The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 28, 2021, 08:53:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 28, 2021, 08:53:14 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Special Discussion: Nature and Pagan Religions  (Read 22961 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: May 14, 2008, 08:16:31 am »

Without further ado, then, here are some questions to think about; you don't have to answer them all or in any order, certainly -- they're just some thoughts to get the ball rolling.
How important is the idea of "nature" within your religion?
How is nature conceptualized within your religion?
How does nature -- concepts, imagery, attitudes toward -- function within your religion?
Where do things like agricultural festivals fit into your religion overall?
If you practice magic, how is nature figured -- is it *the* source of power, *a* source of power, totally irrelevant, what?

I have difficulty pinning down answers to things like these, probably in part because I'll admit I've gotten caught up in the "AM NOT!"  "ARE SO!" thing and thus have maybe not spent as much effort as I should have on really examining the role nature does or does not play in my religion beyond "it's not central".  My answers may not, therefore, be as coherent as I'd like.

My initial thought, though, would be to say that there are elements of nature in my religion.  There are plenty of deities whose sphere of influence includes natural things.  Some are really obviously tied to the sorts of things one stereotypically thinks about when one thinks of religions that feature nature; Demeter with the harvest and grains and stuff or Artemis with the wild things, for example.  Others aren't maybe what immediately comes to mind with the "nature" stereotype, but are associated with bits of nature nonetheless; Zeus and storms, Apollo and the sun, even Hades and death.  But then you also have, say, Athena and civilization, Ares and war, Hera and marriage, Hephestios and craft.  There's nature there. There's also plenty of non-nature.

As for festivals, I haven't dug into Hellenic festivals as much as I'd like, but I'm sure there's probably a harvest festival or a planting festival or something in there somewhere.  The cycle of the seasons is not a focus itself, though.  (In fact, the calendar we discussed a while ago in the Ta Hiera SIG for Reform Hellenic Reconstructionism had nothing at all to do with natural cycles.)  My sort of vague understanding is that a lot of Hellenic Recon practices today are based on what we know of ancient Athens, though, rather than the ancient Greek countryside.  Looking at it from the context of a city, it makes sense to me that festivals related to food production that's happening way out in the country would not be as prominent as festivals geared toward things that were happening in the city.

For having not much to say, I sure am babbling a lot...  *sigh*

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.