The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 26, 2020, 09:44:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2020, 09:44:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Project: Threadstarting  (Read 14405 times)
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #30: January 07, 2009, 12:28:19 am »

I was going to ask this question myself.  Many forum's members and staff have issues with double posting.  I just want to make sure for others and possibly myself, that double posters won't receive complaints.

If the subjects are very close and go up at the same time we might merge the threads, but a different take on the same subject, or a new angle on an old thread is fine.

I would be glad to help out myself.  Even though I only have a few posts at the moment and that's not much to go on with giving me a position.  I'm sure I would have no trouble finding questions.  I'm still quite new to the beliefs discussed in this site and I think of things I don't know and have to go and figure out all the time.  I'd be happy to start question threads and such.  I love a sounding board for things I'm curious about and I'm sure other members will as well.  Expect my PM Cheesy

Anybody can start threads, a 'position' isn't a requirement.  Threadstarters have their own folder where they can discuss difficult or touchy subjects and how best to phrase things.  They can also do trial runs or offer topics they don't have time to attend to properly themselves.  I'll explain more when I get your pm.

Edit: oh oh, I also wanted to suggest that you have "tryouts" or at least test possible topic starters.  Just in case myself or others have content that is too bland or doesn't fit what you are looking for (there's my self esteem thingiemabobber).

We don't really judge content, or have subjects we emphasize or discourage - it's up to the members what they choose to respond to.  Anybody can start any subject - threadstarters are just expected to raise subjects for discussion that people might be interested in but not start themselves.

Anyway, we can talk in PM.  Cheesy

Marilyn

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 10:47:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #31: January 07, 2009, 08:32:41 am »

I was going to ask this question myself.  Many forum's members and staff have issues with double posting.  I just want to make sure for others and possibly myself, that double posters won't receive complaints.

Depends on what you mean by "double posting."  Most boards complain about two or more posts by the same person in a row on the same thread. We, on the other hand prefer one post per reply, even if that means you have three or four posts in a row. If, however, you mean starting the same topic in several different boards so that more people will see it (or whatever), we do not allow that.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Artemis Rain
Apprentice
Last Login:February 07, 2009, 12:45:39 pm
Côte d'Ivoire Côte d'Ivoire

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: January 07, 2009, 10:20:26 am »

Anybody can start threads, a 'position' isn't a requirement.  Threadstarters have their own folder where they can discuss difficult or touchy subjects and how best to phrase things.  They can also do trial runs or offer topics they don't have time to attend to properly themselves.  I'll explain more when I get your pm.

Right on, initially was thinking that more rights would be required in order to post threads.  This forum functions quite differently than others, I wasn't even sure I was able to post threads yet.   I was assuming I required a 'position' or your full membership status.  Anyways, yea I can and will post new threads without 'position' erm at least in the areas I have the privilage of  Tongue.  However, I think that more activity in all areas, not just the few you specified would liven up the forum.  I used to moderate a graphic arts forum and I noticed that was a part of activity flow.

We don't really judge content, or have subjects we emphasize or discourage - it's up to the members what they choose to respond to.  Anybody can start any subject - threadstarters are just expected to raise subjects for discussion that people might be interested in but not start themselves.

Back on the graphics forum I was speaking of, there was an activity requirement for the staff.  A little different but you were talking about a weekly thread requirement.  The problem was, some of our staff would post useless threads.  We had a difficult time managing the slag, it was a mere suggestion. Smiley

Quote from: RandalS
Depends on what you mean by "double posting."  Most boards complain about two or more posts by the same person in a row on the same thread. We, on the other hand prefer one post per reply, even if that means you have three or four posts in a row. If, however, you mean starting the same topic in several different boards so that more people will see it (or whatever), we do not allow that.

I was referring to double thread posting in the sense of posting a thread that was once posted before.  I'm not talking about a person posting the same thread in multiple forums, that is obvious spam.  From my experience thread revival has been the status quo over a rebirth thread.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #33: January 07, 2009, 10:30:25 am »

I was referring to double thread posting in the sense of posting a thread that was once posted before.  I'm not talking about a person posting the same thread in multiple forums, that is obvious spam.  From my experience thread revival has been the status quo over a rebirth thread.

Heh.  TC has been around for...  what, eleven years now?  Even if you just count our time on this specific software (given that of course threads from previous incarnations wouldn't be easily accessible), that's still almost three years of posts on a relatively busy forum.  We don't expect people to slog through all that to see if the topic they want to discuss has ever ever ever been done before.  A look through recent threads to make sure you're not duplicating anything we're currently discussing or that has only just died out is nice, of course, but I'm not sure it would be reasonable for us to ask more than that.

(PS--Just a gentle nudge--I'm not sure if you got from Randall's comment that we would like you to reply to each post separately rather than combining replies like this.  Makes it easier for those of us easily confused to follow the conversation.  Wink  Plus, it makes it easier to keep those link-backs intact--they're really just as important as the quote itself.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #34: January 07, 2009, 10:36:56 am »

that's still almost three years of posts on a relatively busy forum. 

