The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 25, 2020, 11:58:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2020, 11:58:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Project: Threadstarting  (Read 14542 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: May 17, 2008, 11:27:52 am »

Threadstarter Project

Threadstarters work with the message board staff to help keep a regular influx of new threads on the board. Duties consist of regular participation on the message board and starting a new Pagan-oriented discussion thread or two a week (and sometimes a couple of extra when staff requests it because things seem too slow or have bogged down into a few narrowly focused threads). Not every thread you start will take off, of course.

If you have questions, feel free to ask them in this thread. If you are interested in being considered for a Threadstarter Site Assistant position, please PM Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED), our Threadstarter Project Manager.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 11:34:28 am by Star, Reason: Randallism corrected » Logged

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 17, 2008, 04:02:06 pm »

[size=16pt]Threadstarter Project[/size]

Threadstarters work with the message board staff to help keep a regular influx of new threads on the board. Duties consist of regular participation on the message board and starting a new Pagan-oriented discussion thread or two a week (and sometimes a couple of extra when staff requests it because things seem too slow or have bogged down into a few narrowly focused threads). Not every thread you start will take off, of course.

If you have questions, feel free to ask them in this thread. If you are interested in being considered for a Threadstarter Site Assistant position, please PM Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED), our Threadstarter Project Manager.

We have official question-askers here?  lol That's fun.  And here I thought I'd get annoying with the multitude of threads I start with my own questions!

So one would basically be doing what I do anyway, or ?
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: May 17, 2008, 04:29:26 pm »

So one would basically be doing what I do anyway, or ?

More or less. The idea is to start at least one Pagan-related thread per week that is likely to be interesting to members. They will not all take off, of course. We are trying to get new blood as many people on the staff have been here so long at ALL thread ideas seem like old ideas to them.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: May 17, 2008, 04:36:07 pm »

More or less. The idea is to start at least one Pagan-related thread per week that is likely to be interesting to members. They will not all take off, of course. We are trying to get new blood as many people on the staff have been here so long at ALL thread ideas seem like old ideas to them.

I'm not even staff yet I think I've been around long enough that all thread ideas seem like old ideas to me Tongue

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: May 17, 2008, 05:10:48 pm »

I'm not even staff yet I think I've been around long enough that all thread ideas seem like old ideas to me Tongue

An excellent example of the problem we have.

Randall
Cathira
Master Member
Last Login:November 01, 2008, 04:26:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Kemetically-influenced mental decoration & maintenance scheme
Awards: Site Assistant

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 17, 2008, 06:47:14 pm »

An excellent example of the problem we have.

My main problem is in actually forming a question to ask - I was always terrible at asking questions, since I never really needed to in high school, and probably never learnt the knack. I just preferred to go find things out on my own (darn self-sufficient me again).

If I think of something interesting I'll post it here before I run off and do a search then... Cheesy

I'm a cute kitty,
Small and pretty,
Feed me chocolate day and night,
Just be forewarned I have quite a bite!
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #6: May 17, 2008, 07:05:36 pm »

My main problem is in actually forming a question to ask - I was always terrible at asking questions, since I never really needed to in high school, and probably never learnt the knack. I just preferred to go find things out on my own (darn self-sufficient me again).

If I think of something interesting I'll post it here before I run off and do a search then... Cheesy

There will be (I think) a Threadstarters lounge-area where things like how to phrase topics can be discussed, and advice asked about hot-button topics that need special handling to avoid the discussion disintegrating into 'camps' the way some do. 

I was a threadstarter on the old board, and I remember wanting to start a discussion about the usefulness of witchcraft/magic in crime, but I wasn't sure about board ethics.  I didn't want to sound like I was advocating it, but I was interested in the possibilities.  I checked then posted the thread.

If we do have a lounge set up, threadstarters will need to have their permissions changed so they can get into it, which is where PMing me and officially volunteering comes in.

There is no restriction on everyone else starting threads, too, of course.  It's just that the official volunteers will be committing themselves to a particular level of participation, and occassionally to bringing up topics that people may be interested in but hesitant to start themselves.

Marilyn

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Cathira
Master Member
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 17, 2008, 07:43:42 pm »

There is no restriction on everyone else starting threads, too, of course.  It's just that the official volunteers will be committing themselves to a particular level of participation, and occassionally to bringing up topics that people may be interested in but hesitant to start themselves.

