The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 15, 2021, 05:06:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2021, 05:06:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Working Skyclad(nude)  (Read 31489 times)
Mannun
Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 08:07:58 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan

There is great Wisdom in Silence

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 12, 2008, 08:27:41 am »

Do or Has, anyone here worked skyclad during ritual or a working?? Does being skyclad as opposed to robed or what have you change your energies?? If so how for the + or -?? I personally was an eclectic practitioner for a number of years and always worked robed. I eventually hooked up with a Gardnerian Coven and joined with that family and started working Skyclad. In my experience I prefer working Skyclad as it is a completely different and intense energy that manifests when I do so. I have spoken with many eclectics(mostly solitaire) whom also work skyclad and prefer it. Wondering the opinion of others??

www.witchsmark.com [Pagan Rock Band]

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 12, 2008, 09:05:48 am »

Do or Has, anyone here worked skyclad during ritual or a working?? Does being skyclad as opposed to robed or what have you change your energies?? If so how for the + or -?? I personally was an eclectic practitioner for a number of years and always worked robed. I eventually hooked up with a Gardnerian Coven and joined with that family and started working Skyclad. In my experience I prefer working Skyclad as it is a completely different and intense energy that manifests when I do so. I have spoken with many eclectics(mostly solitaire) whom also work skyclad and prefer it. Wondering the opinion of others??

I like clothes and prefer keeping them on, thank you. I actually do most of my own 'rituals' in my pj's. But then I do a lot of trance and dream-work so I suppose it makes sense.

Allstar
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 19, 2009, 03:05:02 pm

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 12, 2008, 09:19:03 am »

Generally no.  Sometimes after I take a shower at night I do my nightly devotion/meditation, and I'm already not dressed.  But that's as close as I get.  LOL.

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: May 12, 2008, 09:21:10 am »

I've never felt any particular need to work nude.  It has no particular importance in my personal practice and never has, and my religion doesn't require it.  (In fact, though I have no sources for this, my UPG is that it feels like a really strange concept for the semi-reform-recon Hellenic practice I try to keep up.)  I feel most comfortable at least partially clothed (physically as well as mentally), so I do my religious ritual clothed.  I don't do much magical ritual anymore, haven't in years, but when I did I usually did that at a level of clothedness that allowed physical comfort while allowing freedom of movement (which usually meant undies).

Then again, I'm afraid I'm horribly practical when it comes to that kind of thing and not really that concerned about what clothing will or will not do to the energy.  Energy raising isn't really a part of my religious ritual, much less the point of it.  As for magic, some of the most "energetic" moments of my life have occurred when I was fully clothed, so...  *shrug*  Never saw the need.

Which is not to say that it wouldn't be an effective thing for other people, of course.  Just that it's sort of irrelevant for me personally.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 12, 2008, 09:58:00 am »

Do or Has, anyone here worked skyclad during ritual or a working??

Nope, never worked skyclad. To be honest, I've never seen the point.  While I'll admit that it will make you more aware of your body, at least the first few times until you get used to it, I fail to see how wearing clothing will affect your performance in circle.  I've done plenty of energy work and never noticed my clothing getting in the way.

I read, somewhere, the argument of wearing street clothes that carry the subtle vibration of your daily activities causing interference with the energy being raised in circle.  While I'll concede the point, I'll also postulate that it's not the clothing of the practitioner but, rather, their mindset that causing the interference.  If the practitioner is still focused on what they did earlier in the day rather than the ritual at hand of course there will be interference.

The act of shucking one's clothes before ritual is an aid to focus on what you are doing.  The same mental/emotional space can be achieved through the use of ritual clothing charged in the manner that one would charge ritual tools or jewelry.  Much like any athlete getting ready for an event, the donning of specific clothing is an aid to focusing the mental awareness on the task at hand.

Beyond any and all of that, I have to wonder where the impetus for working skyclad came from.  Was it truly mandated as seems indicated in The Charge of the Goddess or was there a more sociological origin that drove Gardner and his folk to work in this manner?

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 12, 2008, 10:10:45 am »

I've done both, but being that I'm not exactly 'body conscious' I don't really get the heightened awareness that it can bring for some people.  When a body is used to being clothed, it feels 'funny' to be unclothed for any great length of time.  The typical reasons, shower, bath, Dr's appt, sex, or random accident are all situations where your anticipation is peaked. 

Some arguments I've hear downplaying the effects of nudity on ones personal energy are that if one is sending energy across any kind of distance, then clothing compared to mountains, buildings and things of the sort is a flimsy enough barrier to be considered non existent.

The 'focus' nudity can bring is interesting, since in order to maintain politeness one cannot spend the ritual examining others bits.  Intent and purpose would be utterly lost were someone to in the middle of an invocation become fixated on someones inconveniently located mole.

