The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 23, 2020, 09:01:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2020, 09:01:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fluff Bunny  (Read 6237 times)
Mannun
Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 08:07:58 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan

There is great Wisdom in Silence

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 21, 2008, 09:17:19 am »

What is your definition of a Fluff Bunny??

www.witchsmark.com [Pagan Rock Band]

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

rebelleink
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 25, 2009, 02:00:53 am

Religion: earthy

My path is dirt. And I walk barefoot.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 21, 2008, 09:35:01 am »

I like this defination: The primary definition of a Fluffy Bunny is one who refuses to learn, refuses to think, and refuses to consider the possibility that they could possibly ever be wrong. Generall, they find one book, author or website and follow it as if it were the holy word, frequently denouncing anything that disagrees with it as obviously false. Fluffy Bunnies rarely get past the defense of "Because [insert favorite author here] says so." Sometimes they don't even get that far, responding to any and all criticism with something like, "You're just trying to persecute me!"

from http://wicca.timerift.net/fluffy.shtml
Anda
Apprentice
Last Login:July 24, 2008, 03:11:08 pm

Religion: Eclectic Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 21, 2008, 09:43:50 am »

I had never heard this term until a few years ago, when a pantheonist coworker shared it with me, so I guess my definition is hers: Someone who is entrenched in the practices of earth religions, but has an unbalanced positive view of the Universe, focuses only on practices that are "neat," and/or avoids more advanced study or practices because they may be somehow associated with negativity. For example, a practitioner who has convinced herself that past Pagans lived in a Utopia and that sacrifices, war and pain did not exist; a practitioner who only practices if (s)he can use a crystal pendulum, ankle bells or tools with fairies on them; a practitioner who denies that sacrifice of any kind, glossolalia, Divine posession or other practices are valid for Pagans, simply because they might cast a shadow on an eternally positive view.

IMO, there's nothing inherently wrong with being a fluffy. Each person needs something different from his/her beliefs, and most of us have gone through a phase of needing the constant positive reinforcement and powerful hope that can come from a fluffy path. However, a fluffy who remains a fluffy forever will probably not grow and evolve as much as (s)he could have if (s)he embraced the duality of Paganism. Just my two cents...

Anda

"Hope is a risk that we must run." ~ George Bernandos

Anda and her Projects
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 21, 2008, 09:58:15 am »

Rebelleink pretty much covered what I was going to say as far as defining the term.  I think willful ignorance is at the heart of the definition.   

No matter how it's defined, it's not a term that I use very often.    The term "fluffy bunny" implies that there's a flaw in the person's character, rather than in their ideas.  I'm more likely to call an idea or practice "fluffy" rather than a person. IME,  it's much easier to sway someone and get them to listen if you're debating their ideas rather than their character.

rebelleink
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 21, 2008, 10:17:21 am »

The term "fluffy bunny" implies that there's a flaw in the person's character, rather than in their ideas. 

Totally agree. I think most (if not all) people have held fluffy ideas in one form or other. It's part of journey. Also, fluff-dom is not just reserved for Pagans et al. I know plenty of fluffy Christian ideas. Plenty of fluffy secular ideas too. 
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: May 21, 2008, 10:45:44 am »

I like this defination: The primary definition of a Fluffy Bunny is one who refuses to learn, refuses to think, and refuses to consider the possibility that they could possibly ever be wrong. Generall, they find one book, author or website and follow it as if it were the holy word, frequently denouncing anything that disagrees with it as obviously false. Fluffy Bunnies rarely get past the defense of "Because [insert favorite author here] says so." Sometimes they don't even get that far, responding to any and all criticism with something like, "You're just trying to persecute me!"

I don't mean to pick on you, but to me that sounds like my definition of fundie.  But I must admit that I did enjoy that image of Falwell with rabbit ears and a fluffy tail that popped into my head.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but given the above definition, how would you (general you) differentiate a fluffy from a fundie?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 21, 2008, 10:53:13 am »

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but given the above definition, how would you (general you) differentiate a fluffy from a fundie?

My initials thoughts are that fluffies think that everything is all white light and butterflies, there is no dark side or evil, and everything is "whatever you want it to be". 

Fundies, on the other hand, have strict ideas on what is correct and what is not and if you screw up, you suffer eternal damnation.

I'm not sure how to better convey those thoughts... Huh

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: May 21, 2008, 10:54:55 am »

I don't mean to pick on you, but to me that sounds like my definition of fundie.  But I must admit that I did enjoy that image of Falwell with rabbit ears and a fluffy tail that popped into my head.

