The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 15, 2019, 04:51:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2019, 04:51:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Eating Healthy on a budget  (Read 17165 times)
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 19, 2008, 12:05:07 pm »

I was talking to a friend in here about wanting to eat healthy but had an extremely tight budget.  She suggested adding beans and rice to my diet. Well, I really have no clue what one does with beans and the best way I like to eat rice (besides with Chinese) is with butter, salt and pepper (which I'm sure is not healthy).  So she suggested I come here and ask for help. 

What are good, healthy budget-wise ways to use these staples?  Also, do you have any other ideas for healthy eating on a budget? 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

« Reply #1: May 19, 2008, 12:40:17 pm »

What are good, healthy budget-wise ways to use these staples?  Also, do you have any other ideas for healthy eating on a budget?

Black beans and rice are a staple in my house, as are dishes like Hoppin' John and crowder peas.  Baked casseroles are a good bet for budgeting... throw in a variety of grains and vegetables, add some chicken stock and spices for flavoring, and bake covered until the liquid is absorbed & everything is cooked. 

My best tip for eating healthy on a budget...  if you have any stores that sell food in bulk bins, these are usually less expensive than buying packaged items off the shelf (example, couscous runs about $3.00/box; I can buy it bulk for 0.99/pound and add my own seasonings).   Frozen veggies are your friend as well.  Overall, they tend to be cheaper and more nutritious than what you find in your produce section.  Eggs are a relatively cheap source of protein so quiches, frittatas, and omelets tend to be budget friendly. 

Can you tell I've been on a budget for far too long?  Cheesy

mandy1216
Journeyman
Last Login:February 15, 2011, 02:13:39 pm

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 20, 2008, 12:47:01 pm »

I was talking to a friend in here about wanting to eat healthy but had an extremely tight budget.  She suggested adding beans and rice to my diet. Well, I really have no clue what one does with beans and the best way I like to eat rice (besides with Chinese) is with butter, salt and pepper (which I'm sure is not healthy).  So she suggested I come here and ask for help. 

I'm a vegetarian on a budget.  I buy things that are on sale in bulk, particularly if I can freeze them. I realize I am turning into my grandma, but its worth it.

Jim Halpert:     We didn't play many video games in Scranton. Instead we'd do stuff like.. uh, Pam and I would sometimes hum the same high pitched note and try to get Dwight to make an appointment with an ear doctor. And, uh, Pam called it... Pretendinitis.
dragonfly_high
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 20, 2008, 12:53:51 pm »

My best tip for eating healthy on a budget...  if you have any stores that sell food in bulk bins, these are usually less expensive than buying packaged items off the shelf (example, couscous runs about $3.00/box; I can buy it bulk for 0.99/pound and add my own seasonings).   Frozen veggies are your friend as well.  Overall, they tend to be cheaper and more nutritious than what you find in your produce section.  Eggs are a relatively cheap source of protein so quiches, frittatas, and omelets tend to be budget friendly. 

Can you tell I've been on a budget for far too long?  Cheesy

I checked work, they don't sell stuff like that in bulk. Sad Figures, but I'll look around some more.  The eggs idea is good.  I like egg dishes.  Have you tried frozen fruit? is that any good?

I'm a vegetarian on a budget.  I buy things that are on sale in bulk, particularly if I can freeze them. I realize I am turning into my grandma, but its worth it.

I think I'm going to have to look into freezing stuff.  The problem here is I have a tiny freezer and no money to buy one of those free standing ones. (Is that what they're called?)

I think I'm going to start hitting the farmers market and try my hand at canning. Especially salsa.  I use that on a lot of stuff and my daughter LOVES it. We buy that stuff by the bulk and it's usually gone before the week is out.
mandy1216
Journeyman
Last Login:February 15, 2011, 02:13:39 pm

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 20, 2008, 01:09:41 pm »

I think I'm going to start hitting the farmers market and try my hand at canning. Especially salsa.  I use that on a lot of stuff and my daughter LOVES it. We buy that stuff by the bulk and it's usually gone before the week is out.