Two years.  It seems I can't do simple math this morning, sorry.  Still, that's a lot of threads.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #35: January 07, 2009, 10:37:30 am »

Two years.  It seems I can't do simple math this morning, sorry.  Still, that's a lot of threads.

you scared me there for a minute. Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Artemis Rain
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: January 07, 2009, 10:52:47 am »

We don't expect people to slog through all that to see if the topic they want to discuss has ever ever ever been done before. 

That was my point exactly.  I am a member of another forum with 100,000+ members (many inactive at this point because of their long history).  From what I understand they have their whole history accessible.  You could enter an entire sentence in their search and find it verbatim 50 times... and you would still get in trouble for not bothering to search the 100 pages of it.

(PS--Just a gentle nudge--I'm not sure if you got from Randall's comment that we would like you to reply to each post separately rather than combining replies like this.  Makes it easier for those of us easily confused to follow the conversation.  Wink  Plus, it makes it easier to keep those link-backs intact--they're really just as important as the quote itself.)

haha sorry again.  Like I said this forum operates QUITE differently than I'm used to.  I'm used to separate posts being merged or deleted.  I got the quoting thing down, I'll get the hang of the rest I promise.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:59:36 am by Artemis Rain » Logged
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #37: January 07, 2009, 12:50:47 pm »

Wow, I can't believe it's been two already.

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #38: January 07, 2009, 02:13:49 pm »

Wow, I can't believe it's been two already.

Its not. its 37 days 2 hours and 18 minuites. The rest of the time you dont really exist.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #39: January 07, 2009, 02:16:32 pm »

Right on, initially was thinking that more rights would be required in order to post threads.

Regular members are limited in what boards they can post in. Full Membership lets you post almost anywhere. Full Membership requirements are a post in our Rules area

However, I think that more activity in all areas, not just the few you specified would liven up the forum.  I used to moderate a graphic arts forum and I noticed that was a part of activity flow.

We limit the areas new members can post to because without that limit spammers and fluffs would have immediate access to the entire forum. The hosts would go mad and shut the forum down -- moving to a Regular member/Full member split a few years ago is what kept the forum open. One of the Hosts had simply got tired of having to put up with troublesome people everywhere.

Back on the graphics forum I was speaking of, there was an activity requirement for the staff.  A little different but you were talking about a weekly thread requirement.  The problem was, some of our staff would post useless threads.  We had a difficult time managing the slag, it was a mere suggestion. Smiley

We haven't had such a problem, probably because we don't have such requirements for staff. I've been running online message areas of some type (BBS boards, Fidonet echoes, a GEnie Roudtable, etc.) since the mid-1980s and long ago developed a style of running such areas -- a style that is somewhat different from that developed by those who started with an Internet forum.  Our differences confuse some (and really annoy some), but the system works well for us. Considering this forum has been around (on different servers and software) since December 1997, it seems to work. Grin
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 02:22:24 pm by RandallS, Reason: Unneeded Part of quoted message deleted » Logged

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Artemis Rain
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: January 07, 2009, 07:52:44 pm »

Regular members are limited in what boards they can post in. Full Membership lets you post almost anywhere. Full Membership requirements are a post in our Rules area

We limit the areas new members can post to because without that limit spammers and fluffs would have immediate access to the entire forum. The hosts would go mad and shut the forum down -- moving to a Regular member/Full member split a few years ago is what kept the forum open. One of the Hosts had simply got tired of having to put up with troublesome people everywhere.

We haven't had such a problem, probably because we don't have such requirements for staff. I've been running online message areas of some type (BBS boards, Fidonet echoes, a GEnie Roudtable, etc.) since the mid-1980s and long ago developed a style of running such areas -- a style that is somewhat different from that developed by those who started with an Internet forum.  Our differences confuse some (and really annoy some), but the system works well for us. Considering this forum has been around (on different servers and software) since December 1997, it seems to work. Grin

Sorry.  I didn't mean to come off as saying what's what on your forum.  I saw a thread requesting help with activity and I wanted to do my best to do just that.  I still want to help but I think we got off on the wrong foot so I'm going to shut up now.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:57:36 pm by Artemis Rain » Logged
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #41: January 07, 2009, 10:05:32 pm »

Sorry.  I didn't mean to come off as saying what's what on your forum.

I did not take it that way. I know we run TC much differently than most boards currently on the net. I was just trying to explain that we know this and see no reason to conform when the way we do things has worked well for us for years.

I saw a thread requesting help with activity and I wanted to do my best to do just that.  I still want to help but I think we got off on the wrong foot so I'm going to shut up now.

Actually, Threadstarters aren't so much to help with an activity problem as to help with a thread idea problem. After years of doing this, the hosts and regular staff are less able to think of "new" thread subjects because we have seen so much and started so many that we just don't have great thread ideas any more.  Threadstarters are a way of giving people good at thinking up such ideas and official position for doing so regularly. Sure, such threads help generate activity, but that's secondary.

Randall
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #42: January 31, 2010, 01:13:22 am »

I can start threads... LMK if I can be useful!!

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)