Believe it or not, there is a real correlation between fundies and fluffs. Their approach to expanding their knowledge base is almost identical.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
rebelleink
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 21, 2008, 11:00:31 am »

how would you (general you) differentiate a fluffy from a fundie?

That's a good question. I don't think there is much difference. Building on what Aisling said: with Fundies it might be more of a character trait, where as Fluffies it's more idea-based? There is also a degree of militancy (I think I just made up a word) that I associate with Fundies. That may just be the fundies I have personally dealt with.
rebelleink
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 21, 2008, 11:02:27 am »

Believe it or not, there is a real correlation between fundies and fluffs. Their approach to expanding their knowledge base is almost identical.

yeah, that's a better way of putting it. I guess there is a reason it's called the 'straight and narrow path'  It's also called tunnel vision.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: May 21, 2008, 11:18:37 am »

yeah, that's a better way of putting it. I guess there is a reason it's called the 'straight and narrow path'  It's also called tunnel vision.

*spews french fry chunks over screen*

That's one way of putting it Cheesy

So what I'm getting is that fluffies and fundies are related species with these differences:

Fluffies tend to think the world is all love and light where nothing you can do  can ever go wrong.  But I know off some fluffies that believes in a dark side and seem to be afraid of it.  Also would the persecution complex many of them seem to have shows they do know of dark forces?

Fundies believe in a version of hell in which everyone who their god deems "undesirable" will go.  Except when the individual fundie does sinful things.  Then it's not sin or hypocrisy because God loves them more than anyone.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 21, 2008, 11:27:30 am »

And said approach would be to either run screaming or cry persecution when faced with new ideas?   Wink

I have to agree with this.  Both fluffs and fundies willingly embrace an incredibly narrow religious focus and refuse to relinquish their ideas, even in the face of contrary evidence.  I think there may be some differences, but I'm having a hard time putting my finger on them at the moment. 

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:July 10, 2020, 02:41:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: May 21, 2008, 11:54:45 am »

And said approach would be to either run screaming or cry persecution when faced with new ideas?   Wink

I have to agree with this.  Both fluffs and fundies willingly embrace an incredibly narrow religious focus and refuse to relinquish their ideas, even in the face of contrary evidence.  I think there may be some differences, but I'm having a hard time putting my finger on them at the moment. 

I posted something on the old board about just that.  Smiley  I tend to think of fluffiness/fundiness as being part of an overall behavior pattern, not really limited to religion -- people who exhibit fluffy/fundy behavior in religion are likely to do so in other places as well.  But anyway, here's my breakdown:

"I think there's overlap between "fluffy" and "fundie" -- they're both willfully ignorant -- but they're not identical. (I don't categorize plain old ignorance as fluffy -- there needs to be a *refusal* to learn better to be fluffy, in my book.) But fundies are more... hard-headed. To be a fundie, there needs to be (like others have mentioned) a lot of One-True-Wayism, literalism w/r/t texts, cherry-picking, pissiness when other ideas are mentioned, and fetishization of authority, however that authority is defined. A "pure" fluffbunny usually isn't like that; think of the "this is my opinion, and all opinions are valid!" crowd -- pretty much the antithesis of "fundie," although equally obnoxious.

Like many here, I tend to think that "fluffy" or "fundie" or "fluffy fundie" is more a *personality type* than any kind of specific position. With that in mind, I also think that various religions -- or even various sects within a religion -- are usually more prone to attracting one than the other. Eclectic forms of Wicca, for example, attract more fluffies than fundies -- the nature of the religious outlook isn't the most congenial environment for fundyism, but fluffies can thrive there; likewise, a fundie Unitarian is almost a contradiction in terms, but a fluffy Unitarian is perfectly possible. Reconstructed religions, on the other hand, seem to attract a LOT more fundies than fluffies -- the emphasis on primary texts and historical accuracy are anathema to fluffies, but ideal means for fundies to express their pathology."
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: May 21, 2008, 12:00:15 pm »

Or sticking their fingers in their ears while saying "LALALALALALALALA I can't HEAR you."

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 21, 2008, 12:04:03 pm »

"I think there's overlap between "fluffy" and "fundie"
Something else that they share:  a lot of people have mentioned that fluff bunnies have a tendancy towards persecution complexes.  This is also extremely common among the fundie Christians that I've known.  

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)