

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 11, 2008, 03:03:25 am »

I find perinnials to be very expensive *where I live anyhow*, so I bought a mini green house 5 years ago, for indoors, and starting growing my own.

Can you explain what you mean by "mini green house for indoors"?  Is this a windowsill affair or something else?

Brina
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 11, 2008, 10:11:46 am »

Also have cracks, crevases to fill. These are large gardens with large and small cracks to fill.

I have hen and chicks in the cracks next to some stairs and the retaining wall. Also wooly thyme and irish moss are going well here, seems l ike irish moss would do well up by you, don't know about the hen and chicks though.

So this year, as it turns out, my teen daughter was with me when I was buying seeds months ago. The only flower she choose.. just had to be Alyssum Saxatile. A yellow variety. I bought them with hopes this time I would have luck. After all my daughters namesake plant of course she would choose it.

Well I seeded many this time to have a better chance of growing this... stubborn to me plant.
I just can't figure it, the seed packet seems straightforward enough, no special hints or anything. *I could type it up*

well for me, I seed them like wild flowers, just throw them in the dirt and ignore them, except for occasionally watering. I wonder if you are fussing over them too much.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Hopecraft
Senior Newbie
Last Login:October 08, 2009, 03:36:27 pm
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Religion: pagan/ green witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 12, 2008, 05:18:32 pm »

I do grow a few annuals to fill in the Perennial gardens but I much prefer Perennials.
Although I was giving a bunch of Dahlias that I find tiresome digging up each fall and replanting each spring.  Tongue

I find perinnials to be very expensive *where I live anyhow*, so I bought a mini green house 5 years ago, for indoors, and starting growing my own. I've been working a number of years on the boulder gardens. I've got Rocks in the beds as well.
This year I would say once this years new plants are bedded the exisiting 2 gardens are done. *well the top tiers anyhow*
So now I'm moving on to the bottom tier's, at least the West bank boulder garden anyways. *it's smaller and half done*

I could stop being stuborn and go out and buy this plant, a few bought isn't so hard on the pocket book, but it would be nice to grow it myself for her.

with the alyssum, I would just scatter seed it outside in may, it may not bloom this year but the greens will come up and next year you'll be googling ways to get rid of it...lol.  I have a vast pathway of alyssum that started as a border planting and has gone nuts. 
A good perennial for a rocky area is lupine, they do great and add nitrates to your soil, but remember to select a perennial variety as some are annuals (I have nootka lupines, which are native to Alaska and they do great, although I've never grown them from seeds, I've just dug roots and transplanted).  Also, gerranium can do good in rockier soils too if you select the right variety.
Cent
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 13, 2008, 07:31:08 pm »

When you say mini-greenhouse, do you mean a indoor set up or something like a cold frame outside? Most alyssum need both light and warmth (best 18-20 C) to germinate, so its possible you need more of either or both - you might be starting it too early if you're doing it outdoors. (Mine generally self-seeds but when I do scatter sow there's generally no sign of it here until well into June. By August I'm looking for the scythe.)

An indoor setup.

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee261/grovercent/?action=view&current=GreenHouse1.jpg

Here's a pic when I first got it a few years ago.  *hope I did that right* Which will answer both your's and Yewberry's questions.
Soon realized didn't need the cover for the seed tray.
also install a dble tube grow lights for bottom and middle shelf. Found the electrical ones work well. Just used tiewraps to secure.

18-20 C... well that would be part of the problem with germinating then. I was using the middle self which seems to hold a temp at around 25C
Baking the little buggers I was. The lower shelf stays somewhat cooler. Probably would have been better for sure.
I also found that a rack on the shelf, to raise the seedlings half way up, closer to the lights prevents them from getting leggy. Lowering when the plants are bigger.

A good investment this was. Sure beats those covered seed trays. Bought it for $60.00 @ Canadian Tire.
Not sure how much the lights cost but made a big difference.