And of course sticking around and monitoring/replying/prodding the discussion in new directions rather than taking off in the middle of the thread if it all gets sticky and difficult for example. Smiley

This (obviously) isn't a scheduled thing, so long as there's four new threads or so started each week? I found with my chats that I struggle to manage a 'scheduled' thing each week, given the way my life is headed right now, yet I can usually still find time to keep up-to-date here and so on.

If someone volunteered, are the hosts understanding of certain weeks where it might be literally impossible for them to post due to exams, and the like a few times each year, provided they generally managed to post 4 or so new items each week (or more)?

I'm a cute kitty,
Small and pretty,
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: May 17, 2008, 08:53:56 pm »

This is apart of my problem along with the inability to think of interesting discussion topics.  I can only think of one religious topic I started that had a good amount of discussion involved and that was YEARS ago on Beehive when I was a relative newbie.

That being said, I love this website and this community and I would jump at the chance to become a site assistant when a position I fell comfortable doing opens up.  I spent most of this afternoon working on what I'm contributing to MoonIvy's teen pagan FAQ, so I am willing to volunteer -- one project at a time.

My Spiritual Blog
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: May 17, 2008, 09:10:16 pm »

That being said, I love this website and this community and I would jump at the chance to become a site assistant when a position I fell comfortable doing opens up.  I spent most of this afternoon working on what I'm contributing to MoonIvy's teen pagan FAQ, so I am willing to volunteer -- one project at a time.

I suspect that's something you'll see more of as time goes on. Randall and I and the staff just simply have to have help with non-moderating duties. That's a handful in and of itself and when we think of a cool project no one has time to devote to it. Sad

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: May 17, 2008, 09:14:26 pm »

This (obviously) isn't a scheduled thing, so long as there's four new threads or so started each week?

One or two most weeks would be enough.

If someone volunteered, are the hosts understanding of certain weeks where it might be literally impossible for them to post due to exams, and the like a few times each year, provided they generally managed to post 4 or so new items each week (or more)?

Sure. You'd just have to mention it in the Assistants Lounge. These are volunteer positions. While people who consistently do not fulfill their duties will loose the position, we expect real life to come first.

Randall
Cathira
Master Member
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 17, 2008, 09:40:44 pm »

One or two most weeks would be enough.

Sure. You'd just have to mention it in the Assistants Lounge. These are volunteer positions. While people who consistently do not fulfill their duties will loose the position, we expect real life to come first.

In that case, I wouldn't mind volunteering for this one. Of course, I'll put a disclaimer up now that I have exams the first week of June and will probably be a little distracted between now and then... Smiley But now you have my mind running with a few ideas for threads. Just need to check if they've been done already... Cheesy Cheesy

I'm a cute kitty,
Small and pretty,
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #12: May 17, 2008, 10:16:43 pm »

This is apart of my problem along with the inability to think of interesting discussion topics.  I can only think of one religious topic I started that had a good amount of discussion involved and that was YEARS ago on Beehive when I was a relative newbie.

Well, damn.  You were one of the people I was going to PM a volunteer request to if you didn't do it on your own. Cheesy

As to thread-length, well, one of the things you come to realize is that some threads take off, some tank, and the same topic that tanked two months ago suddenly takes off when introduced again.  Different time, different angle, new members with different knowledge-bases, hell, the weather for all I know, all have an effect.

And as for life interfering, mine did big-time and nobody ever accused me of abandoning my duties when I suddenly wasn't posting much and just coming here for distraction.  Meat life comes first and we've all had times when we just couldn't concentrate on anything else.

Marilyn

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #13: May 17, 2008, 10:19:51 pm »

But now you have my mind running with a few ideas for threads. Just need to check if they've been done already... Cheesy Cheesy

Even if they have, you might have a fresh angle, or they might be one of the ones I was refering to above, where suddenly members are more interested than when they first appeared.  I've seen it happen a lot.

Using the search for subjects that have been discussed recently is a good idea, but if your subject isn't exactly the same, or if it's been a while, it can often spark an entirely new discussion.

Marilyn

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: May 17, 2008, 10:30:52 pm »

Well, damn.  You were one of the people I was going to PM a volunteer request to if you didn't do it on your own. Cheesy

Really?  Are there any post I made that I'm unaware of Huh

This strikes me as being odd seeing as I almost never start new threads in the religious threads (nor post to existing ones for that matter) and when I do I don't think it adds much to the conversation.

Then again, it could be that residual low self-esteem is clouding my memory which isn't that good to begin with. Undecided

My Spiritual Blog

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)