The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 19, 2021, 06:34:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2021, 06:34:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Special Discussion: Nature and Pagan Religions  (Read 22882 times)
Cathira
Master Member
Last Login:November 01, 2008, 04:26:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Kemetically-influenced mental decoration & maintenance scheme
Awards: Site Assistant

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 14, 2008, 07:31:11 am »

Without further ado, then, here are some questions to think about; you don't have to answer them all or in any order, certainly -- they're just some thoughts to get the ball rolling.
How important is the idea of "nature" within your religion?
How is nature conceptualized within your religion?
How does nature -- concepts, imagery, attitudes toward -- function within your religion?
Where do things like agricultural festivals fit into your religion overall?
If you practice magic, how is nature figured -- is it *the* source of power, *a* source of power, totally irrelevant, what?
Etc. etc. etc.

Have fun, and stay on topic!   

As someone who is still working out her path, I won't stray too far into what any particular religion does or doesn't do. One thing that a lot of religious beliefs tend to include though, is the belief that one (or more) deities created the known universe/helped shape things. If this forms part of someone's religious beliefs, then part of respecting your deity(ies) *should* include respect for nature, in my opinion. To do otherwise just seems... hypocritical.

As far as my personal beliefs and practices go, while I am still working them out and have a definite Kemetic lean, I'm a little more pragmatic. Yes, there are deities in my chosen pantheon who created things, just as there are deities there who 'hold dominion' over aspects of nature. Doing things that help the environment, such as planting trees or recycling are things that I can (and possibly will) use as dedications to certain deities, sacrifices of my time and energy to look after things that concern them in relation to the world around us. It is also part of upholding Maat, as I understand it (still working on that one as well). If I walk along the street and don't bother to pick up a stray piece of newspaper to put in the bin two metres away, I don't really consider that to be upholding Maat (although it is a small thing in comparison to other wrongs in the world). I also consider the practical side. If we pollute and denude our planet to the point it is unliveable, we lose.

As far as nature and my religion, the ancient Egyptians don't appear to really have that distinction. They had deities of the harvest, the Nile inundation, and other various natural events, and festivals in Their honour. I would say nature was a pretty important part of their religion/lifestyle, even if it wasn't really identified as a separate aspect of their existence, the way we do now. Nature just was. I think this is where we miss a lot of what goes on, by separating nature into this 'other' thing, that needs to be feared, looked-after or pillaged for what it has to offer, instead of simply being a part of our existence. We've divorced ourselves from nature to the point where many people wouldn't kill an animal for their supper, but can happily buy prepackaged meat at the supermarket without a second thought. We complain when it rains on our day off instead of being thankful that there is more water to drink, and stay indoors on a cold, wet day instead of rugging up, going out and going ahead with our walk and experiencing nature. We work in climate-controlled boxes, look out at the sunshine and think, "I wish I was out there - I can't wait for the weekend," then proceed to spend our weekend indoors with the airconditioner because it's 'too hot' outside in that wonderful sun. We watch a documentary on the TV instead of going for a walk in the bush and seeing the animals live and active.

For my personal path, I just want to experience all of that, and make sure it is there for my own kids. That means I must be more environmentally conscious - so be it. I try to be.

I'm a cute kitty,
Small and pretty,
Feed me chocolate day and night,
Just be forewarned I have quite a bite!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.