With a shorter summer season I thought I'd go along with... "for earlier blooms start seed indoor 6 weeks prior to last frost.
Which would be May 25th there abouts.

Looking for a scythe. *grins* my kind of plant. I want it to take over the area I plant. Hopefully choking out anything in it's path.
These are large gardens and need large splashes of plants against the scale they are in.

I have hen and chicks in the cracks next to some stairs and the retaining wall. Also wooly thyme and irish moss are going well here, seems l ike irish moss would do well up by you, don't know about the hen and chicks though.

well for me, I seed them like wild flowers, just throw them in the dirt and ignore them, except for occasionally watering. I wonder if you are fussing over them too much.

I do have Hens and Chicks. Green and Red variey. Unfortuantely the Hens all bloomed last year and died off, only leaving small chicks about.
Just when they had gotten nice and big. They grew for 3 years before they bloomed. I assume it's cycle. *shrugs*
Fussing over them too much .. ya could be.

with the alyssum, I would just scatter seed it outside in may, it may not bloom this year but the greens will come up and next year you'll be googling ways to get rid of it...lol.  I have a vast pathway of alyssum that started as a border planting and has gone nuts. 
A good perennial for a rocky area is lupine, they do great and add nitrates to your soil, but remember to select a perennial variety as some are annuals (I have nootka lupines, which are native to Alaska and they do great, although I've never grown them from seeds, I've just dug roots and transplanted).  Also, gerranium can do good in rockier soils too if you select the right variety.

Ya, I'm gonna do the scatter thing after I dig out the hard earth and replace it. I also will have to empty some of the cracks of stones and rocks. When I was first digging out the top tiers, I threw the stones into the cracks to fill them up and get rid of the black snakes.
Now.. I'll have to empty them some. *sighs* Oh well more stones and rocks to go around the veg garden to add to the making of stone walls.

Yes I grew/grow Lupine. Have 3 batches, and have grown 3 more plants to add to the new garden.
They are a Russell Mix. I have purple, purple and white, and pink and white.
The package shows yellow ones and red ones, so it would be nice if the ones I germinated this year are these colours.
I find Lupine germinate and grow easily.

Energy Follows Attention
Athystle
Journeyman
Last Login:June 26, 2011, 06:05:23 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 19, 2008, 08:42:12 am »

I have a large fieldstone walkway. I fill all the crevasses with red carpet thyme. It is very hardy, beautiful in bloom and not and gives a very nice odor as you walk up the walkway. Grows and spreads very fast.
Cent
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 23, 2008, 09:33:32 am »

I have a large fieldstone walkway. I fill all the crevasses with red carpet thyme. It is very hardy, beautiful in bloom and not and gives a very nice odor as you walk up the walkway. Grows and spreads very fast.

A fieldstone walkway sounds wonderful. I'd like to do something like that for pathways leading to the gardens, veg garden and deck.
Around the firepit would be nice too. I don't like the grass right up to it and want another ring around it.
I'll try the red carpet thyme for sure. I do have a small patch of Teverum Blue that would be good too. Perhaps next spring it will be big enough to divide.

Energy Follows Attention
Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 23, 2008, 03:56:42 pm »

A fieldstone walkway sounds wonderful. I'd like to do something like that for pathways leading to the gardens, veg garden and deck.
Around the firepit would be nice too. I don't like the grass right up to it and want another ring around it.
I'll try the red carpet thyme for sure. I do have a small patch of Teverum Blue that would be good too. Perhaps next spring it will be big enough to divide.

Perennials are often harder to strat from seed than annuals.  It is important with many of them to be sure that (if necessary) the seed is prepped properly, and that the right conditions are met.  Research is your friend.  Sometimes putting them in the fridge or the freezer does the trick, sometimes more is required - think of those seeds that are designed to go through a animal or bird digestive tract before hitting the ground in a ready made pile of compost - their outer coating has to be tough enough to make it through a digestive tract!  but often in this case the coating requires breaking down if the seed is taken directly from the plant.....research!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)