I want to try canning too! I'm worried that I will end up with a freaky deaky mess.

Jim Halpert:     We didn't play many video games in Scranton. Instead we'd do stuff like.. uh, Pam and I would sometimes hum the same high pitched note and try to get Dwight to make an appointment with an ear doctor. And, uh, Pam called it... Pretendinitis.
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #5: May 20, 2008, 01:11:25 pm »

I think I'm going to have to look into freezing stuff.  The problem here is I have a tiny freezer and no money to buy one of those free standing ones. (Is that what they're called?)

Until you get your freezer, you might look into drying fruits and veggies.  A lot of veggies and most fruits reconstitute well in water, or can be eaten dried as snacks.

Sperran
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

« Reply #6: May 20, 2008, 01:57:49 pm »

Have you tried frozen fruit? is that any good?

Frozen fruit is great for baking, but I prefer fresh fruit for raw dishes like fruit salad.  But that's just me...

Another tip, if you like using herbs in cooking: Growing your own herbs (and veggies for that matter) is significantly cheaper than buying them.  For the cost of a bundle of fresh herbs from the local chain supermarkets, I can buy an herb plant and maintain it for a year (water and food).  When I want to use fresh herbs for cooking, all I have to do is walk outside and harvest just the amount I need.  At the end of the summer, everything gets harvested and dried to use over winter.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: May 20, 2008, 02:35:19 pm »

I posted this link not long ago and you might want to look it over.

http://www.slashfood.com/2008/03/25/recession-coming-a-list-of-cheap-eating-resources/

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #8: May 20, 2008, 03:32:02 pm »

What are good, healthy budget-wise ways to use these staples?

Beans and rice, beans and rice...  Cook beans.  Cook rice.  Serve beans on top of rice.  For flavor, add your favorite sauce, or your favorite herbs, or stir-fried veggies, or cheese, or...  the list goes on.  I like pinto beans and brown rice with salsa verde, myself.

I have a recipe I've posted ten bazillion times Grin for "Dressed-Up Red Beans and Rice" that I can dig up if you want.  It involves kale, bell pepper, garlic, jalapeno, and onion, though, each of which adds its own cost to the mix, so it may not be as much a budget dish.  You could probably leave out those things and use the basic method to give a little flavor to the beans on its own, though.

I've also got a recipe for homemade veggie burgers that uses brown rice and black beans as its basis, if you're interested in that.  I think most of the other ingredients are flavoring type things, so if you didn't happen to have those specific herbs and spices you could adapt to whatever you do have that sounds good.  It's been a while on this one, though, and I don't remember for sure.  (Also, this dish requires a recognition that the veggie burger is not beef and is not trying to be; if you expect it to taste like beef, it'll be horrid, but if you let it stand on its own merits it's pretty good.)

Hmmm...  Veggie bean rice soup?  Easy homemade veggie stock if you've got a crockpot:  Save up all your potato peelings, onion tops, carrots that are getting a little limp, mushroom stems, etc. until you have a big freezer bag full.  Dump into the crock pot, cover with water, season to your liking with salt, herbs, spices, etc., and let it cook on low for a while.  (8 hours?  ish?)  Then you  can throw that into a pot on the stove with the beans (probably pre-cooked) and rice (probably not pre-cooked) and whatever else you've got around to make a soup with and simmer until everything's done.

Speaking of crockpots, easiest way to cook dried beans ever.  I think I picked this up here, actually, from Brina/Yewberry?, and have been using it ever since.  Put the beans in the crock pot.  Cover with water (lots of water; they're going to soak up a lot) and leave to soak overnight.  In the morning, drain them and re-cover (see previous) with new water.  Also add any seasonings you want at this point.  Then cook on low 12-24 hours.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Ashlan
Apprentice
Last Login:February 23, 2009, 05:45:49 pm

Religion: wicca/asatru/eclectic

you never know if you don't ask

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 20, 2008, 05:06:49 pm »

Eeek!  Canning is a great way to preserve foods, but it requires a certain amount of skill and expense: and if done wrong, can be deadly (botulism).  Better to try the drying mentioned above.  Canned market goods are fine and cheap - make sure they don't have too much salt. 