At the same time, that focus can be maintained without nudity. 

I would ask what nudity brings to a ritual that can't be attained without it? (outside of adherence to the suggestions in the "Charge")  If a message can be conveyed without nudity in an artistic sense, but nudity is still used as the medium, then the question of gratuitous nudity is raised.  Is the message nudity, or is it something else?  How much of the original intent is lost to unnecessary nudity?

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #6: May 12, 2008, 10:19:11 am »

Beyond any and all of that, I have to wonder where the impetus for working skyclad came from.  Was it truly mandated as seems indicated in The Charge of the Goddess or was there a more sociological origin that drove Gardner and his folk to work in this manner?

Personally, while the practice might have some actual, useful purposes, I think that Gardner wanted to do it because it was "naughty".  I think that a lot of the ritual practices that Gardner chose were simply to accentuate the exotic and taboo.

Sperran
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 12, 2008, 10:20:54 am »

Do or Has, anyone here worked skyclad during ritual or a working??

It's too darn cold here for me to be running around naked. 

There's no way I could work with a group that was skyclad.  Seeing some dude's dingleberries dangling would be a bit distracting.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #8: May 12, 2008, 10:31:19 am »

A lot of what already was mentioned.
I see no need to be naked for energy work (and I do quite a bit of that). Unless I believe it disturbs the flow being not nude, than chances are it will. It's all about the mind, you know.

AFAIK some of Gardners stuff is just written down the way it is, because it was his personal preference. *shrugs* Since I'm not wiccanish it doesn't matter to me anyway. IMHO dogma is stupid, whatever dogma it is.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 12, 2008, 11:30:04 am »

I'm part of a tradition which requires we all work robed. Energy is energy - what counts is what you do with it, dressed or undressed.
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 12, 2008, 11:30:41 am »

Seeing some dude's dingleberries dangling would be a bit distracting.

Yup. That's one of the reasons we work clothed.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 12, 2008, 12:04:29 pm »

Do or Has, anyone here worked skyclad during ritual or a working?? Does being skyclad as opposed to robed or what have you change your energies??

I've done both (and in both group work, occasionally, and in personal work).

For practical reasons, I tend to prefer robed, even inside. For lo, I live in the land of Minnesota, in which floor surfaces tend to be either frigid to chilly (on the winter end of the year) or sticky and ucky (on the warm side of the year). Also, there are places I just don't need cat hair, and if I'm sitting on the floor at all, chances are, there will be cat hair magnetically attracted to my body, no matter how much I cleaned before ritual.

That said, I find the particular combination of working with things that I, like many people, struggle with (body image, assumptions in society about our bodies) extremely powerful, and very much compatible with other parts of a witchcraft practice. I get where people are coming from with the distraction issue - but part of my interest is in *why* we consider it a distraction, and how that relates to our assumptions about how both sexuality and non-romantic/non-sexual relationships (such as with most circlemates or platonic friends) work.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Lunamoth42
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 10:56:08 am

Religion: New Age-influenced Celtic Polytheist & Kitchen Witch

First, there was nothing. Then it exploded.

Blog entries (0)

Lunamoth42

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 12, 2008, 12:08:43 pm »

When I first started checking out Wicca 101 books, I came across the "skyclad" idea.  I was 15 and living in my parents' house.  There was little chance I was going to even attempt my first rituals naked in that environment, since the locks on the doors were kind of useless.  (not that people in my house made a habit of walking in on each other, but if Dad knocked on the door and it took my ten minutes to respond because I was naked, he'd instantly have way more information than I was willing to share.)

To add to that, even as I got older, I never fully grokked the reasons behind it.  And I feel that if you don't really understand the reasons *why* you're doing something in a ritual setting, then you probably *shouldn't* be until you do.  Know what i mean?
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 12, 2008, 12:14:22 pm »

My ideas here are pretty much all theory rather than based on practice as I live in Middle-of-Nowhere, Massachusetts and thus there isn't anything by way of ritual available for me to attend. Personal ritual I'll do however I feel like at the time, ranging from naked to PJs to street clothes to something I chose specifically for the occasion. Outdoor ritual skyclad (when whether and location permit) is something that I find very invigorating and would love to do in a group setting. I don't think it would be distracting at all. But then my roommate frequently teases me that if there wasn't a risk of getting arrested I wouldn't ever wear clothes and, with the exception of weather necessitated occasions, she's pretty much right. Kind of like Jennet said: why would it be distracting? We've seen it all before... But then I grew up with my backyard essentially being its own mini nudist camp for our family and friends so, I guess I am just used to it.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 12, 2008, 12:55:39 pm »

Does being skyclad as opposed to robed or what have you change your energies??

I've done rituals in assorted clothing (and lack thereof), and what seems to effect the energy the most for me is what sort of ritual it is, not what I'm wearing.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)