As for beans and rice, well.  Lots of possibilities and flavors.  Beans w/ rice is a staple in many parts of the world.  Mix in some greens and for less than a $1 per serving (sometimes pennies) you can feed the family.  No meat needed!

Try these sites:
http://vegweb.com/
http://www.vegsource.com/
http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/

for ideas and sources for veggie based recipes.  Try to over-look some of the more - ah - profane rhetoric if it bothers you.   Roll Eyes

Also, if you have a good library nearby, put it to use.  Many libraries are part of a larger, regional organization which trades books amongst each other - take advantage of this, also.

Good luck!

Ash
dragonfly_high
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 20, 2008, 05:34:08 pm »

Until you get your freezer, you might look into drying fruits and veggies.  A lot of veggies and most fruits reconstitute well in water, or can be eaten dried as snacks.

Sperran

I do have a food dehydrator!  I lost the instructions though.  Last summer I tried drying some fruit, it was interesting. lol  I never thought about reconstituting them.  That's a good idea though.
dragonfly_high
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 20, 2008, 05:36:37 pm »

Frozen fruit is great for baking, but I prefer fresh fruit for raw dishes like fruit salad.  But that's just me...

Another tip, if you like using herbs in cooking: Growing your own herbs (and veggies for that matter) is significantly cheaper than buying them.  For the cost of a bundle of fresh herbs from the local chain supermarkets, I can buy an herb plant and maintain it for a year (water and food).  When I want to use fresh herbs for cooking, all I have to do is walk outside and harvest just the amount I need.  At the end of the summer, everything gets harvested and dried to use over winter.

I'm starting some container plants.  I tried growing vegs in my backyard, but they did awful, though the year before when I grew some tomatoes in a container they did awsome.  I think it's my soil, I thought it was clay but not sure.  Some day I shall have to buy one of those soil testers.  Funny thing is my bulbs grow like wildfire.  Go figure. Smiley
dragonfly_high
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 20, 2008, 05:38:07 pm »

I posted this link not long ago and you might want to look it over.

http://www.slashfood.com/2008/03/25/recession-coming-a-list-of-cheap-eating-resources/

I remember this link!  I had bookmarked it but FireFox upgraded and I lost all my bookmarks. I hate it when FireFox does that.  I can retrieve them, but it takes me forever cause I never remember how I did it last time.
dragonfly_high
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 20, 2008, 05:41:57 pm »

I would love those recipes. Cheesy
dragonfly_high
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 20, 2008, 05:48:03 pm »

Eeek!  Canning is a great way to preserve foods, but it requires a certain amount of skill and expense: and if done wrong, can be deadly (botulism).  Better to try the drying mentioned above.  Canned market goods are fine and cheap - make sure they don't have too much salt. 

Really?!? I didn't realize that.  Embarrassed  My grandma used to can all the time, I found her old canning stuff, that's why I was thinking of trying it.  Yeah, I think I'll stick with the drying stuff.

As for beans and rice, well.  Lots of possibilities and flavors.  Beans w/ rice is a staple in many parts of the world.  Mix in some greens and for less than a $1 per serving (sometimes pennies) you can feed the family.  No meat needed!

Try these sites:
http://vegweb.com/
http://www.vegsource.com/
http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/

for ideas and sources for veggie based recipes.  Try to over-look some of the more - ah - profane rhetoric if it bothers you.   Roll Eyes

Also, if you have a good library nearby, put it to use.  Many libraries are part of a larger, regional organization which trades books amongst each other - take advantage of this, also.

Good luck!

Ash

Thanks for the links. Cheesy  Looks like I have a lot of exploring to do.  You know, I don't know why I didn't think of the library.  I go there just about every week. lol

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)